Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Firefox with Aero? Pfft they need to move their asses on an x64 version that isn't a pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

GreenNight posted:

Firefox with Aero? Pfft they need to move their asses on an x64 version that isn't a pile of poo poo.

Wait they already have a x64 version?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dominoes posted:

Is the info for upgrade editions in the OP still current? I preordered an upgrade version. I have a Vista key from MSDN. Can I just do a clean install, or do I have to install it over my Vista install? If I install it over my Vista install, does it do it like a clean install, or does it try to incorporate my existing poo poo into a big loving mess?

You need to have an activated Windows install to upgrade from. They give you the choice on the CD/DVD to either do a clean install or do a regular upgrade install.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

LooseChanj posted:

Also, why would an updated video driver be marked as an important update?

I think the automatic install is fixable by unchecking the "give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" box. The NVIDIA drivers seem to be classed as recommended rather than important on my system.

As for the monitor, it sounds like you just need to hunt down or write a better inf.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Wait they already have a x64 version?

There's an open source one, but it's worthless because you can't run Flash in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

No. 9 posted:

There's an open source one, but it's worthless because you can't run Flash in it.

Adobe.com posted:

Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

Reason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following Flash Player 10.

Solution

To use Flash Player to view Flash content on a 64-bit operating system, youmust run a 32-bit browser.

How is this Mozilla's fault?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dominoes posted:

Can I just do a clean install, or do I have to install it over my Vista install? If I install it over my Vista install, does it do it like a clean install, or does it try to incorporate my existing poo poo into a big loving mess?

You just have to run the setup from an installed and activated version of Windows. You can upgrade Vista if you want, I did and haven't had any problems although it took ages.

Vista is the only version of windows you can upgrade from, which strikes me as odd considering the huge install base XP has. I can't wait to see those articles and sob stories about people who passed on Vista and bought 7 thinking they could upgrade.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cojawfee posted:

It isn't. It still makes 64 bit browsers worthless.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cojawfee posted:

I never said it was, and does it even matter?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Adobe needs to stop dragging rear end. I seriously hope they lose the fight to Silverlight someday because how long have we been waiting for a 64-bit version of Flash to come out?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone use Silverlight anymore besides Microsoft? When it first came out, there were a few sites that mentioned that I needed silverlight. But since then, I haven't seen any that mention it besides Microsoft.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone use Silverlight anymore besides Microsoft? When it first came out, there were a few sites that mentioned that I needed silverlight. But since then, I haven't seen any that mention it besides Microsoft.

ITV.com here in the uk used it for a while. I think it's back to flash though.

This owns :

http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Cojawfee posted:

Sunday Night Football Extra uses it. And the Olympics used it. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire NBC site used it instead of Flash.

Just for fun comparison, Silverlight is able to run HD video on a netbook, while Flash chugs to death on anything else. Silverlight is technically superior to flash.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Cojawfee posted:

Netflix also uses Silverlight.

I really like how Silverlight adjusts playback quality when your bandwidth fluctuates (unlike Flash, afaik), and it's pretty transparent unless you have a sudden dramatic drop in bandwidth, at which point it just tells you "Hey, your bandwidth started sucking. Let us adjust and catch up, and we'll be out of your way in a minute."

I prefer that to a site like, say, Hulu (which I assume uses Flash), where it just suddenly pauses with no real indication of whether it'll be back or not, unless you count the "Buffer ..ii||" indicator.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I'm going to throw a party at work and shun all the mac fags. None of them would accept my invite. Douches. All the PC people did however.

To be fair, I'm a Mac fag who's going to be buying W7 through 741, and I wouldn't go to any party celebrating any operating system, Mac or Windows. Because throwing a party to celebrate an OS is silly.

(Though if I had been more on the ball, I would have totally thrown a W7 party to get a free copy.)

Cojawfee posted:

Netflix uses Silverlight, and it's pretty great.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Manky posted:

Netflix uses Silverlight, and it's pretty great.

