Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Nam Taf posted:

Where is it not disabled when you disable it in Vista/7? I've not noticed cleartype anywhere after disabling it.

He means that when you turn it off in Vista/7, the default rendering behaviour is still a little bit of ClearType.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Spekkio posted:

Anyone had a problem using RDP nested within another RDP?

I remote into our server at work, then into my workstation. It connects fine but it seems to display two cursors?
No big problem. Just a little something I noticed.
I've done the same thing but haven't noticed this behavior. Do you run your RDP session full screen or windowed?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

NFX posted:

I have the same problem on my Dell Latitude 6400.
If I turn the brightness all the way down in Windows (via the Win+X shortcut), the display turns off, and it won't turn back on.

However, I can fix this by using the Fn + Left Arrow shortcut, to cycle the brightness modes. Maybe a similar keyboard shortcut will work for you?
Doesn't work. The shortcut buttons for brightness don't work, and the power profiles seem to have the brightness locked at near-minimum.

This pretty much renders the laptop useless, unless I have an external monitor, which I do not.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
I got all angry with ClearType being fuzzy when I first installed 7 but then I realised it was because I had my monitor at the wrong refresh rate :doh:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

osigas posted:

I got all angry with ClearType being fuzzy when I first installed 7 but then I realised it was because I had my monitor at the wrong refresh rate :doh:

Speaking of this, my monitor always resets itself to 59 hertz. How can I fix this so it stays at 60?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I cannot for the life of me figure out the Cleartype haters. I'll concede that everyone is different, and ocular acuity differs between people to a large degree, but I'm typing in Windows 7 now and the text seems as sharp and crisp to me as it's ever been, and I'm in an office full of different people that seem to agree (we're the rare small business that moved to Vista).

Yet there seems to be a vocal minority online that just can't stand it. It can't all just be lovely monitors either. Maybe it's one of those things where your eyes just have to get used to it, then it's fine. If that's the case, may I suggest you Cleartype haters start now because I'm sure of one thing, it isn't going back to the way it was.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

kri kri posted:

Speaking of this, my monitor always resets itself to 59 hertz. How can I fix this so it stays at 60?

I believe you can directly modify the monitor's driver inf (if you can download one from the manufacturer's website) and delete out the refresh rates you don't want it to use. There are also some older utilities like ReForce that were for 2000/XP that may work on Windows 7, but I really don't know.

Data
Jan 11, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Cheap TN panels are your problem. ;) So you're telling me that every single tuning option looks fuzzy/blurry to you?
Why do I have to go through this every time I mention cleartext? It's tuned correctly, yet it still looks blurry compared to the crisp pixel outlines of regular text.

Is it really so hard to believe that some people don't like this feature?

Nam Taf posted:

Where is it not disabled when you disable it in Vista/7? I've not noticed cleartype anywhere after disabling it.
I can't quite remember exactly, but last time I tried it it popped up in a number of places - dialog boxes especially, as far as I can remember. It's bizarre that they'd include an option to disable it, yet then proceed to disable it only in some parts of the OS. It's very sloppy.

ErIog posted:

Have you tried going through the cleartype tuner in 7? It made text even look better on an old as holy loving gently caress Dell all in one machine with built in old rear end 1024x768 panel.

I know you're set on getting rid of it, but I think you should give it one more try. When configured properly, I find the text to be clearer than without it. It's not supposed to be making type fuzzy in any way. It's supposed to be optimizing text for your monitor so that it IS crisp.
I haven't been able to install windows 7 due to various freezes/blue-screens, but if there isn't a way to disable ClearType I won't be trying it again until I'm forced to.

The way it works is by utilising RGB subpixels, theoretically tripling the horizontal resolution available for each character. The problem is that sub pixels remove the clear 1 pixel boundary of regular text, and introduce unopposed colours. Regular text is already incredibly sharp and crisp. White pixel, black pixel, white pixel. It can't get any sharper. ClearType makes text look a lot smoother and less pixelated - far smoother actually. But less sharp. The clear, sharp, pixel borders are blurred. I find this much more difficult to read.

