Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Eddain posted:

Digital River has been dropping every connection attempt for the past 12 hours now.

Is it against the rules to post up the MSDN downloader? It's basically an exe that downloads the ISO from MSDN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Just upgraded from XP 32-bit to 7 64-bit and I'm really liking it so far, except for one problem. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox (3.5.7) and occasionally when I'm browsing Firefox just decides to take a poo poo and stop responding, requiring me to go into task manager and kill the process.

I did a google search and saw that some people were having similar problems caused by incorrect network adapter drivers. I checked mine(Intel 82566MM), and they are the most current version, leaving me wondering if there's another solution.

e: just did it again a second ago. like Grawl said it's not that big of a deal, but is still annoying

Laminator fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 11, 2010

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Laminator posted:

Just upgraded from XP 32-bit to 7 64-bit and I'm really liking it so far, except for one problem. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox (3.5.7) and occasionally when I'm browsing Firefox just decides to take a poo poo and stop responding, requiring me to go into task manager and kill the process.

I did a google search and saw that some people were having similar problems caused by incorrect network adapter drivers. I checked mine(Intel 82566MM), and they are the most current version, leaving me wondering if there's another solution.

It's not a big deal, but I have the same problem. Sometimes FireFox uses 25% of my CPU resources (I guess it's using one out of four) and it either comes to a crawl or just stop responding. Googling for stuff didn't come up with anything. This started happening when I switched to 7 64-bit as well.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Laminator posted:

e: just did it again a second ago. like Grawl said it's not that big of a deal, but is still annoying

I had a situation last night where Windows 7 would completely lock down 5 minutes after logging in. The last thing I did on the system was download some addon-ons for Firefox. Even after going back to a previous restore it kept locking up, and Mozilla Firefox was still listed as an installed program, but I was not able to Uninstall it (either using the Programs feature of the Control Panel or CrapCleaner).

Ended up formatting my Windows partition again and installing everything one by one. So far Firefox hasn't locked up yet.

My problem was slightly different, though. Firefox would lock up but I wouldn't even be able to open Task Manager to kill the process. Once Firefox locked up Explorer would lock up too.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Does anyone know why I can't get thumbnails (for videos) to display in explorer? All I get is an icon with the icon of the media player associated with that file on it. I have tried toggling icon versus thumbnail in the Folder View options but that hasn't worked. This is on 64 bit.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

nemotrm posted:

Does anyone know why I can't get thumbnails (for videos) to display in explorer? All I get is an icon with the icon of the media player associated with that file on it. I have tried toggling icon versus thumbnail in the Folder View options but that hasn't worked. This is on 64 bit.

On the right where you can change the View (icon, detailed, list, etc), did you try setting it as Large Icon?

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Eddain posted:

On the right where you can change the View (icon, detailed, list, etc), did you try setting it as Large Icon?

Yep. It seems to display them after I manually add the to WMP Library and then open the library. It is almost as if the thumbnails associated with the videos got deleted and they aren't being recreated.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
I have an extra internal hard drive that I keep all my media on.

When I open it and try to edit folder names on the HD it will let me rename 1 folder and after that it says all the folders are in use by another program. Everything else is closed and this happens even right after bootup. If I close it and wait 5 minutes or something I can open up the drive again and change 1 name before it says everything is in use again.

I've tried editing folders from the Libraries I have setup as well, and I get the same problem. I'm on a network with my roommate, but even when his computer is off I get the same problem.

Anyone experienced this? It's driving me crazy because I have 500 gigs of stuff I want to organize but can't.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

fredor posted:

I have an extra internal hard drive that I keep all my media on.

When I open it and try to edit folder names on the HD it will let me rename 1 folder and after that it says all the folders are in use by another program. Everything else is closed and this happens even right after bootup. If I close it and wait 5 minutes or something I can open up the drive again and change 1 name before it says everything is in use again.

Is there any drive activity (open resmon to see this)? Perhaps it's creating thumbnails?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grawl posted:

It's not a big deal, but I have the same problem. Sometimes FireFox uses 25% of my CPU resources (I guess it's using one out of four) and it either comes to a crawl or just stop responding. Googling for stuff didn't come up with anything. This started happening when I switched to 7 64-bit as well.

I run the 3.6 beta and it works pretty well in 7 64-bit.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Welp, Firefox froze twice in the past 10 minutes, once in the middle of an on-line job application. I just got 3.6 beta, hopefully it works. Sadly GMail Manager doesn't currently work D:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Has anyone noticed constant noise coming from their new Windows 7 computer? Back when I had XP my computer was largely quiet during nights but after leaving my Windows 7 computer on overnight for the first time the noise was bothering me.

It sounded like the hard drive was constantly being accessed/read, but the only thing I had running was uTorrent (which I did often with XP). There's no squealing, screeching, crashing noises usually associated with dying hard drives. Just standard read noises, but it happens near constantly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You just installed Windows 7, so it's doing the initial indexing. Once it finishes, you wont be hearing it all night.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A piece of software (torchlight trainer) needs the v3.5 .net framework, but I can't seem to find it. What do I do? (w7 RC 7100)

Eddain
May 6, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A piece of software (torchlight trainer) needs the v3.5 .net framework, but I can't seem to find it. What do I do? (w7 RC 7100)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dotnet_framework_3/

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003
rm -rf /bin/laden error: /bin/laden not found

Eddain posted:

It sounded like the hard drive was constantly being accessed/read

Vista/7 will defragment the disk automatically when the computer is idle.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

/bin/laden posted:

Vista/7 will defragment the disk automatically when the computer is idle.
Actually the default is I believe every Wednesday at about 2 a.m.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

quote:

Wow, really? First of all, Windows 7 ships with .Net 3.5, and I think this was true for the RC as well. Second, a why go to a shareware site when you could get it directly from the source? (http://microsoft.com/net and click the button that says "Download"). Third, you couldn't find the .Net framework yourself? It's literally the very first hit on google.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I notice quite a bit more random hard drive noise/activity in Win7 than I did in XP. It seems like 7 is constantly doing drive access in little bursts. However, my XP system had really loud fans that would have drowned out most drive noise, where my Windows 7 PC is almost silent (except for hard drive noise).

