Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

rolleyes posted:

CoreAVC supports CUDA so actually it'll still be more efficient for the parts which don't run on the graphics card, and I'm willing to bet their graphics-card assisted implementation is better than most.

Depends on the content. Sometimes it's better than DXVA, other times it's not. The only real advantage it has is that sometimes it can accelerate content that's incompatible for DXVA acceleration, but that rarely happens these days now that more people are using truly compliant versions of x264 to encode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I didn't know where else to ask this. Is there a way to force V-Sync? I loaded up Sim City 4 and had some bad Tearing issues, but I can't for the life of me find a way to turn on V-Sync.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I didn't know where else to ask this. Is there a way to force V-Sync? I loaded up Sim City 4 and had some bad Tearing issues, but I can't for the life of me find a way to turn on V-Sync.

Hmm disregard this. It started working on its own, somehow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So.
Service Pack One.
When?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Already leaked, according to the last page.

I'm reluctant to try it, though I'm kinda hoping it will fix the issue where sometimes when I shut down it tries to launch multiple copies of cmd.exe which then fail to start.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
SP1 is likely to be posted on MSDN or TechNet before anywhere else (officially), and it's not either of those places. I've been looking for it for the last week.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

LoKout posted:

SP1 is likely to be posted on MSDN or TechNet before anywhere else (officially), and it's not either of those places. I've been looking for it for the last week.

I eventually installed the currently released version. Nothing has blown up, become non-genuine or grown an evaluation date.

I can't say if it fixed anything, because I wasn't having any problems. If it turns out to be an early or otherwise non-useful release, that's fine, I was planning on a reinstall when I switch to an SSD anyway, so anything that happens is fine by me.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Is it actually adding any new features or is it just one big cumulative patch?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
http://www.codenamewindows.com/?p=1481

New stuff, but nothing killer-diller for your average Joe. I think just about the only new feature for home desktop types is OS-level support for the AVX instructions on Sandy Bridge, which means some day there may be software that uses those.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

EoRaptor posted:

I eventually installed the currently released version. Nothing has blown up, become non-genuine or grown an evaluation date.

I can't say if it fixed anything, because I wasn't having any problems. If it turns out to be an early or otherwise non-useful release, that's fine, I was planning on a reinstall when I switch to an SSD anyway, so anything that happens is fine by me.

You won't really know until months from now, probably when IE9 is released. I know I was burned by that build of 7 that everyone reported to be the final, but was actually two or three builds behind what the final was. I got updates for months, but slowly I stopped receiving them but I didn't think anything of it. The only time it affected me was when IE9 beta was released and it wouldn't install because it was a unknown version of windows.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Factory Factory posted:

http://www.codenamewindows.com/?p=1481

New stuff, but nothing killer-diller for your average Joe. I think just about the only new feature for home desktop types is OS-level support for the AVX instructions on Sandy Bridge, which means some day there may be software that uses those.

Reading up on how AVX is basically useless for speeding up x264 just makes me think this will end up like badaboom or AMD's video encoding technology, ok if you are in a pinch but worthless for people looking for quality. Hell, the way some of them talk x264 could be tweaked to be even faster than AVX if you threw quality to the wind like it does.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Windows 7 apparently sets MIDI volume to ~20% with no way to permanently change it. Moving the slider in the mixer changes the volume level until you load another MIDI or start playback from the beginning.

Why the hell does it do this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LoKout posted:

I just checked MSDN before catching up on this thread because I need to do a Windows 7 install and was hoping to grab an SP1 image. :mad:

I'll just wait to do the installation.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Sully posted:

I can confirm that streaming MKVs to Windows Media Center on the Xbox 360 works using that codec pack.

It works on the PS3 as well, though it transcodes 5.1 audio to 2.1 unfortunately.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

4 Day Weekend posted:

It works on the PS3 as well, though it transcodes 5.1 audio to 2.1 unfortunately.

PS3 Media Server is really the way to go for all your PS3 streaming needs. Plus Win7's DLNA capabilities tend to crap out with large media libraries.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

I want to upgrade from win7 starter to home premium on my netbook. Is there a cheaper source for an anytime upgrade key? I'd rather not spend another $80 on what is supposed to be a cheap netbook for school.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
This may sound stupid, but is there any way to set a web page as an active desktop in windows 7? I kinda wish I could have my full Google calendar as my desktop on one of my monitors to force me to look at it more often.