For example:

Look at that l. From one clear, contrasted black pixel, to (255,234,186)-(114,0,114)-(186,234,255). It looks smoother at 100%, but it's not sharper, to me anyway.

Ixian posted:

If that's the case, may I suggest you Cleartype haters start now because I'm sure of one thing, it isn't going back to the way it was.
I could probably hold out till XP is completely obsolete - presumably dot pitch will decrease a lot in that time making ClearType far more tolerable.

\/ Eh, people don't understand. Suffice to say that as much as I'd like to use it, for whatever reason it makes reading much more difficult for me and I want it off.

Data fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 22, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

e: ehh, gently caress it

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure you can turn off ClearType, you just have to turn it off in the ClearType settings and in Adjust Visual Effects to get it everywhere.

At least, I just did it and I can't find a single instance of ClearType anywhere. And I loving hate it, ew. Going back immediately.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

kri kri posted:

Tried changing the resolution in the Catalyst Control Centre?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Data posted:

Why do I have to go through this every time I mention cleartext? It's tuned correctly, yet it still looks blurry compared to the crisp pixel outlines of regular text.

Is it really so hard to believe that some people don't like this feature?

Not hard to believe, but I'm going to stick with the crappy panel, bad eyes, get your head checked line of thought :shobon:

In all seriousness it probably has something to do with the rods/cones in your eyes working differently than the majority of people or something like that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Data posted:

Doesn't look like that zoomed in for me, looks like lovely, poorly configured ClearType.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

big mean giraffe posted:

ClearType.

I took this word, screencapped it, and blew it up. Here's Win7's ClearType:

Edit: Hm, doesn't look all that different. I used to be "gently caress ClearType", but I tried on Win7 and got used to it after about a week, and now I probably would be uncomfortable without it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Zuffox posted:

Well this is annoying: On my laptop, the brightness is turned all the way down, and doesn't change if I crank up the settings. The computer also sleeps on log-in now.

WTF
Solved. Or, sort of. Uninstalled the Power Manager, and problem gone.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

I took this word, screencapped it, and blew it up. Here's Win7's ClearType:

Edit: Hm, doesn't look all that different. I used to be "gently caress ClearType", but I tried on Win7 and got used to it after about a week, and now I probably would be uncomfortable without it.

I wonder how that looks with red blue 3d glasses

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

kri kri posted:

I wonder if this is just a weird typo. I have a different monitor and nvidia graphics card and it also gets stuck on 59hz.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

hobb posted:

I wonder if this is just a weird typo. I have a different monitor and nvidia graphics card and it also gets stuck on 59hz.

Also having this issue, haven't found a fix yet (or even if it's a problem)

edit: Apparently for nVidia users it's a driver issue, the new May 6th beta drivers on the nVidia site seem to have fixed it

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2009

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

hobb posted:

Unless you're using a CRT monitor, refresh rate is irrelevant.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Stupid question, do most of the virus protection stuff out work with 7?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

LorneReams posted:

Stupid question, do most of the virus protection stuff out work with 7?
Yes. Most. AVG allegedly slows down Windows, but that's the well-deserved punishment for using AVG.

Try out Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor Beta to see if any of you installed software (antivirus included) would be incompatible with Windows 7.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I asked this in the other windows 7 thread, but it may be more appropriate here:

Can I install this with a bootloader on my system? Vista SP1 bombed the install with an error code that when I looked up, ended up being due to having grub as a boot loader.

Also if I install this on another volume than my XP install will I have any problems dual booting?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've been running 7 x64 for about 3 weeks now and it's suddenly developed a weird networking issue.

Basically if any application is downloading anything whatsoever (browser downloading a file, a newsreader downloading binaries, a torrent client downloading a torrent, something downloading an update) the entire system just shits itself and grinds to a halt (although the download chugs along at its usual speed, whatever that happens to be). Mouseclicks become unresponsive, the cursor turns jerky and flits around or refuses to move in certain directions, it pretty much just breaks until the download completes at which point everything goes back to normal.

