Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dark warrior
Aug 4, 2007
im a sysadmin, i run linux on my workstation, they gave me a choice to exchange my laptop for a beefier desktop with windows 7, should I change? i administer strictly linux stuff but email and certain documents are pain in the rear end to handle in linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Dominoes posted:

I use my start menu in Vista to access all my programs. I use the Games menu to run games, the frequently-used programs list that takes up most of the start menu to access my common programs, and the pinned list above it for a few that aren't frequent use, but I like easy access to. (I never go into program files because it's a mess.) Does the dock replace this?

I found that the dock took the place of the quick launch bar and the common programs list in the start menu plus whatever other crap I always run. I kept using the games menu, though (but since most of my games are on steam I never really use it that much anyway)

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Stuff that has admin access problem should be run in XP compatibility mode for the most part. Turning off UAC will in fact make older applications have more problem rather than less! For example, with UAC on, writes to protected folders like Program Files get silently redirected to a virtualstore folder and everything works good. With UAC off, the writes are just impossible!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

People using the start menu:

Do yourself a favor and stop. Just press the Windows key, type a few letters of the program name, and press Enter. Approximately 1,249 times faster than browsing the start menu.

I literally haven't clicked the "All Programs" link in many months.

On another note, Walt Mossberg really likes Win7.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a friend that is a Mac guy, and is always touting how much better his new Mac is better than his old Dell laptop (running Windows 2000). I just setup a new HTPC and when he saw 7's Media Center me made the comment very snidely that it looks just Mac.

:ughh:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lord Commissar posted:

I just don't remember which specific programs had the problem. I think Steam had an issue at one point, but it may have been patched by now. The Gasmask had the same problem with Blackberry software.

It seems like an access problem, and 'Run as Administrator' doesn't fix it.

Oblivion will poo poo its pants if you try to run mods if the game is installed in program files and UAC is enabled, or at least it used to. Presumably Morrowind would poo poo even harder. Titan Quest seems to have some odd problems connecting to multiplayer servers if you don't right click and run as admin. Was it any of these?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

dark warrior posted:

im a sysadmin, i run linux on my workstation, they gave me a choice to exchange my laptop for a beefier desktop with windows 7, should I change? i administer strictly linux stuff but email and certain documents are pain in the rear end to handle in linux.

Why not I guess? Just putty into everything. No reason you can't install your flavour of linux on that windows 7 machine either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dark warrior posted:

Look at it like this, if you need to use linux you can download a free linux vm and run it in vmware player.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oblivion will poo poo its pants if you try to run mods if the game is installed in program files and UAC is enabled, or at least it used to. Presumably Morrowind would poo poo even harder. Titan Quest seems to have some odd problems connecting to multiplayer servers if you don't right click and run as admin. Was it any of these?

Wireshark does the same thing too. When I first went to Vista it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't trace anything with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah Virtual Machine is now free for everyone using Windows 7, so you can just install linux in a vm if you still need it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah Virtual Machine is now free for everyone using Windows 7, so you can just install linux in a vm if you still need it.

What

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I got myself 3x Windows 7 licenses (32-bit, 64-bit, and french 32-bit) from MSDNAA :). I'll update after the midterms, this is my only computer for now and it would be catastrophic if something went wrong during install.

GreenNight posted:

Look at it like this, if you need to use linux you can download a free linux vm and run it in vmware player.

Yeah but he's still trading a laptop for a desktop. I wouldn't do it. It's not like he can play games at work (or can he? What do sysadmins do at work when everything's fine?), so does he really need Windows 7?

Cojawfee posted:

Virtual PC was always free for any (Windows) OS. And even if it weren't, VMWare Player, VirtualBox, and whatever else are free.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 8, 2009

dark warrior
Aug 4, 2007
Im asking mainly just because everyone is talking about windows 7 like it's the poo poo. and no I wont be using to game but if it's a `better` working vista then that could be tempting. Basically what i use the most is office type stuff and im having a major headache trying to get email and office docs working.