Silverlight is amazing in Netflix. Before, it used some lame Windows Media Player thing that required all sorts of setup to make sure it could actually play the videos, and it didn't support browsers other than IE

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I was having some problems with NFS:Shift crashing, so I decided to go looking for some advice. Google led me to the sevenforums.com forums, and hoooly poo poo. People are complaining about how [insert game company here] sucks for not fully supporting their game on 7, how any computer with AMD/ATI will automatically suck, and "Prototype has too many swaring, but after missions I get used to it". Oh, and I also learned XP 64-bit is "rapidly achieving cult status."

I'm not sure what I feel right now, but I'm happy I'm not posting there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The reason you don't notice Sivlerlight being used now is version 3 is much less intrusive than the earlier versions were, Cojawfee.

stickyboot
Jan 27, 2006

i hate bottles

The Gasmask posted:

Google led me to the sevenforums.com forums, and hoooly poo poo.

Is there a way to ban URLs from your google results? Sites like that are worthless and show up all the time in searches.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

The reason you don't notice Sivlerlight being used now is version 3 is much less intrusive than the earlier versions were, Cojawfee.

Unless it comes with Windows 7 now, I don't even have it installed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Manky posted:

To be fair, I'm a Mac fag who's going to be buying W7 through 741, and I wouldn't go to any party celebrating any operating system, Mac or Windows. Because throwing a party to celebrate an OS is silly.

Throwing a reealll party is silly, but I'm just going to use our beer:thirty friday hacky sack hour and jokingly adorn their workstations with Windows 7 stuff. I even said, in the email, that this wasn't some stupid OS party and we weren't actually doing anything stupid like that and they still wouldn't because it's a Windows product.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Good for looking for new hardware/software: not only can something not be Windows "Certified" without being 64-bit compatible, Microsoft has changed it so things can NOT be listed as even Windows 7 "Compatible" unless it works with 64-bit.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/352051/has-microsoft-learnt-its-lessons-with-windows-7-stickers

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I poked around my firewall settings and Nero was set to public and not private network settings. Oops! All is well now and Win7 kicks rear end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So is there any way to make punkbuster work on 7? I just bought CoD4 and have been busting rear end all night trying to get it to work. loving punkbuster.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I don't know about CoD4 specifically, but punkbuster's been fixed to work with Windows 7 for a while. Download pbsetup and use that to manually update your games punkbuster files.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

incoherent posted:

You MIGHT get away with XP mode or continuing to use 32bit win7 which is fine for 90% of most end user business applications.

Well we are trying to get rid of our old PIX for a couple of other reasons too. Not having to use that silly client anymore would be an additional motivation :)

Anyways, are there already experiences with using 64bit Windows7 in a corporate environment?
I'm pretty free in my decisions, so I'm wondering if I should play it safe with future installations (using 32bit) or take the leap.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

How do I add / pin my own custom shortcuts or .cmd/.bat files to the Start Menu? I can't believe it has to be so difficult.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god drat. Just installed Win7 RC on the family computer, and what do you know, the onboard audio (Realtek apparently) hates Win7. Trying to install its drivers from Windows Update just fails with an unknown error and various manual install/setup programs etc were no dice either.

Now I gotta come back down here next week to buy and install a sound card for them.

At least everything else is going beautifully and Win7 is funning fine, aside from no Aero letting it use Glass which is a bit of a shame.

Edit:

Pilsner posted:

How do I add / pin my own custom shortcuts or .cmd/.bat files to the Start Menu? I can't believe it has to be so difficult.

Can't right click on a .bat and Pin to Start Menu?

And what do you mean by custom shortcuts?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Black Tracky Dacks posted:

Can't right click on a .bat and Pin to Start Menu?

And what do you mean by custom shortcuts?

Like a shortcut to a .bat file for example.

