Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Im having problems with Windows 7 completely freezing up on me. It seemed to happen randomly where I would just be doing anything and all of a suddent it stops. I can't move the mouse. Can't CTRL ALT DEL. Can't do anything except reset.

It will happen on start up or after a few hours.

I've got no idea. Right now I think its linked to steam where that was giving me errors and whenever I would load that it would happen. But then again it works sometimes so I don't know.

It doesn't appear to happen in safe mode but then my lovely wireless PCI adapter isn't detected in safe mode.

I would really not rather reformat.

Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Xenomorph posted:

I just logged in and it is still letting me grab stuff.

You're using http://msdn01.e-academy.com/ACM to log in, right?

I get the following error message:

ACM MSDNAA posted:

Username: If you have recently changed courses, it's possible that you no longer qualify for access to this system, and as a result Your account may have been disabled. If you are unsure, please contact the MSDNAA Program Administrator on your campus, or contact the administration office for your department. Your MSNDAA Program Administrator's contact information can be found under the Support section.

Also on the ACM website, they've changed the requirements to opt in. You now have to provide a student ID number and name of your student adviser. Also supposedly Windows 7 in all of it's flavors is gone from the site, but you can still review your previous "purchases".

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Yep, looks like no more Windows 7 for ACM. I just went to the ACM site and tried to join and got this lovely message:

"The Microsoft Developer Academic Alliance package
DOES NOT contain Windows 7."

https://campus.acm.org/public/QuickJoin/qj_control.cfm?form_type=Student

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Fists Up posted:

Im having problems with Windows 7 completely freezing up on me. It seemed to happen randomly where I would just be doing anything and all of a suddent it stops. I can't move the mouse. Can't CTRL ALT DEL. Can't do anything except reset.

It will happen on start up or after a few hours.

I've got no idea. Right now I think its linked to steam where that was giving me errors and whenever I would load that it would happen. But then again it works sometimes so I don't know.

It doesn't appear to happen in safe mode but then my lovely wireless PCI adapter isn't detected in safe mode.

I would really not rather reformat.

Any help?
Try running in normal mode without peripherals first, like Graphics Card, NIC, extra Hard Drives etc. before reformatting. Doesn't sound like a Windows problem so much as a dodgy driver/device.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

osigas posted:

Try running in normal mode without peripherals first, like Graphics Card, NIC, extra Hard Drives etc. before reformatting. Doesn't sound like a Windows problem so much as a dodgy driver/device.

Got rid of the wireless card because that was my chief suspect. Now running with a 10 metre cable to my room. If it doesnt crash over the next few days I can know its that.

Then I might be able to see if windows detects the drivers for me and I wont install the d link crap as before I had no internet for windows to search for drivers in the first place.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
My podcatching prog of choice, Juicer, doesn't seem to want to work in 64-bit, does anyone have a suggestion on a non-iTunes, free podcast retriever?

Juicer worked once and was able to download everything, but ever since when I boot up or try to start it I get a pop-up box that says there's a problem with Juicer and the info has been added to a log file, which I can't decipher.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cadex posted:

This article just popped up on the front page of the BBC News website. Is it really such a common problem?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

I was surprised to see it on the front page of the website which is usually where you find the most important, serious global stories, not news about Windows crashing.

It happened to me on the day I got Windows 7 but it went away after the second attempt to load the system and it hasn't bothered me since.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The update to that article says it's malware, so do your scans, etc.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I had something weird happen this morning. My computer once again mysteriously shut down last night for no apparent reason so I went to turn it on to attend my online class and my programs were all wonky. I restarted and it allowed me to log in then gave me a black screen with a message talking about how my copy of W7 is not Genuine. I assure you it is a legit copy (got mine through the launch party program). It let me click ok and all is well it seems but still weird. Any ideas on why it would all of a sudden question the legitimacy of my copy?

Edit: It didn't say that my copy wasn't genuine, it said it might not be.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I am purchasing a netbook for my 7 year old sister and will need to have good parental control so she doesn't lose her innocence on the internet. How does Windows 7 run on netbooks? How effective is the Parental Control in Windows 7?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jam2 posted:

I am purchasing a netbook for my 7 year old sister and will need to have good parental control so she doesn't lose her innocence on the internet. How does Windows 7 run on netbooks? How effective is the Parental Control in Windows 7?

Performance is great, but I have no idea on the Parental Controls.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

I have a Creative X-FI card and I've been getting a TON of crashes and stuttering in Modern Warfare 2, which I think might be related to the sound card. Does anyone know if Windows Update will install its own drivers for the card yet, or am I stuck with the ones from Creative that haven't been updated since April?

I might just rip the card out of my computer and turn the Realtek chip back on - I can't loving believe how awful Creative's support is. Isn't the X-FI still the newest brand they have?

Galmar
Oct 2, 2007

by Ozma
Kind of a noob question here.

I've just got an ACER Aspire 5738G with Win7 preinstalled, no OEM version was supplied to me, yet I got the Win7 liscence key on the back.

My questions are these - if i reformatted what am I "supposed" to do, also whats the deal with all of the hardware device drivers, do they all get installed when I install the OS or via automatic updates or something?

