Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Well put. The days of "LOL SKULL & X-BONES, YOU HAVE A VIRUS HA HA HA" are over. Its about stealing information silently. I doubt a machine infected with a bunch of modern "viruses" would even slow down that much - that symptom is almost a thing of the past. Like lazer_chicken said, drive-by exploits are the choice attack nowadays, not installable "run-in-the-taskbar" viruses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Sir Funkenstein posted:

I recently had my power supply fry my motherboard and after installing a new power supply and motherboard, I was required to re-activate windows 7. When I went to re-activate online I got the error: 0xC004C008 The activation server determined that the specified key could not be used.

I then tried the activation by phone, read out all the keys in the installation ID and then was asked how many computers this product was installed on, I said 3 (I got the 3 pack upgrade, and all 3 are being used). The phone system then said that I didn't meet some conditions or something and then was told to stay on the line to speak to a customer support representative, but when I stay on the line, they just say we're sorry we can't help you and disconnect.

Is there a way I can talk to a support representative about my activation or some other method I can activate by? I'm in Canada if that means anything

Just like if you always say "YES" if a creature asks you if you "are a god", you should always say "ZERO" when the machine asks you how many times you've installed Windows with the key.

It will activate it for you just fine if you tell it Zero.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Xenomorph posted:

Just like if you always say "YES" if a creature asks you if you "are a god", you should always say "ZERO" when the machine asks you how many times you've installed Windows with the key.

It will activate it for you just fine if you tell it Zero.

Of course Ive tried with saying 0, it says the same thing

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Sir Funkenstein posted:

Of course Ive tried with saying 0, it says the same thing

Try saying 1.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

Microsoft doesn't write operating systems for Mr. Overconfident Power User, they write them for Mr. Clicks Pop-Up Ads and Mr. Never Installs Updates. The vast majority of users need the OS to tell them "WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO IS A HORRIBLE IDEA."

If I was a power user, I wouldn't have hosed this up in the first place. :) "Overconfident"? Maybe, but it wasn't like I was loving around with the registry or actively disabling stuff. I just wanted to save files in a folder of my choice.

quote:

Also, it's folly to think that because you've "never had an issue" in the past decade, that's somehow proof that you won't in the future.

I don't think I implied that and I certainly didn't mean to if I did. I do my updates, use anti-virus, and run anti-malware software regularly.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

madlobster posted:

Try saying 1.

I've tried saying every number.

That's not the problem.

I asked for help talking to a customer service person or someway to tell them why I need to activate again so they will activate my machine. The automatic phone system just drops my call after it says it cant be activated.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sir Funkenstein posted:

That's not the problem.

I asked for help talking to a customer service person or someway to tell them why I need to activate again so they will activate my machine. The automatic phone system just drops my call after it says it cant be activated.

Do what I do: Talk like Hellen Keller. The computer will say something about not being able to understand you and connect you to a CSR.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

Do what I do: Talk like Hellen Keller. The computer will say something about not being able to understand you and connect you to a CSR.

Thanks, this worked

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sir Funkenstein posted:

Thanks, this worked

I love computers, but sometimes, seriously, gently caress computers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lazer_chicken posted:

^^ this

Microsoft doesn't write operating systems for Mr. Overconfident Power User, they write them for Mr. Clicks Pop-Up Ads and Mr. Never Installs Updates. The vast majority of users need the OS to tell them "WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO IS A HORRIBLE IDEA."

Also, it's folly to think that because you've "never had an issue" in the past decade, that's somehow proof that you won't in the future. Most malware these days doesn't come from stupid email attachments or something obvious like that; it comes from drive-by exploits using javascript, flash, and acrobat where you're none the wiser that it was ever there (and they are often from legitimate websites as well). One of these days you'll come across one and you'll be glad when proper user controls stop it.

Also, most viruses and rootkits do not advertise their presence. Unless you were actively scanning for them, it's entirely possible you've had them on your system all these years anyway. I'm not talking about you here, but I have friends who do not use any antivirus protection and claim that they've "never had a virus," but without an antivirus how would they ever know?

People keep expecting the viruses of old that were just a "gently caress you, goatse, format c:\" from some script kiddy, not the stealthy trojans and botnets that use your processing time and bandwidth for nefarious means. I think most of the evidence we see of viral activity today is probably incompatibility from the trojan suites OR your antivirus and firewall trying to control an infection. When your system settles down it's probably because the malware silenced your security software, unless said software identified and quarantined the offending code, in which case you should have a log of the attempted attack. My money would be on a successful root though. :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why is the itunes icon sticking around in the taskbar even when itunes is actually open?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Funkenstein posted:

I bet that took a long time.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

change my name posted:

Why is the itunes icon sticking around in the taskbar even when itunes is actually open?

