Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BeastOfExmoor posted:

9. Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese unicode(s) and settings are integrated, so one can run foreign apps or use foreign keyboards without changing languages & restarting.

This should have tipped you off that it was fake, since Windows 98 introduced changing keyboards/languagues without restarting, NT 4 introduced Unicode (there are no foreign "Unicodes"), and Windows XP combined the two for home users. I've never had a problem using a German or Japanese or whatever languague program in English Windows XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fishmech posted:

I've never had a problem using a German or Japanese or whatever languague program in English Windows XP.

There are some Japanese or otherwise East Asian programs that won't run properly with your system language set to English, but that's what Applocale is for.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

c0burn posted:

You have changed your taskbar settings from defaults. Set it to always combine, hide labels.
Ugh no the combining thing is awful. Thanks for the help I guess Ill just have to live with it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I've heard it said (don't remember where) that MS is trying really hard to move away from the venerable old taskbar setup, so they won't even allow you to configure the same old Win95 look that each of their OS' since has allowed.

You can disable grouping and turn on small icons, and it KINDA looks like what you're used to. I think that's the closest you'll get.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

Ugh no the combining thing is awful. Thanks for the help I guess Ill just have to live with it.

:psyduck: Aero Peek keeps everything so uncluttered and easy to deal with.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

big mean giraffe posted:

:psyduck: Aero Peek keeps everything so uncluttered and easy to deal with.
I turned that off. I just like a simple/basic looking windows.

syphon posted:

I've heard it said (don't remember where) that MS is trying really hard to move away from the venerable old taskbar setup, so they won't even allow you to configure the same old Win95 look that each of their OS' since has allowed.

You can disable grouping and turn on small icons, and it KINDA looks like what you're used to. I think that's the closest you'll get.
Yeah, i just found the "small icon" box. Thank god. A taskbar shouldnt be that big in 1920x1200 resolution.

Im pretty happy with it now I guess, I just miss my quick launch.

OH one more thing. Is there a way to have the taskbar icons near the clock show up like they do in past versions? The way it is now I have to click that dumb up arrow thing, and that shows the icon. Id like them just laid out next to the clock like theyve always been.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 30, 2009

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I don't think you have even tried it for more than 5 minutes before turning it off.

You can drag the system tray icons back next to the clock if you want.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Speaking as someone who always used the "classic" look for XP and resisted trying any new ways, I have completely converted to the new ways for Windows 7. It really is a lot easier to use and faster to get what I need after adapting.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

c0burn posted:

I don't think you have even tried it for more than 5 minutes before turning it off.

You can drag the system tray icons back next to the clock if you want.
I didnt try it at all. :smug:

edit: Ah yes, as simple as dragging. Thanks!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
So give it a go? We're not just sucking Microsofts dick.

threegallopingdogs
Dec 12, 2006
they don't sleep anymore on the beach
Volume Control now allows you to adjust separate volume levels for different applications, which is sort of nice if not a terrible useful feature. Except that it keeps resetting my volume levels for TF2 and L4D to 1% whenever I go to menus (ie during a level load screen). It's really annoying having to alt-tab to move the slider back after every level change, any ideas?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

threegallopingdogs posted:

Volume Control now allows you to adjust separate volume levels for different applications, which is sort of nice if not a terrible useful feature. Except that it keeps resetting my volume levels for TF2 and L4D to 1% whenever I go to menus (ie during a level load screen). It's really annoying having to alt-tab to move the slider back after every level change, any ideas?

I think the Steam VOIP stuff triggers the "telephone call" bit so turn this off. Fixed it for me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

threegallopingdogs posted:

Volume Control now allows you to adjust separate volume levels for different applications, which is sort of nice if not a terrible useful feature.

I take it you've never used Vista.

threegallopingdogs
Dec 12, 2006
they don't sleep anymore on the beach

fishmech posted:

I take it you've never used Vista.

Yep.

Cheers c0burn, I'll give that a shot!

Pianist
Jun 9, 2001
NOT A RAPIST.
Question regarding 32 bit vs. 64bit: If I'm running a laptop that supports 64-bit instructions but has a maximum RAM capacity of 2GB (which I have already), is there any reason to install the 64-bit version (I am currently running 32-bit vista)?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

beejay posted:

Speaking as someone who always used the "classic" look for XP and resisted trying any new ways, I have completely converted to the new ways for Windows 7. It really is a lot easier to use and faster to get what I need after adapting.