Also, would this also be the case if i put XP SP2/3 on instead of the Win7 install? I'm sure my version of Win7 doesn't have XP compatibility but I plan on leaving lots of old games installed (Baldurs gate II, Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2 etc..)

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Galmar posted:

Also, would this also be the case if i put XP SP2/3 on instead of the Win7 install? I'm sure my version of Win7 doesn't have XP compatibility but I plan on leaving lots of old games installed (Baldurs gate II, Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2 etc..)

Those games all work with Windows 7. As far as games go, I can't think of a single one that works on XP but not Windows 7.

For Fallout 2 you'll need to do a little work to fix the graphics corruption and performance on modern computers: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_2_colors_problem/_/1

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Jam2 posted:

Looks like they are limited to controlling when a user account can be used (Only Sunday, between 4 and 6 pm, stuff like that). Blocking games by ESRB rating and blocking specific programs.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

jmu posted:

Looks like they are limited to controlling when a user account can be used (Only Sunday, between 4 and 6 pm, stuff like that). Blocking games by ESRB rating and blocking specific programs.

Lame.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Jam2 posted:

Lame.

IE has parental controls. The strictest option you can just approve "good" sites and block everything else

e: they changed some stuff from vista. Use this: http://download.live.com/familysafety

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 3, 2009

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Does anyone know how to remove windows defender updates from Windows Update?

There is a new one released everyday and, while I'd rather not have windows update automatically download and install updates, I'd either like it to do that JUST for windows defender updates or just never show the drat things at all.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I have a Creative X-FI card and I've been getting a TON of crashes and stuttering in Modern Warfare 2, which I think might be related to the sound card. Does anyone know if Windows Update will install its own drivers for the card yet, or am I stuck with the ones from Creative that haven't been updated since April?

I might just rip the card out of my computer and turn the Realtek chip back on - I can't loving believe how awful Creative's support is. Isn't the X-FI still the newest brand they have?

I played WM2 with little to no stuttering. The game ran wonderful on my x-fi, e6300 @3ghz and 8800gts. (This is at 1920x1200.) I also never had a single crash.

Creative is a POS company and I will never buy a card from them ever again. I guess it does not matter since MS finally put an end to bullshit like EAX and DirectSound3d in vista and above. I am glad MS did this, it's wonderful to not have to buy a lovely creative card just to have 5.1 sound in games. Seriously, this is one of the best changes MS made to how sound works in windows. It also probably helps system stability as well.

Perhaps the crashes could be related to some other hardware issue such as ram?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Capnbigboobies posted:

Perhaps the crashes could be related to some other hardware issue such as ram?

Maybe a screwy hard drive, but I haven't experienced the problems in any other game. I even defragged the game files through Steam.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Jensen posted:

Does anyone know how to remove windows defender updates from Windows Update?

There is a new one released everyday and, while I'd rather not have windows update automatically download and install updates, I'd either like it to do that JUST for windows defender updates or just never show the drat things at all.

So do you you use Windows Defender? I'm not sure of a way to disable updates just for it without turning off Defender (which you can do if you have "real" AV running, just go into Defender options and uncheck "Use this program" at the very bottom).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

jmu posted:

So do you you use Windows Defender? I'm not sure of a way to disable updates just for it without turning off Defender (which you can do if you have "real" AV running, just go into Defender options and uncheck "Use this program" at the very bottom).

Ah great thanks.

I didn't realize windows was smart enough to not update windows defender if it was turned off. I figured it would just keep sending me definition updates if it was installed.

I just turned it off on my windows 7 machines so we'll see if I get any more definition updates.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Jam2 posted:

On my daughter's system, I'm using OpenDNS.

If you sign up on their site, you can enable filtering. I have it block all adult sites and stuff like that.

If you Router works with Dynamic DNS services, I think you can update the OpenDNS site with your current IP that way (they need to know your current IP so they know who to block what sites for).

Basically free and VERY effective content filtering.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Jam2 posted:

Windows 7 is pretty fast on netbooks, except for file browsing. That's pretty sluggish compared to XP. I'm not sure whether to attribute that to a lack of optimization or frickin' huge icons.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Windows 7 is pretty fast on netbooks, except for file browsing. That's pretty sluggish compared to XP. I'm not sure whether to attribute that to a lack of optimization or frickin' huge icons.

It's been optimized..but not in the way you expect

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/25/engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx

Its all being offloaded to the GPU. Most netbooks gpus suck, they are attached to slow system ram, and is shared by the OS.

Binary
May 21, 2004
Just installed a new copy of Windows 7 Home pro on a new PC. I've installed the latest video card drivers (HD 4890) and the text still looks blurry and the refresh rate seems to be bothering me. For whatever reason it lists the refresh rate as 59HZ, if I set it to 60 it's back at 59 when I check again, where in the world does this number come from? The desktop graphics right now look like I've gone to a previous version of Windows, not upgraded to the latest and greatest. Tested Fallout 3 and it seems to display fine, it's the desktop that's does not seem right.