Right click, then right click on "iTunes" and select properties, then do the same on the other one and see what the difference between the shortcuts is.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fuschia tude posted:

I always have my power button put my desktop to sleep. There's not much point to actually shutting down except to install updates, is there?
Unfortunately sleep mode only worked once or twice on this retail install and just blue-screens every time now. The RC was never able to sleep for me. It's confusing, because it worked perfectly in Vista.

I wasn't able to track anything specific down with the error code before, but I suppose it's worth trying again.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Swilo posted:

What's your router's DHCP range? You shouldn't be trying to force IPs from within that, most start at 50 or 100 and run at least 50 above.

The router is setup to give out .100 to .108. I ended up just leaving my computer at .107 and modifying my port forwarding on the router to send stuff to .107.

Funny thing, I just reinstalled Win7 tonight on my new SSD and the first thing I did was check my IP... 192.168.1.107. I dunno what it is but my computer likes that one :D

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis
I'm thinking of buying this for my new system. Is there any way to still get it for free, or for $30 with a working .edu? Or are all those deals expired?

I'd rather not spend $100+ if I can help it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Working .edu is $65 now: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Number_6 posted:

But I've had problems with games that use manually-edited config files or saved games in "Program Files" subdirectories.
That's what compatibility modes are for. If the app tries to write to it's own directory (which it really shouldn't), the write will get redirected to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

tropical posted:

The router is setup to give out .100 to .108. I ended up just leaving my computer at .107 and modifying my port forwarding on the router to send stuff to .107.

Funny thing, I just reinstalled Win7 tonight on my new SSD and the first thing I did was check my IP... 192.168.1.107. I dunno what it is but my computer likes that one :D

Pretty sure your router is assigning IPs based on the MAC address of your NIC..?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can someone recommend a good RSS desktop gadget? I use google reader so tying into that would be nice.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

change my name posted:

The first iTunes is actually just a shortcut, and when Windows sees when a shortcut launches an application that has support for jumplists and such, it puts a second icon in the taskbar to accommodate the jumplists features. So all you should have to do is unpin the first shortcut and then pin the one that is created.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I recently installed Ultimate 64 bit on a Athlon II 630 on a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with 4gb of memory. Runs circles around my old Opteron 175, but one thing is bugging me about this system which is it takes almost a minute and a half to boot. I've disabled esata, raid, serial ports, usb 3 and haven't gained a second. Is this just a byproduct of x64, or am I just missing something else I can tweak to get this quicker?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Ryokurin posted:

I recently installed Ultimate 64 bit on a Athlon II 630 on a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with 4gb of memory. Runs circles around my old Opteron 175, but one thing is bugging me about this system which is it takes almost a minute and a half to boot. I've disabled esata, raid, serial ports, usb 3 and haven't gained a second. Is this just a byproduct of x64, or am I just missing something else I can tweak to get this quicker?

I think you have a problem. I'm running Home Premium 64, and it takes about 5 seconds for my rig to go through the BIOS stuff, then 18 seconds to load Win7 to the account login prompt, then another ~4-5 seconds to load the desktop with everything responding and usable. I have an i7-860 CPU, 4 gig RAM, and a fairly ordinary Western Digital 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive that's not even running in AHCI mode.

Actually, AHCI may be an issue for you, I've heard some systems take a long time to boot in AHCI mode. Also, you aren't using a solid-color desktop are you? There's a Win7 bug with solid-color desktops that slows down bootup.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Stupid question that's probably already been answered:

I bought an OEM version of Home 64. If my motherboard decides to take a big corny poo poo all over itself, am I hosed license-wise?
Googling seems to say that I can just replace the board with an identical model and everything is chill. What if I decide to upgrade?

edit: How much of the system can be replaced before I can't use my (h)OEM 7?

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 17, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Microsoft will usually transfer the license with a phone call. They're really only concerned that it's installed on one machine at a time.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Yep. It was ACPI. Disabled it and it's booting in 20 seconds. Thanks!

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

strwrsxprt posted:

Microsoft will usually transfer the license with a phone call. They're really only concerned that it's installed on one machine at a time.
Tits, thanks. :)
I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, but it's nice to know I'm not boned if I decide to.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well they could always change their mind and start enforcing their EULA more aggressively, but I doubt they will.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
So I finally caved in and moved on from XP Pro to Windows 7. So far, I'm liking it quite a bit.