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
You can check disk activity in resource monitor. Could be the indexer?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I had a strange issue with my fonts. I grabbed a pdf from http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=441 (for example http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/beginnertriathlete.com/Beginner%20IM%20Plan/pdf/Week20.pdf) and when I tried to read it Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat both told me it couldn't find the Times-Roman font. I installed the Times New Roman fonts that came with Windows XP and they opened up perfectly. Can someone else try to open that pdf and see if it works? Seems bizarre.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Sad Panda posted:

Can someone else try to open that pdf and see if it works? Seems bizarre.

I got the same message from Adobe Reader 9.2. Times New Roman is installed and displays correctly in other apps.

e: Google Docs renders the PDF just fine.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Eikre posted:

So can you still do that whole logon-background-replacement deal that got a great amount of press back in the release candidate phase? I can't get it to work.

I know c0burn linked to an app for this, but you can also do it via a registry change.

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

iKickDogs posted:

e: Google Docs renders the PDF just fine.

So does Foxit Reader.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

madlobster posted:

So does Foxit Reader.

So does SumatraPDF

(much better than FoxIt Reader IMO, since FoxIt has started to adopt all the things that made Adobe so annoying)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Factor Mystic posted:

Wow, really? First of all, Windows 7 ships with .Net 3.5, and I think this was true for the RC as well. Second, a why go to a shareware site when you could get it directly from the source? (http://microsoft.com/net and click the button that says "Download"). Third, you couldn't find the .Net framework yourself? It's literally the very first hit on google.

I was going to post the same thing actually.

What happens when you try to run it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to install 7 from a bootdisk and the first time I tried to install it spent two hours on 34% for the "expanding files" stage. I canceled out and tried again and now it says the boot manager is missing, so it won't install. Any ideas? This is regardless of whether there is a disk in the drive or not, it won't read either my vista instillation CD or my 7 cd. Restarting doesn't seem to change anything and There doesn't seem to be any response to any other prompts.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 12, 2010

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Uh, do me a favor, go into your BIOS and make sure the DVD or CD drive is the first and active boot device. Also, strange as it sounds, deactivate anything relating to floppy disks. Make sure no FDDs are in the boot cue and turn off the controller.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eikre posted:

Uh, do me a favor, go into your BIOS and make sure the DVD or CD drive is the first and active boot device. Also, strange as it sounds, deactivate anything relating to floppy disks. Make sure no FDDs are in the boot cue and turn off the controller.

That's going to be a while, because for some reason my mobo refuses to recognize my keyboard (other non-usb keyboards work fine) and I don't have a spare. When I remove my hard drive I lose the problem (but obviously I can't install) so I think it is at least part boot priority.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

The first thing I did was go to exactly that link and click download, and then I noticed:

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP

If I can just download it and use it anyways, then thats fine by me, but I wasn't sure if w7 changed the way .net worked or what, since it wasn't listed in the supported OS.

Xenomorph posted:

I was going to post the same thing actually.

What happens when you try to run it?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
That's a bug in the application, buddy, not an announcement you don't have the framework.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What made you think that meant you needed to get the framework?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AAAAAAAARGH nobody has PS2 keyboard converters, I tried four stores At this point I would buy a cheap keyboard that had one because all I have to do is press any key to reinstall my motherboard's drivers. None of my friends have converters either because they got phased out years ago. God drat this is so frustrating. The best part is I know PS2 keyboards work because I've done it before.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
USB -> PS/2 converters only work if the USB keyboard in question has a PS/2 mode. They don't have active conversion of signals for the most part.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Shouldn't a cheap PS2 keyboard be, like, 10 bucks at most? And then you'll have an extra keyboard.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

That's a bug in the application, buddy, not an announcement you don't have the framework.

Oh. I just assumed that since the readme said it needed 3.5, and I don't remember having 3.5, that that would be the next logical thing to inspect. Huh. Ok.

Thanks.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

USB -> PS/2 converters only work if the USB keyboard in question has a PS/2 mode. They don't have active conversion of signals for the most part.

I've never seen a keyboard that didn't do USB -> PS/2. I've bought lovely $10 keyboards from Walmart that came with an adapter.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Hey guys, I have a pretty old and storied PC running XP which I've decided to upgrade to 7 after skipping Vista(gaming, pretty good specs: 4gb RAM, 3ghz Intel E6850, 64bit, NVIDIA 8600). It has huge amounts of stuff I would hate to lose and its pretty impossible for me to backup the like 500gb of poo poo I can't/don't want to lose.

I'm in Australia, home of slow internet, so it would be better if I didn't have to redownload the 50gb of games I have on there, also. I also have a faulty graphics card/power supply: I cannot turn the computer off. If I do this without installing a copy of the NVIDIA drivers, the graphics card boots into 8bit colour, and I have to install the drivers and reboot.

Is it feasible to do this semi-seamlessly, or am I running a one man pipe-dream (show?)?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I don't really have a clue what you're trying to ask. First you mention 500GB of data, then 50GB. You then mention you can't turn the computer off because for some reason it'd reset your drivers because of faulty hardware. I don't really see the link there.

If it's any comfort for you, I've been running Windows 7 64-bit for a few months now, and it doesn't require to reboot when installing graphic drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
I have around 500gb of data, mostly important. I also have 50gb of Steam games and don't want to download those again. The fault is seperate.

:S