Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Xachariah posted:

But that makes people hate Microsoft more. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Now people in Europe have to jump through a bunch of hoops to put a browser on their computer.

They wouldn't blame the EU for it, they'd just be pissed at Microsoft that their product needs hoop jumping to work. It's a terrible idea shipping an OS with no inbuilt way to download any browser at all.

It's horrible business sense to choose nothing instead of offering alternatives.

I really doubt this will affect the majority of EU users since the OEMs will probably bundle a browser. Really this will only inconvenience users that go out and buy an install disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MEAT TREAT posted:

I really doubt this will affect the majority of EU users since the OEMs will probably bundle a browser. Really this will only inconvenience users that go out and buy an install disc.

kapinga posted:

JESUS CHRIST WE ALREADY HAVE A THREAD FOR THIS poo poo. STOP loving UP THIS ONE!!!!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Kazy posted:

Is there a way to edit Launch Options in the Games menu? It's nice having all these games in one place, but it's killing me that I can't edit the launch options, or even change what the shortcut launches, like I could in Vista.

Quoting myself from a couple of pages ago. I really miss the way Vista handled games, is there a way to get that option back? If not, is there a third-party solution?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Unexpected EOF posted:

Windows XP Starter Edition, for new computer users in developing countries
Windows XP Home Edition, for home desktops and laptops
Windows XP Home Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
etc etc

This isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, and hell Windows *2* had these sorts of varying flavors. The varieties of Vista were an attempt to move things in an "a la cart" direction and failed miserably, creating confusion. Windows 7 looks to be taking a step back from that nonsense.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I dunno how close to :filez: this is, but is there any point to installng the RTM? I'm assuming the RC keys won't work with it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

hobb posted:

I dunno how close to :filez: this is, but is there any point to installng the RTM? I'm assuming the RC keys won't work with it.

You can do slmgr -rearm 3 times I believe to get 120 days out of it. RC keys are not going to work.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If there weren't a few versions of Windows 7 available we'd probably be talking about how microsoft are a bunch of capitalist pigs by only offering 2 versions instead of 8 so people could have choice and all that.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Stanley Pain posted:

If there weren't a few versions of Windows 7 available we'd probably be talking about how microsoft are a bunch of capitalist pigs by only offering 2 versions instead of 8 so people could have choice and all that.

Yeah the funny part is that if you look at the people who complain about how confusing it is to have different versions of Windows (and they always include the specialized, OEM-only versions in the count as well, even though the average user will never see them); they're often the same users who turn around and make the argument that Linux and its hundreds of distros is far better.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Stanley Pain posted:

Home premium suits me loving fine. I just want an affordable windows :(

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

I'm kind of annoyed on the fast turnaround between windows Vista and 7, I only just got vista a year ago goddam. I can't keep dropping shitloads of cash on a new OS every year.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

There were some pretty sweat deals on Win 7 as outlined by this thread. Guess it does suck if you missed out on them. You could also get a TechNet sub and have all the OSes you'd ever want/need.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm really confused by the new rules for upgrade installs, and ended up canceling my 50% off preorder because of it. Something tells me that probably wasn't necessary, but I was already on the fence about spending that much money right now anyway, so I decided I can wait a while longer.

Anyway, if you're required to upgrade from an activated installation, what does that mean for upgrades from XP? There's no direct upgrade path there, so you would have to do a clean install, but how do they verify activation? Does it prompt you to enter your XP license key and verify that way?

And then what would happen if you needed to reinstall the OS for any reason? I can't imagine that upgrade licenses prohibit you from OS reinstallation, but if activating an upgrade license deactivates the license of the OS before it, aren't you basically screwed? I don't get it. I guess I probably won't until October.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Xachariah posted:

I'm kind of annoyed on the fast turnaround between windows Vista and 7, I only just got vista a year ago goddam. I can't keep dropping shitloads of cash on a new OS every year.

Considering that Vista hit GA in January of '07, and 7 is going to hit GA toward the end of October (that's just shy of 3 years of GA in case your calculator's broken), your argument is full of poo poo.

Just because you waited 1.5 years to get with the program doesn't mean they're forcing things on you at a pace you can't handle.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

brc64 posted:

I'm really confused by the new rules for upgrade installs, and ended up canceling my 50% off preorder because of it. Something tells me that probably wasn't necessary, but I was already on the fence about spending that much money right now anyway, so I decided I can wait a while longer.

