Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Casao posted:

Is there a way, via command line, to disable/enable a network adapter? After waking from hibernate (possibly sleep too), my 1000HE can't detect a cable being plugged in until I disable/enable it. Apparently, people have the issue in XP too, so I'm guessing it's not 7 related. I figure it'd be a fairly quick thing to add something to do this on wake up to my ever growing list of task manager tasks. Can I do this?

Kameleon posted:

Does Devcon work in 7?

Yes.

I use devcon to disable/enable the touchscreen on my tablet. I wrote a blog post about how to do it years ago for Vista, and I'm still using it on 7. You'll have to figure out which network adapter it is...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

syphon posted:

How do you do this? With the Remote Desktop client in Win7, or the Remote Desktop client in XP, or somewhere else?

ClearType and 24bit color (haven't tried 32bit, but its listed to only go up to 24bit for some reason) are both changes you can make in the Registry of XP.

cleartype for RDP:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations]
"AllowFontAntiAlias"=dword:00000001

force RDP to 24bit (it defaults to 16bit in XP mode)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]
"ColorDepth"=dword:00000004

then restart XP. When it boots back up, ClearType and 24-bit color should be enabled. So text and icons will look better.

I was not able to test Cisco VPN with XP Mode, as the Cisco device I was connecting to has Split Tunneling disabled. As soon as the connection is made, it blocks local access. Local access is required of course to route Host traffic to the guest. My last employer had split tunneling enabled, but of course I won't be connecting to them any more.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Casao posted:

Is there a way, via command line, to disable/enable a network adapter? After waking from hibernate (possibly sleep too), my 1000HE can't detect a cable being plugged in until I disable/enable it. Apparently, people have the issue in XP too, so I'm guessing it's not 7 related. I figure it'd be a fairly quick thing to add something to do this on wake up to my ever growing list of task manager tasks. Can I do this?

Go to Network and Sharing Center, Change adapter settings, Rght Click on the LAN,-> Properties-> Configure-> Power Management->Uncheck "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power.

You may need a reboot but that should fix your issue.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Independence posted:

Go to Network and Sharing Center, Change adapter settings, Rght Click on the LAN,-> Properties-> Configure-> Power Management->Uncheck "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power.

You may need a reboot but that should fix your issue.

You rock. Seems to have fixed it.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes.

I use devcon to disable/enable the touchscreen on my tablet. I wrote a blog post about how to do it years ago for Vista, and I'm still using it on 7. You'll have to figure out which network adapter it is...

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind for the future, it's come up in the past.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Well, I installed Win7 on my netbook today and I really like it. It would be perfect if only it had multiple desktops. So I came into the thread to ask but apparently this was discussed last page and goddammit how can windows still not have the ability to properly do multiple desktops, even a 3rd party utility.

Autarch Kade
May 6, 2008
When I upgraded from Vista 64 to Windows 7 RC it became impossible to run SLI or EVE in windowed mode at all. I had installed the latest Nvidia drivers at that time.

Just today I checked for updated drivers, installed those, and now all those problems have disappeared for me.

The two graphics cards in question were 8800 GTS 640mb.

Besides that problem (now fixed) I haven't noticed any issues with 7, and have noticed a nice performance increase over Vista 64 in games. I've recommended it to friends as well.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Is there a way to clear the jump lists for explorer and ie8?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

weaaddar posted:

Is there a way to clear the jump lists for explorer and ie8?

Right click on item, "Remove from this list" ? Works for Explorer, at least.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MeramJert posted:

Well, I installed Win7 on my netbook today and I really like it. It would be perfect if only it had multiple desktops. So I came into the thread to ask but apparently this was discussed last page and goddammit how can windows still not have the ability to properly do multiple desktops, even a 3rd party utility.

