Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Before when I was using 7000, I could move a window from one monitor to my other with a middle-click. All of a sudden I can't do it now on 7100. Google has been less than helpful so far, I'm just wondering if anyone else could do this before, and if they got it working again in later versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kapinga posted:

This was changed in Vista - with Vista the OS you were upgrading needed to be installed. It would be wise to assume that continues with 7.

EpicNemesis, that is probably exactly what you will have to do, but we shall see.

Fuuuck what a pain in the rear end. I don't want to have to re-install Vista just so I can format and re-install 7. I was hoping I'd just be able to use my CD key.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Do post 7100 versions bring anything really great to the table?

I can't run XP mode, so anything in that department is moot to me.

lebubu
May 17, 2008
Whenever I change my wallpaper, the transition animation sort of freezes and the new wallpaper is really, really bright for some reason (reminds me of Oblivion HDR and it literally hurts my eyes). The taskbar and everything else look fine though. This is a pretty recent problem (though I honestly can't tell exactly how recent because this is the first time I try to change my wallpaper in weeks); I tried googling but the only semi-relevant result (unless my search string was retarded) was a Yahoo Answers page where some dude just answers with "use one of the walls that came with windows, they're not that bright".

Any idea what could be causing this? I don't want to re-start my computer whenever I change my wallpaper. Running build 7100.

lebubu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 1, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Looks like build 7264 is out in both 32- and 64-bit versions.

Goddamn, I wish this would RTM already.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
That one apparently has a huge bug that makes you lose data and stuff tho, thats why it's not the RTM. D:

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

univbee posted:

Looks like build 7264 is out in both 32- and 64-bit versions.

Goddamn, I wish this would RTM already.
Stay far, far away from this build.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I downloaded the RC and set it up on my laptop, and now want to get it running on the HTPC. What are my options for getting another key? Should I just setup a second, useless Live ID...or will my original key work on a second computer?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

EC posted:

I downloaded the RC and set it up on my laptop, and now want to get it running on the HTPC. What are my options for getting another key? Should I just setup a second, useless Live ID...or will my original key work on a second computer?

Your original key will work on as many computers as you can get your hands on. There's like 5-10 keys that everyone who signs up for the RC get.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I guess people want something to read while installing their two copies of Windows 7?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SecretFire posted:

I guess people want something to read while installing their two copies of Windows 7?

Dan Brown?

I hold no hope for the future.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kapinga posted:

Your original key will work on as many computers as you can get your hands on. There's like 5-10 keys that everyone who signs up for the RC get.

Thanks!

So I'm on my 5th attempt at installing W7 on my HTPC. It goes through the setup process, reboots, then gets back to the setup screen and attempts to finish installation. It then reboots, gives me the "Windows was not able to shutdown" prompt, and then gets into a reboot cycle if I start Windows normally. It doesn't get back to the finish installation screen, just reboots.

The first time this happened, I found a cable blocking the CPU fan, so I chalked it up to the CPU overheating and auto-shutting down. Unfortunately the problem kept happening after. I removed or disabled any non-core components (onboard LAN, audio, etc) when I could get to the setup screen in Safe Mode (I get a message that Windows cannot be installed in Safe Mode, though, but that made me think it could be a driver issue).

I'm running a E6550, 2GB RAM, and this motherboard. I neglected to run the upgrade adviser app on the box before removing the hard drive, but I figured since it updated my Dell laptop from Vista without any problems, this would be a cakewalk.

What are some additional troubleshooting steps? Does the installer have a log file I can look at?

Edit: This guy had the same problem and the same graphic chipset, and seems to have solved it by switching to a VGA connection. Going to try it out and see what happens...

EC fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 1, 2009

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Gvaz posted:

That one apparently has a huge bug that makes you lose data and stuff tho, thats why it's not the RTM. D:

Does anyone know exactly what this bug is? Something like the one from the original beta that corrupted mp3s, or something that fucks the partition table when you install? I've done some googling, but all I can find is "bug that causes data loss" which could be anything from mildly annoying to aw gently caress my computer's dead.

