Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacNerd
Jun 28, 2009

by Ozma
Wow thank you for this post. I will be installing on my iMac Core2Duo tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Gvaz posted:

Suddenly now when I play a game windows 7 hardlocks on me, to the point where I can't move the mouse, no sound, no anything. So I reset and tried again, still did it after a while of playing. When I went to turn on the computer the 2nd time, it got to the login screen, I got a black screen with a mouse.

What do you think could be causing my computer to hardlock? I was running an old age of empires clone, so it's not over heating my CPU I think, plus it would restart if that's the case.

Out of curiosity, what game? It's been doing this randomly for Left 4 Dead for me. I set mat_queue_mode 0 on my console, and that seemed to have worked.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Casull posted:

Out of curiosity, what game? It's been doing this randomly for Left 4 Dead for me. I set mat_queue_mode 0 on my console, and that seemed to have worked.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - Clone Wars (a mouthful but essentially Aoe1 with star wars, since it has none of Conqueror's perks)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LooseChanj posted:

Looks like this post is what got the rumor mill grinding.

So the guy copying stuff over his network to an OCd machine manages to kill his RAID10 setup blames Windows 7? Am I reading that correctly? :P

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Stanley Pain posted:

So the guy copying stuff over his network to an OCd machine manages to kill his RAID10 setup blames Windows 7? Am I reading that correctly? :P

Pretty much.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LooseChanj posted:

Pretty much.

I guess his 2hr prime "stable" OC isn't actually stable. :twisted:

Another good question to ask would be why do the majority of people who OC come off as illiterate retards? I mean a lot of the "pro" OCing community folk are not native English speakers so that's forgivable, but the rest of them must be like 13 year olds or something.

In other news my short-stroked HDs boot Win 7 in under 12 seconds, on a heavily OC'd q6600 :xd:

Tetrodotoxin
Jul 6, 2009
Seems this is my first post to SA (did not find an "Introduction" section) so, Hello!

Anyways, I would like to ask someone that subscribes to Technet if you have heard or read about a Microsoft sort of roadshow where they will be featuring Windows 7 and also a demonstration of the new Microsoft Office 2010.

Apparently in this roadshow they will be giving the chance of attendees of purchasing a voucher to get any edition of Windows 7 with a very hefty discount of up to 70% (according to the version).

I would apreciate any information regarding this.

And as far as my experience with Windows 7 goes, it has been extremely good and the system appears stable even under heavy load.
The only thing I found annoying amongst others, was the Homegroup having so little settings that does not allow you to fully configure it properly. Perhaps a bug ?
Or if someone sucessfuly managed for it to work, would be nice some feedback.

Thanks!

Tetrodotoxin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 6, 2009

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2013

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tetrodotoxin posted:

Seems this is my first post to SA (did not find an "Introduction" section) so, Hello!

Anyways, I would like to ask someone that subscribes to Technet if you have heard or read about a Microsoft sort of roadshow where they will be featuring Windows 7 and also a demonstration of the new Microsoft Office 2010.

Apparently in this roadshow they will be giving the chance of attendees of purchasing a voucher to get any edition of Windows 7 with a very hefty discount of up to 70% (according to the version).

I would apreciate any information regarding this.

And as far as my experience with Windows 7 goes, it has been extremely good and the system appears stable even under heavy load.
The only thing I found annoying amongst others, was the Homegroup having so little settings that does not allow you to fully configure it properly. Perhaps a bug ?
Or if someone sucessfuly managed for it to work, would be nice some feedback.

Thanks!

-Tetrodotoxin

Like Mensur said, don't sign your posts.

Haven't heard anything about the TechNet roadshow, but your TechNet subscription actually gives you licenses to Windows 7, and just about every other piece of Microsoft software out there.

Tetrodotoxin
Jul 6, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Like Mensur said, don't sign your posts.

Haven't heard anything about the TechNet roadshow, but your TechNet subscription actually gives you licenses to Windows 7, and just about every other piece of Microsoft software out there.

Thanks Stanley and Mensur. I posted after carefully reading the rules, and did not find any mention to it, but will adhere to the tip. ;)

Yes it is true that the Technet subscription gives you the licences, but what I meant was that there will be a roadshow ( I think the Technet roadshow is only for subscribers, which wont need the discount anyways) that is for the general public, though with limited seating and pre-booking reservations.