Same here. I also resisted XP for a long time, and skipped Vista altogether. I have a few gripes, but they're extremely minor.

1. I'd prefer if the system tray previews opened more quickly when you mouse-over an icon. Like, as close to instantly as possible. Is there a setting for that?
2. I like the idea of putting my taskbar on the left-side, but I don't like how the start menu opens on top of the taskbar. I want it to open to the right of it, so the two don't overlap. This is such a small matter I can't believe I'm even mentioning it, but somehow it bugs me enough that I've kept the taskbar on the bottom. I also wish I at least had the OPTION of putting the start button at the bottom. I don't know if I'd actually prefer it, but I want to TRY dammit!

Other than that, I'm actually really enjoying the OS.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
1) Do you mean taskbar previews? There's a registery setting for that. It's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Mouse/MouseHoverTime - default is 400ms, set it to whatever you want (I use 100ms).

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

supster posted:

1) Do you mean taskbar previews? There's a registery setting for that. It's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Mouse/MouseHoverTime - default is 400ms, set it to whatever you want (I use 100ms).

Sweeeeeet. Doing this when I get home. Thanks!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pianist posted:

Question regarding 32 bit vs. 64bit: If I'm running a laptop that supports 64-bit instructions but has a maximum RAM capacity of 2GB (which I have already), is there any reason to install the 64-bit version (I am currently running 32-bit vista)?

No reason NOT to install 64 bit if you can, it doesn't hurt. You can only benefit, 7 64bit and vista 64bit are fantastic at working with 32bit applications and such, unlike xp 64 bit which was a nightmare at times.

I'm personally having an awful time with Dscaler, I can only get it to work once per install, having to completely uninstall it, restart, reinstall it to get it to work again. I get an error relating to "unable to create memory file for ./bt848somethingorother.cpp". I've googled it extensively with many added terms to hopefully get better results, with nothing. Does anyone have experience with DScaler being a total oval office on 7?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Cage posted:

I didnt try it at all. :smug:

edit: Ah yes, as simple as dragging. Thanks!

If you really must have a quicklaunch bar, there are ways of enabling it, but it's a bit of work. I really do urge you to try to get a feel for icons expanding in their places - it makes so much more sense anyway.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
When you come across driver issues, like for motherboards, do you just get Vista drivers instead?

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

routenull0 posted:

When you come across driver issues, like for motherboards, do you just get Vista drivers instead?

That has worked for me for everything I need drivers for, most recently a Garmin GPS.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FW230J) which came with Vista 64, in one of the Sony utilities I could specify it to only charge to 50% and then stop to preserve battery life since I have it plugged in a majority of the time.

The setting continued into 7 64bit but I can find no way to adjust it. Installing the Sony utilites led to a battery error which told me to remove and replace the battery and I never did. I'm just wondering if there is a way built into Windows 7 where I can adjust this battery preservation setting without using the Sony utils?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Messadiah posted:

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FW230J) which came with Vista 64, in one of the Sony utilities I could specify it to only charge to 50% and then stop to preserve battery life since I have it plugged in a majority of the time.

The setting continued into 7 64bit but I can find no way to adjust it. Installing the Sony utilites led to a battery error which told me to remove and replace the battery and I never did. I'm just wondering if there is a way built into Windows 7 where I can adjust this battery preservation setting without using the Sony utils?

While I can't help you with your question, I'm wondering if that actually works?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Messadiah posted:

Only charging to 50% will only help if you're also chucking the battery in the freezer while its not in use. You'll get much better battery life out of just never letting it go under 5-10% charge.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008

Wheany posted:

Does the laptop have a touch pad? If it doesn't, you might be touching that with your palm and accidentally clicking somewhere else on the screen.

oh.
my.
god.
I am an idiot. Thanks for thinking simple and solving my woes.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

routenull0 posted:

I even used some XP64 drivers in a pinch a few nights ago.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Argila posted:

oh.
my.
god.
I am an idiot. Thanks for thinking simple and solving my woes.

