Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tankadillo posted:

Is this a problem with my headset, Windows 8, my PC hardware, or all of the above? I used to have a crappy USB mic that didn't have this problem. Would a USB adapter possibly help?
Onboard audio inputs are notoriously crappy, among other things because they pick up electromagnetic interference from inside the computer case. Especially if the signal needs to be amplified as much as is the case with a mic. This is the most likely culprit.

Any usb audio interface, even the simple one that the Amazon page suggests as being bought fequently together with the headset is likely to offer a significant improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are there any free programs that open up .ps picture files? Irfanview gives a bunch of postscript errors. I tried an Acrobat plugin but that didn't help either.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Are there any free programs that open up .ps picture files? Irfanview gives a bunch of postscript errors. I tried an Acrobat plugin but that didn't help either.
Try an IrfanView plugin. A quick view on the plugins page - http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm - shows that there's a PostScript plugin (http://www.irfanview.info/files/iv_formats.zip)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pilsner posted:

Try an IrfanView plugin. A quick view on the plugins page - http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm - shows that there's a PostScript plugin (http://www.irfanview.info/files/iv_formats.zip)

Yeah I have all the plugins installed. I just get "decode errors" when opening the files.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Try Ghostscript Specifically, I'd try the ps2pdf program first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is MSE a mature viable replacement for a paid subscription AV service, or should I still look at one of the big name solutions? The context of this question is a "mom pc" for a friend that I pretty much never plan to touch again, and while I never really want to see this machine again I'd like for her to have some basic protection against dumb everyday stuff.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Martytoof posted:

Is MSE a mature viable replacement for a paid subscription AV service, or should I still look at one of the big name solutions? The context of this question is a "mom pc" for a friend that I pretty much never plan to touch again, and while I never really want to see this machine again I'd like for her to have some basic protection against dumb everyday stuff.

MSE is pretty much the least intrusive, lowest maintenance AV out there, but don't expect it to catch zero-day attacks as well as most competitors. Compared to Norton and McAfee, though, it's gold.

I would also invest in Secunia PSI. It will help keep stuff up to date with little intervention, which is pretty important to stop worms. AdBlock would also help a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Merci. She mentioned McAfee but I was kind of on the fence about installing it vs MSE. I'll check out the link, thanks!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a way to quickly open the folder locations of multiple searches in Explorer Search? I know I can select a bunch of folders and hit open new window, but the resulting new windows have that stupid god drat Search Results file path and not the actual file path.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

It looks like the A/V Arena subforum was closed at some point, so I figured this might be the best place to ask? I was wondering if anybody could give any suggestions for free software (for Windows 7) that could be used to merge subtitle files (.srt) with video files (.mkv/.mp4/.avi) into one single file?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MUFFlNS posted:

It looks like the A/V Arena subforum was closed at some point, so I figured this might be the best place to ask? I was wondering if anybody could give any suggestions for free software (for Windows 7) that could be used to merge subtitle files (.srt) with video files (.mkv/.mp4/.avi) into one single file?

Don't have an answer for you, but I think the A/V stuff just kinda merged into Inspect Your Gadgets.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I had no idea chrome could print to a PDF. I'm an idiot, thanks guys! It prints the whole page too and not just what's on my screen at the time - pretty nice

It would be nice if I could paste a thread URL and it'd convert the whole thread to a PDF but hey

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
SA Lastread for Chrome, or maybe Firefox, used to have an option where it would append the next page to the current page instead of reloading. I took a look and did not see that option any more though. :(

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MUFFlNS posted:

mkvmerge, part of the MKVtoolnix package. It can take a wide variety of inputs, although it will only output MKV files, not that there's a problem with that. An AVI can't contain subtitles anyway.

There's a GUI, and you can also run it through the commandline.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Small question:

Outlook 2010 has POP email set up for one address and also IMAP for Gmail.

I'd like to move all the inbox/sent items from Gmail into a local folder. I could set up POP for Gmail, but that will only retrieve the inbox - how do I retrieve the outbox too?

