Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Spatule posted:

Well that sucks. Any reason it got removed ?

He means the place for suggesting stuff, and it got removed because there's not time for new poo poo at this point presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Trying to use the onboard sound on a GA-MA770-UD3 in the RC, and it refuses to use any playback device except the digital out. I have headphones plugged into the back green jack.

I've tried the AC'97 drivers (didn't install correctly) and the latest HD Audio drivers from both Gigabyte's and Realtek's site, and it still greys out my analog outputs everywhere claiming that there's nothing plugged in. What the hell am I doing wrong?

jjay
Jun 7, 2004
When in doubt, try harder

Spatule posted:

Are you using Stardock Fences ?

No

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mierdaan posted:

Trying to use the onboard sound on a GA-MA770-UD3 in the RC, and it refuses to use any playback device except the digital out. I have headphones plugged into the back green jack.

I've tried the AC'97 drivers (didn't install correctly) and the latest HD Audio drivers from both Gigabyte's and Realtek's site, and it still greys out my analog outputs everywhere claiming that there's nothing plugged in. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Try disabling the one you don't want to use. I've had to do this in XP even on machines where multiple output or input devices reside on the same physical piece of hardware (mic and line-in through the same port, etc). You should be able to then enable the one you do want to use and it will activate itself as the default.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How does windows upgrade know you already own a previous version of windows if doing a clean install? For instance, if I already own Vista and purchase a copy of Win7 upgrade and decide to do a clean install, will the Win7 installer somehow require me to verify that I owned a previous copy of windows? Surely they enforce the lower price of the upgrade somehow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaocaholica posted:

How does windows upgrade know you already own a previous version of windows if doing a clean install? For instance, if I already own Vista and purchase a copy of Win7 upgrade and decide to do a clean install, will the Win7 installer somehow require me to verify that I owned a previous copy of windows? Surely they enforce the lower price of the upgrade somehow.

You have to start the Upgrade install in a running copy of Windows XP or Vista. After it starts you can choose to wipe the computer and do a clean install.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

You have to start the Upgrade install in a running copy of Windows XP or Vista. After it starts you can choose to wipe the computer and do a clean install.

You sure ? In the past it would just verify the previous media or serial number.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

AlexDeGruven posted:

Try disabling the one you don't want to use. I've had to do this in XP even on machines where multiple output or input devices reside on the same physical piece of hardware (mic and line-in through the same port, etc). You should be able to then enable the one you do want to use and it will activate itself as the default.

I tried that before, just tried it again. No luck, I still can't enable the analog outs even with the digital disabled.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spatule posted:

You sure ? In the past it would just verify the previous media or serial number.

Microsoft changed the rules for 7.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

fishmech posted:

Microsoft changed the rules for 7.
So does this mean a few years down the road if I want to wipe my Windows 7 computer and do a clean re-install, or I get a new HDD and want to start anew, I need to re-install my old XP, then install 7 on top of it?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

that one guy posted:

So does this mean a few years down the road if I want to wipe my Windows 7 computer and do a clean re-install, or I get a new HDD and want to start anew, I need to re-install my old XP, then install 7 on top of it?

Yes, which is why I'm waiting to buy a full OEM copy instead of the upgrade because installing an OS on top of ANOTHER OS kinda ruins the whole "squeaky-clean" feel of a re-format like I want.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Martel posted:

Yes, which is why I'm waiting to buy a full OEM copy instead of the upgrade because installing an OS on top of ANOTHER OS kinda ruins the whole "squeaky-clean" feel of a re-format like I want.

You can use an upgrade disc to do a clean install, you just have to be able to start it off in the old os.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Charles Martel posted:

That's what I was going to do but at 4x (or 3x for pro) the cost, I'm fine with installing vista/xp first.

I have an upgrade version of 32bit (is there 64) xp, I just need to install it normally (having to put the full version of 98 in to verify I have a full version of windows) and then can do a clean install of 7 64bit as if xp was never there, right?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

That's what I was going to do but at 4x (or 3x for pro) the cost, I'm fine with installing vista/xp first.

