Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nitsuga posted:

OP might still need Audacity to add silence for the offset though, right? Or is VLC that cool?

I haven’t used that feature so I can’t be sure, but the answer probably is VLC is that cool. You can set offsets for almost anything in VLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nitsuga posted:

OP might still need Audacity to add silence for the offset though, right? Or is VLC that cool?

Hmmm, the :audio-desync option appears to not work correctly with the additional audio stream. The j & k keys for manual delay do still work, so if it's just a little bit off you can do that.

Otherwise yeah you'd need to edit the 2nd audio source, but at that point you may as well re-mux the streams into a new file as spincube suggested.

edit: oh wait, Jack Trades wants to play both the original audio track and the new audio track at the same time. The internet says that's supposed to be possible with --sout-all command line switch but it doesn't seem to work in this case.

TBQH I'd google for whatever rifftracks and those people use for their stuff

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 24, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Klyith posted:

VLC -> Open Multiple Files -> Show more options -> Play another media synchronously

The answer to any A/V question is "yes, VLC can do that".

could I use this to slowly layer in an audio track to make a song gradually fade in or should I be using another tool

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

could I use this to slowly layer in an audio track to make a song gradually fade in or should I be using another tool

no, you should use a real AV editor for that kind of thing

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

I mean, if you want to do it manually every time you want to listen to it sure.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

There's no explicit recommendation in the OP so I'm hoping someone can assist - what's the best AV/Malware protection available right now? At my office we used webroot for a while but switched to Sentinel One after a cybersecurity incident, and it has been terrific - a bit intense and unavailable for home use it seems, but I'm open to anything. I've got BitDefender, and I paid for it, but it is driving me absolutely insane with the loving popups. I've tried everything they list in the forums but their official line is still "if it blocks an attack you will always get a popup because you may need to take action" - well apparently the world's hackers love me because I get attacked every five minutes, but the goddamn popups take "control" as top window so it interrupts emails, work that I'm doing, virtual presentations... I've had enough.

So - any paid solution I'm totally fine with, and free solutions are fine as well. Protection from hacks, password stealing, banking info, etc is very important so I do just want the best that I can get.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Defender (that is, the built-in AV) is Good Enough these days for most home users (and even enterprises). Don't turn down your UAC settings or you're fighting an uphill battle. Browser ad-blockers also help with avoiding malware.

And should go without saying, but keep your software - especially windows and browsers (easy since they do it automatically by default) - up to date. AV can only do so much when you choose to run known exploits by not patching.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 2, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Guitarchitect posted:

There's no explicit recommendation in the OP so I'm hoping someone can assist - what's the best AV/Malware protection available right now? At my office we used webroot for a while but switched to Sentinel One after a cybersecurity incident, and it has been terrific - a bit intense and unavailable for home use it seems, but I'm open to anything. I've got BitDefender, and I paid for it, but it is driving me absolutely insane with the loving popups. I've tried everything they list in the forums but their official line is still "if it blocks an attack you will always get a popup because you may need to take action" - well apparently the world's hackers love me because I get attacked every five minutes, but the goddamn popups take "control" as top window so it interrupts emails, work that I'm doing, virtual presentations... I've had enough.

So - any paid solution I'm totally fine with, and free solutions are fine as well. Protection from hacks, password stealing, banking info, etc is very important so I do just want the best that I can get.

Just use Defender. The business of most modern AV is not to actually offer real protection, but to provide the illusion of protection while driving sales / up-selling. Most AV software actually increases the number of attack vectors available to potential malware.

Don't pay for AV. Just use Defender. Stop clicking on stupid poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Even for business use? From what I recall a lot of security software was basically just repackaging defender’s poo poo anyways, and now Microsoft has a Defender for Business that’s supposed to be upgraded

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It has been a very long time since I have acted as a domain admin of some variety, so what I'm about to say is dated information and should be treated as such.

Historically, AV in the business is way less about being an 'Anti-Virus' solution and a lot more about being, 'Remote Domain Management With Features and Stuff' solution. So, one of the things we did with our AV solution at the time was we tracked when people plugged in USB storage, what they moved on and off of it, and what they ran off of it. We had some flags where if you ran something we didn't recognize, we'd silently block that hoping to prompt a ticket so we could look at it more. We also applied a bunch of specific policies that you couldn't (or were hard) to do with GPO.