There's no context menu to Pin to Start Menu for a bat or cmd file.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Oh god drat. Just installed Win7 RC on the family computer, and what do you know, the onboard audio (Realtek apparently) hates Win7. Trying to install its drivers from Windows Update just fails with an unknown error and various manual install/setup programs etc were no dice either.

Now I gotta come back down here next week to buy and install a sound card for them.

Get drivers from the motherboard manufacturer online. At first Windows Update screwed up my onboard Realtek sound, so I tracked down the Mobo drivers and it worked perfectly. Remember to uninstall the old ones first, so you're not making it more screwed up.

stickyboot posted:

Is there a way to ban URLs from your google results? Sites like that are worthless and show up all the time in searches.

I wish I knew. It would be nice to be able to block sites from search, but I'm not sure there's an easy way. As is, I'll spend 5 minutes just to get through the crap forum results like that.

As an aside, my macbook's "l" key doesn't work, so I have to copy/paste to use the loving letter :(

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 3, 2009

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.

Pilsner posted:

There's no context menu to Pin to Start Menu for a bat or cmd file.

Shift + right click

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

The Gasmask posted:

Get drivers from the motherboard manufacturer online. At first Windows Update screwed up my onboard Realtek sound, so I tracked down the Mobo drivers and it worked perfectly. Remember to uninstall the old ones first, so you're not making it more screwed up.

It seems this motherboard, ASUS K8V-MX isn't supported in Vista/7 at all, sooo that's not going to work unfortunately.

Also the audio drivers listed on the ASUS website are for SoundMax, despite that Windows Update was trying to download Realtek. So I've got no drat idea.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Lacc posted:

Shift + right click

That worked, although still no option to pin to the task bar either.

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

I'm an astronomer, and these are the stars! Can you see the stars?

Pilsner posted:

That worked, although still no option to pin to the task bar either.

In your BAT/CMD file, add the command "pause" so it sits there for a while (not needed if your script takes a while to run). On the task bar, you can right click on the icon it shows while running and choose pin.

edit: maybe not? Now it's just opening the cmd prompt for me.

edit2: I guess you could always create your own toolbar from a folder with just the bat, or a shortcut to the bat in it.

jokrswild fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 3, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just installed Win7 RC on the family computer
Why is anyone still installing the RC?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

strwrsxprt posted:

Why is anyone still installing the RC?

Because the only way to get it right now is Technet/MSDNAA? One's expensive the other not everyone will have.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can get an un-hosed-with copy of the RTM ISOs on torrents and check the hashes to confirm it's the legit Microsoft version. THen you can install that with no key and wait 19 days until you can buy the retail box and get a key from that.

I mean yeah it's slightly shady, but it's much less hassle than installing the RC NOW and then having to wipe it in under 3 weeks..

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Another quick question, I thought I turned off sleep mode but apparently there is a "hyper-sleep" mode that's new to me. I'm just wondering, for my laptop I want ALL modes of sleep off when plugged into the wall... Anyone wanna throw me a bone?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Green Puddin posted:

Another quick question, I thought I turned off sleep mode but apparently there is a "hyper-sleep" mode that's new to me. I'm just wondering, for my laptop I want ALL modes of sleep off when plugged into the wall... Anyone wanna throw me a bone?

Did you go to Power Settings > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings?

If not go to the sleep settings in there and turn off Sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernate for when it is plugged in. Other than that, it might be something with your laptop (or the plug) With the RTM of Pro on my laptop, it never goes to sleep while I'm plugged in.

Although I really enjoy hibernate now. It's a bit annoying that the screen just goes totally black and still takes a few seconds to turn off, but it boots back up really quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

fishmech posted:

I mean yeah it's slightly shady, but it's much less hassle than installing the RC NOW and then having to wipe it in under 3 weeks..

I set up the RC on a friends machine who isn't going to be able to buy a copy for a while, so I can understand why people are doing it. Yeah, you'll need to do a full reinstall, but you have until March to use it nonstop. That gives her enough time to use it and decide if she likes it.