Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

illicitporpoises posted:

If you're waiting for some kind of baked in, official solution, don't hold your breath. 3 years in, and the best Mozilla has is mock ups of Firefox with Aero support.

Glasser
Glasser doesn't even work anymore, but GlasserPojo does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Forgive me for asking something that's probably been asked in the past 100+ pages, but I didn't see it in the OP:

If for whatever reason you're nervous about killing your 32-bit Vista install and you would like to dual-boot with a CLEAN 64-bit Win7 install on a totally different drive/partition, is that possible? I know you can't upgrade from 32 to 64, but I didn't see anything about dual-booting full installs.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sir Lemming posted:

Forgive me for asking something that's probably been asked in the past 100+ pages, but I didn't see it in the OP:

If for whatever reason you're nervous about killing your 32-bit Vista install and you would like to dual-boot with a CLEAN 64-bit Win7 install on a totally different drive/partition, is that possible? I know you can't upgrade from 32 to 64, but I didn't see anything about dual-booting full installs.

Dual boot whatever you want, but an upgrade install would technically invalidate the Vista license, if you were thinking about using that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

brc64 posted:

Glasser doesn't even work anymore, but GlasserPojo does.

Glasser never stopped working, disable version checking, it never really helped anyone.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard about the 7Zip integration.. but only "of" it, what does it do? Does it integrate like how windows explorer does? I've got it installed and done the "start as admin" thing, but I don't see anything happening..

What should it be doing?

(I know this is a poo poo question, but it seems that with windows 7 we're finally starting to see decent integration happening across the board and I wanted to know more)

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Yaos posted:

For the OEM version you can buy yourself will they be using Activation to see if you've installed it on a different computer, or will just not care and ask nicely not to do it?

all versions have product activation. And OEM software is not transferable, even if the old machine is destroyed.

Skillo
Aug 3, 2003
Jesus is coming! Quick, everyone look busy!
Oh god, any ideas on when will Realtek sort its poo poo out with Windows 7 drivers?

I installed it on my notebook and it has a "realtek HD audio" chip or whatever, and every single sound brings horrible crackling and popping with it.

Installed the lastest drivers (released a few days ago) and no luck. Messed around with settings and everything, only managed to barely reduce it to tolerable levels.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

Glasser never stopped working, disable version checking, it never really helped anyone.
I tried that and started getting a shitload of errors until I re-disabled the extension.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Is anyone having any issues with IDE devices used via JMicron PCI in Windows 7? Currently my DVD drive works but device manager lists the JMicron onboard PCI device as unknown, which is annoying. If I install the latest version of JRaid my DVD drive doesn't work at all and the unknown device is still there. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this (aside from getting an SATA drive)?

Other than that everything is working pretty well. It's really an annoyance more than anything.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 2, 2009

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is anyone having any issues with IDE devices used via JMicron PCI in Windows 7? Currently my DVD drive works but device manager lists the JMicron onboard PCI device as unknown, which is annoying. If I install the latest version of JRaid my DVD drive doesn't work at all and the unknown device is still there. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this (aside from getting an SATA drive)?

Other than that everything is working pretty well. It's really an annoyance more than anything.

Is this an actual PCI (not PCI-E or PCI-X) IDE expansion card, or some device onboard? Are you using 32bit or 64bit Windows 7? Did you run Vista on this machine before? Windows 7 has pretty much the same driver model as Vista, so almost all drivers that worked in Vista should work in 7.

Usually RAID controllers have a RAID and non-RAID driver, you'd want the non-RAID one loaded for optical (DVD) drive support.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just figured it out. The device in question is Abit's Uguru utility. Installing the software for it fixed the problem. Everything is running smoothly now.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Howdy ya'll, I'm brand spankin' new to this here Windows 7 and so far I'm having a ball.

But here's the thing: back when I had XP, I actually, like a moron, went and bought Nero MediaHome 4 for my media server junk. I actually like the software, surprise surprise, and it hasn't turned out so great on Win7.

Since I'm stubborn and when I buy a license I have to be using it or I feel like I'm wasting my money, can someone tell me if there is something I missed? Or if this software is even supported for 7 yet? Like, for the displayed devices it's showing Nero as 127.0.0.1 as a device on the network but it never did that in XP.

I'm just wondering if anyone had a heads up on this or if I have to, sadly, retire MediaHome for TVersity (even though some of you would prefer that :| )

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

Kind of along those same lines, does anybody have aero peek working with tabs in Firefox yet?
Is Safari still the only browser that does this properly? If so that's sort of funny.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
IE does it just fine, unless you meant strictly third party products. I'd expect Firefox to get it before the official launch date, maybe a little after, but you know it has to be coming.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
edit: Wait, peek doesn't work with Chrome tabs.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 2, 2009

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Cisco is phasing out the IPSEC client. Their solution is the AnyConnect client which is SSL only. They now require you to purchase SSL cals for their PIX to use VPN, where as before IPSEC was "free".
Do you have an official source that confirms this? (I want to show this to my boss)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

kyuss posted:

Do you have an official source that confirms this? (I want to show this to my boss)

cisco posted:

Q. Does Cisco provide a VPN Client for Windows Vista?

A. Cisco VPN Client Version 5 is available for 32-bit Windows Vista. There are no current plans to provide 64-bit support for the Cisco VPN Client but 64-bit support is available for the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. This client and release notes can be obtained from the Software Center (registered customers only) .

Note: Cisco VPN Client is only supported on Windows Vista clean install. It means that an upgrade of Windows of any OS to Windows Vista is not supported with the VPN Client Software of this Vista. You must freshly install the Windows Vista and try to install the Vista VPN Client software.

Note: If you do not have a valid service contract associated with your Cisco.com profile you cannot log in and download the VPN Client software. See Download VPN Client Software for more information.