Plus i generally like windows as a desktop OS, always have. But vista scarred me.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

dark warrior posted:

Im asking mainly just because everyone is talking about windows 7 like it's the poo poo. and no I wont be using to game but if it's a `better` working vista then that could be tempting. Basically what i use the most is office type stuff and im having a major headache trying to get email and office docs working.

Plus i generally like windows as a desktop OS, always have. But vista scarred me.

If you like Windows as a desktop OS and you have a computer newer than 2000 you have no reason to not use Windows 7.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

madprocess posted:

If you like Windows as a desktop OS and you have a computer newer than 2000 you have no reason to not use Windows 7.

Unless you have an nForce3 motherboard, which you cannot get Win7 drivers for.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ragzilla posted:

Unless you have an nForce3 motherboard, which you cannot get Win7 drivers for.

Yep, every PC built in the last 5+ years has worked great except for nForce2/3 boards. I read just today that nVidia was ending work on their nForce chipsets for good and breathed a sigh of relief. Good riddance.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dark warrior posted:

I'm curious to hear exactly why you couldn't get email and office docs working? Let me guess, you have a copy of office 97 you're trying to use?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crackbone posted:

I'm curious to hear exactly why you couldn't get email and office docs working? Let me guess, you have a copy of office 97 you're trying to use?

He said he was running linux.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xenomorph posted:

It's the Microsoft Dock. Just call it the Dock. It works like the Apple Dock.

Quick Launch is just buttons. Just shortcuts to a program.

"Pin to Taskbar" puts the program icon on the Dock. When running, the program "lives" in that Dock icon the same way it operates if it were in the Dock under Mac OS X. Complete with graphical indicators telling you which Dock icons are running.

If you right-click on an item in Quick Launch, you have file-operations for that LNK file. Delete it, rename it, etc. Just like a regular file.

If you right-click on an item Pinned to the Tray/Dock, you can control functions in that application (like right clicking a running program on the Task Bar). New Windows 7 features may be on the Dock icon, and you can get a live preview/Aero peek thing going on with the Dock icon.

You can't do any of that with just a "Quick Launch" icon.

loving iTunes has loving miniature play control keys that you can use in peek. That in and of itself is cool, but imagine what other things could be done with that.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Titan Quest seems to have some odd problems connecting to multiplayer servers if you don't right click and run as admin. Was it any of these?

The only problems I've run into with Titan Quest (which also existed in Vista) is that when you tell it to search for games, it'll spit out some weird Visual C++ Runtime error a few times. I haven't played in a while, so I forget exactly what it says, but just click OK until it goes away and then it works fine.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Dogen posted:

loving iTunes has loving miniature play control keys that you can use in peek. That in and of itself is cool, but imagine what other things could be done with that.

http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_w7shell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One thing that is really annoying me is that if I'm watching a video and the screen turns off, it takes about five seconds for it to come back. It would be cool if they had a period of a few seconds where it just turned the screen black like a screen saver so you could get it back, instead of just straight turning off.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Cojawfee posted:

One thing that is really annoying me is that if I'm watching a video and the screen turns off, it takes about five seconds for it to come back. It would be cool if they had a period of a few seconds where it just turned the screen black like a screen saver so you could get it back, instead of just straight turning off.

Isn't there a option in the media player to prevent this? I know MPC64 allows it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
That's up to your monitor manufacturer buddy

e: I mean Cojawfee. Windows can't make your monitor turn on faster.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dogen posted:

I happened to be syncing my phone when I read this. I just checked and it blew my mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

That's up to your monitor manufacturer buddy

e: I mean Cojawfee. Windows can't make your monitor turn on faster.

Yes, but if you read my post, you'll see that I said to have the screen just turn black for a few seconds so you can bring it back quickly before totally turning the video off.

