Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Hav posted:

Civilization IV is, however, toast.

I've been running it better than it ever did on XP. The first time I ran it, it told me Aero wasn't compatible and asked me if I wanted to automatically switch when running it. It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hav posted:

I can confirm that Chrome is working well; Windows 7 64-bit ultimate. No issues at all.

I'm currently also using the Comodo AV/Firewall combo with little or no issues since AVG annoyed me enough to go looking for something else.

Civilization IV is, however, toast.

Yeah, Win7 x64 has been the primary platform that I've played Civ4 on..

I bought some Civ4 pack on Steam (Civilization IV, the Warlords thing, Beyond the Sword, and a Colonies version).

Although I've played a little of it on Windows 7 x86, most of my time has been under Windows 7 Professional x64.

I've yet to play it under Vista or XP, but it has been flawless under Windows 7 x64 for me.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shofixti posted:

Well I have a 8800GTS 512 and I had a lot of problems with the 190+ drivers. I was getting poor framerates in just about every game I tried. I had Vista on the exact same system with no problems at all with the same drivers. As I understand it, Vista & 7 have extremely similar driver architecture so I was a bit surprised by that. I eventually rolled back to 185.85 and it's been fine. Just one anecdote though :shobon:

185 and 186 I think were the two which were most recommended when I did some quick searches, but a lot of people reported no problems with 195 either. My framerates seem normal with 195 so I'll see how it goes.

I think 191 or 192 is the one they were suspecting of causing hardware failure in some cards which makes me :psyduck:, but several sites seemed to confirm it...

rawstorm
May 10, 2008

by Ozma
I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my new build. I got the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit .iso from the MSDNAA website through my school, so it is legitimate.

I burned the .iso onto a 16x DVD+R DVD with Active ISO Burner at 2.4x speed and I checked the "verify data" box also.

My build has a core i5, 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz memory, 2 HD 4870s in crossfire, 2 640GB 7200 rpm SATA Western Digital hard drives, an old (from 2005) IDE 22x DVD-CD drive, and a MSI P55GD65 motherboard.

I want to setup RAID 0 on the two hard drives.

The problem is that Windows takes VERY long to begin installing and then it says that I'm "missing a driver" and need to insert a floppy/USB/CD-ROM drive. For example the screen that says "Setup is Starting" takes over an hour to finish. At first I though that the driver it was asking for was the RAID driver so I copied the driver files onto my USB drive and put it in when it asked for the drivers. I checked the "Hide drivers not compatible with my hardware" box and it showed me 1 driver, but when I tried to install it it said that "No new devices were found..."

What can the problem be? I think it has something to do with either the hard drives or the DVD drive. Do I need to install special SATA drivers? Is the fact that my DVD drive is IDE a problem?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rawstorm posted:

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my new build. I got the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit .iso from the MSDNAA website through my school, so it is legitimate.

I burned the .iso onto a 16x DVD+R DVD with Active ISO Burner at 2.4x speed and I checked the "verify data" box also.

My build has a core i5, 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz memory, 2 HD 4870s in crossfire, 2 640GB 7200 rpm SATA Western Digital hard drives, an old (from 2005) IDE 22x DVD-CD drive, and a MSI P55GD65 motherboard.

I want to setup RAID 0 on the two hard drives.

The problem is that Windows takes VERY long to begin installing and then it says that I'm "missing a driver" and need to insert a floppy/USB/CD-ROM drive. For example the screen that says "Setup is Starting" takes over an hour to finish. At first I though that the driver it was asking for was the RAID driver so I copied the driver files onto my USB drive and put it in when it asked for the drivers. I checked the "Hide drivers not compatible with my hardware" box and it showed me 1 driver, but when I tried to install it it said that "No new devices were found..."

What can the problem be? I think it has something to do with either the hard drives or the DVD drive. Do I need to install special SATA drivers? Is the fact that my DVD drive is IDE a problem?

You need drivers for one of two things here.

Your RAID controller or, get this, your IDE controller. I've had it happen to me that my Jmicron IDE controller wasn't detected once setup was running.