Tip: The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client is now available for the Windows Operating Systems, which includes Vista 32 and 64-bit. The AnyConnect client supports SSL and DTLS. It does not support IPSec at this time. Additionally, AnyConnect is available only for use with a Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance that runs version 8.0(2) or later. The client can also be used in weblaunch mode with IOS appliances running version 12.4(15)T. VPN 3000 is not supported.

The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client and ASA 8.0 can be obtained from the Software Center (registered customers only) . Refer to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Release Notes for more information on the AnyConnect Client. Refer to the Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances Release Notes for more information on ASA 8.0.

Note: If you do not have a valid service contract associated with your Cisco.com profile you cannot log in and download the AnyConnect VPN Client or ASA software. See Download VPN Client Software for more information.
You MIGHT get away with XP mode or continuing to use 32bit win7 which is fine for 90% of most end user business applications.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

incoherent posted:

cisco posted:

Note: Cisco VPN Client is only supported on Windows Vista clean install.

I'd really like to know the reason for this. :psyduck:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

strwrsxprt posted:

Is Safari still the only browser that does this properly? If so that's sort of funny.

If Firefox ever does that poo poo, I hope it's optional. I do not want 15 preview windows opening every time I hover over the icon in the taskbar.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LooseChanj posted:

I'd really like to know the reason for this. :psyduck:

CYA and laziness. They don't want to deal with the possibility of conflicts, however rarely they occur, so they simply exclude it from support. Gives them an easy out from a support call.

There's items like this all over software licenses, it's really quite ridiculous.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Black Tracky Dacks posted:

Yeah yeah. I'm just bitter about the absolutely awesome Home Premium price in Australia.

As of current conversion rates, Home Premium Full Retail will be sold here for $265 USD.

Upgrade is $176 USD.

Edit: For any other Australian goons:

Home Premium Upgrade: $199 AUD
Home Premium Full Retail: $299 AUD

Professional Upgrade: $399 AUD
Professional Full Retail: $449 AUD

Ouch. I'm so glad I'm getting a copy of the signature edition, because at that price I sure as hell can't justify buying it on its own.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kode54 posted:

If Firefox ever does that poo poo, I hope it's optional. I do not want 15 preview windows opening every time I hover over the icon in the taskbar.
totally agree. I use tabs because each is a separate subject, news, forums, misc browsing, whatever. I don't want my 30+ tabs [not] previewing when I try to switch between windows.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Now that I have everything set up, can anyone recommend some swank new features I should be using but probably don't know about?

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005

quote:

Sent To: XXX XXXXX
XX XXXXXX RD
XXX XXXX,
XXXX
Australia

Shipping
1918 INNERBELT BUSINESS CENTER
ST LOUIS, MO
United States Of America

Shipment Date: October 02, 2009
Weight: 4.0 LBS
Pieces: 1
Service: EXPRESS WORLDWIDE (non doc)
Note: Delivery times may vary, please visit https://www.dhl-usa.com for details.
Reference: XXXXXX
Contents: PROMOTIONAL ITEMS - NOT FOR SALE

Party pack from Microsoft is on its way! Woot free copy of windows :D

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

Party pack from Microsoft is on its way! Woot free copy of windows :D
I haven't kept up too closely with this thread, but how are people getting involved with this whole party thing? I think it'd be fun (and the free copy is a nice bonus), but I don't know who is eligible.

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005

brc64 posted:

I haven't kept up too closely with this thread, but how are people getting involved with this whole party thing? I think it'd be fun (and the free copy is a nice bonus), but I don't know who is eligible.

http://www.houseparty.com/windows7

I think it may be too late :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

http://www.houseparty.com/windows7

I think it may be too late :(
I guess I should have paid more attention. No biggie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there anything special about the signature edition?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Is there anything special about the signature edition?

The box is shiny. (It's Ultimate)

stickyboot
Jan 27, 2006

i hate bottles
Sometimes waking from sleep (about half the time), the fan on my Nvidia 260 spins up to 100% and stops reporting temperatures and fan speeds to any hardware monitoring apps (any instances just disappear). I can hear the fan going full blast which is why I am clued in on this issue. Everything works fine other than that (3D graphics are still running smooth).

I am running the latest video drivers (190.62) and the newest BIOS (F11) for my mobo (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard). I installed the RTM version of Windows 7 ultimate.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Is it a bug? Incapable hardware? I am hoping it is just a driver bug that will get ironed out eventually but if anyone knows any fixes that would help I would love to hear.

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005
Does anyone know if microsoft will go ape poo poo if i DONT throw a party?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Hell, I think it'd be fun to throw a party. Why not?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

They will self-destruct your PC if you don't.

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005

brc64 posted:

Hell, I think it'd be fun to throw a party. Why not?

Friends :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

You should ask the brownshirts that show up at your house.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Steve Balmer is contractually obligated to come to your house raging drunk, have his way with your women, and smash your poo poo up if you don't. Really the promotion is just a pretense to allow Balmer to do this legally.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Look they specifically say you can have the party at a bar or something...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm going to throw a party at work and shun all the mac fags. None of them would accept my invite. Douches. All the PC people did however.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I will never understand the OS bickery.

Is it like penis sizes? Everyone is insecure about it so they act like theirs are huge?

I had a macfag for a roommate freshman year. He went on and on about how Apple was overtaking Microsoft when Vista was released and "no one uses it because it has critical failures and they're rushing to patch it only it won't help their problems. OSX never has this problem" blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is the info for upgrade editions in the OP still current? I preordered an upgrade version. I have a Vista key from MSDN. Can I just do a clean install, or do I have to install it over my Vista install? If I install it over my Vista install, does it do it like a clean install, or does it try to incorporate my existing poo poo into a big loving mess?