Fehler
Dec 14, 2004

Does anybody know when the promo upgrades are gonna be available in Europe and what the pricing will be? Would it make sense to just buy a US version right now? Or am I gonna have trouble getting that shipped here then?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

LooseChanj posted:

Does anyone know exactly what this bug is? Something like the one from the original beta that corrupted mp3s, or something that fucks the partition table when you install? I've done some googling, but all I can find is "bug that causes data loss" which could be anything from mildly annoying to aw gently caress my computer's dead.

I don't know exactly, just that it's a "showstopper bug with data corruption" v:shobon:v

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Gvaz posted:

I don't know exactly, just that it's a "showstopper bug with data corruption" v:shobon:v

Something like the mp3 bug from the beta would probably fall into this category. So would corrupting the MFT when you install on a Dell or something. That's why "showstopper bug with data corruption" is a pretty useless gauge of severity.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EC posted:

Edit: This guy had the same problem and the same graphic chipset, and seems to have solved it by switching to a VGA connection. Going to try it out and see what happens...

So switching to VGA got the install to complete, but it still hard reboots if the DVI connection is present. Installing new drivers from Nvidia now (wow 100mb drivers awesome).

I vaguely remember hearing about Nvidia problems during the initial Vista release, is this another version of that? Or should I direct my nerd-rage at Microsoft? :)

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

EC posted:

So switching to VGA got the install to complete, but it still hard reboots if the DVI connection is present. Installing new drivers from Nvidia now (wow 100mb drivers awesome).

I vaguely remember hearing about Nvidia problems during the initial Vista release, is this another version of that? Or should I direct my nerd-rage at Microsoft? :)

Nvidia drivers are working just swimmingly for me.

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003

Fehler posted:

Does anybody know when the promo upgrades are gonna be available in Europe and what the pricing will be? Would it make sense to just buy a US version right now? Or am I gonna have trouble getting that shipped here then?
Pre-ordering begins on July 16th (£50 for Home, £100 for Pro) and it's the full version, as Microsoft says it can't prepare an upgrade version of 7E by October.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Full Circle posted:

Nvidia drivers are working just swimmingly for me.

Yep, updating worked fine. :D Now to reconfigure XBMC, EventGhost, and a ton of other poo poo I probably forgot about.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

I've only read the OP not the entire thread, but has anyone had any luck getting a classic xbox controller to work in 7? XBCD sort of installs, but it ALWAYS complains about the driver not being signed, and I ask to install it anyway but still no love.

I even found some program that claimed to self sign the driver and put me in TEST mode, but that was also a bust.

As I have pre-ordered SFIV on steam, I really need this fixed soon guys, I was being lazy before but now its important!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

roadhead posted:

I've only read the OP not the entire thread, but has anyone had any luck getting a classic xbox controller to work in 7? XBCD sort of installs, but it ALWAYS complains about the driver not being signed, and I ask to install it anyway but still no love.

I even found some program that claimed to self sign the driver and put me in TEST mode, but that was also a bust.

As I have pre-ordered SFIV on steam, I really need this fixed soon guys, I was being lazy before but now its important!

You could just buy a 360 controller? They're superior in basically every way and like $20 for a 3rd party version.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
Is there seriously no way to disable "Always on top" on the taskbar? I really dont like the Autohide option :(

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I know this is a stupid question but is it possible to dual-boot the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same hard drive but on different partitions?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

spasticColon posted:

I know this is a stupid question but is it possible to dual-boot the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same hard drive but on different partitions?

Technically I think it's doable. But legally you will need two separate licences. Of course this doesn't matter for the RC, but the final version will require two licences.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm just talking about the RC for now. I'll go ahead and try it on my laptop and hope nothing breaks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've been trying to start putting my computer in standby when I'm not using it, but it will randomly wake itself up in like 20 or 30 minutes. I have turned off all the wake up on ... settings in BIOS. What the gently caress is making it wake up anyway? Shouldn't it only wake up if I hit the power button now?