Microsoft doesn't think they're worth implementing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Is there anything I can do to get OpenGL drivers for my Radeon 9700 Pro AIW? ATI doesn't have them available for cards that old and I can't get XBMC to run with the Microsoft drivers. I really don't want to go through the trouble of doing a clean install of XP now, but I'll have to since the computer is worthless without that program.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Femur posted:

I have a 8gb one. I had always set it at 2x physical ram?
I have 8GB of ram and still haven't seen any reason to re-enable my page file. Despite getting jumped on in here, unless I see a specific problem it is staying off.</challenge>

Casao posted:

Is there an easy way to, on a case-by-case basis, prevent a laptop from going to sleep when closed? I like it to happen most of the time, but occasionally I'm just setting it down for 2 minutes to take a quiz or something and I'd prefer not to have to reconnect. I guess I could make another power profile, but I'm looking for something simpler, like if I lock it before I close it, it doesn't go to sleep. Anyone done this before?
I always set it to sleep when closed if it was on battery and to do nothing when closed if plugged in. It isn't as specific as you want, but might try it.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 19, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ilkhan posted:

I have 8GB of ram and still haven't seen any reason to re-enable my page file. Despite getting jumped on in here, unless I see a specific problem it is staying off.</challenge>

I always set it to sleep when closed if it was on battery and to do nothing when closed if plugged in. It isn't as specific as you want, but might try it.

There is absolutely no reason to turn it off unless you have severely limited disk space (like a 8 gb ssd or something like that). You may as well fray all the wires connected to your PC.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

This is pretty minor and probably more of an inexperienced with administrator rights thing, but maybe someone can help...

I run TVersity to stream to the Xbox360, and on XP all I had to do was set it to share on windows startup, and it was good to go. On 7 however, when the system is rebooted, the media server launches, but it is apparently not launching as Admin so the Xbox is not able to access anything until I open it as admin and restart the server.

Is there any way to get it to launch and share as admin by default?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Is there anything I can do to get OpenGL drivers for my Radeon 9700 Pro AIW? ATI doesn't have them available for cards that old and I can't get XBMC to run with the Microsoft drivers. I really don't want to go through the trouble of doing a clean install of XP now, but I'll have to since the computer is worthless without that program.

You can still run vista drivers in windows 7.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

incoherent posted:

You can still run vista drivers in windows 7.

Ok, but I can't seem to find the Vista driver by itself. If I select the catalyst drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.23&lang=English it only gives me the option to run an .exe After I run it the program just tells me it didn't install the drivers. So I uninstalled the microsoft drivers and used the standard vga. Then I go to the directory ATI installs, and the only .inf I can find to install manually are for Radeon HD cards. It's like they uploaded the wrong driver package to the site. The file is called 9-3_vista32_win7_32_dd.exe, which seems to me like the wrong thing since the only cards the will let you download the Windows 7 drivers for are the ones that appear on the list for the .inf files I found.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

CubanMissile posted:

Ok, but I can't seem to find the Vista driver by itself. If I select the catalyst drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.23&lang=English it only gives me the option to run an .exe After I run it the program just tells me it didn't install the drivers. So I uninstalled the microsoft drivers and used the standard vga. Then I go to the directory ATI installs, and the only .inf I can find to install manually are for Radeon HD cards. It's like they uploaded the wrong driver package to the site. The file is called 9-3_vista32_win7_32_dd.exe, which seems to me like the wrong thing since the only cards the will let you download the Windows 7 drivers for are the ones that appear on the list for the .inf files I found.
ATI are not updating their "legacy" (all cards before their HD range) card drivers as frequently anymore.

On Win7 x64, the Catalyst 9.3 drivers didn't work at all for me. For my old Radeon x1600 card I've had to use the Vista x64 9.1 catalyst drivers for the latest DirectX games but for older games (like CounterStrike, Quake etc) that only really support OpenGL rendering get the 8.9 catalyst drivers.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

osigas posted:

ATI are not updating their "legacy" (all cards before their HD range) card drivers as frequently anymore.

