Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

PirateBob posted:

Maybe I should be googling for this but I want a straight goonswer.
What is the best light weight picture viewer? The default one in Win 7 doesn't even play gifs. :mad:

IrfanView

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PirateBob posted:

Maybe I should be googling for this but I want a straight goonswer.
What is the best light weight picture viewer? The default one in Win 7 doesn't even play gifs. :mad:

I like the one that comes with Google Picasa. To be clear, while I really like Picasa, what I'm talking about is the lightweight viewer it comes with to replace the Windows built-in one.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

sedative posted:

IrfanView

Heartily seconding this.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

sedative posted:

IrfanView

Seconding this. Irfanview is great.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

sedative posted:

IrfanView

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Death of Rats posted:

Is there no longer a seperate RTM for Europe? I just tried to find a copy and they don't seem to exist anymore. I read somewhere that it would be obsolete, but that doesn't help if I have to reinstall the Euro version when it arrives anyway.

Even if they still had a separate Europe version with no IE, the key would be valid for a rest-of-the-world version of thew same level (i.e. both Home PRemium, or Ultimate or whatever).

Rinnehinbultsje
Aug 23, 2005
I'm having a bit of a strange problem, and I'm aware that the fault may not be found with Win7 64-bit RTM. However, when playing audio via either WMP or Winamp, browsing in Winamp becomes a rather choppy experience.

When doing stuff (browsing up/down, opening a new tab, entering something in the address bar, clicking links or even typing this), firefox just freezes for 1 or 2 seconds a few times a minute. Sometimes it shows the 'not responding' message in the title bar as well, but not all the time.

When I close either media player, firefox runs smooth as silk. Winamp's thread priority is set to its lowest setting, priority class is set to idle. I've set the priority of Winamp at the lowest possible setting in task manager, and assigned both applications to different cores, but this made no difference.

I have the following system, as far as I'm aware with the most recent drivers: http://nl.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-A300-1SR/1062456/toshibaShop/false/ Link is in Dutch, because apparently this thing is not sold in other countries or something.

Anyone else who's experiencing something similar? Any pointers to where this problem may be coming from are greatly appreciated.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

toxick posted:

Seconding this. Irfanview is great.

For some reason, Irfanview has always annoyed me. I used Acdsee but I got bored with that too. I'm using XnView now, and it's ok so far.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Best picture viewer is FastStone MaxView (not free, liked it enough to buy it)

http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDetail.htm

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

c0burn posted:

Best picture viewer is FastStone MaxView (not free, liked it enough to buy it)

http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDetail.htm

Looks kind of like Irfanview, except it costs $20 and hasn't been updated for 9 months...?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I like the fullscreen interface a lot. I dunno if IrfanView can do that.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Is there a way to use 2 different drivers for one device in 2 different USB slots? For example, I plug it in the first slot, driver A is used, I plug it into the second, driver B is used. I seem to recall being able to do just that in XP, but 7 just uses the already installed driver.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

giZm posted:

Is there a way to use 2 different drivers for one device in 2 different USB slots? For example, I plug it in the first slot, driver A is used, I plug it into the second, driver B is used. I seem to recall being able to do just that in XP, but 7 just uses the already installed driver.

I wasn't aware you could do that in XP, I'm curious what kind of voodoo poo poo you're doing that requires this.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

I wasn't aware you could do that in XP, I'm curious what kind of voodoo poo poo you're doing that requires this.
What I remember is having to install the driver for a device every time I plugged it into a different USB port, and I'm not the only one to remember it that way.

The voodoo poo poo I'm trying to do is using a 360 gamepad with 2 different drivers. One slot the original MS driver, the other slot the custom XBCD drivers.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

giZm posted:

What I remember is having to install the driver for a device every time I plugged it into a different USB port, and I'm not the only one to remember it that way.

The voodoo poo poo I'm trying to do is using a 360 gamepad with 2 different drivers. One slot the original MS driver, the other slot the custom XBCD drivers.

Ahh, yes, that was a result of Windows XP not finding the existing installed driver for the device with the same id on a different port. I guess Windows 7 is smarter about that.

I messed with XBCD, but never got it to work with my wireless 360 gamepad. I just use the native driver and xpadder (http://www.xpadder.com/).

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Found my first majorly annoying bug with win7(64), seems that the current gen of intellipoint drivers cause the mousewheel to scroll up at a billion miles an hour, but down requires some herculean effort in some applications (so far I've noticed it in winamp, tweetdeck, steam)

Googled about to make sure this isn't just me, seeing quite a few references to it but no fix as of yet, feel free to point one out to me if you notice it.

