Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

keratas posted:

Does anyone know Microsoft's stance on purchasing full retail (non-OEM) copies of Vista on places like ebay and then applying for the upgrade? They state you need to buy it at retail but how do they work out if it's an ebay store or a private small-scale local seller?

If they're retail copies, they can't tell who the gently caress is buying them from where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
I'm late to the scene but I just transferred from Vista and wow this is really an amazing OS so far.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

A few pages back I posted that Any DVD and Total Media Theater Platinum 3 would allow windows 7 to playback HD DVDs in windows 7.
It does but I find after a few chapters it starts hiccuping and drops video and audio. If I fast forward or rewind a chapter it seems to fix itself but that is really, really annoying. Anybody have any better solutions?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Stanley Pain posted:

There were some pretty sweat deals on Win 7 as outlined by this thread. Guess it does suck if you missed out on them. You could also get a TechNet sub and have all the OSes you'd ever want/need.

Or you could realise the entire world doesn't live in America and therefore some of us cannot get the deal, as I stated in several of my posts in this thread already. Guess it does suck if you missed out on those posts, though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

Or you could realise the entire world doesn't live in America and therefore some of us cannot get the deal, as I stated in several of my posts in this thread already. Guess it does suck if you missed out on those posts, though.

Not really anybody's fault but the crybaby EU. I'm sure it's just punishment on MS' part :p Actually, I don't think those deals were open for Canadians either. No worries, you can still get a TechNet subscription ;)

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't think those deals were open for Canadians either.

Bill Gates had a good deal for us actually:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Not really anybody's fault but the crybaby EU. I'm sure it's just punishment on MS' part :p Actually, I don't think those deals were open for Canadians either. No worries, you can still get a TechNet subscription ;)

I DO NOT LIVE IN THE EU EITHER.

(If you make your next guess something like Kiribati or Zambia I'm going to cry)

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

keratas posted:

Does anyone know Microsoft's stance on purchasing full retail (non-OEM) copies of Vista on places like ebay and then applying for the upgrade? They state you need to buy it at retail but how do they work out if it's an ebay store or a private small-scale local seller?

They will tell you to take it up with the seller as the copies of 7 do not come directly from them. Every company is different. Most are doing it for free, but some want money for shipping and handling, and others will say let you upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Professional for an additional charge. Don't count on a private seller to have the agreement in place to give you the upgrade unless you get it in writing.

edit: The only thing that MS does is give the company credit for new licenses in exchange for doing the program. In general these rebates are treated like mail in rebates, less than 10% are completed.

Ryokurin fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 14, 2009

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Nam Taf posted:

(If you make your next guess something like Kiribati or Zambia I'm going to cry)

Vietnam?

Nam Fat could be a viet name.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alex007 posted:

Bill Gates had a good deal for us actually:

Nice :) Didn't know that. Good to see we got some deals up here.

Nam Taf posted:

Australia? Where you get hosed by MS and your ISPs?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Australia? Where you get hosed by MS and your ISPs?
With a twist of fist, man :(

I really did want to get in on the pre-order action but I was wary of the "what if" of them checking my card against where I said I lived (A made-up US address).

I bet it'll be like AUD$400 or something too for the professional. :suicide:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

I really did want to get in on the pre-order action but I was wary of the "what if" of them checking my card against where I said I lived (A made-up US address).

Yeah you guys get hit pretty drat hard on the prices of most things. Here's hoping for a good deal.

Scenter
Jul 3, 2008

by angerbeet
Has anyone gotten an asus xonar dx soundcard working properly in win 7? I just installed their latest beta win 7 x64 drivers and they basically destroy my computer. Browers, win explorer etc won't open. Running the vista drivers I was using previously with vista produces the same results.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scenter posted:

Has anyone gotten an asus xonar dx soundcard working properly in win 7? I just installed their latest beta win 7 x64 drivers and they basically destroy my computer. Browers, win explorer etc won't open. Running the vista drivers I was using previously with vista produces the same results.

Yes, I just installed them and they work fine, just like the older 64bit Vista drivers...

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Does anyone know if Windows 7 will be region locked? I may end up importing it from somewhere, 'cause the EU prices are prohibitive.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

redeyes posted:

Yes, I just installed them and they work fine, just like the older 64bit Vista drivers...

Going into a slight derail here, but is it worth getting a Xonar card if you only have a decent Logitech 2.1 speaker setup? I have a Chaintech AV-710 Envy24 card now that looks and sounds just fine to me, and I hear nothing but horrible things about Creative and their drivers. Would the Xonar be a worthwhile upgrade on a 2.1 system?

