Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I checked the internet, and apparently to boost performance you should:
1. Disable all visual features
2. Disable UAC
3. Disable System Restore
4. Disable some random services with no explanation of why
Isn't the consensus that UAC is something you shouldn't disable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

As opposed to some random services. gently caress those.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I dunno I think goons would be better off wasting their energy getting people to switch from XP rather than scaring them into leaving UAC on

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fallom posted:

I dunno I think goons would be better off wasting their energy getting people to switch from XP rather than scaring them into leaving UAC on
Those aren't mutually exclusive. We should get people to switch to Win7 and use UAC.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

man thats gross posted:

Aha! I think I figured it out! Custom text icons + this little trick!

I think I'm going to try something similar when I get home.

AFAIK that's just ObjectDock with text icons. I'll try and find a link to the text icons.

e: here we go
http://styrizo.deviantart.com/art/Reflections-DOCK-63898044

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 1, 2009

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

No no, just check out Rainmeter and RocketDock. There's tons of info about them in the XP beautification thread.

4 Day Weekend posted:

AFAIK that's just ObjectDock with text icons. I'll try and find a link to the text icons.

e: here we go
http://styrizo.deviantart.com/art/Reflections-DOCK-63898044

You guys are awesome.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

This may be a stupid question, but I'm on build 7100 64bit, and I see people mentioning build 7700. How do I upgrade to that?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I'm on build 7100 64bit, and I see people mentioning build 7700. How do I upgrade to that?

It doesn't exist, don't worry yourself.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Does anyone ever lose the taskbar when the computer wakes up? The only way for me to bring it back it seems, is to restart, but it's pain in the rear end so I spend a ton of time just win+tabbing my way through life.

Yes, I had that problem for a while.
Do you have a screensaver enabled? When I disabled mine, that problem went away by itself.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Does anyone have a SHA or md5 for 7137?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would just like to say that it is loving beautiful to have almost everything work with Windows's built in drivers. Almost everything works without downloading drivers.

Mido posted:

Does anyone have a SHA or md5 for 7137?
32bit
MD5: 2f7520915dff55380e979e67ae4687db
SHA1: ff9c8751095e77be0fd4a0a0a937e3eab0c18943

64bit
MD5: 0d863472414efc337d032e8ed33c347b
SHA1: 8e35d15281a554fd890ad682249e485b9b82278c

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I checked the internet, and apparently to boost performance you should:
1. Disable all visual features
2. Disable UAC
3. Disable System Restore
4. Disable some random services with no explanation of why

5. Use a computer that isn't 10 years old

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

5. Use a computer that isn't 10 years old

Isn't 7's minimus specs lower than Vista's? ...and closer to XP's

I got 7 running fine on an old lovely computer from like 2001.

It must be older than that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this is the right section but does anyone here have problems such as having a blue screen crash at the end of the windows 7100 64 bit installation? Apparently, windows does not like my beta BIOS drivers and keeps on having a memory dump. I'm forced to use the beta BIOS drivers to support the CPU because my motherboard is a 2006 nforce4 AM2, while the CPU is a 2008 Athlon X2 6000+. Ubuntu 9.04 somehow does not have any problems.

I really like the win7 task bar and the new interface. But one major gripe I have is dual monitor support. My E8400, radeon 4870 detects the primary Samsung 2443BW but does not activate the signal of my Benq G2400W secondary monitor. Tried catalyst drivers 9.3 - 9.5 with/without CCC but still no luck :( It's great that win7 can auto detect monitors and download their drivers with separate colour profiles but Dual monitors is its weakness. Sorry if this is more of a tech support post.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Is OpenGL completely hosed in this build of Windows 7 as well? I loved Win7 Beta, but I couldn't stand not being without my Quake Live and Tribes 2. Apparently it worked for some people, but for those people with ATI cards and the 64-bit version of Vista we were out of luck.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
ATI just makes lovely OpenGL drivers but I've heard nvidia isn't much better. The last couple of card generations have just not bothered having nice drivers. I'm into Quake 1 engine mods and it's a pain in the arse.

I blame ID for not releasing a game since 2004.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

uXs posted:

To answer my own question, this is most likely the fault of TMM, which does automatic detection of when monitors are turned on and off, but which apparently doesn't do it very well.

Not going to put a link to how to turn it off because it's easy enough to find and the procedure will probably outdated rather quickly.

Tried turning TMM off, but it doesn't help. Windows still keeps losing my TV as my second monitor when I turn it off. (And not detecting it again when I turn it back on, which is the main problem.)

Any ideas on how to solve this?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

uXs posted:

Tried turning TMM off, but it doesn't help. Windows still keeps losing my TV as my second monitor when I turn it off. (And not detecting it again when I turn it back on, which is the main problem.)

Any ideas on how to solve this?