Anyway, if you're required to upgrade from an activated installation, what does that mean for upgrades from XP? There's no direct upgrade path there, so you would have to do a clean install, but how do they verify activation? Does it prompt you to enter your XP license key and verify that way?

And then what would happen if you needed to reinstall the OS for any reason? I can't imagine that upgrade licenses prohibit you from OS reinstallation, but if activating an upgrade license deactivates the license of the OS before it, aren't you basically screwed? I don't get it. I guess I probably won't until October.

For using an upgrade license from XP, you would start the installer from inside XP and then tell it you wanted a clean install. It would then reboot and do its thing. It's possible the mechanism is somewhat different, but there is absolutely a path to go from XP to 7 with an upgrade license - the precise details of how don't really matter yet.

If you reinstall the OS - well, you'd have two options. If your original 7 install still worked, you'd be able to "upgrade" to a clean install from your current 7 install just as you did with XP. If your hard drive died, or you got a showstopper virus, you would have to reinstall XP, activate it, and then install 7. The automated activation process may or may not work, but you would be able to call Microsoft and get it activated over the phone - this is the precise reason they have that service. Your concern over the licensing is invalid - the limitation is that you cannot have both 7 and XP installed at the same time, not that installing 7 completely invalidates the copy of XP.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kapinga posted:

For using an upgrade license from XP, you would start the installer from inside XP and then tell it you wanted a clean install. It would then reboot and do its thing. It's possible the mechanism is somewhat different, but there is absolutely a path to go from XP to 7 with an upgrade license - the precise details of how don't really matter yet.

If you reinstall the OS - well, you'd have two options. If your original 7 install still worked, you'd be able to "upgrade" to a clean install from your current 7 install just as you did with XP. If your hard drive died, or you got a showstopper virus, you would have to reinstall XP, activate it, and then install 7. The automated activation process may or may not work, but you would be able to call Microsoft and get it activated over the phone - this is the precise reason they have that service. Your concern over the licensing is invalid - the limitation is that you cannot have both 7 and XP installed at the same time, not that installing 7 completely invalidates the copy of XP.

Or you could do the Clean Upgrade Install (CUI :D) and then ghost/image/whatever the install and use that as a restore point if you ever need to re-install 7 again.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Is buying an OEM Vista Home Premium with a win7 upgrade coupon for $109.99 as reasonable a deal as I think it is? Newegg has it cheaper than any flavor of the Win7 upgrades. It's this or the $120 to upgrade and well, I may suck at math but $109.99<119.99. Have I missed something?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Considering that Vista hit GA in January of '07, and 7 is going to hit GA toward the end of October (that's just shy of 3 years of GA in case your calculator's broken), your argument is full of poo poo.

Just because you waited 1.5 years to get with the program doesn't mean they're forcing things on you at a pace you can't handle.

Three years just seems pretty short, especially in light of the fact that XP had an official lifetime of twice that (2001-2007), and thats completely ignoring the vast subset of users who haven't even bothered upgrading to Vista for the last 2 years.

Besides, when did I say it was a pace I couldn't handle? :confused: . It's just annoyingly expensive if you bothered upgrading to Vista lately. The OS market never really struck me as being cut-throat state of the loving art industry. Three year turnaround is shorter than the lifetime of most game consoles. And games consoles are exhibit A for a constant upgrading market.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Xachariah posted:

Three years just seems pretty short, especially in light of the fact that XP had an official lifetime of twice that (2001-2007), and thats completely ignoring the vast subset of users who haven't even bothered upgrading to Vista for the last 2 years.

Besides, when did I say it was a pace I couldn't handle? :confused: . It's just annoyingly expensive if you bothered upgrading to Vista lately. The OS market never really struck me as being cut-throat state of the loving art industry. Three year turnaround is faster than most game consoles lifetimes. And games consoles are exhibit A for constant upgrading.

So basically, you're mad because they're... back on their regular release schedule, seeing as vista was 3 years late?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Unexpected EOF posted:

So basically, you're mad because they're... back on their regular release schedule, seeing as vista was 3 years late?

Since when did being annoyed become being mad? But yeah, I guess I am a lil' annoyed that their regular release schedule is so short.

