Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thanks on the audio stuff, about the voip and such.

Lower pricing on 7 seems like a great idea to me. Most people don't bother to upgrade because OS' are so much, and if yours is working, why bother? But at $50 or $100, thats way more reasonable, for what is inarguably better than XP, which many are using. I'm excited about actually being able to afford it when it comes out.

What type of feature differences are we looking at between 7 ultimate, and say home premium? And professional premium? Is it anything a standard user is going to care about?

The OP has the general differences, but I don't think ultimate has anything compelling your average user would miss with even home premium. I do think pro would be more worth it though since its apparently the 'lowest' version to support the XP mode virtual machine thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

hobb posted:

The OP has the general differences, but I don't think ultimate has anything compelling your average user would miss with even home premium. I do think pro would be more worth it though since its apparently the 'lowest' version to support the XP mode virtual machine thing.

Sorry I missed the differences in the OP.

It seems like home premium would really be fine for me. I have no need for the XP VM. I guess I would have to see a list of all the fine details before I made a decision. But $50 for home premium would be absolutely fine with me, and would be the first OS I would be willing to buy off the shelf at launch.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Has anyone heard of problems with Digsby under Windows 7? Friend of mine is running it, it shows a spinning hourglass but the process never runs. Admin mode and Vista compatability both fail. I'm running it without issue, so I'm wondering if someone's hit this and knows the problem.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Works fine for me in the x64 RC of Windows 7.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Sorry I missed the differences in the OP.

It seems like home premium would really be fine for me. I have no need for the XP VM. I guess I would have to see a list of all the fine details before I made a decision. But $50 for home premium would be absolutely fine with me, and would be the first OS I would be willing to buy off the shelf at launch.

Here's a nifty side-by-side chart comparing each version. Unless you desperately need XP mode for old business (read: non-intensive software) or need to make your computer a remote host to another computer, Home Premium is the one to get.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Here's a nifty side-by-side chart comparing each version. Unless you desperately need XP mode for old business (read: non-intensive software) or need to make your computer a remote host to another computer, Home Premium is the one to get.

Ok, after looking at that, I think home premium is fine for me. Unless you're hardcore networking/running a business, home seems like it's more than satisfactory. Or if you have more than 16gb of ram, I guess.

I'm pretty psyched about HP potentially only being $50. I was certain I was going to have to go back to vista in march because I didn't think I would have $300 for a new OS, but $50 is just so reasonable.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Charles Martel posted:

WELL then. Yeah, I have trouble seeing even an SHSC regular having trouble with Home Premium on their own computer, though I suspect that returning to reghacks after XP and 7's policy editor (and maybe Vista's) will be a bit of a pain.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I've been looking for that program (I believe it's called BootIt) for ages now, but every link to it is either dead or throws off an alarm in Avast for it being a possible trojan.

Do you still have the file? Could you throw it up in rapidshare or something?

You're in luck, it managed to survive all the OS reinstalls and general fuckery that I've been doing on my laptop. It's in a file called lexar_usb_format.zip and I have no idea why, the exe is still BootIt.exe

lexar_usb_format.zip

My own hosting, but I have 1TB of bandwidth left.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

WELL then. Yeah, I have trouble seeing even an SHSC regular having trouble with Home Premium on their own computer, though I suspect that returning to reghacks after XP and 7's policy editor (and maybe Vista's) will be a bit of a pain.
Looks like none of the Home versions support remote desktop. Almost everyone I know likes to remote into their PCs from work or from a laptop at home.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

xamphear posted:

Looks like none of the Home versions support remote desktop. Almost everyone I know likes to remote into their PCs from work or from a laptop at home.

This is basically why I will definitely be getting pro. Also because that's the only version school gives out for free.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Charles Martel posted:

XP mode for old dumb business software only

This really cannot be stressed enough and should go in the OP.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Factor Mystic posted:

Yeah, I had it in my head that I could utilize it for games until I remembered that I have yet to stumble upon an old(er) PC game I want to play you can't somehow get working natively in Vista (using compatibility modes sometimes) or DOSBox (for DOS games, obviously).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fancy_Lad posted:

This keeps coming up - any chance we can get it in the OP?

Done.

