Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

strwrsxprt posted:

Keys aren't 32-bit/64-bit exclusive. Just install without a key. Windows 7 will run for 120 days without one.

When I was trying to activate my prebuilt system, on its first boot, things did not go well. After two failed attempts to enter the key (which I was extremely cautious to get right), Win7 got quite pissed off and went into "must activate today" mode. Fortunately the telephone activation process worked. (I don't understand how the telephone activation actually is able to validate your copy is legit, but whatever...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

strwrsxprt posted:

No.

Awesome. Thanks.

EDIT: Er, wait. It's listed in the shopping cart as "Upgrade." Will that prevent me from doing a fresh install on a blank drive? Or, if I keep the Vista drive connected, will it acknowledge the Vista install as valid to upgrade from while a) installing to the blank drive and b) not insisting on setting it up for dual-booting?

EDIT2: I'm an idiot. Found this link in the OP. If I'm reading that right, I should be fine no matter what?

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 20, 2009

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Kuroneko posted:

I got my copy of Win7 Pro off the MSDN before my account ended about two weeks before retail release, but just got around to installing it on a new computer. Built and posted fine, everything checks out, pop in the DVD and after it winds up... I get:

Not sure what the issue is here, but looking around online a few others had it back on the RC. System is using LITE-ON optical drives, and installation is RTM x64. Kinda weird, since I installed x86 fine on my laptop a month ago twice without issues. If you need a full system spec I'll write it out, in the meantime I guess I can try to find another image of the disc or something.

I have this exact same problem on a friends machine, using an MSDN x64pro iso on a flash drive (system has no dvd drive). its maddening. I've tried two different copies now. the same iso has successfully installed win7 on 3 other machines with no issue.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

tzirean posted:

Given that I'll be installing fresh on an entirely new hard drive, is there any reason not to go for Professional?

The only reason I can imagine is being concerned about having to pay a little more the next time you need to upgrade, since you won't be able to upgrade to home premium if you decide that's the version of Windows 8 you want.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LooseChanj posted:

The only reason I can imagine is being concerned about having to pay a little more the next time you need to upgrade, since you won't be able to upgrade to home premium if you decide that's the version of Windows 8 you want.

Assuming Windows 8 keeps the same Home Premium/Pro license scheme.

And if it works like 7, that only applies to in-place upgrade installs, the licenses will work fine so you can go from Pro to Home Premium. So you can still buy and use it.

Kuroneko
Jun 23, 2004
Black Cat

thrawn86 posted:

I have this exact same problem on a friends machine, using an MSDN x64pro iso on a flash drive (system has no dvd drive). its maddening. I've tried two different copies now. the same iso has successfully installed win7 on 3 other machines with no issue.

Well, I solved my issue by bothering a friend who still has his MSDN account to provide me with a fresh copy of the ISO. It was a different size, 3.0GB vs 2.75GB, but after burning it it installed flawlessly with no issues. I'm just gonna guess that the ISO I downloaded was incomplete or corrupted in some manner which is odd since it passed the verification check at the end. Oh well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Slopehead posted:

Exactly what I am talking about. Very frustrating.
As above, you can tell it not to store the lists.
Do make sure you've pinned any items you DO want to stay in the jumplist before hitting apply, as it won't give you option when its deselected.

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

Does anyone know if Windows 7 or foobar has any plugins that integrate it into the taskbar? I'm not talking about the hover-over plugin or jumplists, I mean something that will literally put the text of whatever's playing into my taskbar, preferably next to the system tray. I have a lot of unused space there since I have the icons-only grouping. In XP you could use random programs like TrueLaunchBar and probably other hacks, but googling only gets me the aforementioned foobar plugins.

Another idea: Maybe making only the foobar icon show application title text? Dunno if this is possible.