Download the drivers you need and place em on a USB stick and when it asks you for the drivers point it to the USB stick. I think you can make a custom install ISO using nlite as well.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

rawstorm posted:

On this current desktop I have two DVD-drives. One is internal, the other external. For some reason, the internal one seems to not be able to read discs as good as the external one. When I tried to install with the internal DVD-drive, it took ages to boot and when it finally got there it gave me this error.

I too burned it, and verified it to make sure it was all fine. I then tried installing it with the external DVD-drive, and that did the trick.

tl;dr: See if you can get your hands on another DVD-drive to rule out your drive doesn't read discs properly.

rawstorm
May 10, 2008

by Ozma

Stanley Pain posted:

You need drivers for one of two things here.

Your RAID controller or, get this, your IDE controller. I've had it happen to me that my Jmicron IDE controller wasn't detected once setup was running.

Download the drivers you need and place em on a USB stick and when it asks you for the drivers point it to the USB stick. I think you can make a custom install ISO using nlite as well.

How do I install IDE drivers before I begin installing Windows? Is it possible? I just don't want to wait 2 hours to get to the screen that asks me for drivers.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
Installing from a DVD drive took forever for me as well. I went back to work and just put the install on a usb stick I had.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Well, got to the bottom of my echoey line-in issues. The Realtek control panel presents both a recording volume and a playback volume for the line-in, and these are seperately mute-able.

Both devices were enabled by default.

With both those enabled, and then via Windows saying 'Listen to this device', one got echoing. The solution turned out to be to 'mute' Realtek's playback device. Thus, I have only one device playing back line-in, so no echoing, and because it is *Windows* doing the playback now, I *also* get the volume control showing in the mixer too.

Thanks again for your earlier advice, Casao.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Oh man. I didn't have any annoyances with this running the RC, but now that I've updated to full version professional, all the folders I had while running the RC are flagged as belonging to someone else. This is fine, I know I need to take ownership of them and whatnot but... is there a way to do it all at once because going through a 1.5TB drive of poo poo and flagging each individual folder as belonging to me is kind of a bitch. Flagging the drive as belonging to me didn't change the stuff on it, and flagging a root folder isn't changing the folders inside of it. Am I just doing this wrong?

[edit]NEVERMIND there is a checkbox to take control of subcontainers! :downs:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2009

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I dropped by external HD a few feet and I was wondering if there are any (free) tools that can check if it's borked.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

Josh Lyman posted:

I dropped by external HD a few feet and I was wondering if there are any (free) tools that can check if it's borked.

If it's borked, the only operation you want to do is copy your data off the drive, as scanning it will encourage it to die sooner. If you're not sure, the best bet is to back up the important stuff on the drive, listen for any clicking or strange noises coming from the drive, and if it seems okay then check the drive for errors (right click the drive > properties > tools > Check now...)

LordKain
Oct 8, 2006

Thanks for the replies.

So to solve the question of Firefox/Chrome in 64-bit Win7, just use the usual 32-bit versions because they are compatible (and all plugins will work), right?

I looked and I think there's drivers for my printer, so no worries there.

Logitech stuff will work good, there's 64-bit versions of the software. But really I just use my mouse at the 2k dpi though the info panel on the keyboard is nice to have.

Far Cry 2, however, is a touchy point. I've been enjoying that game again recently and would hate to have it not work. Though I heard that this works as a fix for the compatibility issues.

Hmmm for older games, could I run a VirtualBox VM of XP and have them work? Or does that still depends too much on Win7 compatibility?

Also, still looking for answers on these:
I know about XP Mode, however I have heard there are some issues with some programs. Also, I know that XP Mode opens a VM but what happens if you have to run multiple programs in XP Mode? Does it open multiple VMs to run them all? Or is it considered one VM?

Anyone using Photoshop CS3 on Win7?

And how about things like Malwarebytes and stuff?

These go for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win7, of course.

Thanks!

rawstorm
May 10, 2008

by Ozma

Wreckus posted:

Installing from a DVD drive took forever for me as well. I went back to work and just put the install on a usb stick I had.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/

:waycool:

Installed from a USB and was finished in 30 minutes. Am posting this from my new build.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

LordKain posted:

I know about XP Mode, however I have heard there are some issues with some programs. Also, I know that XP Mode opens a VM but what happens if you have to run multiple programs in XP Mode? Does it open multiple VMs to run them all? Or is it considered one VM?

