Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
I've been having a strange error for the past few weeks now. Every time I end up holding the shift key and tap space, the spacebar fails to register the stroke. I've tried remapping keys, switching keyboards, etc. I've tied this down to being a Windows 7 or software issue. I've heard possibilities of Adobe AIR causing these issues, although literally every one of these issues happened with some application called Thwirl in OS X and an Adobe AIR update fixed it.

I've uninstalled AIR and all of the applications that needed AIR, and combed the registry for anything leftover. I'm at my wits end, it's an extremely annoying problem.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on, or how to fix it? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryo
Jan 15, 2003
Last night I tried to install 64bit Windows 7 on my desktop, however when it got to the "expanding files" part it slowed down to a crawl. I left it on overnight, and when I checked it 5 hours later it had only got to 97%. A couple of hours later it failed because it couldn't set locale settings.

Anyone else had this problem of it taking far too long to expand files? I know the DVD is fine because I used the same one on a laptop and that installed in about 40 minutes total.

I checked the Intel site to make sure I had a processor that supported 64 bit. I'm installing on a clean hard drive and using the Windows 7 setup to format it.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

ryo posted:

Last night I tried to install 64bit Windows 7 on my desktop, however when it got to the "expanding files" part it slowed down to a crawl. I left it on overnight, and when I checked it 5 hours later it had only got to 97%. A couple of hours later it failed because it couldn't set locale settings.

Anyone else had this problem of it taking far too long to expand files? I know the DVD is fine because I used the same one on a laptop and that installed in about 40 minutes total.

I checked the Intel site to make sure I had a processor that supported 64 bit. I'm installing on a clean hard drive and using the Windows 7 setup to format it.

Try changing your main HD's cable if you got a spare. I once had a similar problem installing XP, the setup would be failing at different points until I changed the cable. It drove me insane thinking it might be the HD failing or something worse, since 30 min before that I was playing games fine and using computer normally.

Same thing might be the answer to OMGWTFJohnny's issue. It might not be the answer but try it if you haven't.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

ryo posted:

This is a notorious problem and people have solved it in a variety of ways, some which were arguably coincidental and not indicative of the real problem.

With my install problem, I noticed that it wasn't actually locking up completely because the dot progress indicator would move and then allow my mouse to move for that fraction of a second. I'm thinking it's some device driver conflict that is timing out.

I don't think changing your cable makes sense at all. It's either connected or it's not-- heavy activity doesn't make your cable any more or less connected than it was before.

Just out of curiosity--do you have an nforce chipset and perhaps a moderately old SATA drive with NCQ?

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
I did post this in the WoW Goon forums but I remembered seeing others having some WoW issues with Windows 7 through the course of these threads so thought I'd ask here too as I suspect it's a permissions problem.

I'm still having problems with WoW not saving my UI settings on Windows 7 and defaults to old settings every time I log in.

WoW is installed to C:\Users\Public\Games (full access rights to my user and administrator), I have set WoW.exe and Launcher.exe to run as administrator, and I have tried deleting my WTF folder and re-launcing... but to no avail! I've also tried setting the config.wtf to be read only and then back again but every time I launch WoW it defaults back no matter what I set. All my other settings are being saved (key bindings, addon settings etc) but the Video options are always lost.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Has anyone else had to tinker with permissions to get this working?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

osigas posted:

I did post this in the WoW Goon forums but I remembered seeing others having some WoW issues with Windows 7 through the course of these threads so thought I'd ask here too as I suspect it's a permissions problem.

I'm still having problems with WoW not saving my UI settings on Windows 7 and defaults to old settings every time I log in.

WoW is installed to C:\Users\Public\Games (full access rights to my user and administrator), I have set WoW.exe and Launcher.exe to run as administrator, and I have tried deleting my WTF folder and re-launcing... but to no avail! I've also tried setting the config.wtf to be read only and then back again but every time I launch WoW it defaults back no matter what I set. All my other settings are being saved (key bindings, addon settings etc) but the Video options are always lost.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Has anyone else had to tinker with permissions to get this working?

I will come right out and say that this is bizarre. I'm running WoW from the same space you are but I haven't had a single problem like this. In fact, the only time I did was when I had it installed to program files.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LooseChanj posted:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware personal experiences required documented and peer-reviewed references.

15-20C cooler is an insane number though. If your Vista was running upto 20C hotter than your Win 7 install something was really, really fubared.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

osigas posted:

It definitely sounds like permissions. I run WoW from the same location as I did in XP (C:\games\wow\) and haven't had any problems. Did you come from a vista install? I think vista (only used it for like a week) kept some wow files somewhere besides the wow folder. If so track that down and check permissions on that folder.

Also try running wow as administrator see if it still gives you grief?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Stanley Pain posted:

15-20C cooler is an insane number though. If your Vista was running upto 20C hotter than your Win 7 install something was really, really fubared.