HyperGlitter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 21, 2009

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm having some trouble with my mouse scroll wheel working under some games and apps, I have W7 Professional 32bits and a Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 using the most recent drivers from Microsoft, the problem is that it works perfectly fine in Windows Explorer, Word, Outlook, VLC and in all browsers, but in some games (Dragon Age) and in flash videos it doesn't. What could be causing this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My laptop mousepad has been acting erratically since the install as well, though it was fine when I was using the RC. Has me a bit puzzled.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

El Hefe posted:

I'm having some trouble with my mouse scroll wheel working under some games and apps, I have W7 Professional 32bits and a Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 using the most recent drivers from Microsoft, the problem is that it works perfectly fine in Windows Explorer, Word, Outlook, VLC and in all browsers, but in some games (Dragon Age) and in flash videos it doesn't. What could be causing this?

my logitech mouse *refuses* to work properly without the setpoint program running (it doesn't open on startup), including keybindings and the scrollwheel, which I use with katmouse, etc.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
Upgraded to Home Premium from the It's Not Cheating campaign they're running. Downloaded the ISO and used the USB Boot Install program they released as open source after that little fiasco. Went very smoothly and much quicker than I expected.

My touchpad has been working fine after a driver update, but my external mouse lagged up until a couple of restarts. Not substantial enough to ruin the experience, but it was definitely there.

Other than that, loving the 'superbar' and general quickness.

evale fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 21, 2009

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Kuroneko posted:

Well, I solved my issue by bothering a friend who still has his MSDN account to provide me with a fresh copy of the ISO. It was a different size, 3.0GB vs 2.75GB, but after burning it it installed flawlessly with no issues. I'm just gonna guess that the ISO I downloaded was incomplete or corrupted in some manner which is odd since it passed the verification check at the end. Oh well.
Microsoft stealth updated ISO images on MSDN sometime after August release without telling anyone about it. We had same issue when setting up Win7 test environment at work and only found out about it after comparing the SHA1 checksums posted on MSDN. MSDN lists same file date and filename for images but disk images and checksums didn't match initial release files anymore. MSDN downloader always validates images as well, so it definitely wasn't issue of corrupt download either.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

thrawn86 posted:

my logitech mouse *refuses* to work properly without the setpoint program running (it doesn't open on startup), including keybindings and the scrollwheel, which I use with katmouse, etc.

I have SetPoint in my startup folder in the start menu and it starts up fine. However... the sensitivity does not get enabled unless I actually open up the SetPoint application and hit OK. The button bindings are fine either way, however.

Luckily I leave my machine on just about all the time so I only have to do this on full reboots. I've mailed Logitech about the issue and they didn't really have a solution for me (they mostly just tell you to "reboot and see if that fixes the problem" no matter how many times I tell them that rebooting is the only time I SEE the problem).

Optilux
Feb 8, 2004
Gather unto Me, my children...We must all become as Light
I had a newly built i7 system arrive today with a fresh Windows 7 install.

It was very first at first - only annoyance was the scrollwheel didn't work. Had music streaming to my PS3 etc.

Now about six hours in, the scroll wheel does work but explorer folders take forever to populate while this green bar crawls across the top, and videos are too slow to play! Google shows me others have this problem but no obvious solution. What gives?

Only new programs I have installed are the Klite Codec pacm with Media Player Classic, burning software called IMGBurn and AVG free.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Optilux posted:

I had a newly built i7 system arrive today with a fresh Windows 7 install.

It was very first at first - only annoyance was the scrollwheel didn't work. Had music streaming to my PS3 etc.

Now about six hours in, the scroll wheel does work but explorer folders take forever to populate while this green bar crawls across the top, and videos are too slow to play! Google shows me others have this problem but no obvious solution. What gives?

Only new programs I have installed are the Klite Codec pacm with Media Player Classic, burning software called IMGBurn and AVG free.

AVG Free is the culprit, stop using that sack of poo poo. Microsoft Security Essentials will work.

Also, stop using K-Lite, MPC-HC alone will play 99% of it.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
MPC-HC didn't support fancy themes in Vista. So you'd have the theme switch to Vista Basic while it was running. Don't know if that's still the case though, using VLC right now.