There was a post about this, not even a page ago. A VM system will work as an OS and will stay within its boundaries. Your question about if running multiple applications simultaneously would be a problem is weird, since that's been possible since Windows 3.1.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Grawl posted:

There was a post about this, not even a page ago. A VM system will work as an OS and will stay within its boundaries. Your question about if running multiple applications simultaneously would be a problem is weird, since that's been possible since Windows 3.1.
I think what he was trying to ask has to do with XPM's "Seemless application" feature where your program can be run directly from 7 and appears in the native GUI without any extra borders. If that's the case, the answer is no because they will all still be running off the same base VM install and process. It's merely a graphical trick to "pop" the window out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rawstorm posted:

How do I install IDE drivers before I begin installing Windows? Is it possible? I just don't want to wait 2 hours to get to the screen that asks me for drivers.

You'd have to either create an nlited install DVD, or make a bootable USB drive install and place extra drivers in \Drivers off the root of the USB drive.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So I was browsing these forums like usual about 2 hours ago, haven't had any problem with the internet since installing windows 7 Pro x64.
It just shut off on me, my internet connection. The lights on the back of my ethernet card are lit, but it cant connect/detect to my router anymore. I have a linksys router WRT54G. Any help would be amazing ASAP (finals tomorrow)

When going to network connection on windows it doesnt detect my home network anymore.

fixed: I just restarted my computer and presto it worked again. My computer has been very unreliable lately.

GZA Genius fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 17, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stanley Pain posted:

You'd have to either create an nlited install DVD, or make a bootable USB drive install and place extra drivers in \Drivers off the root of the USB drive.

Or you can just use a regular disk and place the drivers on a usb stick or god forbid a floppy, just like XP.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

GZA Genius posted:

When going to network connection on windows it doesnt detect my home network anymore.

Did you reset your router and your computer?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Maybe this isn't news to anyone else, but I just discovered a nifty little feature of Win7. The other night I had an external HD hooked up that I was copying some stuff off of. When I was done, I ejected it with the safely remove hardware deal, but had forgotten to first close the explorer window I had open that was displaying the contents of the drive. In every previous version of Windows I've used, this leads telling you to gently caress off because the drive is in use. But Win7 just gracefully closed the explorer window and then ejected the drive like I told it to.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

chizad posted:

Maybe this isn't news to anyone else, but I just discovered a nifty little feature of Win7. The other night I had an external HD hooked up that I was copying some stuff off of. When I was done, I ejected it with the safely remove hardware deal, but had forgotten to first close the explorer window I had open that was displaying the contents of the drive. In every previous version of Windows I've used, this leads telling you to gently caress off because the drive is in use. But Win7 just gracefully closed the explorer window and then ejected the drive like I told it to.

Didn't Vista do that as well?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Proposing this as the title of the next Windows 7 thread.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I don't recall ever seeing Vista doing it, although to be honest the "close anything that might be using it, THEN safely remove" behavior is almost second nature to me so I may not have ever had a situation that would've triggered it. I did a few quick tests on my Vista laptop here and I'm getting the in use message. Plugged in a thumbdrive, opened an Explorer window to browse the contents, but at no point did I actually access any files or copy anything to it. As soon as I closed the explorer window I was able to safely remove without any problems.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think even XP might have done that, thinking on it. I seem to remember that and I never used Vista. :ohdear:

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

Drox posted:

I think even XP might have done that, thinking on it. I seem to remember that and I never used Vista. :ohdear:

XP dont do it for sure

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Read the OP and didn't see anything about this mentioned, but here's my situation: I paid for the student download of 7 Pro, but because I didn't want to pay extra for the media and the download is down now, I don't have any way to install it anymore. Can I do anything?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Moogs posted:

Read the OP and didn't see anything about this mentioned, but here's my situation: I paid for the student download of 7 Pro, but because I didn't want to pay extra for the media and the download is down now, I don't have any way to install it anymore. Can I do anything?

If you have a key, go search for an un-hosed-with iso torrent.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Moogs posted:

Surprisingly, there are non dynamic iso download links available from digital river. I'm not sure how that came about but these are the same links you get if you email digital river tech support and ask for an iso instead of the exe.

