Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thanks, but apparently for the 2 taskbars it's $20. Oh well.

How does windows still not do this natively? I run XP and haven't really used vista, but I had assumed they would put this basic functionality in by now. I was also hoping they put in that "multiple virtual desktop switching" that most linux window managers have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I never understood virtual desktops. You can't see more on screen at once.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

c0burn posted:

I never understood virtual desktops. You can't see more on screen at once.

It's occasionally handy for when you are doing several disparate activities, each using multiple windows. You can dedicate entire "desktops" to one activity, and easily switch between activities without minimizing and raising several windows.

I have never found it to be as useful as all the zealots do, and I get the feeling MS's desktop design would make multiple virtual desktops non-trivial, and not worth the effort. This is confirmed in part because there aren't any third party modifications to do this without replacing all of explorer.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

kapinga posted:

It's occasionally handy for when you are doing several disparate activities, each using multiple windows. You can dedicate entire "desktops" to one activity, and easily switch between activities without minimizing and raising several windows.

I have never found it to be as useful as all the zealots do, and I get the feeling MS's desktop design would make multiple virtual desktops non-trivial, and not worth the effort. This is confirmed in part because there aren't any third party modifications to do this without replacing all of explorer.

Most of the ones I have seen have problems when an application is running with admin rights; that program will persist across all the virtual desktop sessions which is really annoying. MMC.exe is a culprit of this, which ruins it for me at work because I would love to have separate virtual desktops so I could quickly jump between different sets of applications that I cluster due to different job duties.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

blargle posted:

How does windows still not do this natively? I run XP and haven't really used vista, but I had assumed they would put this basic functionality in by now. I was also hoping they put in that "multiple virtual desktop switching" that most linux window managers have.

Yeah it's really obnoxious. I have no idea why something so simple isn't supported anymore. I can understand it not being in windows 98, but Windows 7? Come on.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Most of the ones I have seen have problems when an application is running with admin rights; that program will persist across all the virtual desktop sessions which is really annoying. MMC.exe is a culprit of this, which ruins it for me at work because I would love to have separate virtual desktops so I could quickly jump between different sets of applications that I cluster due to different job duties.

I'm pretty sure that Desktops doesn't have that problem.

There's some caveats though. It doesn't use Aero except on the first desktop, can't move apps between desktops, has almost zero configuration options & you're limited to 4 desktops max.

It's still better than most virtual desktop apps for windows because at least it isn't just hiding windows & actually spins up new desktop objects to contain things.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 17, 2009

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I just want another drat taskbar, not a bunch of desktops

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

edit: Oops.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Casao posted:

I have it mapped to Hibernate/Sleep for Button/Close and I like it that way, sometimes I just don't want to sleep for the 30 seconds, mostly because it kills internet.

Guess I can make another profile and use a hot key to trigger it I guess.
A lot of laptops have Fn+some F key already mapped to either Hibernate or Suspend, so you could have closing the laptop do nothing and hitting the power button do whatever the key combo doesn't do.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FlyTB20C posted:

Much like Kameleon said, Win 7 just thinks it is a ps/2 mouse. Hopefully closer to the actual release someone will provide a working driver.

So? My Win 7 sees my 1000h's pad as a ps/2 mouse but I still can use all the multi-touch features and configure it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: Question on tracker cookies. Any way I can avoid getting these? When I run spyware scan after around half an hour of web browsing safe sites, I have around 20ish tracking cookies that are detected. I've tried with IE, Firefox, and Chrome, and oddly enough it seems less so with IE, though it's still a problem.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tivac posted:

I'm pretty sure that Desktops doesn't have that problem.

There's some caveats though. It doesn't use Aero except on the first desktop, can't move apps between desktops, has almost zero configuration options & you're limited to 4 desktops max.

It's still better than most virtual desktop apps for windows because at least it isn't just hiding windows & actually spins up new desktop objects to contain things.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason for those limitations? At the very least I don't see how it could have saved them any time to limit the number of desktops.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason for those limitations? At the very least I don't see how it could have saved them any time to limit the number of desktops.