Edit: the monitor is set to its native resolution as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Binary posted:

Just installed a new copy of Windows 7 Home pro on a new PC. I've installed the latest video card drivers (HD 4890) and the text still looks blurry and the refresh rate seems to be bothering me. For whatever reason it lists the refresh rate as 59HZ, if I set it to 60 it's back at 59 when I check again, where in the world does this number come from? The desktop graphics right now look like I've gone to a previous version of Windows, not upgraded to the latest and greatest. Tested Fallout 3 and it seems to display fine, it's the desktop that's does not seem right.

59 is shorthand for 59.94 (which you'd think is close enough to 60 as makes no difference), which is the ATSC standard refresh (because it was the NTSC standard refresh). It comes from the fact that the difference between computers and home theater components is rapidly decreasing - if they're from the past couple years and not a games console, your DVR and Blu-ray player are probably running either a custom Linux build or Windows CE - as are the differences between TVs and monitors, since a modern TV is basically just a display panel with a tuner and maybe speakers. So they make the A/V geek's job easy (easier anyway) and leave it to the computer geek to solve his own problems (or - as of Vista, with nVidia and HDMI anyway - not).

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Binary posted:

Try going through the wizard that adjusts your text to suite your monitor/eyes, I believe it's buried in the control panel somewhere (sorry I can't be more exact, I don't recall, maybe someone else can jump in here). It really helped for me.

Are you on a CRT? Otherwise I'm not sure why you'd think refresh rate is the culprit. What makes it seem "like an older version of windows"? Is Aero disabled for some reason?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
If you just installed 7, and it didn't pick up your graphics card, then its going to default to non-aero, even if you immediately install a proper driver. You have to go into properties to choose the aero version of windows default. Some drivers will do this for you but ATI does not.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 ultimate.

It's going fine and all, but when I run Windows Media Player, I have no options to watch the Visualizations.

I can look at the plug-ins and see that several come preinstalled (Alchemy, Battery, something else), but there is no option to enable/disable/watch/etc.

Is DirectX required to view this sort of thing? I installed it yesterday and it didn't seem to fix it.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer
Just press the Windows key and type cleartype, you should see the Adjust ClearType Text application.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just got my Pro copy from Win741 (Took long enough, didn't have a .edu email).

I was surprised to see that Windows Anytime Upgrade took the key and upgraded my copy of Home Premium to Professional. I was expecting it to only work with certain WAU keys.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got Home Premium x64 on my desktop now but I'm still having the same problem as on the RC. If I auto-hide the taskbar and my computer idles for more that 10 minutes or so, Windows freezes either for a few seconds or completely and I have to do a hard reboot. If I don't auto-hide the taskbar it doesn't have any problems. Is anyone else having this issue?

Binary
May 21, 2004

Ryokurin posted:

If you just installed 7, and it didn't pick up your graphics card, then its going to default to non-aero, even if you immediately install a proper driver. You have to go into properties to choose the aero version of windows default. Some drivers will do this for you but ATI does not.

Yeah that was it, thanks. Whatever them it was on looked like crap.

New problem: I hooked up my LCD TV via the HDMI port on the video card. It'll play sound on it only if I unlug the main speakers. How can I get it to play on both simultaneously?
Also, how do I make the DVD image itself take up the whole screen? If I full screen the player the image is quite a bit smaller than the size of the screen.

Edit: I know this is nitpicky but it displays the top few pixels of the task bar when it is hidden. Is there a way to have it be completely hidden when it goes down?

Binary fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 5, 2009

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004
I clean-installed 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop and Internet Explorer 8 freezes on me many, many times a day. Typically, when I open a page in a new tab IE fades to that lighter "uh-oh" shade, and when I hit the close button it says its unresponsive and needs to be closed.

Is there a way for me to track down what might be causing it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WarTribble posted:

I clean-installed 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop and Internet Explorer 8 freezes on me many, many times a day. Typically, when I open a page in a new tab IE fades to that lighter "uh-oh" shade, and when I hit the close button it says its unresponsive and needs to be closed.

Is there a way for me to track down what might be causing it?

First thing I would try is resetting IE8 back to default settings. Go to Control Panel-->Internet options-->Advanced, then hit the 'restore advanced settings' and that reset button.

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

First thing I would try is resetting IE8 back to default settings. Go to Control Panel-->Internet options-->Advanced, then hit the 'restore advanced settings' and that reset button.

Thanks. Done. Now to wait and see if that fixed it.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH
so my room mate just bought a new computer and a copy of windows 7. Unfortunately, his old xp os won't allow him to register it on his new computer since he has already registered it to his laptop. Does anyone know the easiest way to buy a product key to get windows 7 rolling? He can't install 7 until his xp has been activated

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Hungry Joe posted:

so my room mate just bought a new computer and a copy of windows 7. Unfortunately, his old xp os won't allow him to register it on his new computer since he has already registered it to his laptop. Does anyone know the easiest way to buy a product key to get windows 7 rolling? He can't install 7 until his xp has been activated

It should prompt him to call Microsoft. He should probably do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

c0burn posted:

It should prompt him to call Microsoft. He should probably do that.

he called them but that didn't seem to get him anywhere. i think he figured something else out though, thanks