Sorry for having a differing opinion? :ohdear:

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Xachariah posted:

Since when did being annoyed become being mad? But yeah, I guess I am a lil' annoyed that their regular release schedule is so short.

Sorry for having a differing opinion? :ohdear:

It's not that its just its been said before. "See! Vista sucks because they are rushing to get 7 out!" Microsoft has been trying to go to a three year schedule for years and SP2 for XP severely threw them off track. They aren't expecting people to upgrade to every single one. One would be the major OS and the other is a minor incremental release. About the only thing people can really argue is that in Vista/7's case the Major/Minor instance may have been reversed.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

My girl has been having a problem with her laptop that she installed Windows 7 on. The laptop is an HP (Pavilion, I believe) Dv2637tx. She installed Windows 7 Release Candidate but was having some connectivity issues so she wanted to downgrade back to Vista 32-bit. With HPs, you're supposed to just hit F11 during the boot sequence to launch the recovery program but nothing happens; it would just boot into Windows. In fact, it took quite awhile to even get into the BIOS. Does Windows 7 disable things like this? Is this a known issue? I can't find anything. Windows 7 wouldn't let her do a system restore or anything like this at all either. Kind of odd.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BIZORT posted:

My girl has been having a problem with her laptop that she installed Windows 7 on. The laptop is an HP (Pavilion, I believe) Dv2637tx. She installed Windows 7 Release Candidate but was having some connectivity issues so she wanted to downgrade back to Vista 32-bit. With HPs, you're supposed to just hit F11 during the boot sequence to launch the recovery program but nothing happens; it would just boot into Windows. In fact, it took quite awhile to even get into the BIOS. Does Windows 7 disable things like this? Is this a known issue? I can't find anything. Windows 7 wouldn't let her do a system restore or anything like this at all either. Kind of odd.

I'm guessing that the recovery partition was blown away from the Windows 7 install. You'll have to call HP for a set of recovery discs. On the other hand, you can find OEM CDs pretty easily on the internet.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm guessing that the recovery partition was blown away from the Windows 7 install. You'll have to call HP for a set of recovery discs. On the other hand, you can find OEM CDs pretty easily on the internet.

We have an old XP cd to install from but XP says it cannot find any hard drives connected. The BIOS sees it but the XP install CD does not. Anyone run into something similar? Once we can get it to find the hard drive then I'll be fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Your HDD is a SATA so XP can't see it (unless you put the drive in IDE mode in the bios). If you use a Vista disc, it should see it no problem.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

kapinga posted:

This doesn't seem any cheaper than just buying 7 Pro OEM (or upgrade) when it comes out. You'll have a full 4 months between when it goes on sale and when the RC expires.
I don't have any retail copies of XP or Vista to use with the upgrade (I own a laptop from 2005 and a netbook and am mainly only interested in running 7 on the desktop I'm building), and I would think I'd have a much more stable computer between now and the end of October if I was using Vista SP1 than if I was using the RC.

pokecapn fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 13, 2009

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

pokecapn posted:

I don't have any retail copies of XP or Vista to use with the upgrade (I own a laptop from 2005 and a netbook and am mainly only interested in running 7 on the desktop I'm building), and I would think I'd have a much more stable computer between now and the end of October if I was using Vista SP1 than if I was using the RC.

What are you using now and why not continue using it until October? If it's the RC, what were you using before that?

IF you bought a new computer and put the RC on it directly, but want to go to a non-RC OS, I guess your best bet is exactly that - buy Vista and get the 7 upgrade. If you go for Home Premium, Newegg is providing the upgrade coupon to Windows 7 just like OEMs such as Dell are doing with new computers for the summer. I couldn't find the same option for Vista Business/7 pro, but you might be able to get it with that too.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Your HDD is a SATA so XP can't see it (unless you put the drive in IDE mode in the bios). If you use a Vista disc, it should see it no problem.

Perfect, I know where to start now. Thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIZORT posted:

Perfect, I know where to start now. Thanks.

Close, the different modes are ACHI which XP cannot see and Normal/Enhanced mode which it can see. SATA does not matter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

redeyes posted:

Close, the different modes are ACHI which XP cannot see and Normal/Enhanced mode which it can see. SATA does not matter.