Best guess, because they didn't want to build a config option to allow you to have more. Or come up with a way to show more than 4 (which is easily handled by the square icon subdivided into 4 smaller squares w/ the current desktop lit up).

The Aero limitation is imposed by how the Desktop object works, same w/ no moving of apps.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

SteveMcQueen posted:

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have an Asus 1000h that I installed Windows 7 RC on a week or so ago. It was all new and fun for a couple days but I've realized that my netbook simply doesn't have the juice to run Windows 7 properly. After coming to this conclusion, I've attempted to re-install Windows XP by making a bootable flash drive and just doing a clean install from there. I'm at my wits end however because

1) Live USB Helper doesn't work on Windows 7,
2) Make Bootable can't see my flash drive,
3) The HP Disk Storage Format Tool failed to make my drive bootable,
4) Windows 7 doesn't use BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT so I can't move those files to my flash drive,
5) USB_PREP8 also cannot find my flash drive.

So, in conclusion, has anyone made an install flash drive in Windows 7? How in the sam heck did you get it to work?

I went through a bunch of hell figuring this out too. Eventually I stumbled across a blog that worked perfectly.
http://garyshortblog.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/how-to-install-windows-7-beta-on-an-acer-aspire-one-netbook/

I think I did have to download a different bootsect than Win7 uses, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Symon Lymon posted:

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: Question on tracker cookies. Any way I can avoid getting these? When I run spyware scan after around half an hour of web browsing safe sites, I have around 20ish tracking cookies that are detected. I've tried with IE, Firefox, and Chrome, and oddly enough it seems less so with IE, though it's still a problem.

In Firefox you have the option of disabling 3rd party tracking cookies, which will effectively stop that behavior. Be warned that it may break some websites though that rely on 3rd parties. Generally they aren't anything to worry about.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kapinga posted:

It should be possible with the new upgraded Vista/7 task scheduler.

Task Scheduler > New Task.

Give it a name, etc.
Under the triggers tab, click new, in the "Begin the task:" dropdown, select "On Workstation Lock"
Under the Actions tab, click new, leave it on "start a program". Looks like you can change the power profile with the powercfg program. Type "powercfg.exe" into the Program/script box. Add "-setactive" (no quotes) to the arguments box.

You need to figure out what the GUID of the power profile you need is, so open up a cmd dialog and type "powercfg -l". Copy the appropriate GUID and add it to the arguments box of the task window.

Be sure to check out the Conditions and Settings tabs to make sure this will run when you want it.
Note: I have not actually run any of this to make sure it works, but it should.

I really, really like the new task manager, once you get used to it. It's extremely powerful - you can program it to run any program for any event that shows up in the event viewer.

Thanks, this worked flawlessly. It also got me to figure out that the last task I set up is actually working, but something is killing it on start up and I have no clue why. I see there's a History tab but it's disabled - how do I enable it?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Casao posted:

Thanks, this worked flawlessly. It also got me to figure out that the last task I set up is actually working, but something is killing it on start up and I have no clue why. I see there's a History tab but it's disabled - how do I enable it?

I think Task history can be enabled by clicking "Enable All Tasks History" on the actions pane on the right, when you have any task selected.

Did you check that it can start when the computer is on battery? There's a default setting that new tasks will not start (and will stop) if its on battery. Other than that, I'm not sure.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kapinga posted:

I think Task history can be enabled by clicking "Enable All Tasks History" on the actions pane on the right, when you have any task selected.