Generic Superhero
Nov 9, 2000

You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.

spasticColon posted:

Along similar lines, I could not find this info anywhere. The Upgrade disc includes both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Win7, but if all I have is a 32bit Vista key, can I still install 64bit Win7 in a clean install?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Generic Superhero posted:

Along similar lines, I could not find this info anywhere. The Upgrade disc includes both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Win7, but if all I have is a 32bit Vista key, can I still install 64bit Win7 in a clean install?

Shouldn't matter. I only got a Vista 32-bit key and have used the same key to install the 64-bit version without problems.

In fact when you had to send away for 64-bit media, they would only send you a disc, you were supposed to use your Vista key, so I guess they are interchangeable.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Dogen posted:

I've been trying to start putting my computer in standby when I'm not using it, but it will randomly wake itself up in like 20 or 30 minutes. I have turned off all the wake up on ... settings in BIOS. What the gently caress is making it wake up anyway? Shouldn't it only wake up if I hit the power button now?

Does it wake up on mouse movement?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Dogen posted:

Go to Network and sharing center > change adapter settings > right click properties for your adapter > hit configure > power management tab > uncheck allow this device to wake my computer.

Edit: VVVV This defaults to on for some screwed up reason, and is the source of most people's random computer waking. And most routers will send out an ARP request every 15 minutes or so, which times well with Dogen's complaint. powercfg -lastwake is the next step, sometimes it can be very cryptic.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 2, 2009

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Dogen posted:

Don't start disabling stuff randomly - figure out what exactly woke the system:

code:
powercfg -lastwake
Should tell you why the system woke up, then you can turn off that component's ability to wake it up instead of just guessing.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

You could just buy a 360 controller? They're superior in basically every way and like $20 for a 3rd party version.

How is a 360 controller that I will have to buy "superior in every way" ? They moved the black and white buttons to a less desirable position for Street Fighter playing!

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

roadhead posted:

How is a 360 controller that I will have to buy "superior in every way" ? They moved the black and white buttons to a less desirable position for Street Fighter playing!

I don't know about street fighter, but the button's were replaced with back and start, and placed in an easier to reach spot. My opinion of course, but without a doubt it's an awesomely designed computer.

Also I went to sleep and so did windows 7, waking up in about 2 seconds to a mouse shake :3:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

roadhead posted:

1 It actually works and is officially supported and wireless.

2 SF4 is an actual 360 game so the controls are gonna work out better

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Possible 3 License Family Pack for Home Premium

quote:

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

big mean giraffe posted:

1 It actually works and is officially supported and wireless.

2 SF4 is an actual 360 game so the controls are gonna work out better

Do you need an adapter to get the wireless controller to work or is there something simple that I never tried? I always just used a wired controller, 10$ cheaper too if you're using it just for the PC.

No one answered my question earlier so I guess its a no but: Is there a patch out to make the "build 7100" watermark on the bottom right of the desktop go away like there was for build 7000?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

No one answered my question earlier so I guess its a no but: Is there a patch out to make the "build 7100" watermark on the bottom right of the desktop go away like there was for build 7000?

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a dick, but how is this such a big deal that you need to ask the thread twice but won't go through the effort of trying Google?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=remove+%22build+7100%22+watermark

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fancy_Lad posted:

Don't start disabling stuff randomly - figure out what exactly woke the system:

code:
powercfg -lastwake
Should tell you why the system woke up, then you can turn off that component's ability to wake it up instead of just guessing.

Awesome, thanks. I'll turn it off in a little while and then let it wake back up, should only take 20 or 30 minutes to figure out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I was chatting online with Dell Service Tech Support today and the dude found out I was using W7 RC and he couldn't stop raving about how awesome he thought the OS was, turns out it's pretty legit after all.

Still loving this, can't wait to receive the retail version in October!