The actual Antivirus part of it was borderline useless, but we did get mileage out of the management tools. An older, wiser version of me however thinks that you could probably accomplish all of that with better Sys Admins who know more about GPO and Window's built in features.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My agency is full of olds and there is no such thing as "stopping them from clicking on poo poo". We use McAfee on all the machines and, well, we haven't had any compromises in over a decade and we get good reporting on what gets quarantined, and we've only rarely had a false positive pop, and we usually catch those in test. I'm pretty sure we don't let people jam unencrypted USB devices in anything, so unless someone finds some novel malware that executes on merely detecting the device, I'm not too concerned with that. I'm not sure what we have scanning exchange, though. Not my area. Can you do with just Defender? Probably. Should you set up reporting and alerts regardless of what you use? Absolutely.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jokes posted:

Even for business use? From what I recall a lot of security software was basically just repackaging defender’s poo poo anyways, and now Microsoft has a Defender for Business that’s supposed to be upgraded

You'd license one of the Defender SKUs to be able to provide proof that your endpoints are up-to-date with definitions and for extra features like alerting you to vulnerabilities in 3rd party software and suggesting best practise configurations for Windows clients. You can manage the Windows-integrated Defender with Intune as well to get a subset of those feature.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That's where Microsoft will start trying to sell 365 E5 licenses and the security suite there.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It has been a very long time since I have acted as a domain admin of some variety, so what I'm about to say is dated information and should be treated as such.

Historically, AV in the business is way less about being an 'Anti-Virus' solution and a lot more about being, 'Remote Domain Management With Features and Stuff' solution. So, one of the things we did with our AV solution at the time was we tracked when people plugged in USB storage, what they moved on and off of it, and what they ran off of it. We had some flags where if you ran something we didn't recognize, we'd silently block that hoping to prompt a ticket so we could look at it more. We also applied a bunch of specific policies that you couldn't (or were hard) to do with GPO.

The actual Antivirus part of it was borderline useless, but we did get mileage out of the management tools. An older, wiser version of me however thinks that you could probably accomplish all of that with better Sys Admins who know more about GPO and Window's built in features.

This and also compliance/checking off requirements from on high.

I'm sure Defender will catch a lot of the low hanging fruit but the arms race between antivirus and virus was lost years ago.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
JUST PATCH

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1575865934429900801.html

quote:

Exercise - I'm going to live tweet how long it takes me to patch an enterprise Exchange Server 2016 to latest security update (not including ProxyNotShell, as no update out yet).

This one was last patched a few months ago.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've got an Excel spreadsheet I use for marking, and then use Word to mail merge it. One of the sections is used for flagging up spelling errors. I enter the problematic word, and then it concatenates it together eg to:

You have spelt "specific" incorrectly.

I would love that to be output as

You have spelt specific incorrectly.

Is it possible in Word with a mail merge to make it format anything in a certain part as bold if surrounded by speech marks? It would make it that little bit clearer.

Thanks

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I admit I am pretty bad with mail merge but a search for "conditional mail merge" seemed to give a bunch of tutorials that might help?

I'm not sure how Word is meant to flag up spelling errors in a mail merge, though... are you relying on Word to sanitise Excel cell entries that might be incorrect?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a way to have a mouse keep moving even if you've stopped it? I play Dead By Daylight and use mouselook, and there are times where I need to do a complete 360 turning the mouse, but I only have so much space on my desk. I can pick the mouse up, move it, then continue moving it but by then it becomes too late. It'd be nice if there was a way to set it up so "Move mouse Left it keeps moving left until you move a different direction"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

Is there a way to have a mouse keep moving even if you've stopped it? I play Dead By Daylight and use mouselook, and there are times where I need to do a complete 360 turning the mouse, but I only have so much space on my desk. I can pick the mouse up, move it, then continue moving it but by then it becomes too late. It'd be nice if there was a way to set it up so "Move mouse Left it keeps moving left until you move a different direction"

Adjust your mouse sensitivity.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Along those lines, some mice have a physical button for toggling between high and low sensitivity, or for cycling through a few sensitivity levels. The mouse I use, for example, has a button that cycles between 800, 1200, and 1600 DPI.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Comedy option: Play with a trackball.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Thanks. I've turned the sensitivity up all the way in Windows already and that still wasn't enough, but I forgot about Razer's software so I'll give that a shot.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
FanControl is a free and amazing lightweight fan control (duh) app, especially if you are looking to implement custom case fan curves based on current GPU temperatures, which AFAIK is not supported in most BIOSes yet.