Did you check that it can start when the computer is on battery? There's a default setting that new tasks will not start (and will stop) if its on battery. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's starting fine, but actually it appears to be an issue with the app itself - the task is running but it's not showing up in my systemtray, despite running as the same user. Weird. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Casao posted:

Yeah, it's starting fine, but actually it appears to be an issue with the app itself - the task is running but it's not showing up in my systemtray, despite running as the same user. Weird. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Is it eeectl? I had to set up task scheduler to automatically start it if it was detected as failed, as it would disappear from the systray on bootup or resume from standby/hibernate. The process is still running in task manager but task scheduler seems to think it's stopped, so will open another one. Then after a few days I get to clear out the 50 or so running instances. Fun.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kameleon posted:

Is it eeectl? I had to set up task scheduler to automatically start it if it was detected as failed, as it would disappear from the systray on bootup or resume from standby/hibernate. The process is still running in task manager but task scheduler seems to think it's stopped, so will open another one. Then after a few days I get to clear out the 50 or so running instances. Fun.

Why yes, it is eeectl. I wanted to avoid the UAC prompt on boot. I guess I'll just suck it up, or come up with some needlessly complex and round-about startup method to avoid this.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I installed the RC a couple days ago and finally got around to getting it all set up. I like it a lot more than XP, except that Winamp + plugins crashes my graphics card drivers. Winamp seems to work fine with no 3rd party plugins, but running it with izotope ozone and albumlist causes a blackscreen and then W7 comes back with an error message saying that the graphics drivers crashed. I tried 185.85 and 185.81, it happens with both drivers. I'm using WMP now, it works alright, but I want my old music setup back. I tried compatibility mode for Winamp, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Casao posted:

Why yes, it is eeectl. I wanted to avoid the UAC prompt on boot. I guess I'll just suck it up, or come up with some needlessly complex and round-about startup method to avoid this.

I had the UAC prompt on boot for Rainmeter, but for the life of me I cannot remember how I got rid of it...

I think I just ran it once as admin and it sorted it self out.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Casao posted:

Heh. Getting eeectl to work acceptably required a lot of loving around. On the general tab I have it set to run only when my user account is logged in, trigger is user logon not system startup, conditions are all unticked, and the settings tab looks like this:

Set it up like this and when you resume from standby a shiny new eeectl task will start for you within the minute. Every few days or so (depending on how often you suspend) you can right-click on the task in Scheduler and select End, which very helpfully clears out all of the dead 300K eeectl processes (and the running one, but it'll be back in under a minute). God I hope someone releases a new version of this thing soon.

Now my only problem is that sometimes on resume my fan sits at 0% and doesn't turn on until I select a fan profile in eeectl (including the one that is already active). I usually notice by chance or when the keyboard gets hot but I have nightmares about one day turning it on, forgetting about it for a few hours and coming back to a cinder.

Kameleon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 18, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kameleon posted:

wonderful :words:

You're a gentlemen and a scholar, now I can actually get full eye searing brightness in a minimum of clicks.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
Couldn't you schedule a task every few days to run taskkill /f /im eeectl.exe , or something to that nature?

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

^^^ Yeah if it ever annoys me that much I'm sure I will.

Casao posted:

You're a gentlemen and a scholar, now I can actually get full eye searing brightness in a minimum of clicks.

Holy poo poo that gave me an afterimage that's still there. Why would you go through all that trouble just for that, or are you repurposing your Eee as a lighthouse?

Let me know if you run into the 0% fan bug.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kameleon posted:

^^^ Yeah if it ever annoys me that much I'm sure I will.

Holy poo poo that gave me an afterimage that's still there. Why would you go through all that trouble just for that, or are you repurposing your Eee as a lighthouse?

Let me know if you run into the 0% fan bug.

Getting a bit off topic, but I have a collection of monitors, all of them brighter than my EEE, so it looks really dark in comparison. I usually just use Brighter, but sometimes in direct sunlight, the Brightest setting helps. I also prefer the EEECtl Automatic fan settings, since it keeps it quieter. Never hit 0% bug though.

agonytuesday
Aug 24, 2007
whatever floats your boat
edit: didn't read the OP, am idiot. apologies.

agonytuesday fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 18, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

agonytuesday posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but here's the problem:
I haven't turned on my pc running 7 since the day before the email went out about the OS shutting down every hour and eventually not working because it's just the beta and such (from Microsoft), so I'm pretty sure I don't have the update that will trigger that, if that's how it works. Is there a way to keep 7 running until the official version comes out? (in October, I believe)
If not, is there any way to install Vista off of a USB drive? I have the .iso, but no way to burn it to a dvd. the computer I need to get it onto is very new, just built in april, great parts, runs crysis well on max settings blah blah blah, and I have a big enough flash drive. I just need to mount the image to the drive, but I don't know if it will work.
The primary concern is getting the win7 beta to work consistently until the full version comes out though.
That's not going to start happening for months.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Has everyone seen the new "Harmony" wallpaper?