On Win7 x64, the Catalyst 9.3 drivers didn't work at all for me. For my old Radeon x1600 card I've had to use the Vista x64 9.1 catalyst drivers for the latest DirectX games but for older games (like CounterStrike, Quake etc) that only really support OpenGL rendering get the 8.9 catalyst drivers.

I installed the Catalyst 9.1 and I'm able to use XBMC now. Thanks guys!

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
I don't suppose anyone has any advice on how to get beyond what seems to me to be an nforce 650i / Sata drive problem? It locks up on expanding files every time and then the drive becomes unresponsive to the BIOS until I reboot. Sometimes I need to turn off the power supply to get it to recognize the drive again.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

kode54 posted:

Right click on item, "Remove from this list" ? Works for Explorer, at least.

That's really not the best way. Its annoying as IE8 jumplist populate even when in stealth mode will still populate.

Anyway, I found if your trying to clear all the pron you viewed [or other embarrassing things] you can right click on your start menu and unselect the option that says keep pinned items jumplists. Hit apply, then reselect it. Now no one will know!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Noble Nobbler posted:

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on how to get beyond what seems to me to be an nforce 650i / Sata drive problem? It locks up on expanding files every time and then the drive becomes unresponsive to the BIOS until I reboot. Sometimes I need to turn off the power supply to get it to recognize the drive again.

That's precisely my controller and I've never had that problem.

1) What driver are you using, and which version of it?
2) Have you tried switching or reinstalling drivers?
3) Have you eliminated hardware error as a possible cause?

And before I forget: Which build of Windows 7?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 19, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Holy poo poo.

I just got an email from Charter - Notice of Copyright Infringement.

quote:

Dear Charter Internet Subscriber:

Charter Communications ("Charter") has been notified by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, that your Internet account may have been involved in the exchange of unauthorized copies of copyrighted material (e.g., music, movies, or software). We are enclosing a copy of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice that Charter received from the copyright holder which includes the specific allegation.

The Business Software Alliance (BSA) has determined that the above connection, which appears to be using an Internet account under your control, is using a P2P network seen below to offer unlicensed copies of copyrighted computer programs published by the BSA's member companies.

Evidentiary Information:
Asset: Microsoft Windows
Protocol: BitTorrent
File Name: Microsoft Windows 7 RC

I got a DMCA email because of Windows 7. Something Microsoft is providing to the public.
This is something that is a time-limited trial that works with keys Microsoft is also giving out to the public.
Yet, I got a big rear end email about how piracy like this hurts the industry.

I try to avoid ever downloading bad poo poo. Music, movies, whatever. I'd rather just buy a DVD than download a movie and risk getting in trouble.
I usually have uTorrent open with a shitload of ISOs. Ubuntu, Win7, etc. Stuff I've needed but usually have trouble getting.

And I get a letter for uploading EVALUATION software?

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

DMCA :haw:

Looks like you'll have $1.9 million in fines coming your way soon. I want to see how this plays out.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

liquidXenon posted:

Looks like you'll have $1.9 million in fines coming your way soon. I want to see how this plays out.

I'm pretty sure they may have a hard time trying to figure how much I've cost the company by reducing their bandwidth costs, but it bothers me that I have the warning on my record now at Charter.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Xenomorph posted:

I'm pretty sure they may have a hard time trying to figure how much I've cost the company by reducing their bandwidth costs, but it bothers me that I have the warning on my record now at Charter.

The warning doesn't do anything to your account overall. My wife got one a couple of years ago from HBO (Downloading Entourage), and nothing ever came of it, and that was from actual infringement.

I kind of see where they're coming from in a twisted way: I see how they want to control the distribution channels because of liability concerns.

It's still a stupid way to do it, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xenomorph posted:

Apparently, not being able to figure out an exact cost means the fine is 1.92 million.

tinkan
Jan 29, 2005

*sigh*
What program would you recommend as the best partition manager compatible with Windows 7?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tinkan posted:

What program would you recommend as the best partition manager compatible with Windows 7?