But MPC-HC with Real Alt and Quicktime Alt should play almost everything.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

evale posted:

MPC-HC didn't support fancy themes in Vista. So you'd have the theme switch to Vista Basic while it was running. Don't know if that's still the case though, using VLC right now.

But MPC-HC with Real Alt and Quicktime Alt should play almost everything.

Yes it did, you were just using the Overlay renderer. Use the EVR renderer.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
Wow, thanks.

Now I'm confused. Should I go back to MPC or stick with VLC?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

c0burn posted:

Yes it did, you were just using the Overlay renderer. Use the EVR renderer.

Also, whats the best renderer? is it EVR?

Optilux
Feb 8, 2004
Gather unto Me, my children...We must all become as Light

Casao posted:

AVG Free is the culprit, stop using that sack of poo poo. Microsoft Security Essentials will work.

Also, stop using K-Lite, MPC-HC alone will play 99% of it.

Thanks - I got rid of AVG Free and everything is fast again. Phew!

Am slightly sheepish to have had the software running on my old machine for years as it may explain some of the performance issues I simply associated with its age (though in fairness i had it five years so it's a reasonable time to upgrade now)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Optilux posted:

Thanks - I got rid of AVG Free and everything is fast again. Phew!

Am slightly sheepish to have had the software running on my old machine for years as it may explain some of the performance issues I simply associated with its age (though in fairness i had it five years so it's a reasonable time to upgrade now)

AVG has gone to crap recently, and it's particularly bar with Windows 7.

K-Lite is just outdated and bloated, since MPC-HC will do everything.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I've noticed that one of my folders takes forever to sort by age. It's full of some video files but another folder on the same drive that also has video files doesn't take any extra time to sort by date.

It's weird because it'll go in and first look like it's sorting by alpha, and then the green bar will flash and it'll eventually reorganize by date.

Anyone seen anything similar happen? And I'm already using MS Security Essentials.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Casao posted:

AVG has gone to crap recently, and it's particularly bar with Windows 7.

K-Lite is just outdated and bloated, since MPC-HC will do everything.

If you insist on using a codec pack, for using Media Center, as an example. The Shark007 codec pack and it's x64 extension work very nicely for me. Plays everything I've thrown at it.

MSE is pretty good, I don't see much reason to use anything else, my like of Avast aside.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

As above, you can tell it not to store the lists.
Do make sure you've pinned any items you DO want to stay in the jumplist before hitting apply, as it won't give you option when its deselected.

How do I do this? I have no desire to have anything recorded in any jumplist at all. I don't pin anything to my start bar. I'm really, really into minimalism in every aspect of my interface.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
For those of you having problems with folders that are incredibly slow to load or sort by date or filename, etc., the following seemed to work for me. In Explorer, right click on the folder and choose Properties. Then select the "Customize" tab and where it says "What kind of folder do you want" choose Optimize for "General Items" instead of pictures, music, videos, etc. Until I did this, my big pr0n folders were killing Windows 7.

If that doesn't work you might also consider disabling indexing on big folders that you won't need to search.

FWIW I'm also using AVG Free and it doesn't seem to be hurting my performance very much, YMMV.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 22, 2009

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Revenge is a dish best served Khold
Is there a hotfix backup remover for Windows 7? What I am talking about is a tool like the one available at this site:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

but for Windows 7? It is possible that program will work for Windows 7 but I am almost afraid to use it and accidentally break something.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Has anyone else experienced kernel power problems with windows 7?

I've had no problems with it but one of my friends has had a nightmare with constant crashes with that issue and last month I installed it on my parents laptop and it crashed three times in the first week with the same error. I've checked and re-checked and it's not a hardware problem, it's run vista fine for years and after the last crash I reinstalled that and it's working fine again. I've spent the morning googling and there are absolutely loads of people complaining about it but nobody has a solution. A lot of people seem to think it's an overheating problem as apparently "windows runs hotter than other OS" which I have no idea is even true or not.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lot 49 posted:

Has anyone else experienced kernel power problems with windows 7?