Anyone seen it do this before?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Tarwedge posted:

I've been running 7 x64 for about 3 weeks now and it's suddenly developed a weird networking issue.

Basically if any application is downloading anything whatsoever (browser downloading a file, a newsreader downloading binaries, a torrent client downloading a torrent, something downloading an update) the entire system just shits itself and grinds to a halt (although the download chugs along at its usual speed, whatever that happens to be). Mouseclicks become unresponsive, the cursor turns jerky and flits around or refuses to move in certain directions, it pretty much just breaks until the download completes at which point everything goes back to normal.

Anyone seen it do this before?

Are you using a wireless mouse and wireless network card? I had similar issues on Vista with the frequencies of the mouse and wifi conflicting. It seemed especially worse when I had the afterburner option enabled on the NIC and router. Changing the wireless channel also helped.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you using a wireless mouse and wireless network card? I had similar issues on Vista with the frequencies of the mouse and wifi conflicting. It seemed especially worse when I had the afterburner option enabled on the NIC and router. Changing the wireless channel also helped.

Wireless mouse but wired network, so I don't think that's it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm having a weird issue on one computer with RC1. Whenever I put the computer to sleep or hibernate, it will automatically boot again 1-3 minutes later. When it does that, I get this event in the system log

ID = 1, source = Power-Troubleshooter

quote:

The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2009‎-‎05‎-‎21T23:13:57.817268800Z
Wake Time: ‎2009‎-‎05‎-‎21T23:14:41.280001300Z

Wake Source: Unknown

which isn't very helpful at all. Unplugging the ethernet cable does nothing, the computer still automatically starts up. Only switching the PC off completely keeps it quiet.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

RonaldMcDonald posted:

I'm having a weird issue on one computer with RC1. Whenever I put the computer to sleep or hibernate, it will automatically boot again 1-3 minutes later. When it does that, I get this event in the system log

ID = 1, source = Power-Troubleshooter

which isn't very helpful at all. Unplugging the ethernet cable does nothing, the computer still automatically starts up. Only switching the PC off completely keeps it quiet.

Suspend issues suck to diagnose. I have seen them from a flaky USB hub that would wake the system, NICs being set to wake on directed packet instead of magic packet, fat guys walking by and shaking the floor enough that the mouse wakes the computer, and driver issues. Since it isn't giving you a hardware ID for the wake event, odds are it is a drive issue. If you are using and Intel chipset (especially running in AHCI mode), look for updated drivers. It is call the Intel Storage Matrix or Manager or something that makes no sense. Also go through the device manager and disable peripherals from being able to wake the system that you do not want to be able to do so. Unplug unneeded devices from the computer before it goes into sleep mode to see if that makes a difference.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WillieWestwood posted:

My brother can't use 1680x1050 when the refresh rate inevitably resets it's back to 59Hz on his LCD.

Altoid
May 14, 2002
This is probably a dumb question but I don't know much about dual boots. Basically I want to do the easiest of dual boots and keep my install of XP on my old drive and install windows 7 on a new hard that I have.

Can I just remove the old hard drive install windows 7, then plug in the old one and set windows 7 as my primary hard drive in bios and read my XP drive as D drive?

Then what if I want to use XP boot? Would I then just set that as primary and will I be able to view the windows 7 as D in there?

To me it sounds like this should work but I’m not sure.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Odd one for me too.

Just installed the x64 Ultimate RC (Yay MSDN account) and my SoundMAX onboard sound only outputs through the front panel jack. This is the same after installing the Vista x64 driver from ASUS.

I've googled aroud a bit, but all I can find is some sketchy password protected RARs, and I don't know about them.

The board is an M2N-SLI Deluxe.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

WillieWestwood posted:

LCDs run at 60Hz regardless of settings (unless it's one of those newfangled 120Hz ones), so setting the refresh rate wrong in Windows can result in duplicate/dropped frames.

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Repeat after me: I am not a pleasure unit.

Baggins posted:

Odd one for me too.