Is it something simple such s dragging from the IMAP outbox to the POP outbox for the gmail folders (or does that still refer to remote location - I can't tell with an individual message where it is located.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What would be preventing Windows 7 from sleeping? When I choose "Sleep" from the shut down menu, my screen goes black for a bit, but then resumes right away. I've run the powercfg -lastwake command, and the only thing that pops up is the power button.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

hooah posted:

What would be preventing Windows 7 from sleeping? When I choose "Sleep" from the shut down menu, my screen goes black for a bit, but then resumes right away. I've run the powercfg -lastwake command, and the only thing that pops up is the power button.
There was a thing about the Samsung SSD Toolkit software or whatever it's called doing this. I think it was Samsung, anyway. So if that applies to you, prevent it from running at startup and close it when you're done with it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm using Windows 8 and have Defender running and software update configured to occur immediately. I have UAC set to the highest setting. I use Internet Explorer as my primary browser and I have the Internet security zone set to the default Medium-high.

Since installing Windows 8 last year just after RTM, once every month or two, I browse suck down a trojan or virus that Defender can't clean and I end up just reverting my boot disk to a previous image. Today the web site that handed it out was Rolling Stone magazine.

With the exception of Defender (I used MSE), my Windows 7 configuration was identical and I never got a Trojan or virus.

(Besides using Internet Explorer) What on earth am I doing wrong?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

There was a thing about the Samsung SSD Toolkit software or whatever it's called doing this. I think it was Samsung, anyway. So if that applies to you, prevent it from running at startup and close it when you're done with it.

Yup, that was it. I'd previously set something to prevent it from waking the computer, but I guess that got overwritten when it updated.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Cheesus posted:

(Besides using Internet Explorer) What on earth am I doing wrong?

Shot in the dark: Java? But actually, how are you confident that it was the rolling stone website that was the infection?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Very confident. I believe it's one of the ad providers they use.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spog posted:

Small question:

I'd like to move all the inbox/sent items from Gmail into a local folder. I could set up POP for Gmail, but that will only retrieve the inbox - how do I retrieve the outbox too?

Is it something simple such s dragging from the IMAP outbox to the POP outbox for the gmail folders (or does that still refer to remote location - I can't tell with an individual message where it is located.

You can just make a PST and drag everything there, but that will just give you a "dead" archive of whatever you move.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Cheesus posted:

Very confident. I believe it's one of the ad providers they use.

Have you tried Adblock Plus?
https://adblockplus.org/

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

spog posted:

Small question:

If this is for backup purposes GM Vault might be a better solution

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Yup, that was it. I'd previously set something to prevent it from waking the computer, but I guess that got overwritten when it updated.

I guess I spoke too soon. It worked for a time, but isn't working any more. Samsung Magic isn't running anymore.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good webcam chat? I've heard terrible horrible things about Skype and was just curious what the alternatives were

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a good webcam chat? I've heard terrible horrible things about Skype and was just curious what the alternatives were

Decent question, honestly. I've used alternatives and they've all been a bit poo poo compared to Skype. So if there's a super amazing peer to peer one I'm missing out that actually uses the latest codecs and connects reliably, that'd be nice.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I asked this in the hardware thread, but it might be a software related problem so I will post here just in case.

I have an old HP mini notebook that I had issues with about a year ago, I put it away intending to try and fix it later but completely forgot about it. I pulled it out recently and figured I'd try to get it working. The original issue I had with the computer started about a year after I had it, with my computer acting as if the enter button, or left click was being pushed repeatedly. For example, I'd scroll over my firefox icon and dozens of windows would open and the process couldn't be stopped. I sent it in to be repaired but the issue would eventually begin again. I tried to reinstall XP using the disk and an eternal CD drive but for some reason the drive never worked with the cd--music cds and dvds worked fine. I forget when and why but the computer then began to display a disk read error. It was at this point I put it away.I turned the computer on today and it shows the normal HP screen with the normal F9 and F10 options, then it displays a screen that says “Please select the operating system to start,” and shows the following options:

1. Microsoft windows recovery console do not select this [debugger enabled]. If I choose this then “A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to
restart" comes up.
2. Microsoft windows XP home edition. If I choose this the computer starts fine. While I could simply use the computer by picking this option, there
is still the possibility that original issue of the constant clicking might start again, rendering the mini unusable.
3. Microsoft windows XP setup. If I choose this the disk read error message appears.
If I don’t choose any option it defaults to the disk read error.

If I press F8 I get the following screen:

I can boot in all three safe modes only if I choose XP home edition. Same thing with the last known configuration choice. I don’t know what the others mean so I haven’t tried them.