Unfortunately I do not have the magazine with the article anymore, but from what I understood there would be such an event closer to the release of the OS.
Googling brings me no luck either so I thought I'd ask around.

Cheers for the reply though!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Noticing some strange errors in Windows Media Player. Audio files appear to be fine, however when trying to play xvid files, they play for around 14 minutes before it crashes, saying it's encountered an error (C00D11B1). The files run fine in media player classic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stanley Pain posted:

Another good question to ask would be why do the majority of people who OC come off as illiterate retards? I mean a lot of the "pro" OCing community folk are not native English speakers so that's forgivable, but the rest of them must be like 13 year olds or something.

My guess is that grownups who want to up performance buy a better processor, or more rarely one that's actually good for overclocking. The 13 year old retards are stuck with what mommy bought and have no option to increase performance other than OCing, which they inevitably gently caress up because 13 year olds suck at careful planning. Then they bitch on the internet 24/7 because they don't have jobs or enough homework, while the non retards keep to themselves or ask for advice somewhere where they won't be responded to by 13 year olds. :chord:

On an unrelated note, who the gently caress bought :negative: and what is it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My guess is that grownups who want to up performance buy a better processor, or more rarely one that's actually good for overclocking. The 13 year old retards are stuck with what mommy bought and have no option to increase performance other than OCing, which they inevitably gently caress up because 13 year olds suck at careful planning. Then they bitch on the internet 24/7 because they don't have jobs or enough homework, while the non retards keep to themselves or ask for advice somewhere where they won't be responded to by 13 year olds. :chord:

On an unrelated note, who the gently caress bought :negative: and what is it.

In the vein of even more massive thread derailment, negativeman to the rescue! :negative: as soon as he picks himself up that is.

In further news, I installed Win 7 on a work computer (1.8GHz c2d, 1GB of RAM) and it runs significantly better than XP. Now if I could just get our security dept. to actually sanction this as a legit install :D. For now I'll just stick with reducing the graphics fluff to XP levels so that my co-workers don't ooooh and aaahh too loudy.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rabo Karabekian posted:

In Canada it's $65 CAD, whereas $50 USD is only about $58 CAD. If shipping isn't a problem, you could have a friend ship it to you. My boyfriend is American, so he'll just send it in a care-package for me.

Holy crazy Microsoft pricing, Canada Man. Or Woman.

Getting a US friend to ship it is a nice idea though, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stanley Pain posted:

For now I'll just stick with reducing the graphics fluff to XP levels so that my co-workers don't ooooh and aaahh too loudy.
Don't turn off Aero completely (you can turn off the transparency though) - it will perform better.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Anyone had this problem?

Just installed win7 7100 everything works awesome, Arma 2 runs a charm etc, however when i try to play warhammer online after i hit play form the patcher I get WAR.exe - Application error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) Click OK to close the application.

Very frustrating as Im unable to find anyone else with google who has had the same problem, been fiddling with drivers, reinstalling war etc, nothings worked so far :(

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Not having used Vista I think I missed a big change:
Is it true that EAX effects don't work since Vista because Microsoft did something that is good for security / stability but bad for ... sound effects in games?

Is there a fix to get that stuff working besides buying an X-Fi soundcard? (currently I'm using my P5B's onboard sound...)

My current problem is that I get perfect 5.1 sound out of my amp when I'm playing a movie but games only produce 2.1

Warthog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 7, 2009

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Warthog posted:

Is it true that EAX effects don't work since Vista because Microsoft did something that is good for security / stability but bad for ... sound effects in games?

Is there a fix to get that stuff working besides buying an X-Fi soundcard? (currently I'm using my P5B's onboard sound...)

My current problem is that I get perfect 5.1 sound out of my amp when I'm playing a movie but games only produce 2.1

Vista redid the audio stack and got rid of hardware accelerated audio. Games are using OpenAL for that stuff now I think.

