Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

immortalyawn posted:

Hello

I want to use a network cable to connect a Windows 8 Laptop to a WIndows XP PC. This is purely for playing old games with 2 people, like Neverwinter Nights/Duke 3D etc...

There is no internet or router or anything else. ethernet port to ethernet port.

Im sure something like this was pretty standard once...probably still is?

Does this "just work" these days, or is there something I need to know - Google searches are vague at best and give me various info from a vague Yes to...every other possibility imaginable...

If the answer is yes is there anything else I need to know to do it?,

Pretend I know nothing.

Thanks in advance.

I think unless both computers have a gigabit Ethernet port you'll need to use a crossover network cable. Otherwise that should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My grandma wants to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 8. She's a moderately savvy computer user, should I let her do it?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

immortalyawn posted:

Hello

I want to use a network cable to connect a Windows 8 Laptop to a WIndows XP PC. This is purely for playing old games with 2 people, like Neverwinter Nights/Duke 3D etc...

There is no internet or router or anything else. ethernet port to ethernet port.

Im sure something like this was pretty standard once...probably still is?

Does this "just work" these days, or is there something I need to know - Google searches are vague at best and give me various info from a vague Yes to...every other possibility imaginable...

Pretend I know nothing.

Thanks in advance.
If they're both on the same network (connected to the same internal router/switch), it should be enough really, and will give you the bonus of being able to sit and play with the computers anywhere in the house. You can play modern games that use a "real" (TCP/IP) network connection (just set up local servers), and for old games that use IPX (original Duke3D does I believe), you can use ipxemu to emulate IPX through a normal network connection.

In the case of Duke3D though, I would search for some of the many modern ports that have been made since the source code was released some years ago - there's bound to be a version that supports TCP/IP.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread about the lack of router. Still, how about buying a basic switch for like $20 just for the cause? That should be enough to setup a home network. I honestly don't know if you can just pop two computers together with a cable.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 15, 2013

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WYA posted:

My grandma wants to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 8. She's a moderately savvy computer user, should I let her do it?

Honestly as Windows 8 is right now I'd say it's probably best not to - stick with Windows 7 if she wants to get off Vista. Windows 8 may be improved as time progresses somewhat, but the Metro interface can be rather incompatible with non-touch machines.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly as Windows 8 is right now I'd say it's probably best not to - stick with Windows 7 if she wants to get off Vista. Windows 8 may be improved as time progresses somewhat, but the Metro interface can be rather incompatible with non-touch machines.

If it's Vista-era hardware, that means it's time to get new hardware. Don't keep an old laptop with 512MB of ram limping along in 2013. Get a new laptop. The new laptop will have Windows 8 and that will be fine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not everyone can just by a new machine on a whim. And upgrading from Vista to 7 is actually a lowering of hardware requirements, from most comparisons.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

GigaFuzz posted:

I think unless both computers have a gigabit Ethernet port you'll need to use a crossover network cable. Otherwise that should be fine.

The feature that allows Ethernet ports of the same type (MDI or MDIX) to negotiate being connected by a regular network cable is called Auto-MDIX, and, to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing specifically binding it to gigabit network interfaces - I imagine that even if that XP laptop only had 10/100, it would probably still be Auto-MDIX. The Ethernet port on the Win8 laptop will definitely be Auto-MDIX, and you only need one anyway.

Long story short, I don't think a crossover cable will be necessary.

immortalyawn posted:

If I were to be doing this myself, there's a couple of things I would do:
  • I'd disable the wireless adapters on both laptops, to rule out Windows being confused by having several networks to deal with.
  • You're probably going to want to set static IP addresses on both of the laptops. You familiar with doing this? Standard procedure would be to set them to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Default gateway and DNS servers not important.
Good luck!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

WYA posted:

Yes. Upgrading to 8 is trivial, and is a huge improvement on Vista. It will run better than vista if it runs (it might not run, 8 requires a newer motherboard/cpu standard).

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Tesseraction posted:

Not everyone can just by a new machine on a whim. And upgrading from Vista to 7 is actually a lowering of hardware requirements, from most comparisons.

If you have enough money to upgrade to Windows 8, you're a good step of the way to a new laptop that will almost certainly outperform hardware from 2006. And the OS comes with it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

I have a lot of programs pinned to my taskbar, and any number of them can be open or closed at any given moment, and for some reason it bugs some deep down, OCD part of my brain seeing randomly open and closed programs in no particular order on the taskbar.

Are there any programs that will, say, take a snapshot of where all the pinned programs are on the taskbar, then as I open them, move them around so all the open ones are grouped together, anchored next to the start button? Then when I close the programs, they'll go back to where they were before they were opened?

I'm on my cell phone but don't think anyone replied to you yet. Would you be happier getting rid of pins altogether and using the old quick launch? It sounds like what you're describing and it's what I've always preferred. I like knowing my icons are always in the exact same location and having new windows added to the right when I open them. If you wanna do it just Google windows 7 quick launch, its really easy.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
A question related to my earlier difficulties. If I use the Reset option on windows 8 I think it should blow away everything and start with basic windows right?