For example, in my use case with my 2 custom curves:
My rear fan spins 60% at minimum at all times, goes to 100% when GPU hits 72C.
My 2 front fans remains off until GPU hits 72C after which both goes 100%.

Hysteresis is supported to minimize underwanted fan fluctuations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone know how I'd go about playing this on Windows 10?

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/kid-pix-studio-deluxe-3lt

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NotNut posted:

Does anyone know how I'd go about playing this on Windows 10?

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/kid-pix-studio-deluxe-3lt

Dosbox should do it, but if this is good enough it's probably easier:

https://kidpix.app/

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Dosbox should do it, but if this is good enough it's probably easier:

https://kidpix.app/

How would you install it with Dosbox?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d probably just use a guide like this

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3AInstalling-Windows-3.x

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You might be better off running the Mac version in Sheepshaver or Basilisk II.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'll try that, thanks

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I have a low powered spare laptop that would ideally be better suited as an extra screen to my main laptop than a separate machine. Is there any sort of software that will treat a separate pc as an extra screen?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I built a new PC running Windows 11, if I hook up the system drive from my old (Windows 10) PC I know that I can't boot off of it but can I still access it in Explorer to copy files off of it?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

beuges posted:

I have a low powered spare laptop that would ideally be better suited as an extra screen to my main laptop than a separate machine. Is there any sort of software that will treat a separate pc as an extra screen?

You're probably better off with a small, cheap monitor.

But you can enable what you're talking about natively by going to "Projecting to this PC" in settings on the spare laptop, then connecting to it from Display settings on the main laptop.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Incessant Excess posted:

I built a new PC running Windows 11, if I hook up the system drive from my old (Windows 10) PC I know that I can't boot off of it but can I still access it in Explorer to copy files off of it?

Yes, assuming the drive was not encrypted with bitlocker, which on Win10 you would have to have chosen intentionally.

(Actually you probably can boot off it, 10 is pretty good about dealing with hardware changes including even swapping between Intel & AMD. Combo of improvements made by MS, and PC hardware finally getting to the point where all the important stuff is either an open standard or supports an open standard for basic functionality in addition to the proprietary drivers.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And if you do have bitlocker on, it's no worse than entering your recovery key when it asks. If you signed into windows 10 with a Microsoft account, you can look it up in your account settings online.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hope this is the right place to ask but I'm not sure where to put it.

I really need to save two videos on two different sites just incase they are ever deleted I'd like to have my own copy. One video is on YouTube and one is on the PBS.com site. I've tried some chrome extensions but none of them worked.

Is there an easy way to save these? One of them is small news story that PBS did with my father and I'd like to have it saved to another place.

Anyone have a suggestion here?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

MarcusSA posted:

I really need to save two videos on two different sites just incase they are ever deleted I'd like to have my own copy. One video is on YouTube and one is on the PBS.com site. I've tried some chrome extensions but none of them worked.

Is there an easy way to save these? One of them is small news story that PBS did with my father and I'd like to have it saved to another place.

http://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MarcusSA posted:

For PBS I just tried it with a program called JDownloader 2 which I grabbed years ago for some weirdly hosted meditation videos, and it was able to find and download the mp4 from a PBS.org video. Basically I just copied the url and it showed up in the link grabber tab as an mp4, hit download and now it's on my hard drive.
https://jdownloader.org/download/index

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

jdownloader 2 is a very powerful tool and it almost always works, and I believe it's well-regarded by the internet. I personally use it because I grew up on an internet where you can right click images and videos and save them and it's loving stupid to not maintain that functionality into the future.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Stupid question: For the first time ever, I set my wallpaper to change every 24 hours from images in a folder. Except that it picks a different image for each of my monitors. I don't see an option to make both monitors use the same random image. Am I missing something? I guess I could edit the files to be double images and select "span" for the fit, but that's stupid if that's the only option.

They're all illustrations by different artists with different styles, colors, line weights, and themes. They clash!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the other day, I activated the Transcription feature of Microsoft Teams for the very first time ever and I was solidly impressed with how well it worked

is there a piece of software that can just do plain speech-to-text as a way for me ... ti type? Like, I open it up and press a button and start talking and it takes it down for the purpose of me copy-pasting the text output to use in an email (or a forum post?)

for that matter, is the quality of such transcription likely exclusive to Teams, such that any other solution I might try will not be of the same caliber?