What graphics card and what type of connections are you using?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

c0burn posted:

What graphics card and what type of connections are you using?

Geforce 7950GT. Monitor is connected with DVI and TV with a DVI-HDMI cable.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I dunno if nvidia has a "force TV detection" checkbox like ATI does, you could try that. Older cards tend to have dodgy support as well from ATI/nVidia.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Emo Businessman posted:

Is OpenGL completely hosed in this build of Windows 7 as well? I loved Win7 Beta, but I couldn't stand not being without my Quake Live and Tribes 2. Apparently it worked for some people, but for those people with ATI cards and the 64-bit version of Vista we were out of luck.
I found a way around this to get CounterStike and Quake working on my 7100 x64 and ATI x1600 on some forum somewhere, someone who had knocked out a solution (though I forget where so can't link/credit them) used the latest working catalyst driver (which for me is catalyst 9.1) but also found that the last working OpenGL driver which works with Win7 (part of Catalyst 8.9) and the relevant .dll's so you can keep the latest drivers for general graphics and D3D games but getting OpenGL's rear end in gear.
code:
1. Get the Catalyst 8.9 (vista x64) package

2. Use 7-Zip to extract the files inside the package exe

3. Inside the extracted files, search and copy the two files below
atioglxx.dl_ (about 4MB)
atioglxx.xml (very small size)

4. For the tutorials sake, paste the two files in the root of your C:\

5. Start command prompt, go to C: then type "expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll" (you will notice the dll file is now about 9MB)

8. Go to C:\Windows then search for the dll and xml files one-by-one using the top right search box

9. Go to each of the folders that contain the dll and xml files, take ownership and overwrite them

10. Start your favorite old school OpenGL game in full screen without flicker!
Though it's a ball ache to have to get around it, I've got everything running fine now

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A pretty cool Gmail notifier just for Win7 with jump lists and stuff.

One stolen screenshot to tempt you:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

DarthBlingBling posted:

It doesn't exist, don't worry yourself.

There is something above 7100, as evidenced by the post 2 down from yours.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There is something above 7100, as evidenced by the post 2 down from yours.

There isn't a 7700, though.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Thermopyle posted:

Care to throw it up on a site like Sharebee? Hope I'm not the only one too lazy to register to be able to download.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

I just use Digsby, which has support for gmail and pops up and previews the emails, then automatically opens an internet tab to your gmail account if you double click or go to 'inbox.'

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Zuffox posted:

Care to throw it up on a site like Sharebee? Hope I'm not the only one too lazy to register to be able to download.

http://sharebee.com/25544be1

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Thanks.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

There isn't a 7700, though.

Ok. I just want to know how to keep up with the latest build.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Ok. I just want to know how to keep up with the latest build.

They'll be on torrents or newsgroups. If you make sure the hashes match what's posted here you should be fine.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

c0burn posted:

They'll be on torrents or newsgroups. If you make sure the hashes match what's posted here you should be fine.

Ok, thats cool. Do these require fresh formats to install, or do they go on right over the existing installation without messing anything up?

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Ok, thats cool. Do these require fresh formats to install, or do they go on right over the existing installation without messing anything up?

Most builds upgrade fine, from build 7000 to the RC (7100) it required you to edit the cversion.ini, but it's pretty much the general consensus that a fresh install is always better going from build to build.

If that isn't realistic, by all means, you can just upgrade without (mostly) any worries.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

There's really no reason to upgrade past 7100 if you aren't experiencing crashes, hardware incompatibilities or other problems. There are no new features or anything.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So last night I crammed the RC client onto my AAO netbook and its tiny 8GB drive. I stripped it down with Vlite to remove some of the larger features and crap I never use like languages. However now its yipping about running out of space on the hard drive. It also claims to have installed the Windows 7 Ultimate although when I was stripping it down with Vlite I thought I told it to only work on Home basic. How would I go about installing Just Home Basic, since I have no need for most of the things the "bigger" versions install?

Otherwise aside from the hard drive problems I'm loving it, even the wireless toggle light works again.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

This looks like a pretty neat little program, and I like where this is going. I love the way it makes use of the preview screen, and I can't wait for more people to start doing the same. I'm sure people will find some very cool uses for it that I can't even imagine.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I don't suppose w7 has a built in virtual drive manager like daemon tools, does it?

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Pretty sure it does not, the only virtual disk program I know that works is poweriso.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Argila posted:

Pretty sure it does not, the only virtual disk program I know that works is poweriso.

Alcohol 120% works as well, at least for me.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I think this works too well.

Just switched to 7 last night, and after a little while of getting used to it everything seems to work fine. Hopefully things stay this way with all the games I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone know a good podcast client that works with 7? I was using Juice on 7077 but on upgrading to 7100 I found I can't make it work, since a file I needed to change last time doesn't appear. Doesn't support Vista anyway so there's probably something more current out there.