Someone made a logo-free version:

Looks like they finally fleshed out the odd login screen, which I've replaced with the logo-free version.

Lediur fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 18, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, well, XP Mode can be made a little better.

- Enable ClearType for RDP in XP
- Enable 24-bit Color for RDP in XP
- Disable Sounds in XP

I will probably update XdN Tweaker to offer those options when ran under XP.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

Enable ClearType for RDP

I could have swore that was one of the new features of Vista...

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Ok, well, XP Mode can be made a little better.

- Enable ClearType for RDP in XP
- Enable 24-bit Color for RDP in XP
- Disable Sounds in XP

I will probably update XdN Tweaker to offer those options when ran under XP.
How do you do this? With the Remote Desktop client in Win7, or the Remote Desktop client in XP, or somewhere else?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I'm having a very frustrating problem with Windows 7 and permissions.

I have some files on the desktop that I created but for some reason cannot delete, and it's getting really annoying.

Do I have to add my domain account into any local admin user groups or anything? Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit:

Its saying you need permission from (MY USERNAME) to delete this folder?

When the account its asking for is the one I'm logged on as.

:confused:

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 18, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Hmm - I've got my 5.1 amp connected to my computer over SPDIF. When I run the Dolby Digital test in windows, my amp (which is set to decode the input signal automatically) shows "Dolby Digital" and the 5 speakers and subwoofer all work.

Playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 movie in MPC or VLC however or any game it doesn't. I'll just get left, right and SW there.

Sound: Onboard from my P5B Deluxe WiFi - it's a SoundMAX AD1988B (didn't work with the default Windows drivers and now it doesn't with the AD200B_6570_Win7 drivers)

Amp: Sony STR-DE485E

edit: to clarify - I don't know if it works at all - reading up, I've found a lot of people on random forums saying the chip didn't support dolby digital output... hooray for "deluxe" mainboards I guess...

Guess I must have misunderstood ASUS when they wrote:

quote:

S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port
This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via an coaxial S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jack. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality.

Warthog fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 18, 2009

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm having a very frustrating problem with Windows 7 and permissions.

I have some files on the desktop that I created but for some reason cannot delete, and it's getting really annoying.

I have an option on my right-click menu called "Take Ownership", I think I turned it on with Ultimate Windows Tweaker.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there some way to make Java Web Start apps work without them asking for UAC permissions each time ?

The app in question is Cgoban3, a Go client available from http://www.gokgs.com/download.jsp

Any ideas ?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is there a way, via command line, to disable/enable a network adapter? After waking from hibernate (possibly sleep too), my 1000HE can't detect a cable being plugged in until I disable/enable it. Apparently, people have the issue in XP too, so I'm guessing it's not 7 related. I figure it'd be a fairly quick thing to add something to do this on wake up to my ever growing list of task manager tasks. Can I do this?

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Casao posted:

Is there a way, via command line, to disable/enable a network adapter? After waking from hibernate (possibly sleep too), my 1000HE can't detect a cable being plugged in until I disable/enable it. Apparently, people have the issue in XP too, so I'm guessing it's not 7 related. I figure it'd be a fairly quick thing to add something to do this on wake up to my ever growing list of task manager tasks. Can I do this?

Does Devcon work in 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

I would imagine you could do it with netsh... in fact, I think I have before. Lemme see what I can find.

Edit: netsh lan reconnect (from command prompt) appears to force the adapter to reconnect. I don't know if it would solve your cable problem, though. I don't know too much about netsh, so there's probably another function that would also work.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 18, 2009