I ran a diagnostic on the hard drive and the memory and no errors turned up there. I tried running winnt32.exe but when it comes to restarting the computer the disk error shows up and the process doesn't continue once I get the OS going again. I ran rkill, combofix, and malwarebytes but there are no viruses or trojans on the computer. Any help on fixing one, or both issues would be appreciated. Since I've already written this thing off I won't be heartbroken if it isn't fixable. Figured I'd give it another shot before tossing it though.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

So I switched from AMD to Nvidia on my new rig, but the one thing I missed about Catalyst is that you can easily toggle the primary screen between two monitors with just a hotkey and I'm looking for an alternative. This is useful for me because I can easily switch to my 42' TV for gamepad gaming and then switch back to my monitor for KB+M. After looking around, Nvidia doesn't seem to have that option. I'm using Win + P right now, but it disables the second screen and I prefer to have both screens active.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Try one of the tools listed on this page:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/934274-freeware-alternative-list/

Search for "11-32" on the page and you get to a list.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Onboard audio inputs are notoriously crappy, among other things because they pick up electromagnetic interference from inside the computer case. Especially if the signal needs to be amplified as much as is the case with a mic. This is the most likely culprit.

Any usb audio interface, even the simple one that the Amazon page suggests as being bought fequently together with the headset is likely to offer a significant improvement.

That cheap USB adapter Amazon recommended did the trick! Lesson learned: always get USB headsets from now on.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Opera Bitch posted:

I have an old HP mini notebook that I had issues with about a year ago, I put it away intending to try and fix it later but completely forgot about it.
If I had to guess, there's a borked XP install on there from your previous attempt that failed due to the cd not reading properly in your cd drive. You then get the disk read error due to the cd drive not being connected anymore or not containing the XP setup disk.

Your best off trying the re-install again, choosing the option to format the disk while doing so. Maybe using another external drive or another copy of the XP disk.

This likely won't fix the clicking issue, but you could maybe use a usb mouse.

There's a tech support subforum, by the way, called Haus of Tech Support.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What is a good free or paid software that can copy (legally) DvD movies that have copyright or DRM poo poo?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

IT Guy posted:

What is a good free or paid software that can copy (legally) DvD movies that have copyright or DRM poo poo?

I've always used DVD Decrypter, since like a decade ago and it's always worked fine for me.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I assume this is the proper thread to ask this, please correct me if it should be somewhere else. Any recommendations for a free standalone IRC client for Windows 7? I've been using Pidgin for IRC and I like pretty much everything about it except that instead of sending multiple messages when I go over 250 characters in a message it just truncates to 250 and drops everything else. It's really annoying!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

I assume this is the proper thread to ask this, please correct me if it should be somewhere else. Any recommendations for a free standalone IRC client for Windows 7? I've been using Pidgin for IRC and I like pretty much everything about it except that instead of sending multiple messages when I go over 250 characters in a message it just truncates to 250 and drops everything else. It's really annoying!

Hexchat or mIRC.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to do a clean Win8 install on a new SSD, I haven't installed Win8 before and am still on Win7.

Can anyone offer any first-time configuration recommendations? any sort of install guides out there that recommend disabling/enabling particular services right from the get-go?

any considerations of things to setup right off the bat that I may overlook since I haven't done a clean install in 3 or 4 years?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

z06ck posted:

I've always used DVD Decrypter, since like a decade ago and it's always worked fine for me.

After DVD Decrypter didn't work for a couple of things, I switched to MakeMKV (free while it's in beta).

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

MMD3 posted:

I'm about to do a clean Win8 install on a new SSD, I haven't installed Win8 before and am still on Win7.

Can anyone offer any first-time configuration recommendations? any sort of install guides out there that recommend disabling/enabling particular services right from the get-go?

any considerations of things to setup right off the bat that I may overlook since I haven't done a clean install in 3 or 4 years?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

The upgrade option in the Windows 8 install is quite simple to use. You shouldn't need to change any options from the get-go, but maybe following the TweakGuide for Windows 8 will help. The first things I did were changing the power options and installing Classic Shell (if that's your thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

z06ck posted:

Earl of Lavender posted:

After DVD Decrypter didn't work for a couple of things, I switched to MakeMKV (free while it's in beta).

Awesome, I'll give them both a try, thanks.