From within Windows or bootable?

Within Windows itself, Windows 7 has rudimentary partition management. It can extend or shrink partitions, but it can't change where one starts. Also it can't really deal with existing filesystem structures, limiting how much a partition can be shrunk.

For most other things you're probably best off with gparted or something. Back up first if you can't disconnect drives with things you don't want to lose on them.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

The warning doesn't do anything to your account overall. My wife got one a couple of years ago from HBO (Downloading Entourage), and nothing ever came of it, and that was from actual infringement.

I kind of see where they're coming from in a twisted way: I see how they want to control the distribution channels because of liability concerns.

It's still a stupid way to do it, though.

Well, I'm guessing it will still stick with my account and be there permanently. And what if it happens again? What if I get more emails from them seeing the Win7 Beta on there a few weeks back? Or the Vista SP2 ISO? I'm sure multiple warnings like that will cause them to kill my service.

I'll not share Windows ISOs any more, but I still don't see how I was causing any harm.

Thermopyle posted:

Apparently, not being able to figure out an exact cost means the fine is 1.92 million.

Yeah, I'd think I'd settle now that I know more retarded poo poo can happen if it goes to trial.

If you can afford something, then pay. I'm against "filez", and I've happily paid for a lot of shareware and demo applications, plus lots of people have paid me for XdN Tweaker - but with the recent RIAA case, that lady cost the record companies a grand total of $0.00 in lost sales. Nothing physically lost, nothing "real" to account for. Just some people (that were never going to pay for the music in the first place) downloading it to enjoy the same way someone enjoys the music on the radio.
A million dollar decision against her makes no sense.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xenomorph posted:

A million dollar decision against her makes no sense.

Thank lobbying dollars and huge ranges of damages authorized by statute! Note that last time she was only on the hook for $80,000, and the case went BETTER for her this time. Poorly drafted legislation.

Also, being on public trackers with anything is just asking for trouble.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

IP record woes

Fun fact: Microsoft sent similar DMCA complaints (I think) to people who had a torrent for Windows XP Service Pack 2 after its release. Not the whole OS, just the 250 meg Service Pack installer, which was notoriously difficult to download at the time due to colossal demand.

Companies like Microsoft want an insane level of control over the distribution of their code, and I think a big part of the reason for that is liability; if they let people distribute their files willy-nilly, someone out there's going to hack a virus into it which will gently caress up someone's computer with a retail installation, which Microsoft will then waste time and money fixing. I don't like it any more than you do, but at the same time I kind of see where they're coming from.

As for your "record" with the ISP, honestly, I really don't think this will haunt you in any significant way. I don't honestly see them going "a-ha! He did it this time AND two years ago". I myself got a notice for downloading something off a public tracker once; ironically, I think it was something like Pro Tools which REQUIRED special hardware to use at all (it was basically a dongle with an actual function), so what I was downloading was basically just a reinstall disc. Since then, because that ISP was found guilty of traffic shapingmy family now has THEM by the balls and they pretty much can't terminate our service ever if we don't want them to unless we do something blatantly illegal online.

OhPlz
Jul 25, 2001

It's great that we have a minority as President, it's just a shame that he's a communist.

Thermopyle posted:

I have/had that same problem with my Fujitsu Lifebook. Knew there had to be a way to kick the driver, just didn't have time to look. Thanks for the info!

FWIW, I installed a tablet pen driver off Wacom's site a little over a week ago on Win 7 RC and I haven't had the problem return. That's probably several dozen sleep or hibernate cycles for me.