But EAX would never have worked on a Asus p5b, I have one and it never did, or it was eax v1.0 and all it added was massive reverb.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
How much ram do I need to make Windows decently fast ? 2, 3 or 4 gb ? It doesn't quite work with 1 as I currently have.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I ran it with two on my old computer and it ran well. Not great, but it was still better than XP ran.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think something got randomly added into Windows Media Player 12. In the Playlist menu, it lists a "Recent 5" there which hasn't been there before. It doesn't seem to play anything and it can't be renamed or deleted.

Does anyone else have this?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Spatule posted:

How much ram do I need to make Windows decently fast ? 2, 3 or 4 gb ? It doesn't quite work with 1 as I currently have.

Nowadays it's ideal to have at least 2GB, but 4GB is optimal and isn't that much more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spatule posted:

Every computer should have at least 2 GB now, and if you have the meager amount of money necessary to go beyond 2 there's no reason not to do it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jigoku San posted:

Vista redid the audio stack and got rid of hardware accelerated audio. Games are using OpenAL for that stuff now I think.

But EAX would never have worked on a Asus p5b, I have one and it never did, or it was eax v1.0 and all it added was massive reverb.

Most recent games just use software audio processing since it's barely a blip on a modern CPU, is completely cross platform and isn't locked into a single vendor for decent support.

The uproar when all the 16 year olds found out their Creative Mega Platinum Fatal-One-Ty X-Fi cards wouldn't do anything special under Vista was pretty funny though.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Warthog posted:

When playing older non-OpenAL games you should download ALchemy off creative's website. It will patch older games so their 5.1 sound will work in vista.

I am loving glad that EAX2.0 and others are dead. It's really one of the best changes with vista and win7.

EDIT: I am a retard.

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 7, 2009

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

Bonobos posted:

Shouldn't matter. I only got a Vista 32-bit key and have used the same key to install the 64-bit version without problems.

In fact when you had to send away for 64-bit media, they would only send you a disc, you were supposed to use your Vista key, so I guess they are interchangeable.

I am thinking about the same thing right now.

I am developing some sort of tumor over Windows 7 and the predicament I'm in. Currently I have a 32bit os win7 RC running on my laptop which, in my opinion, is just flat out amazing. I am about to build a new computer in two weeks with a Q9550 in it and a lot of other nice goodies. I'm planning on putting win7 64bit on it. Now I'm thinking ahead to Oct 22nd. My laptop is an HP, came with XP but was given a Vista upgrade CD. I have no real legitimate windows vista or xp cd keys. I may manage to get an XP one but it may be 32 bit. Would it matter what it is as long as it installs partially so I can upgrade it to 7? I'm trying to figure this all out while the deals are on for the upgrades because I really want to save as much as I can since I'm still a poor college student but feel the need to put a legit version of win7 on my computers not only because I really want more secure updates when they become available (Genuine Advantage) but sorta to pay some sort of respect to Microsoft for finally getting something right after all these years.

(I just saw this on the Microsoft Store)
" * Running earlier versions?
* If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications."

So that makes me think that putting XP on my new machine will result in a actual full version Windows 7 upgrade since it is basically going on completely clean.

What do you guys think I'm tired of having a conversation with myself, I'm sure a lot of you are thinking around these lines.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ignited posted:

I am thinking about the same thing right now.

I am developing some sort of tumor over Windows 7 and the predicament I'm in. Currently I have a 32bit os win7 RC running on my laptop which, in my opinion, is just flat out amazing. I am about to build a new computer in two weeks with a Q9550 in it and a lot of other nice goodies. I'm planning on putting win7 64bit on it. Now I'm thinking ahead to Oct 22nd. My laptop is an HP, came with XP but was given a Vista upgrade CD. I have no real legitimate windows vista or xp cd keys. I may manage to get an XP one but it may be 32 bit. Would it matter what it is as long as it installs partially so I can upgrade it to 7? I'm trying to figure this all out while the deals are on for the upgrades because I really want to save as much as I can since I'm still a poor college student but feel the need to put a legit version of win7 on my computers not only because I really want more secure updates when they become available (Genuine Advantage) but sorta to pay some sort of respect to Microsoft for finally getting something right after all these years.

(I just saw this on the Microsoft Store)
" * Running earlier versions?
* If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications."

So that makes me think that putting XP on my new machine will result in a actual full version Windows 7 upgrade since it is basically going on completely clean.