Really? I've usually always had to put the drive in 'IDE' mode so XP can see it.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

kapinga posted:

What are you using now and why not continue using it until October? If it's the RC, what were you using before that?

IF you bought a new computer and put the RC on it directly, but want to go to a non-RC OS, I guess your best bet is exactly that - buy Vista and get the 7 upgrade. If you go for Home Premium, Newegg is providing the upgrade coupon to Windows 7 just like OEMs such as Dell are doing with new computers for the summer. I couldn't find the same option for Vista Business/7 pro, but you might be able to get it with that too.
Right now I'm using nothing because the desktop isn't built yet. There's OEM Vista Business with an upgrade to 7 on newegg for $150. I'd rather live without Media Center for 4 months than mess up what I want to be my primary computer, so I think I'll go that route. Thanks for clearing things up.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I found my first piece of hardware that just won't seem to work in Windows 7 and that is my HP Laserjet 1018 printer. It really sucks, because HP offers x64 vista drivers on their site, but the installer freezes. I guess I should get a new printer but this one still works so well and I print so rarely anyway.

Is there anything I could try, besides compatibility mode stuff? It won't work with any of them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Don Baker posted:

Really? I've usually always had to put the drive in 'IDE' mode so XP can see it.

Yeah really. ACHI/RAID mode is what XP cannot see without a driver disk. Anything IDE/Enhanced should work ok but SATA does not have to do with the setting. You can have a SATA drive set to IDE/Enhanced and it will detect fine.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

redeyes posted:

Yeah really. ACHI/RAID mode is what XP cannot see without a driver disk. Anything IDE/Enhanced should work ok but SATA does not have to do with the setting. You can have a SATA drive set to IDE/Enhanced and it will detect fine.

Isn't that what I said? He has to put the SATA drive in IDE mode for XP to see it?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I couldnt get the download link to work for Windows 7 on the Microsoft site so I just downloaded a torrent linked from some tech news site, I scanned it with AVG just to be safe but have not installed it yet, should I worry about it having anything?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

willkill4food posted:

I couldnt get the download link to work for Windows 7 on the Microsoft site so I just downloaded a torrent linked from some tech news site, I scanned it with AVG just to be safe but have not installed it yet, should I worry about it having anything?

Nope.

Torrents of Microsoft software with the correct MD5 hash are fine.

Unfortunately, I got a "Copyright Infringement" email from my ISP because of my PIRATING ILLEGAL SOFTWARE COSTING THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY BILLIONS.

All by being on a Windows 7 RC torrent.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Mensur posted:

Have you tried a built in driver for a similar model? Win7 has no driver for the HP Laserjet 4000 but the 4100 driver works just fine.

I was going to try this, so I hooked up the printer again and went to Update Driver, select manually, blah blah blah... and then it says it found something. I guess the EZInstall.exe from HP left drivers around on the drive, even though it claims it failed. It now works just fine.

Although now I kind of have something else to complain about. For a while now I've noticed that the minimize effect on windows has disappeared. Has anyone else experienced this? No big deal really, though; instead of doing the minimize effect they just fade away when minimized.

Rexz
Oct 17, 2004

queztal posted:

I found my first piece of hardware that just won't seem to work in Windows 7 and that is my HP Laserjet 1018 printer. It really sucks, because HP offers x64 vista drivers on their site, but the installer freezes. I guess I should get a new printer but this one still works so well and I print so rarely anyway.

Is there anything I could try, besides compatibility mode stuff? It won't work with any of them.

1) Unpack the HP file with something like 7-zip.
2) Upgrade Driver from the Device Manger using the unpacked INFs.

Not sure if this'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: and try the HP Universal PCL 5 driver if your printer's don't work.

Rexz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 14, 2009

Absinthe
Jan 9, 2004

Anyone else having problems with Flash/Hulu? I'm trying to watch Arrested Development on Hulu and it just freaks the gently caress out a few minutes into the episode and my screen gets all...pixelated? I have to hard-reboot to do anything. It was working fine until the last few days. I haven't changed anything!
Firefox 3.5
Flash 10r22
radeon 4670, latest win7 driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Does anyone know Microsoft's stance on purchasing full retail (non-OEM) copies of Vista on places like ebay and then applying for the upgrade? They state you need to buy it at retail but how do they work out if it's an ebay store or a private small-scale local seller?