I can't imagine how these tablet manufacturers release a product never noticing that stylus stops responding after so many wakes. Fujitsu claims they've never heard of it (yea, right).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

Fun fact: Microsoft sent similar DMCA complaints (I think) to people who had a torrent for Windows XP Service Pack 2 after its release. Not the whole OS, just the 250 meg Service Pack installer, which was notoriously difficult to download at the time due to colossal demand.
It's also important to take note of the part of the complaint letter that states the BSA was the one who sent the notice, not Microsoft. This could easily be a case of the BSA's automated system just firing out complaints left and right, or maybe Microsoft tried to get them to go after people on the leaked builds and the BSA didn't know or care to filter out people sharing the public releases. There's absolutely no disincentive to sending out an absolute shitload of DMCA complaints so I doubt they spend any time or money on fine tuning their systems.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Are there any guides to getting sleep/hibernate to work. It worked fine under Vista, but now it doesn't seem to play well.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MeramJert posted:

There was a decent 3rd party utility for Windows 9x. I doubt it'll work in 7, though.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

weaaddar posted:

That's really not the best way. Its annoying as IE8 jumplist populate even when in stealth mode will still populate.

Anyway, I found if your trying to clear all the pron you viewed [or other embarrassing things] you can right click on your start menu and unselect the option that says keep pinned items jumplists. Hit apply, then reselect it. Now no one will know!

Funny, I have yet to see anything I've loaded under InPrivate mode appear in the jumplists. Of course, maybe all the navigations caused by Steam's browser overwrote that poo poo. Hmm...

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

xamphear posted:

It's also important to take note of the part of the complaint letter that states the BSA was the one who sent the notice, not Microsoft. This could easily be a case of the BSA's automated system just firing out complaints left and right, or maybe Microsoft tried to get them to go after people on the leaked builds and the BSA didn't know or care to filter out people sharing the public releases. There's absolutely no disincentive to sending out an absolute shitload of DMCA complaints so I doubt they spend any time or money on fine tuning their systems.

Well, I think it's beyond stupid, but I won't be helping out with Windows ISOs any more. At least not on public trackers.

At my last employer, I didn't have the MSDN login account, and the guy that did always took his sweet time to get poo poo off the TechNet site for us. I always found it easier and faster to jump on a torrent to get the ISO (after confirming the MD5).

Amazing that after all that time with AT&T, I never got any emails, but I got one within weeks of doing something on Charter.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

evensevenone posted:

Are there any guides to getting sleep/hibernate to work. It worked fine under Vista, but now it doesn't seem to play well.

If you're having issues with sleep mode waking up by itself, as I was, follow this. I used powercfg to figure out what devices were waking up my computer and it's all working fine now. Some other people were having issues with computers never waking up also, but I haven't run into that yet so I'm not sure where to look to fix those issues.

Edit: Whoops wrong quote

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 20, 2009

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
My problem is that when I put it to sleep, the fans/hds don't turn off, and then if I try to turn it back on, it goes into this endless cycle of trying to start, then going back to sleep again. So I have to unplug the computer to start it again.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
One of my HD's is currently in its death throes at the moment which isn't too big a deal as it only had an XP partition and some other non-critical stuff, but unfortunately it's the master HD with 7's boot record on it.

I am using the 7100 RC now, but I've upgraded through the various beta versions just through mounting them and upgrading inside Windows, so I don't have an RC DVD nor do I have any blank DVDs on me. Is there any way to put 7's boot record on the second HD from within Windows? Or can I use my old 7000 DVD to fix it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Black Pants posted:

One of my HD's is currently in its death throes at the moment which isn't too big a deal as it only had an XP partition and some other non-critical stuff, but unfortunately it's the master HD with 7's boot record on it.

I am using the 7100 RC now, but I've upgraded through the various beta versions just through mounting them and upgrading inside Windows, so I don't have an RC DVD nor do I have any blank DVDs on me. Is there any way to put 7's boot record on the second HD from within Windows? Or can I use my old 7000 DVD to fix it up?

Can't you use the "create bootable backup image" from the backup settings, or am I miising something in your post.