Actually, I don't mind about that, how about just not doing that while in a full screen video. But I guess it is a problem with flash not doing full screen properly, because media player classic works just fine.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 9, 2009

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, but if you read my post, you'll see that I said to have the screen just turn black for a few seconds so you can bring it back quickly before totally turning the video off.

Actually, I don't mind about that, how about just not doing that while in a full screen video. But I guess it is a problem with flash not doing full screen properly, because media player classic works just fine.

So change the power settings. Just turn your monitor off manually if you're going somewhere for a while.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Set the Blank screen saver to happen 1 minute before powering off your monitor...

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you edit the minversion for the windows7 install disk so it will upgrade the RC, do you still have to the March 2010 limit?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EVIR Gibson posted:

If you edit the minversion for the windows7 install disk so it will upgrade the RC, do you still have to the March 2010 limit?

Yes, because nothing you can do will make the RC stay active past February 28th, 2010.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Swilo posted:

Set the Blank screen saver to happen 1 minute before powering off your monitor...
monitor_ES. When you want to walk away, hit win+l (lock) and walk away while the monitor goes to sleep. Never have to play with power settings again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sticky notes is the new "New Text Document.txt". Goodbye notepad.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

SpartanIV posted:

Someone take pictures of these tote bags, I want to see what they look like and maybe beg for one.

They're actually pretty nice looking (sorry for the lovely cameraphone pic, the colors are much nicer IRL):

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I may use them as grocery bags.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Kakesu posted:

They're actually pretty nice looking (sorry for the lovely cameraphone pic, the colors are much nicer IRL):

I may use them as grocery bags.

They'd look at home stuffed full of snacks and drinks. :D I've got mine sitting here at the moment.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

The easiest way to run games that are heavily moddable or have connection issues under UAC is to either install the game in a seperate folder on your C:\ drive or, my preferred method, to give yourself full localized access to the game's folder. For example, I set Program Files (x86)/Bethesda Softworks/ as fully accessible by my user account and you can do whatever you want while letting UAC do its thing with everything else.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I noticed that Windows 7 has the same poo poo as Vista where it searches for a new wireless connection every minute or so causing a big lag spike.

What are my options?

Does WLan Optimizer work for Windows 7? (even then it stopped working after a while for vista :()

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

I'm torn between posting this here or in ML, but can I get some help regarding midi keyboards/interfaces in 64bit?

The keyboards etc are detected fine when switched on, but they only show up as being a 'composite device', rather than actual midi ports. For example, my SL MK II is detected as a composite device with an additional 'SL MK II port 1 & 2' showing up, but both of those devices are unable to locate suitable drivers automatically. Neither of the companies whose hardware I use have 64bit specific drivers yet, so am I stuffed or am I doing something incredibly stupid.

Ambuletz
Sep 7, 2006
I love my brother very much.

This is really awesome, thank you.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ambuletz posted:

This is really awesome, thank you.
Seconded! I was just thinking the other day how useful it would be for me to be able to pause from the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

duckstab posted:

I'm torn between posting this here or in ML, but can I get some help regarding midi keyboards/interfaces in 64bit?

The keyboards etc are detected fine when switched on, but they only show up as being a 'composite device', rather than actual midi ports. For example, my SL MK II is detected as a composite device with an additional 'SL MK II port 1 & 2' showing up, but both of those devices are unable to locate suitable drivers automatically. Neither of the companies whose hardware I use have 64bit specific drivers yet, so am I stuffed or am I doing something incredibly stupid.

A USB composite device is kind of like having a device with a built in 2+ port hub that then provides 2 or more actual USB devices, in your case Midi port 1 and Midi port 2. When you installed it on XP it would show up briefly as a composite device and then the two midi port drivers would get installed, the actual composite device doesn't show up in device manager the same way a hub does.

Chances are when you installed it on XP you just didn't notice that stage as the drivers actually worked so you just plugged it in and two ports appeared.

You're not doing anything wrong, you're just stuffed because the drivers aren't available. You could try the 32bit Vista drivers if available, they might work if they are user mode and not kernel mode.