Just installed the x64 Ultimate RC (Yay MSDN account) and my SoundMAX onboard sound only outputs through the front panel jack. This is the same after installing the Vista x64 driver from ASUS.

I've googled aroud a bit, but all I can find is some sketchy password protected RARs, and I don't know about them.

The board is an M2N-SLI Deluxe.
I have a similar board the M2N-E and the default windows 7 drivers work perfectly, I installed the Asus SoundMax drivers and it disabled my S/PDIF output, so
I went back to the default windows ones. If you want to try some different drivers have a look here: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/

There are several different versions of the drivers there, and some not listed on the ASUS site.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Casual Racist posted:

I have a similar board the M2N-E and the default windows 7 drivers work perfectly (...)

That's the funny thing. I tried with the default Win7 drivers and they seem to be working fine, but it won't detect I plug anything in either at the back or front. S/PDIF is chosen as default and I can't even select any of the others.

I'll try with another driver to see.

EDIT: No dice. I've tried a few other drivers from that FTP site and still the same. At least with those drivers I get sound through the front jack. The Microsoft drivers aren't giving me anything.

Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 22, 2009

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Baggins posted:

That's the funny thing. I tried with the default Win7 drivers and they seem to be working fine, but it won't detect I plug anything in either at the back or front. S/PDIF is chosen as default and I can't even select any of the others.

I'll try with another driver to see.

EDIT: No dice. I've tried a few other drivers from that FTP site and still the same. At least with those drivers I get sound through the front jack. The Microsoft drivers aren't giving me anything.

Humm, this is what my sound properties look like

If I want to use my headphones that are connected to my analog out, I have to select the "Speakers" and set them as default to get sound out of them. I don't think it has ever notified me when I plugged anything into the onboard sound, that only seemed to happen when I used the SoundMax drivers.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Casual Racist posted:

Humm, this is what my sound properties look like

If I want to use my headphones that are connected to my analog out, I have to select the "Speakers" and set them as default to get sound out of them. I don't think it has ever notified me when I plugged anything into the onboard sound, that only seemed to happen when I used the SoundMax drivers.

Yeah, but when they're showing up as "Not Plugged In" you can't even set it as default. With that setup, try it with your HDMI output now without plugging it in.

EDIT: I changed the sound card setting in the BIOS from AC97 to HD Audio with no change.
Another funny thing is that the front mic jack now passes sound directly to the speakers without the OS picking it up, but if I plug it in at the back it works perfectly.

I honestly have no idea any more.

Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 23, 2009

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Baggins posted:

Yeah, but when they're showing up as "Not Plugged In" you can't even set it as default. With that setup, try it with your HDMI output now without plugging it in.

I see what you are saying, I unplugged my headphones from the back analog port and it showed up with the red arrow saying not plugged in, but it seems like it detected it fine when I plugged it back in. I'm not sure what your problem could be... maybe some leftover drivers from SoundMax?

Here are the drivers windows seems to be using for my audio:

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Looks exactly the same.

I'm gonna try flashing the BIOS to see if there's a fix for it, as some googling leads me to believe it might help. If not, it's not the end of the world. I get sound, just not where I'd normally get it from, so no real biggie.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I installed Windows 7 (build 7100) without AHCI enabled; if I enable it, obviously Windows won't boot since the driver isn't enabled. How simple is it to manually enable the driver for this to work? I found a post which explains how to do this, but if I enable the driver and Windows 7 won't boot for some reason, should Windows start without any issues if I disable AHCI in the BIOS again?

Yes I'm willing to go to this much annoyance to get a slight boost in performance.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

WillieWestwood posted:

My FPS in games is capped at 59 instead of 60! (due to vsync)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

queztal posted:

I installed Windows 7 (build 7100) without AHCI enabled; if I enable it, obviously Windows won't boot since the driver isn't enabled. How simple is it to manually enable the driver for this to work? I found a post which explains how to do this, but if I enable the driver and Windows 7 won't boot for some reason, should Windows start without any issues if I disable AHCI in the BIOS again?

Yes I'm willing to go to this much annoyance to get a slight boost in performance.

That method worked for me to enable AHCI.