I've had no problems with it but one of my friends has had a nightmare with constant crashes with that issue and last month I installed it on my parents laptop and it crashed three times in the first week with the same error. I've checked and re-checked and it's not a hardware problem, it's run vista fine for years and after the last crash I reinstalled that and it's working fine again. I've spent the morning googling and there are absolutely loads of people complaining about it but nobody has a solution. A lot of people seem to think it's an overheating problem as apparently "windows runs hotter than other OS" which I have no idea is even true or not.

It's not, people are morons.

Which error are you getting? I was getting Kernel-Power errors in system log that happened when my system completely suht off and back on immediately. I believe it was my power supply (though it stopped before I replaced my PSU so I can't say for sure).

Windows 7 has more power control and better functionality in general for cooling, btw.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Don't have any logs or anything but my parent's laptop would just BSOD randomly and then needed to be powered down and you could boot into safe mode, the event id was 41. Friend's is the the same but it seems to be happening to him a lot more reguarly which I suppose is just an effect of him using his computer a lot more than my folks. It's very frustrating because I can find so many people talking about the problem but there is absolutely no consensus on what's causing it, let alone how to fix it. Every thread is just:

1. Poster 1: Kernel power failure, event id 41, here is the log.
2. Posters 2-5: yeah that is happening to me to.
3. Poster 6: Have you tried this? <long, complicated solution>
4. Posters 1-5: Omg thank you this totally works.

A few days later.

5. Posters 1-5: Oh no wait it's still crashing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lot 49 posted:

Don't have any logs or anything but my parent's laptop would just BSOD randomly and then needed to be powered down and you could boot into safe mode, the event id was 41. Friend's is the the same but it seems to be happening to him a lot more reguarly which I suppose is just an effect of him using his computer a lot more than my folks. It's very frustrating because I can find so many people talking about the problem but there is absolutely no consensus on what's causing it, let alone how to fix it. Every thread is just:

1. Poster 1: Kernel power failure, event id 41, here is the log.
2. Posters 2-5: yeah that is happening to me to.
3. Poster 6: Have you tried this? <long, complicated solution>
4. Posters 1-5: Omg thank you this totally works.

A few days later.

5. Posters 1-5: Oh no wait it's still crashing.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like my case, there was no BSOD or hangups, just stopped working. Sorry, dunno how to help beside testing new PSU or messing with BIOS/Windows power saving settings.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Has anyone found an alternative to the awesome Windows Calendar that was included in Vista? Sunbird just isn't for me, and I'd make do with Windows Live Mail which has a nearly identical calendar if I could cut out the Outlook aspect and just see my calendar when started.

Hell I'd even go with a hacked portable exe of Windows Calendar from Vista.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

revolther posted:

You can do this.

http://wincal.blogspot.com/

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Biodome posted:

Also, whats the best renderer? is it EVR?
Haali Video Renderer is usually the best if you have a video card that supports it, and EVR Custom is the least bad of the rest if you don't.

revolther
May 27, 2008

c0burn posted:

You can do this.

http://wincal.blogspot.com/
Thank you, all my googling resulted in a bunch of shareware apps and very little useful information. Who says blogs are worthless.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

revolther posted:

Has anyone found an alternative to the awesome Windows Calendar that was included in Vista? Sunbird just isn't for me, and I'd make do with Windows Live Mail which has a nearly identical calendar if I could cut out the Outlook aspect and just see my calendar when started.

What's wrong with Sunbird?

It supports the open CalDAV standard, allowing you to sync with Google Calendar and other CalDAV services (Zimbra, etc).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Plorkyeran posted:

Haali Video Renderer is usually the best if you have a video card that supports it, and EVR Custom is the least bad of the rest if you don't.

I don't think so. EVR is the best renderer and Haali is old news and not hardware accelerated while EVR is.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

redeyes posted:

I don't think so. EVR is the best renderer and Haali is old news and not hardware accelerated while EVR is.
Being newer does not magically make something better.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Besides hardware acceleration, what is the difference between Haali and EVR that would make one superior over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Seconding this question, because if there's actually a good enough reason to give up hardware acceleration, I'd like to know it.