Most annoying thing about it is that it's affecting the scrollwheel on my wacom mouse as well after installing it. Motherfuckers.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

I just use the native driver and xpadder (http://www.xpadder.com/).
Is it possible to have Xpadder automatically load profiles depending which game you start? Because I only really need the XBCD drivers for one game, the others are fine with the original MS ones.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

fishmech posted:

Even if they still had a separate Europe version with no IE, the key would be valid for a rest-of-the-world version of thew same level (i.e. both Home PRemium, or Ultimate or whatever).

Thanks fishmech. Maybe the OP should be updated with this information; as there are still hashes for the E edition on there, which isn't available anywhere I can find.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

giZm posted:

Is it possible to have Xpadder automatically load profiles depending which game you start? Because I only really need the XBCD drivers for one game, the others are fine with the original MS ones.

Where do you get the XBCD drivers, and how do you install them in Windows 7?

I need them for Trackmania, because I want to steer with the triggers. With the MS drivers, the steering is backwards: the left trigger makes you turn right, the right trigger makes you turn left. I haven't found any other solution for that than using the XBCD drivers.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

uXs posted:

Where do you get the XBCD drivers, and how do you install them in Windows 7?
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9118-xbcd-drivers-xbox-360-gamepad.html#post166744

quote:

I need them for Trackmania, because I want to steer with the triggers. With the MS drivers, the steering is backwards: the left trigger makes you turn right, the right trigger makes you turn left. I haven't found any other solution for that than using the XBCD drivers.
What the gently caress, steering with the triggers?! I can understand putting digital accel/brake on them, because that's what I do, but steering?!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm having really wierd issue with Windows 7 RTM. I'm using it as a HTPC.

I have an Ubunutu file server with an SMB share full of my music, I just spent a couple days with Picard getting it all properly tagged, and moved from my old HTPC (XP box) to my new server. I point my Music library to the network share, and 75% of my music comes up correctly in WMC, but for some reason about a thousand songs come up tagless.

Every other PC I map the share on see the tags, just the Win7 box refuses to see them. They're all folder organized, so I can go through and use the WMP "get file info" tool to tag it all, but I already spent hours fixing it all. Is there a bug with Win7 and tagging? Maybe I need a different tagging format of the Ubunutu share is doing something odd.

Even if I use Tag and Rename to fix them, they still don't show up properly until I actually use WMP's tagging function.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

giZm posted:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9118-xbcd-drivers-xbox-360-gamepad.html#post166744

What the gently caress, steering with the triggers?! I can understand putting digital accel/brake on them, because that's what I do, but steering?!

Maybe he's more used to toboggans than cars?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lum posted:

Maybe he's more used to toboggans than cars?

That's actually not a bad idea. I'm terrible with thumb sticks, and would like to give that a try.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know how to disable driver signing? I want to run Ati tray tools.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

Anyone know how to disable driver signing? I want to run Ati tray tools.

I don't think there is a way, short of manually doing it on every boot on 64bit.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

This does it automatically

quote:

Windows 7 RC1 installs a hidden 200mb partition purely for booting the OS. ReadyDriverPlus needs to be installed there. This is tricky and I'll add screenshots later, but here is how you do it:
Start Menu -> Right click Computer (or My Computer) and select Manage. You'll now be at Computer Management screen
Click Disk Management
There will be a blank 200mb drive (partition) without a letter attached (or maybe it does have a letter, i think i removed it so it didnt show in windows). This is where ReadyDriverPlus needs be be installed.
Because it doesnt have a drive letter, we need to assign it one, this is easy.
Right click the blank drive. Click "Change Drive Letters and Paths..."
Click "Add"
THen choose a letter beside Assign a new drive letter or path for 200Mb NTFS Simple Volume..... Click OK
Now install ReadyDriverPlus to this partition and you'll be good to go.
You can remove drive letter but to uninstall ReadyDriverPlus, you'll need to assign the partition the letter again.
You can find the letter in your registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ReadyDriver Plus_is1\InstallLocation

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Honey Im Homme posted:

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

This does it automatically

Hm. For some reason, I don't have that extra partition. I originally installed 7050 (or thereabouts) and I upgraded to 7068 then again to the RC. I suppose it was newly added in the RC? It evidently isn't an absolute requirement.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Reading that, it seems you need to disable UAC. Do you have to leave it disabled, or only during setup/installation?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's actually not a bad idea. I'm terrible with thumb sticks, and would like to give that a try.

Yeah, I couldn't be precise enough with the thumb sticks. I'm not a fan of using any kind of joystick for driving games in general, steering and throttle/break should be on separate devices.