If so I have a copy of Office 2010 professional plus that I got free from working at a university. I no longer work there but I still have the license key, will that key work if I download Office 2010 from here?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx

EDIT: OK I entered my serial number into that website and it said that I was not eligible to download that item, which sucks. Is there any way to get hold of the right download? I just want to reinstall windows and keep my Office installation.

EDIT 2: I found the link below which claims to be pro plus, is there anyway to test my CD key works on it?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 16, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do you get windows explorer file properties dialog to show timestamps like this:

‎Monday, ‎May ‎27, ‎2013, ‏‎9:56:49 AM

and not like this:

about 3 days ago :smuggo:

Sometimes I get the good one and sometimes I get the :smuggo: one. I can't figure out how its deciding to show one or the other.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

davebo posted:

I'm on my cell phone but don't think anyone replied to you yet. Would you be happier getting rid of pins altogether and using the old quick launch? It sounds like what you're describing and it's what I've always preferred. I like knowing my icons are always in the exact same location and having new windows added to the right when I open them. If you wanna do it just Google windows 7 quick launch, its really easy.

That sounds like it could be one way to do things but I'd prefer to keep the pinned programs. I love their functionality. To me it seems like Windows 7 found the best functional combination of the Windows XP taskbar and the OSX doc with pinned taskbar programs, and I still haven't seen any solutions I like better for organizing what you've got running on your desktop.

To me, the way pinned programs work on the taskbar is perfect. I'm just kinda OCD about it and would prefer it if all opened programs would just slide over to the left-most area of the taskbar while everything unopened sits to the right of those opened programs, so you could easily tell at a glance everything you've got up and running. Then, ideally, when you close everything, all pinned programs would go back to their original placement and order.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 17, 2013

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What are most people using for firewall/antivirus? I used to use ESET, but I don't have a license anymore.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have the built in Windows 7 firewall and MSE for antivirus/malware. Though I've heard MSE is leaving something to be desired lately.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

crestfallen posted:

Though I've heard MSE is leaving something to be desired lately.

I usually don't white-knight AV, but you have to take AV-Test's methodology with a huge grain of salt when they deliberately don't let an AV product update it's definitions for 3 months prior to testing for "0-day malware".

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

WorkingStiff posted:

I usually don't white-knight AV, but you have to take AV-Test's methodology with a huge grain of salt when they deliberately don't let an AV product update it's definitions for 3 months prior to testing for "0-day malware".

Wait really? Whats the logic behind this?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait really? Whats the logic behind this?

Sounds like trying to emulate your average user to me :v:

In the time I've been using MSE I've never had any virus or other malicious software issues, with the disclaimer of the last infection I did have to deal with was Blaster and am generally quite safe with my internet usage.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey folks, if any of you are Trillian users who haven't been able to connect to Twiter for the past couple of days, there's a beta build Cerulean Studios just pushed out on their Twitter feed:

http://t.co/jasf5HnX4w

It should be getting an actual release in the next few days if you prefer waiting, but it totally fixed everything up for me.

(P.S. Trillian is probably the best Multi-IM/Social Media connector app there is these days. Heartily recommended! https://www.trillian.im/ )

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
RE: crossover ethernet cables. Buy a crossover adapter for a couple bucks and use your existing cables for the rare times you need this. The ones with a short piece of cable are better than the ones that plug right in.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

thebigcow posted:

RE: crossover ethernet cables. Buy a crossover adapter for a couple bucks and use your existing cables for the rare times you need this. The ones with a short piece of cable are better than the ones that plug right in.

Maybe I'm an idiot but I could have sworn modern NICs were smart enough to use regular cables as crossovers, despite the different pin configuration. I could swear I've done exactly that.

Basically, what Earl of Lavender said:

Earl of Lavender posted:

The feature that allows Ethernet ports of the same type (MDI or MDIX) to negotiate being connected by a regular network cable is called Auto-MDIX, and, to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing specifically binding it to gigabit network interfaces - I imagine that even if that XP laptop only had 10/100, it would probably still be Auto-MDIX. The Ethernet port on the Win8 laptop will definitely be Auto-MDIX, and you only need one anyway.

Long story short, I don't think a crossover cable will be necessary.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't know if this is the best place to ask this or not but I couldn't find a better place for it and didn't want to start my own thread.

I'm working at a real estate agency and one of the bosses today asked me to take this form:

and make a editable document on the computer with it. As it is now, it only exists as paper (god knows where the original file is). I began trying to do it in Excel but quickly gave up and moved over the Word. I felt like I was making progress, especially because I was trying to make it idiot-proof by making the empty fields the only editable thing in the document (basically turning it into a template). Where I ran into trouble was keeping everything in line. For example: when typing in a long field like an address, it would push the field to the right over further until it dropped down to the next line. Basically, I can't figure out how to keep everything where I want it and only have the entry fields stay a certain size.

I can try to explain this a different way if its confusing, or please feel free to redirect me to a better place to find the answer to this. I'm using MS Office 2010 on Win7.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a go-to app for Windows 7 to monitor the volume of network traffic going to different computers in a HomeGroup? I'm looking for something that would let me know when downloads are done on a computer without starting a remote session.