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 24, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

MY ABACUS! posted:

This may sound stupid, but is there any way to set a web page as an active desktop in windows 7? I kinda wish I could have my full Google calendar as my desktop on one of my monitors to force me to look at it more often.

That got shitcanned in Vista so far as I know, which to be fair is quite sensible as it was a hilariously large attack vector.

I use this which does the job well enough for my needs.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

MY ABACUS! posted:

I am using the Minibrowser gadget for something similar.
http://gallery.live.com/LiveItemDetail.aspx?li=83ad7bc9-48d7-455f-b659-d3f58cc11155

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Stupid question. Is there any way to turn off the thing where if I move a window to the top of my screen, it gets maximized? Or half-maxed if I move it to the left or the right?

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

Stupid question. Is there any way to turn off the thing where if I move a window to the top of my screen, it gets maximized? Or half-maxed if I move it to the left or the right?

Yes, see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/disable-the-mouse-drag-window-arranging-feature-in-windows-7/

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Thermopyle posted:

If you're using a halfway modern GPU, stuff you find in an mkv file is going to be decoded with the GPU if you use ffdshow tryouts. No need for CoreAVC in that case.

Even if you're only using your CPU the versions of ffdshow-tryouts I've been using in this past year or two are just as fast as CoreAVC at multi-threaded h264 decoding. There doesn't seem to be much of a reason to use CoreAVC these days.

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
Quick question -

I just built a new PC (for gaming, mostly) after using Macs exclusively for 5+ years. Since my only other computer is a Macbook, my new build has become my default computer for most day-to-day things (word processing, web browsing, music, etc.). So far it's been pretty simple to customize Windows 7, but one thing that has been driving me crazy is the inability to have the scroll bar "snap" to where you click. In OS X I could change a system preference to have the scroll bar immediately snap to where I click, but in Windows I can't seem to figure out if this is an option. As it is, I have to hold down the left mouse button and wait before the scroll bar reaches the cursor.

Really minor issue, I know, but it's just "one of those things" that I'd love to be able to do but am totally clueless as to how to make it work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure the proper place to ask this but...

Is there a way I can play a UK DVD on my region 1 dvd drive without changing the region?

Can I play it on a ps2 or something? :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way I can play a UK DVD on my region 1 dvd drive without changing the region?

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

I wouldn't be surprised if there were freeware that could do the job too.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I really like the Windows 7 Sticky Notes, but I just wish that it wasn't a separate app but instead just a desktop gadget because I hate having the Sticky Note icon in my taskbar at all times.

Does anyone know if some really cool person ported the Sticky Notes to function as a desktop gadget yet?

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Ok. I hope this question hasn't been asked a thousand times. Google is failing me. I was resistant to change, but I just got a new laptop and made the jump to 7. I'm liking it, and definitely getting used to its quirks.

For a while I used Ubuntu, and I had a nice brightness icon in the taskbar. Much like the volume icon, you could click it and a slider comes up. That is what I want. I am failing to find this. Someone else out there wants and has this, but I fail thus far.

The gadgets are a neat addition, but I hate the clutter. I've seen how Macs have a one touch dashboard thing going on where they are all hidden unless they are called to the screen. I've found windows+g, but that just calls them to the top. I want them gone. I wouldn't mind a small program that pins to the taskbar, and toggles them on click.

EDIT - Stick Figs: If you click "Get more gadgets online" on the gadget window, you can search around. There are a bunch of note gadgets out there.

EDIT EDIT - found a program called Gadget Minimizer that gets gadgets to behave how I want them to. Windows + up/down toggles on and off. Only problem is it leaves a gross graphical artifact shadow. Anyone know of anything better?
http://prisoner7.deviantart.com/art/Gadget-Minimizer-162623882

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 27, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

I wouldn't be surprised if there were freeware that could do the job too.

What I'm trying to do is play the dvds without ripping them or reburning them. I thought with AnyDVD that ripped them.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What I'm trying to do is play the dvds without ripping them or reburning them. I thought with AnyDVD that ripped them.

No it runs in the background and strips protection in real time.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...