Factor Mystic posted:

It already was, but I've re-worded it and stuck it in a better place.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

xamphear posted:

Live Mesh is a much nicer version of Remote Desktop.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Factor Mystic posted:

Well it is also great for the odd old piece of hardware that you might run across on occasion that doesn't have new drivers. This has been a big help for me a few times already such as when I sell old poo poo on ebay and need to make sure it works or if a friend wants to connect his old cell to my computer.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
I know nobody had details yet, but maybe this is an easy question. I hope to buy the upgrade version of W7, but I know that a wipe and reinstall from an upgrade disc requires a full version disc of XP or Vista. I have a full version license of Vista, but Lenovo didn't see fit to send me an actual DVD. I've reinstalled before using a downloaded DVD and the key that came with my laptop. Will I have to reinstall Vista before I can install the W7 upgrade so that I can prove I own a full copy?

Guntrip
Mar 14, 2006
Has anyone had any trouble with Windows Media Player adding duplicate entries?

I removed all the folders in the WMP Libraries tab except my music folder. It would search and add files fine, but then a while later (last time it was a day later), it would start searching again and add a duplicate for every song (I enabled the file path column to the library view and it sees them as the same location, same file too).

I've tried deleting %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player to remove the library, and letting it re-create it from scratch but it still happens.

Anybody have any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong? I'm running build 7100 32-bit (not having the same issue on another machine, running 7100 64-bit, but I don't really want to upgrade this one just yet).

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

ElProducto posted:

I know nobody had details yet, but maybe this is an easy question. I hope to buy the upgrade version of W7, but I know that a wipe and reinstall from an upgrade disc requires a full version disc of XP or Vista. I have a full version license of Vista, but Lenovo didn't see fit to send me an actual DVD. I've reinstalled before using a downloaded DVD and the key that came with my laptop. Will I have to reinstall Vista before I can install the W7 upgrade so that I can prove I own a full copy?

If you have a working copy of Vista or XP on the machine, that should be all it needs.

Edit: Assuming that it works like Vista, since it hasn't come out yet.

Plan B
Oct 5, 2002

KITTEN!
Does anyone know how I can set up an old-fashioned SMB share? I can't get my Xbox with XBMC to see any shared folders on my PC. Pointing the Xbox to smb://JEFF-PC/ gets a "connection refused", so clearly SMB sharing isn't enabled.

I've done right click > Share with > Specific people... > Everyone, and Windows claims the folder is shared. I'm out of ideas.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Plan B posted:

Does anyone know how I can set up an old-fashioned SMB share? I can't get my Xbox with XBMC to see any shared folders on my PC. Pointing the Xbox to smb://JEFF-PC/ gets a "connection refused", so clearly SMB sharing isn't enabled.

I've done right click > Share with > Specific people... > Everyone, and Windows claims the folder is shared. I'm out of ideas.

Default policy is that shares may not work unless you have a user with a password set.

Also, even if the Share gives them permission someplace, the NTFS permission may be denying them access to that place. Deny always overwrites Allow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

Default policy is that shares may not work unless you have a user with a password set.

Also, even if the Share gives them permission someplace, the NTFS permission may be denying them access to that place. Deny always overwrites Allow.
So basically Win7 made it a huge pain in the rear end to share stuff over a network?

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

kapinga posted:

If you have a working copy of Vista or XP on the machine, that should be all it needs.

I know that, but I guess I didn't specify that I already have the RC installed. So I can't just wipe it clean, I have to reinstall Vista and then wipe and install W7.

Plan B
Oct 5, 2002

KITTEN!

Josh Lyman posted:

So basically Win7 made it a huge pain in the rear end to share stuff over a network?

It looks that way. I had to take ownership of the drive, and point the Xbox to a specific folder, smb://jeff-pc/TV for it to work. I'm not sure which one did the trick.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Casao posted:

This is absolutely true for most people. Live mesh is pretty well brilliant and honestly seems to blow stuff like mobile me/.mac/whatever the gently caress that piece of poo poo is called now out of the water.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

ElProducto posted:

I know that, but I guess I didn't specify that I already have the RC installed. So I can't just wipe it clean, I have to reinstall Vista and then wipe and install W7.

I don't think we'll really find out until it's released. Fortunately, people will figure it out pretty quick.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Plan B posted:

I set the media folders as shared obviously.

Then:

Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall
Left hand column, click "advanced firewall settings"
(new window pops up)

In the bottom panel click the "connection rules"
Right click / new rules
(wizard pop up)

Authentication Exemption.
Stick in the xbox IP (set your xbox to have a fixed IP, if you didn't already)

next next next as per what seems obvious, and you're done.

Doing this, then adding a my machine/server as a network location means I can "add source, browse to the machine" then add asfolders the same way as per XP.