For Trackmania, the steering can be done with analog inputs, but throttle/break is always on or off with nothing in between. Putting steering on the triggers and throttle/break on some easily accessible buttons seemed like a good idea, and it turned out it was. It took some getting used to, but not that much, and I like it much better than using the thumb sticks.

uXs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 16, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

m2pt5 posted:

Hm. For some reason, I don't have that extra partition. I originally installed 7050 (or thereabouts) and I upgraded to 7068 then again to the RC. I suppose it was newly added in the RC? It evidently isn't an absolute requirement.

It's been since 7000, it's installed if you just select the drive, if you manually create partitions it's not installed. It's a 200 meg partition that's there so you can BitLock your boot drive without having to gently caress with partitions, but I guess it works for that. Not required.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So my system is currently dual booting on the RC to Win 7 but has WinXP on a different drive.

I purchased the Win 7 Home Premium upgrade and it looks like everything will be valid. I just want to setup with a minimum of fuss and preserve that for future installs.

Ive never messed with ghosting/cloning. What would be the best way to do this? I want to wipe my drive install XP and then store an image that can easily be restored to a blank drive should I need to start the install process again.

After XP 32 is installed, Ill run the clean install option of Win 7 64 bit and then be good to go.

I wish MS still allowed the disc media checks for upgrades like their older stuff did. I will never go back to WinXP as I like Win7 so much, its just gonna be a pain to install XP first, just to turn around and then slap Win 7 in.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I was thinking of upgrading my work desktop with Windows 7 RTM using one of my Technet Keys however once 7 comes out I'll want to switch it to a purchased key, is there an easy way to change product keys post install? Is this a legit use of a Technet Key? I don't want to use a RC install/key because as far as I know that will require a reinstall.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
^^
Edit: In System Properties (right-click My Computer, Properties) there is a link to "Change Product Key".

Casao posted:

It's been since 7000, it's installed if you just select the drive, if you manually create partitions it's not installed.

Ah. I habitually create the partitions manually, I suppose it would be a good idea to back up everything and do a clean install (letting Windows do the partitions automatically) when I get the RTM, then.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

bob arctor posted:

I was thinking of upgrading my work desktop with Windows 7 RTM using one of my Technet Keys however once 7 comes out I'll want to switch it to a purchased key, is there an easy way to change product keys post install? Is this a legit use of a Technet Key? I don't want to use a RC install/key because as far as I know that will require a reinstall.

Just install the RTM and don't use any key at all until you buy the retail copy. You can go 120 days without a valid product key.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

uXs posted:

Reading that, it seems you need to disable UAC. Do you have to leave it disabled, or only during setup/installation?
I'm one of those horrible people who turn off UAC, so no idea.

uXs posted:

Trackmania
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3188442 :eng101:

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.
I realize how :spergin: this is, but it's annoying and as far as I can tell, there's no (googlable) registry hack for this.

I'd much rather have the old style context menu be the default action for right click, and the new much less useful one be the shift-right click. If anyone has any ideas, or even a starting point in the registry that I can mess around with in a VM, that would be awesome.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

So my system is currently dual booting on the RC to Win 7 but has WinXP on a different drive.

I purchased the Win 7 Home Premium upgrade and it looks like everything will be valid. I just want to setup with a minimum of fuss and preserve that for future installs.

:eng101:

The upgrade edition doesn't give you rights to keep using your XP install, and it will want you to install on top of a working and activated XP install.

Unless you have a second XP licence kicking about somewhere you won't be (legally) dual booting Win 7 and XP.

Probably should've got Win 7 Pro, XP mode in that works really well, much more convinient than dual booting.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Im dual booting now is what I mean, I wont give a poo poo about XP after Win7 comes out.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Loztblaz posted:

I realize how :spergin: this is, but it's annoying and as far as I can tell, there's no (googlable) registry hack for this.

I'd much rather have the old style context menu be the default action for right click, and the new much less useful one be the shift-right click. If anyone has any ideas, or even a starting point in the registry that I can mess around with in a VM, that would be awesome.
FWIW, if you right click the icon, and THEN right click the 'Mozilla Firefox' icon, you get the old context menu. Looks like your choices are either 2 clicks or button+click.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Im dual booting now is what I mean, I wont give a poo poo about XP after Win7 comes out.

Until you want to run some old app that is incompatable :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Casao posted:

It's been since 7000, it's installed if you just select the drive, if you manually create partitions it's not installed. It's a 200 meg partition that's there so you can BitLock your boot drive without having to gently caress with partitions, but I guess it works for that. Not required.

I have 7 on a partitioned drive, and it did still create that small partition when I installed. I don't remember how I did it though.