StickFigs posted:

Does anyone know if some really cool person ported the Sticky Notes to function as a desktop gadget yet?
Not that I've seen. There's a few other options in the gallery:

http://gallery.live.com/results.aspx?bt=1&q=sticky

No idea if any of those are good enough for what you'd want, though.

edit: Yeah, that's what I get for leaving a window open...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

StickFigs posted:

I really like the Windows 7 Sticky Notes, but I just wish that it wasn't a separate app but instead just a desktop gadget because I hate having the Sticky Note icon in my taskbar at all times.

You could try setting up Rainmeter and customizing a skin to include some big ol' sticky note functions. It's a little non-intuitive to customize, but you can get a lot of mileage out of it. The built-in note applets basically just hold a text file that you can edit (and optionally add markup language to for formatting) by clicking on the note.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Google: "dvd43" edit: 32bit only :(

Alternatively do it the old fashioned way, Google for your exact model of DVD drive followed by "RPC1 firmware" e.g. "Liteon DVS-4037P RPC1 firmware". I do this to my drives as a matter of principle. Use MPC-HC or VideoLAN as your player software.

Note that if an autoreset firmware is available for your drive, use that in preference to an RPC1 firmware. Windows Media Player in 7 apparently refuses to work with RPC1 drives.

Lum fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 26, 2011

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

XdN tweaker can do that, plus a bunch of other stuff:

http://xenomorph.net/files/code/vb/xdntweaker/

GreenBuckanneer posted:

DVDfab Passkey Lite is free and should do what you're asking.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

VLC will play any region of DVD. I use it to watch UK dvds sometimes.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere before, but, 297 pages. So:

I just bought an SSD and I'm planning to reinstall my OS on it. The SSD is small, like every affordable SSD, so when I do reinstall I'd like to stick /Users on another drive to maximize space for crucial programs.

What's the best way to do this? I have a DVD copy of Win7 Professional/x64 from my school's MSDNAA account.

Thanks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

orange lime posted:

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere before, but, 297 pages. So:

I just bought an SSD and I'm planning to reinstall my OS on it. The SSD is small, like every affordable SSD, so when I do reinstall I'd like to stick /Users on another drive to maximize space for crucial programs.

What's the best way to do this? I have a DVD copy of Win7 Professional/x64 from my school's MSDNAA account.

Thanks.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but you can download WAIK. It's hundreds of megabytes of poo poo that will in the end put a tiny xml file on a flash drive that will move your users directory.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Or just make a symlink. Or right click on the folders inside your user folder, go to the Location tab, and click the handy "Move" button.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but you can download WAIK. It's hundreds of megabytes of poo poo that will in the end put a tiny xml file on a flash drive that will move your users directory.

I thought doing that broke WindowsUpdate, or did they fix that in 7?

I just moved My Documents, My Pictures etc using the built inmethod of right click -> properties -> location. This way things like Temp and browser cache and all the other poo poo applications need to start up quickly remain on the SSD.

I then went and turned off power saving on the HDD as I was sick of waiting 3 seconds for the drive to spin up (with an annoying click) every time I tried to download a file in Firefox and it needed to display the SaveAs dialogue box.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SP1 had better fix remote assistance that has been broken since day one or I'm going to completely flip my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

SP1 had better fix remote assistance that has been broken since day one or I'm going to completely flip my poo poo.

My system would sometimes hang when I would run Chkdsk. That had been my only issue with Windows 7. (see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778/)

There was a hotfix released (you had to request it from Microsoft), and I believe the hotfix is part of SP1, so I'm pretty sure that SP1 fixes my issue.

On other sites (Neowin comes to mind), every time there was a mention of a Service Pack for Windows 7, there would always be people saying "just use Windows Update, and you won't need a service pack!" or, "Windows works fine for me. Who needs a service pack?"...

Well, lots of issues are not fixed by Windows Updates. It provides security fixes. Rarely does Windows Updates fix bugs or have real updates/changes. All those get held back (in the form of Hotfixes you must request from Microsoft) and Service Packs.

What issue have you been having with Remote Assistance? Is it a known issue? I was lucky to find a solution to my Chkdsk issue. I've found that most Windows issues are common enough that someone has found a fix.
It's only iOS and OS X where I search dozens of Google pages and never find a solution. :(