One question though: The default font is really bugging me as it seems to have some minor pixel issues on my LCD. Is there any way to change it back to Tahoma or another font that doesn't require ClearType? I tried running the ClearType calibration tool, but none of the options gave me just a simple font that doesn't mess with nearby pixels.

Or am I just being anal?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Theli posted:

So I finally caved in and moved on from XP Pro to Windows 7. So far, I'm liking it quite a bit.

One question though: The default font is really bugging me as it seems to have some minor pixel issues on my LCD. Is there any way to change it back to Tahoma or another font that doesn't require ClearType? I tried running the ClearType calibration tool, but none of the options gave me just a simple font that doesn't mess with nearby pixels.

Or am I just being anal?

I would just set it to Standard Tuning. You do have the display on its native resolution, right?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Theli posted:

Or am I just being anal?

Quite possibly. Many people who haven't used Cleartype before see it as 'out of focus' or slightly blurry until they get used to it, but I've now been using it for so long that turning it off makes everything look hideous to me. Also "messing with nearby pixels" is exactly what Cleartype (and indeed any antialiasing technology) is supposed to do, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at.

edit:
Also, what Bangers said. If you're not running at native it's going to look awful.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

rolleyes posted:

Also, what Bangers said. If you're not running at native it's going to look awful.

Also, if its a higher resolution LCD but you're using analog for the display signal, the pixel alignment being off can make it look lovely. A better cable or using digital signaling can help.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe

rolleyes posted:

Quite possibly. Many people who haven't used Cleartype before see it as 'out of focus' or slightly blurry until they get used to it, but I've now been using it for so long that turning it off makes everything look hideous to me. Also "messing with nearby pixels" is exactly what Cleartype (and indeed any antialiasing technology) is supposed to do, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at.

edit:

It's definitely an antialiasing issue.

I guess I'm just not used to ClearType; in XP the default font (Tahoma) never needed antialiasing because it was a single pixel width.

It's a minor complaint, really. I'm already starting to get used to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Theli posted:

I guess I'm just not used to ClearType; in XP the default font (Tahoma) never needed antialiasing because it was a single pixel width.

What about the parts of letters that aren't horizontal or vertical lines?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Theli posted:

It's definitely an antialiasing issue.

It's a minor complaint, really. I'm already starting to get used to it.

You can set it to Tahoma for most parts of the UI through Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization > Window Color and Appearance > Advanced Appearance Settings. From there you can change the font for each entry one by one.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Looks like the Windows 7 system requirements just dropped a little.

Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware VT:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Midmarket/Microsofts-Windows-XP-Mode-Needs-No-Virtualization-Hardware-745978/

Download the latest (March 18th?) build of XP Mode / Virtual PC to finally get rid of their artificial requirement.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Xenomorph posted:

Looks like the Windows 7 system requirements just dropped a little.

Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware VT:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Midmarket/Microsofts-Windows-XP-Mode-Needs-No-Virtualization-Hardware-745978/

Download the latest (March 18th?) build of XP Mode / Virtual PC to finally get rid of their artificial requirement.

I don't see how it's artificial. Doesn't this mean it would be slower?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

c0burn posted:

Possibly slower. Maybe. Maybe not. A faster CPU would make a much bigger difference.

I run virtualization software on a lot of systems. Most do NOT have any kind of virtualization hardware. On the systems that do have it, I couldn't honestly say if it makes any difference.

What I do know is that my slower CPUs with VT do a shittier job of running a VM than one of my speedier CPUs without any VT.

I call it an "artificial requirement" because that is a perfect way of describing it.

You never needed any special "virtualization hardware" to run a virtual machine in the past, or even now with competing products. But Microsoft decided to make it a requirement for some reason. It wouldn't just run at a "possibly lower speed", it simply refused to work at all.

It's is a good move to drop the requirement. The article points out that it helps business from a money standpoint.
They either have plenty of speedy systems that can handle Windows 7, or they already bought an assload of new 64-bit Dual-Core or Quad-Core monster systems with shitload of RAM - that all lack any VT hardware.

Intel shipped millions of CPUs where VT was disabled by them on purpose. A stupid move on Intel's part (they did that to force people to buy a higher-end CPU in whatever product line they were looking at if they wanted to use something like XP Mode). Intel has tried to correct their mistake by going back and re-enabling VT in CPU lines that previously didn't have it, and Microsoft is doing their part by removing their artificial requirement.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

c0burn posted:

The article says it will still use hardware VT if present, but it's no longer required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

c0burn posted:

Yeah, VT makes it a lot better. It makes my Core Duo 1.8 ghz perform better at virtualization than most non-VT 2.0 ghz and up Core 2 Duos.