32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

32-bit Windows 7 Professional x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65804/X15-65804.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

LordKain
Oct 8, 2006

Swilo posted:

I think what he was trying to ask has to do with XPM's "Seemless application" feature where your program can be run directly from 7 and appears in the native GUI without any extra borders. If that's the case, the answer is no because they will all still be running off the same base VM install and process. It's merely a graphical trick to "pop" the window out.

No.

Say I also want to run three XP Mode programs because they are not Win7 compatible. Does this incur three separate instances of the Virtual Machine?
Like, for example, in XP if I want to run three separate VMs for XP and run one program in each, is it the same way? Or is Win7 'smart' enough to just open one Win XP VM (as I know there's a big difference in terms of resources)?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Awesome, thanks a lot!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

LordKain posted:

No.

Say I also want to run three XP Mode programs because they are not Win7 compatible. Does this incur three separate instances of the Virtual Machine?
Like, for example, in XP if I want to run three separate VMs for XP and run one program in each, is it the same way? Or is Win7 'smart' enough to just open one Win XP VM (as I know there's a big difference in terms of resources)?

It's just one VM afaik

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, XP is loaded ONCE in the background.

In "seamless" mode (or the "enable integration" or whatever its called), the XP VM is hidden/ran in the background (kind of like Classic mode in Mac OS X), and a Remote Desktop session is opened to it, showing just the window of the application you want opened (kind of like Citrix).

chizad posted:

Ok, it looks like Vista did do this.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/183044-vista-cd-eject-causes-explorer-close.html

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/104774-windows-explorer-closes-itself-cd-dvd-disk-eject.html

People bitched about Vista's annoying "feature" of closing the Explorer window! Man, Vista must have sucked with Microsoft cramming that kind of poo poo down our throats. Good thing we have Windows 7 now with cool features like closing the Explorer window.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 17, 2009

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, XP is loaded ONCE in the background.

In "seamless" mode (or the "enable integration" or whatever its called), the XP VM is hidden/ran in the background (kind of like Classic mode in Mac OS X), and a Remote Desktop session is opened to it, showing just the window of the application you want opened (kind of like Citrix).

Ok, it looks like Vista did do this.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/183044-vista-cd-eject-causes-explorer-close.html

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/104774-windows-explorer-closes-itself-cd-dvd-disk-eject.html

People bitched about Vista's annoying "feature" of closing the Explorer window! Man, Vista must have sucked with Microsoft cramming that kind of poo poo down our throats. Good thing we have Windows 7 now with cool features like closing the Explorer window.

Hmmm, wonder why they made the change for CDs/DVDs in Vista but not USB devices. (Or at least, I have yet to be able to reproduce this behavior with a USB device in Vista.)

LordKain
Oct 8, 2006

Mm that sounds rather delicious, thank you!

So, XP Mode fears have been taken care of.

So... I think that takes care of all the really important stuff. I suppose I should get around to buying it before Jan 10th heh. Worse comes worse I'm out $30 if I don't like it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

Can you elaborate?

Well, it seems the weight of opinion is against me, so it might just be some 'complications' I'm having with the Radeon 5770. It installs, warns me about aero and turns it off and I switched it to compat mode. After about a hour, it'll just crash back to the desktop.

I'd just put it down to it being too old, but I'll give it another fiddle with soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grrowl posted:

If it's borked, the only operation you want to do is copy your data off the drive, as scanning it will encourage it to die sooner. If you're not sure, the best bet is to back up the important stuff on the drive, listen for any clicking or strange noises coming from the drive, and if it seems okay then check the drive for errors (right click the drive > properties > tools > Check now...)
It seems ok. The built in checker says there are no problems but my friend's file server was also given the all clear even though one of the drives encounters CRC errors. I was looking for something that would check every sector take take like 6 hours on my 2TB drive.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is there any way to enable autologon? Everything I search for basically tells me to disable the password. I'm positive on my last installation (my hard drive failed so had to install again) I was logging in automatically.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Does anyone have a good alternative to VirtualWin that works well in 7? VirtualWin installs but it seems when I designate an app to one desktop, it shows it across all desktops. It's pretty random, only some apps do it, not all, but enough to make it frustrating.