I speak in Real Degrees. :fsmug:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LooseChanj posted:

I speak in Real Degrees. :fsmug:

:golfclap:

Still fairly significant. My guess is Win 7's idle routines are actually kicking in for your CPU and not so much under Vista. Or a process or two are mysteriously eating away at some CPU cycles somewhere.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Stanley Pain posted:

:golfclap:

Still fairly significant. My guess is Win 7's idle routines are actually kicking in for your CPU and not so much under Vista. Or a process or two are mysteriously eating away at some CPU cycles somewhere.

I'd wonder if speedfan wasn't just full of poo poo, but under heavy load both Vista and 7 top out in the low 140's. I remember reading (back around the time Vista came out) that one of the things planned for 7 was real support for multiple cpus and cores so I'm guessing this is a result of that.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

LooseChanj posted:

I'd wonder if speedfan wasn't just full of poo poo, but under heavy load both Vista and 7 top out in the low 140's. I remember reading (back around the time Vista came out) that one of the things planned for 7 was real support for multiple cpus and cores so I'm guessing this is a result of that.

Huh? :whoptc:

You mean 140 in Celsius?

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 23, 2009

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Gvaz posted:

Huh? :whoptc:

You mean 140 in Celsius?

When he joked real degrees he meant Fahrenheit

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
oh that's about the same for me then.

right now according to my case thingy, i'm idling at 32c, so that's not so bad.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Bonobos posted:

What is the best dvd ripper these days? I'd prefer free, but I am lloking for something that just works. I've been using DVD Decrypter, which is hysterically ancient, so I assume something more recent / better has replaced it.
Not really. There's a smattering of other options these days but they don't have a better UI or work better, so unless you run into a specific problem there's no reason to switch if you're used to DVD Decrypter.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Linux Nazi posted:

It definitely sounds like permissions. I run WoW from the same location as I did in XP (C:\games\wow\) and haven't had any problems. Did you come from a vista install? I think vista (only used it for like a week) kept some wow files somewhere besides the wow folder. If so track that down and check permissions on that folder.

Also try running wow as administrator see if it still gives you grief?
I did a fresh install of Windows 7 so no leftover WoW files in bad places that I know of, I've set the WoW.exe to run as administrator already too. When looking at the permissions there were a few random user groups like SYSTEM, and CREATOR along with my user and Administrator, do I need to give them access rights? I don't have a clue what users/process would use those groups. I really feel like I shouldn't be having to do all this to get it to work, the install and all game updates all ran fine, no administrator/UAC problems, but now I'm left with this!

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
forget it. Stupid post.

Kali11324 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 23, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Gvaz posted:

Is there any option to reduce the size of windows 7's enormous taskbar? I'm gonna install the beta this weekend, and it looks like it will be too big even on 1920x1200. Maybe half the size would be nice. Does autohide take focus from fullscreen things?
Using 1920x1200 as my primary monitor, and "large" icons really are not excessive at all.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Storm- posted:

Same thing might be the answer to OMGWTFJohnny's issue. It might not be the answer but try it if you haven't.

Mine was on a laptop, but got it working on the 2nd install, took about 3 hours.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Plorkyeran posted:

Not really. There's a smattering of other options these days but they don't have a better UI or work better, so unless you run into a specific problem there's no reason to switch if you're used to DVD Decrypter.

No, actually DVDFab is the best one that I have used. Its being updated constantly and can rip some DVDs that decrypter can't as well as having built in compression for DVD9 to 5.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Say I, right now installed windows 7. On wednesday when I change my cpu/mobo/ram, will that gently caress up everything and I'll have to reinstall anyways? I really hate not having my settings all there and it takes a week to a month to get everything how I want it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gvaz posted:

Say I, right now installed windows 7. On wednesday when I change my cpu/mobo/ram, will that gently caress up everything and I'll have to reinstall anyways? I really hate not having my settings all there and it takes a week to a month to get everything how I want it.

Mobo replacements are sorta 50/50 for fubar potential. I usually do a fresh install when I change motherboards. Depending on the SATA controller you may be able to just swap boards, boot windows and be fine.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm going from this http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939SLI32-eSATA2 to this http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2978&ProductName=GA-MA770-UD3

I have no idea how you tell what chip is what.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Did you install any chipset drivers, specifically ones for the SATA controller? Are you running SATA in IDE Mode, AHCI, RAID?

If you didn't any special drivers, and run in the same SATA mode between mobos you'll be ok. The other problem would be that they are two completely different mobo chipsets (ULi vs AMD).

I'd plan on having to re-install.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Stanley Pain posted:

Did you install any chipset drivers, specifically ones for the SATA controller? Are you running SATA in IDE Mode, AHCI, RAID?