I have an upgrade version of 32bit (is there 64) xp, I just need to install it normally (having to put the full version of 98 in to verify I have a full version of windows) and then can do a clean install of 7 64bit as if xp was never there, right?

Yes. In fact XP cannot be upgraded in place to 7 (i.e. its always a clean install).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

I know this has been asked to death and back, but I want to be sure:

If I bought an upgrade disc, could I install Vista without entering a product key and immediately install the Windows 7 upgrade disc immediately after that...? If so, I think I could stand to save that much.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Can anybody confirm that if you buy and use the upgrade it forces you to use the same partition as your previous windows installation? My XP boot hard drive is a relic from the 90's, and I really would rather have it on one of my newer drives.

In that case would I have to get the full version so I could just install straight from boot and choose where I want it?

I'm thinking I should get the full version anyway though because I think I only have upgrade editions of windows all the way back to ME, and I don't relish the thought of having to do chain installs.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Charles Martel posted:

I know this has been asked to death and back, but I want to be sure:

If I bought an upgrade disc, could I install Vista without entering a product key and immediately install the Windows 7 upgrade disc immediately after that...? If so, I think I could stand to save that much.

We think so. Nothing is 100% though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For what it's worth, based on my past dealings with them in various regions, Amazon does NOT charge until the product ships, and I think if there's a problem with your credit card at that time (insufficient funds, expired card etc.) you're given a window of opportunity to make corrections, either by re-processing the card after making a payment or by updating your credit card info. I'm not saying this is for-sure the case here, but I'm sure they'll give you better odds than anyone else.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I know for a fact that Anytime Upgrade will not start an upgrade install until the current OS has been Activated.

Which is annoying as well. Hosed install?

- Wipe
- Install Product X
- Activate
- Install Product Y
- Activate

Instead of a 40 minute install process to get a clean OS, it is a 2 hour process with files and registry slapped on top of old files and registry.

That's why I'm setting aside $300 for the full version of Windows. gently caress upgrades.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Xenomorph posted:

I know for a fact that Anytime Upgrade will not start an upgrade install until the current OS has been Activated.

Which is annoying as well. Hosed install?

- Wipe
- Install Product X
- Activate
- Install Product Y
- Activate

Instead of a 40 minute install process to get a clean OS, it is a 2 hour process with files and registry slapped on top of old files and registry.

That's why I'm setting aside $300 for the full version of Windows. gently caress upgrades.

Anytime Upgrade is not the same thing as an upgrade CD you buy in the store - at least it wasn't for Vista.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Well that sucks.

I plan to get a new computer around the time 7 comes out, and this presumably means I'll have to deal with the Windows phone people to get the license transferred to a new computer so I can activate the Vista copy before upgrading.

This is going to be a several hours project...

Anyone else still using the "Power Together" free copy of Vista from that promotional where you pretended to watch movies about Vista? :c00l:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

lapse posted:

Well that sucks.

I plan to get a new computer around the time 7 comes out, and this presumably means I'll have to deal with the Windows phone people to get the license transferred to a new computer so I can activate the Vista copy before upgrading.

This is going to be a several hours project...

Anyone else still using the "Power Together" free copy of Vista from that promotional where you pretended to watch movies about Vista? :c00l:

Anything you buy now is going to come with its own Windows 7 upgrade license.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sardonik posted:

Can anybody confirm that if you buy and use the upgrade it forces you to use the same partition as your previous windows installation? My XP boot hard drive is a relic from the 90's, and I really would rather have it on one of my newer drives.

In that case would I have to get the full version so I could just install straight from boot and choose where I want it?

I'm thinking I should get the full version anyway though because I think I only have upgrade editions of windows all the way back to ME, and I don't relish the thought of having to do chain installs.

The upgrade lets you do a clean install on any hard drive the currently installed OS can see.

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006
If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, will I experience any compatibility issues with games and other software or is the capability about the same as Vista?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BIOJECT posted:

If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, will I experience any compatibility issues with games and other software or is the capability about the same as Vista?

There are a very few pieces of software that work with Vista but not 7, but for the most part you shouldn't run into any issues.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xenomorph posted:

I've said it before, they changed this in 7. The anytime upgrade I did from Home Premium to Ultimate took like 10 minutes.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Stupid question, but I have the Media Center edition of Windows XP (just a fancy way to say Home Edition and squeeze some more money out of people, I'm sure).