Hope that helps

url fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 6, 2009

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unexpected EOF posted:

This is absolutely true for most people. Live mesh is pretty well brilliant and honestly seems to blow stuff like mobile me/.mac/whatever the gently caress that piece of poo poo is called now out of the water.
I just signed in to Mesh and it looks pretty cool. While reading through the Wikipedia entry, I saw stuff like Live Sync and Live SkyDrive. Who knew that you could get 25GB of free online storage just by registering an (email) account? :aaa:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Casao posted:

Not really true, in my opinion. I've used both extensively and for your average home user live mesh has some definite advantages (will route through a firewall easily, no need to remember IPs and ports). Remote desktop however, is definitely my preferred choice due to the fact that it doesn't have to route through the Live Mesh server. When I want to connect to my media center PC from the local network the difference is night and day. It also appears that Live Mesh uses the VNC approach of capturing from the frame buffer rather than the optimized method remote desktop uses which causes it to use much more bandwidth and have terrible performance on slow connections.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ElProducto posted:

There are no guarantees this will work, but it's possible the same trick Vista had will work (upgrading a keyless install). So you still have to do two installations, but installing 7 is drat quick and will probably be less of a pain than Vista-to-7. This all assumes, of course, that Microsoft will keep the Vista upgrade shortcut for Windows 7 (which was an intended feature and not a bug, incidentally).

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Is anybody having problems actually installing? I burned the 64 bit .iso to a disk, booted from the disk and got to the screen with the blue background and white stripe things. After that, it just hung forever, nothing happened. I tried burning other disks, even burning one from a mac.

I have no idea what to do at this point. There's no menus or anything coming up, although I get a mouse cursor and that's it.

Anybody :confused:

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

free bowl of soup posted:

Is anybody having problems actually installing? I burned the 64 bit .iso to a disk, booted from the disk and got to the screen with the blue background and white stripe things. After that, it just hung forever, nothing happened. I tried burning other disks, even burning one from a mac.

I have no idea what to do at this point. There's no menus or anything coming up, although I get a mouse cursor and that's it.

How long is forever?

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

kapinga posted:

How long is forever?
I let it sit once for 15-20 minutes before I gave up.

edit: sometimes you can hear the DVD drive spinning, like its about to do something but it just goes for a few seconds before getting quiet again.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Have you verified the image downloaded correctly?

SHA1:
(x86): 7D1F486CA569EFFFFB719CFB48355BB7BF499712
(x64): FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

kapinga posted:

Have you verified the image downloaded correctly?

SHA1:
(x86): 7D1F486CA569EFFFFB719CFB48355BB7BF499712
(x64): FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874
What do these numbers mean and how do I do whatever I need to do?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

What do these numbers mean and how do I do whatever I need to do?

Download this app: http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/simple-checksum.php and start it. Right click the program's window and set it to SHA1, then, drag the Windows 7 ISO onto it and it will tell you the SHA1 hash. If it matches the number Kapinga gave then your ISO isn't corrupted, if it doesn't the ISO is corrupted.

Hashes are basically a way to take a fingerprint of a file that is much smaller than the file so that you can know if a file is corrupt or not. Changing a single bit in the file will make a wildly different hash result.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Alright, thanks for that program, pretty easy.

The hashes match.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Wow. Just installed the RC to dual boot with Vista. I've never had a Windows install go as flawlessly as this. It's nice to input the product key after the OS is installed. No problems with drivers or anything, and it boots fast. Windows 7 is prettier than Vista and much easier to work with. I've installed Adobe Flash Media Encoder and am running our cam right now. I can see myself buying the real deal as soon as it's released.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

I let it sit once for 15-20 minutes before I gave up.

I tried installing RC1 32 bit on my parents old emachines tower with a 2.2ghz celeron and 1.5gb of ram.
Took 24 hours to install. It kept hanging because the USB ports are busted.

Went back to XP and the machine is good as new.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

I tried installing RC1 32 bit on my parents old emachines tower with a 2.2ghz celeron and 1.5gb of ram.
Took 24 hours to install. It kept hanging because the USB ports are busted.

Went back to XP and the machine is good as new.
Yeah I searched around on google and I saw a few mentions of USB devices making the install hang. I unplugged all of my usb stuff and no luck. I read some other things about video driver version and a million other things so gently caress it I give up. It's an RC anyway so whatever.

edit: I stopped being a pussy and just waited for it to go. It works fine now. Thanks guys!

free bowl of soup fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

I had this happen to me and I have a usb keyboard and mouse if it worth something. Had to let it sit for something like 20 minutes twice during the installation. It's the only thing I dislike about Windows 7 so far.
I'd say let it running a little bit longer...just go take a shower or something meanwhile (that's what I did!).