If you didn't any special drivers, and run in the same SATA mode between mobos you'll be ok. The other problem would be that they are two completely different mobo chipsets (ULi vs AMD).

I'd plan on having to re-install.

I run in non-raid mode (whatever my mobo calls it), with all 3 Sata drives. even my dvd burner is sata. No special drivers.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

osigas posted:

This may sound stupid, but it's worth asking. When you close out of WoW, are you closing the game normally, or killing it with Alt+F4 or the task manager or something? UI settings (and video and sound settings, actually) only save if you completely exit out of the game by using the game's exit feature.

This can actually be handy in situations where you need to change your video settings for a boss fight, but don't want to try and remember where you had them before. Just use task manager to end Wow.exe, and next time you open the game, your settings are back to the way they were.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gvaz posted:

I run in non-raid mode (whatever my mobo calls it), with all 3 Sata drives. even my dvd burner is sata. No special drivers.

Well that's one problem down and a few others that might creep up. It'll really depend on how gracefully Win 7 is going to handle you replacing the entire subsystem of your computer. I've heard of people doing mobo swaps in XP without much issue, so give it a shot and let me know what happens :D

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Gvaz posted:

Look at it this way, if you install now and then upgrade tomorrow and it doesn't work out you will only have a day's worth of settings to redo :)

(I'd just wait)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Using 1920x1200 as my primary monitor, and "large" icons really are not excessive at all.
Even on my 1024x600 netbook large icons are fine.

ryo
Jan 15, 2003

The Noble Nobbler posted:

This is a notorious problem and people have solved it in a variety of ways, some which were arguably coincidental and not indicative of the real problem.

With my install problem, I noticed that it wasn't actually locking up completely because the dot progress indicator would move and then allow my mouse to move for that fraction of a second. I'm thinking it's some device driver conflict that is timing out.

I don't think changing your cable makes sense at all. It's either connected or it's not-- heavy activity doesn't make your cable any more or less connected than it was before.

Just out of curiosity--do you have an nforce chipset and perhaps a moderately old SATA drive with NCQ?

Chipset is GeForce MCP73 Series, the hard drive I'm trying to install to is a 250g Western Digital SATA drive that I bought perhaps 2 years ago.

Today I upgraded my BIOS to see if that made a difference, and now it doesn't even get to the expanding windows files part, it gets stuck on copying files!

noydb
Mar 23, 2007
I didn't see this in the faq anywhere, but can I use the same product key on two different computers? I want to install win7 on my macbook :) By the way, I'm absolutely loving windows 7. I've been using it for two months now. The only hitch I've had has been some random trouble with my Netgear wireless nic. Every now and then I have to uninstall it and reinstall the drivers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

noydb posted:

I didn't see this in the faq anywhere, but can I use the same product key on two different computers? I want to install win7 on my macbook :) By the way, I'm absolutely loving windows 7. I've been using it for two months now. The only hitch I've had has been some random trouble with my Netgear wireless nic. Every now and then I have to uninstall it and reinstall the drivers.

For the RC, yeah, there's only like 5 public keys, so most of us here are probably sharing.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
When I close windows media player with the X in the corner, it still is in my task manager, and if I closed it during a movie when I open it again it has the movie in the exact spot I left it... Is this a new feature? Or can I disable this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

noydb posted:

For the Release Candidate of Windows 7 you're fine, but the final will be one license, one computer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

fredor posted:

When I close windows media player with the X in the corner, it still is in my task manager, and if I closed it during a movie when I open it again it has the movie in the exact spot I left it... Is this a new feature? Or can I disable this?

If your mean it's on the taskbar, that's because it's pinned there. It's now a sort of combo quick launch and taskbar. If you don't want it there, you can unpin it.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Uh-oh. Apparently the pre-RC 7 builds expire in 3 days. Looks like I need to update this ol' laptop.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007

Dogen posted:

If your mean it's on the taskbar, that's because it's pinned there. It's now a sort of combo quick launch and taskbar. If you don't want it there, you can unpin it.

It's on the taskbar, but all my programs pinned there aren't running in task manager unless I click them open. Even when media player is closed, it's still in the task manager taking up lots of memory.

*edit

I delete it from my task manager, and within seconds it's back and running.

fredor fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 24, 2009

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
If I were to download the RC today, how long would I have to install and activate it? Because I'm going to put it on a computer I'm going to build, but won't be put together until next weekend.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

sexual rickshaw posted:

If I were to download the RC today, how long would I have to install and activate it? Because I'm going to put it on a computer I'm going to build, but won't be put together until next weekend.

It just gives you a product key when you download it, you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Quick question about XP Mode since I don't have the hardware to play with it on my system... does it provide an easy way to wipe/reinstall the base XP image it uses? Does it come preloaded, that is?