Yeah well, this is pretty much the biggest reason I hate touchpads.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

Yeah well, this is pretty much the biggest reason I hate touchpads.
I'm bummed out that I have to install specific drivers from Dell to get the option to turn off the touch pad when I have a mouse attached to my laptop. You'd think by now that such an option would be integrated into Windows, but then again I'm not even sure such functionality is a part of the default mouse driver "model" (for lack of a better word).

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Mido posted:

No reason NOT to install 64 bit if you can, it doesn't hurt. You can only benefit, 7 64bit and vista 64bit are fantastic at working with 32bit applications and such, unlike xp 64 bit which was a nightmare at times.
This isn't technically true. I waffled between the two, and decided to go with 64bit. It works nearly perfectly.

The problem is, right now I'd say it's only about 90% (or 95%) compatible. Every once in while I run into a program or driver that won't work on a 64 bit system (gently caress you Cisco!). I don't think the opposite is really true yet, although I imagine it will be in the future.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

Messadiah posted:

That's not going to significantly extend the life of your battery. What will, however, is setting it to charge until 100%, but not to start charging until it's at 90%. That way, little drains like being moved in sleep mode ore taking it off the main for five minutes to drag it into another room won't require a recharge. That takes cycles off of the battery and will extend its life.

I also have to ask why you're so concerned about keeping your battery so immaculate if you never use it. Keeping the thing always charged at 50% is like having a half dead battery anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ElProducto posted:

That's not going to significantly extend the life of your battery. What will, however, is setting it to charge until 100%, but not to start charging until it's at 90%. That way, little drains like being moved in sleep mode ore taking it off the main for five minutes to drag it into another room won't require a recharge. That takes cycles off of the battery and will extend its life.
Technically, letting it drain until 90% or only draining it for 5 minutes counts toward the same number of cycles.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Technically, letting it drain until 90% or only draining it for 5 minutes counts toward the same number of cycles.

That's not what I mean. I mean you let the little discharges add up until it reaches 90%, and then it charges. Say you put it to sleep, unplug it, then plug it back in. It won't recharge that 1% it lost during the move. If you always have it sitting on a desk plugged it, it won't help. I haul mine back and forth to work every day though, so it's great for me. It charges every two weeks or so instead of every time I plug it back in.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Karthe posted:

I'm bummed out that I have to install specific drivers from Dell to get the option to turn off the touch pad when I have a mouse attached to my laptop. You'd think by now that such an option would be integrated into Windows, but then again I'm not even sure such functionality is a part of the default mouse driver "model" (for lack of a better word).

Touchpads present themselves as standard pointing devices until you install specific drivers, so there's no way for Windows to tell if you have a touchpad or a regular mouse until that point.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

ElProducto posted:

I also have to ask why you're so concerned about keeping your battery so immaculate if you never use it. Keeping the thing always charged at 50% is like having a half dead battery anyway.

Welp, I guess I shouldn't be. I just stumbled upon the option when I first got the laptop and didn't really think about it just turned it on. So, from all these replies and no answers I'm assuming there isn't an option for this built into Windows and I should try the Sony software again?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
In the Hardware Short questions thread I asked whether I'd be able to run two different cards on the same system (Not SLI'ed) and was told that Windows 7 and Vista both require you to use the same driver for each card.

If I'm using a 6600GT and a 9800GT, would they not be running off of the same Nvidia driver? (185.5?)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
This article from Ars is pretty great. It lists all the tiny little changes from 7000 to 7100. Nerding out here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Messadiah posted:

Welp, I guess I shouldn't be. I just stumbled upon the option when I first got the laptop and didn't really think about it just turned it on. So, from all these replies and no answers I'm assuming there isn't an option for this built into Windows and I should try the Sony software again?

Well no you shouldn't, because there's no point. It won't increase battery life and it's still constantly charging anyway to combat the self-discharge rate of your battery.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001

fishmech posted:

Well no you shouldn't, because there's no point. It won't increase battery life and it's still constantly charging anyway to combat the self-discharge rate of your battery.

His problem is that the battery is still only charging to 50% and he can't change it because the software won't start or reinstall.

At this point I think your best choice is to reinstall windows. It doesn't take that long, and at this point it's probably the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also, upgrading from 7100 to 7137 fixed the problem I had where Office 2007 wouldn't install because it couldn't find its own files. The Zune installer still doesn't work for this computer though...