What do you guys think I'm tired of having a conversation with myself, I'm sure a lot of you are thinking around these lines.

If you have an XP license the upgrade will work but you will basically be doing a clean install, from what MS has said.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm running 7100 and I have to say, I really enjoy the general user experience however I've run into the following 2 problems.

1: Games run like poo poo.
2: Videos (both on the HD and streamed in my browser ala youtube) run like poo poo.

My system spec is as follows (until I can afford to upgrade some more)
CPU: Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI (with latest drivers & BIOS updates)
Optical Drive: Memorex MRX-530L
RAM: 2GB (mismatched, one's a Kingston PC2-4300@266 and one's an Apacer PC2-5300@333)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB with the Vista/Win7 168.18 drivers
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio onboard (R105155 drivers)
OS HDD: Seagate Barracuda - ST3808110AS - 80GB NTFS
Secondary HDD: Maxtor MaXline Pro - 7H500F0 - 500GB NTFS

I also installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and that didn't help, video-wise.

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 7, 2009

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm havig totally random bluescreens (one every few days). How do I diagnose the culprit ?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm running 7100 and I have to say, I really enjoy the general user experience however I've run into the following 2 problems.

1: Games run like poo poo.
2: Videos (both on the HD and streamed in my browser ala youtube) run like poo poo.

My system spec is as follows (until I can afford to upgrade some more)
CPU: Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI (with latest drivers & BIOS updates)
Optical Drive: Memorex MRX-530L
RAM: 2GB (mismatched, one's a Kingston PC2-4300@266 and one's an Apacer PC2-5300@333)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB with the Vista/Win7 168.18 drivers
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio onboard (R105155 drivers)
OS HDD: Seagate Barracuda - ST3808110AS - 80GB NTFS
Secondary HDD: Maxtor MaXline Pro - 7H500F0 - 500GB NTFS

I also installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and that didn't help, video-wise.

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

Well, first thing I notice is your terrible, mismatched, slow as gently caress RAM. That may be an issue.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

Well, first thing I notice is your terrible, mismatched, slow as gently caress RAM. That may be an issue.

Yeah I've been wondering about that being a bottleneck of sorts because it's mismatched and, as you said, slow as gently caress. Any recommendations on that front? I thought Kingston were supposed to be a decent brand but I've had this RAM for years now.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

If you have an XP license the upgrade will work but you will basically be doing a clean install, from what MS has said.

So I may have an old laptop with an xp key on the bottom - any chance that will work on a desktop if I download a XP ISO?

MyLttlePwny
Jul 6, 2009

Ignited posted:

So I may have an old laptop with an xp key on the bottom - any chance that will work on a desktop if I download a XP ISO?

This will probably work, though you will want to make sure you match it up with the right version (xp home/xp pro), and I've heard there are some occasional cases where keys for pre-upgraded SP2 installs weren't working for vanilla xp installs.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008
What do you mean? My if I have an XP home key that Windows 7 will only allow Home Premium? This laptop I think was only made around the time of SP1 XP... its oldddd.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Sorry if this has been asked before, but has there been any announcement on what OEM pricing is going to be? All I can seem to find are retail prices, and gently caress paying full retail price for a nicer box.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CitrusFrog posted:

Yeah I've been wondering about that being a bottleneck of sorts because it's mismatched and, as you said, slow as gently caress. Any recommendations on that front? I thought Kingston were supposed to be a decent brand but I've had this RAM for years now.

Overall your system isn't that great for playing most modern games :|

What games are you trying to play?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ignited posted:

What do you mean? My if I have an XP home key that Windows 7 will only allow Home Premium? This laptop I think was only made around the time of SP1 XP... its oldddd.

No, just make sure the key you have matches the version of XP that you download. Windows 7 doesn't give a poo poo which version of XP you have.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

Codec packs are usually the spawn of Satan.

Try installing Media Player Classic Homecinema and see if running a video with it helps. It's also available in 64-bit.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Media Player Classic-HC 64 bit resolves some framerate issues on .mkv files in Windows 7 as well, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ibroxmassive posted:

Media Player Classic-HC 64 bit resolves some framerate issues on .mkv files in Windows 7 as well, at least for me.

Especially when you use the EVR output option. It'll default to using DXVA which offloads the decoding to your GPU.