Does something like this exist?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mahoning posted:

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this or not but I couldn't find a better place for it and didn't want to start my own thread.

I'm working at a real estate agency and one of the bosses today asked me to take this form:

and make a editable document on the computer with it. As it is now, it only exists as paper (god knows where the original file is). I began trying to do it in Excel but quickly gave up and moved over the Word. I felt like I was making progress, especially because I was trying to make it idiot-proof by making the empty fields the only editable thing in the document (basically turning it into a template). Where I ran into trouble was keeping everything in line. For example: when typing in a long field like an address, it would push the field to the right over further until it dropped down to the next line. Basically, I can't figure out how to keep everything where I want it and only have the entry fields stay a certain size.

I can try to explain this a different way if its confusing, or please feel free to redirect me to a better place to find the answer to this. I'm using MS Office 2010 on Win7.

You can use tables in Word to keep alignment straight. Once you've got it laid out the way you want, you can turn off the borders and nobody would know it was a table otherwise.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot but I could have sworn modern NICs were smart enough to use regular cables as crossovers

This. I hate having crossover cables get mixed in with patch cables, but some modems still use them.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Mahoning posted:

Perhaps it's a long shot, but I know you can make an editable PDF-file where you can edit the fields etc. It will require your clients to use a PDF reader and you to use a PDF creator though.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Grawl posted:

Perhaps it's a long shot, but I know you can make an editable PDF-file where you can edit the fields etc. It will require your clients to use a PDF reader and you to use a PDF creator though.
PDF is probably the best way.
You can use something like http://www.pdfescape.com to create an editable version for free.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
New versions of even Adobe's PDF reader let you use the typewriter tool, and insert "signatures" on any PDF file.

Their reader loads much more quickly these days. I used to use alternate PDF readers but Adobe has won me back.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Earl of Lavender posted:

If I were to be doing this myself, there's a couple of things I would do:
  • I'd disable the wireless adapters on both laptops, to rule out Windows being confused by having several networks to deal with.
  • You're probably going to want to set static IP addresses on both of the laptops. You familiar with doing this? Standard procedure would be to set them to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Default gateway and DNS servers not important.
Good luck!

Is static addressing even necessary? The machines should be able to give themselves link-local addresses if they can't reach a DHCP server over the Ethernet connection.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Protocol7 posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot but I could have sworn modern NICs were smart enough to use regular cables as crossovers, despite the different pin configuration. I could swear I've done exactly that.

Basically, what Earl of Lavender said:

Some of us have old poo poo still in use :)

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

The Dark One posted:

Is static addressing even necessary? The machines should be able to give themselves link-local addresses if they can't reach a DHCP server over the Ethernet connection.

Yeah, APIPA will assign usable addresses, but I think it's helpful to know what they are in case you need to use a 'connect to a specific IP address' thing in a game.

thebigcow posted:

Some of us have old poo poo still in use :)

Of course - but in the context of immortalyawn running games between a WinXP and Win8 laptop, he doesn't need to worry about it.

Earl of Lavender fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 18, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since I switched to Chrome on my laptop, I've noticed that when I bookmark a page on it, the bookmark goes into the mobile bookmarks folder, instead of the regular one. How can I prevent that?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Assuming it's an actual Win/Lin/Mac laptop, it should be putting the link in the last place you put a link. Try saving it somewhere else.

Now if it's syncing that last bookmark save location with mobile devices as well, that's kind of silly (but consistent with Google Being Google).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Assuming it's an actual Win/Lin/Mac laptop, it should be putting the link in the last place you put a link. Try saving it somewhere else.

Now if it's syncing that last bookmark save location with mobile devices as well, that's kind of silly (but consistent with Google Being Google).

I didn't notice that there's a dropdown to choose the location :doh:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So what is a good solution for basically "locking down" a WinXP workstation so that people can only basically browse the web, use Word, and print?

I'm running out of ideas on how to get people to gently caress up the work computers after only a few months.

I know User permissions can accomplish alot, but I think I need to physically lock the out of any program other than Chrome and Word.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 31, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Gozinbulx posted:

So what is a good solution for basically "locking down" a WinXP workstation so that people can only basically browse the web, use Word, and print?

I'm running out of ideas on how to get people to gently caress up the work computers after only a few months.

I know User permissions can accomplish alot, but I think I need to physically lock the out of any program other than Chrome and Word.

Try the MS Shared Computer Toolkit. It can do all this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc507835.aspx

edit - Shared computer toolkit is an earlier version of Steadystate. Use that vvvvv

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 18, 2013

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape

Gozinbulx posted:

Microsoft's own SteadyState is no longer supported, but works fine on XP and Vista:

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-SteadyState/3000-18512_4-11127965.html

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
So, I'm considering the upgrade to 8.1 when it comes out, but I want to have the option to revert to 7 in case I absolutely hate it. I have my 7-Professional product key hidden away deep in my hard drive, under lock and key and armed guard, but I can't seem to find a legitimate Windows 7 Professional download anywhere. Is it even still possible to download it? I feel gypped.