What the hell am I going to upgrade to? :psyduck: I'm assuming, Home Edition of Windows 7?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Edoraz posted:

Stupid question, but I have the Media Center edition of Windows XP (just a fancy way to say Home Edition and squeeze some more money out of people, I'm sure).

What the hell am I going to upgrade to? :psyduck: I'm assuming, Home Edition of Windows 7?

You can get whatever version of Windows 7 you want.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

A little bit off topic, but does anyone know if Windows Vista Ultimate Retail keys are both 32-bit/64-bit or limited to either?

I don't have the CD, but I have a valid genuine CD-key that I won in a contest. Contest was limited to the US so I had it sent to someone else who emailed me the key. My currently installed version of Windows Vista Ultimate is 32-bit, so I don't know if it's limited to that or if I can flatten and install 64-bit with the same key.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xachariah posted:

My currently installed version of Windows Vista Ultimate is 32-bit, so I don't know if it's limited to that or if I can flatten and install 64-bit with the same key.

When I built my new computer I installed the 64-bit with the same key I'd used with the 32.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xachariah posted:

A little bit off topic, but does anyone know if Windows Vista Ultimate Retail keys are both 32-bit/64-bit or limited to either?

I don't have the CD, but I have a valid genuine CD-key that I won in a contest. Contest was limited to the US so I had it sent to someone else who emailed me the key. My currently installed version of Windows Vista Ultimate is 32-bit, so I don't know if it's limited to that or if I can flatten and install 64-bit with the same key.

I've used the same (retail) key for both 32 and 64-bit installs. IIRC, the only difference between them is the media, and licenses go both ways.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Hah, solved my own problem.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Casao posted:

Anything you buy now is going to come with its own Windows 7 upgrade license.

Yeah but I'd be building my own, not buying one that comes with Windows installed.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

lapse posted:

Yeah but I'd be building my own, not buying one that comes with Windows installed.

Newegg is selling OEM/System Builder copies of Vista with the upgrade coupon for $10 more than the OEM copy by itself.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit no problem.

If I upgrade to Windows 7 RC 64-bit 7100 now, will I have to reinstall Vista Ultimate 64-bit and do an anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium when it's officially released?

Or something.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Xachariah posted:

If I upgrade to Windows 7 RC 64-bit 7100 now, will I have to reinstall Vista Ultimate 64-bit and do an anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium when it's officially released?

Yes, the upgrade will look for an appropriate install of XP or Vista.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Just so I get this straight,

If I have Vista 32 bit and buy the Win7 64 bit upgrade it will work but if I want to do a wipe I have to first format my drive and install Vista, then Win7 will wipe Vista and reinstall fresh with no Vista elements left over or any crap that I would need to clean up.

c/d?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well I cleaned vista off my laptop last night and am now running Win 7. So far I am impressed, everything seems to run a bit quicker and it seems to be a bit more stable on some things. If it stays this way I am going to have to pick up the retail version when it becomes available. Just not sure if I want to stick with 32 bit or bite the bullet and go with 64 bit

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ice Trucker posted:

Just so I get this straight,

If I have Vista 32 bit and buy the Win7 64 bit upgrade it will work but if I want to do a wipe I have to first format my drive and install Vista, then Win7 will wipe Vista and reinstall fresh with no Vista elements left over or any crap that I would need to clean up.

c/d?

An architecture upgrade needs to do a full reinstall. Your old Vista install will be archived off into a Windows.old folder, and the existing system will be completely replaced. You'll need to reinstall everything, just like a wipe install. At least, until official word comes out, that's the way it's believed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

An architecture upgrade needs to do a full reinstall. Your old Vista install will be archived off into a Windows.old folder, and the existing system will be completely replaced. You'll need to reinstall everything, just like a wipe install. At least, until official word comes out, that's the way it's believed to work.

Well, as long as it will work I think for 50$ I can deal with an extra bit of work every year or so when I decide it's time to clean up the spyware and poo poo I've accumulated.

Worst case I just cancel the amazon order if someone finds out it's borked.