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Death of Rats posted:

Does anyone know if Windows 7 will be region locked? I may end up importing it from somewhere, 'cause the EU prices are prohibitive.

Has anyone ever region locked an OS before? How would they even do that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Death of Rats posted:

While it could theoretically be done with the product key somehow, no one I know of has ever done this. They will make it a pain in the rear end for you to get it, what with several companies not shipping software internationally (and it may even be against their Microsoft reseller agreement), but assuming you can get around that and get your hands on a copy it should install and play fine.

There's a slim chance some EU-specific software might get out of wack if it does some kind of forced "are you running Windows 7 E" check (e.g. some old Activision games had distinct US and UK editions that checked your Windows regional setting to make sure you were "allowed" to play). I think that's largely a thing of the past, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Media Player Classic HC maximizes when pulled to the top (or Win+Up-Arrowed), instead of getting enlarged just enough to leave the Taskbar available.

Just some MPC-HC bug I should hope to see a fix for sometime, or is something else wonky?

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times, but if you install the Windows 7 Ultimate version, is it possible to use a Volume License Key (for Enterprise) since it's practically the same version?

Scenter
Jul 3, 2008

by angerbeet

redeyes posted:

Which build of windows 7 are you using? I'm using the latest build.

Two other people whining about the problem I'm having:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/12322-asus-xonar-dx-users-avoid-build-7201-a.html

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t781354.html

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Got a Xonar STX a couple weeks and it's fine on Windows 7 x64, though it seems like the little driver app stopped working a while back that allows me to use the DSP and such. No big loss there, my headphones still sound great.

edit: I'm using the RC, based on it working great and my philosophy below. Isn't the RTM tomorrow, anyway? Why not try that, maybe it's fixed? Or will it not work with RC keys anymore...

Charles Martel posted:

Going into a slight derail here, but is it worth getting a Xonar card if you only have a decent Logitech 2.1 speaker setup? I have a Chaintech AV-710 Envy24 card now that looks and sounds just fine to me, and I hear nothing but horrible things about Creative and their drivers. Would the Xonar be a worthwhile upgrade on a 2.1 system?

Nah, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 14, 2009

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Scenter posted:

You need to install the driver patch released on 6/16 at Asus' support site. It's actually under the Vista section but you'll need it for Windows 7 as well. This finally fixes the issues with DS3D that were causing apps to hang under Vista. It also fixes the issue under Win7. It wasn't included in the recent beta drivers for some reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zapateria posted:

I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times, but if you install the Windows 7 Ultimate version, is it possible to use a Volume License Key (for Enterprise) since it's practically the same version?

Probably not. All Vista/7 DVDs already contain the files for every version of the OS that is the same architcture (that is x64 vs x86) though, so you should be able to install Enterprise from any dvd, even Home Basic, with a valid key.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I'm trying to achieve a more compact start menu, so I've removed all of the program links. In XP this would shrink the start menu down, but here, the start menu is still huge with a lot of (ugly) empty space. Anyone ever notice this or know of a fix?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm trying to achieve a more compact start menu, so I've removed all of the program links. In XP this would shrink the start menu down, but here, the start menu is still huge with a lot of (ugly) empty space. Anyone ever notice this or know of a fix?

I don't believe there's a way to really shrink it, but if you uncheck "Use large icons" in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties > Start Menu > Customize... you get a smaller version:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

fishmech posted:

Start Menu Picture

Is that Chips Challenge?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Death of Rats posted:

Unlikely, but you may have a problem with localization in some areas. Support for different regions and languages is Ultimate only, so you may get it and then figure out you can't say change the way the OS handles time and dates to the European standard.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

I spoke to a senior MS manager and he informed me that theres no plans for a similar promotion in Australia. On the plus side, he just told he'd hook a brotha up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dameius posted:

Is that Chips Challenge?

Yes, a shame that Vista x86 and 7 x86 won't use 16 bit icons even though they run 16 bit programs.

Scenter
Jul 3, 2008

by angerbeet

Priapist posted:

You need to install the driver patch released on 6/16 at Asus' support site. It's actually under the Vista section but you'll need it for Windows 7 as well. This finally fixes the issues with DS3D that were causing apps to hang under Vista. It also fixes the issue under Win7. It wasn't included in the recent beta drivers for some reason.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not positive I'll be able to install the patch after I install the drivers because things are seriously messed up afterwards. I'll definitely try it though. Maybe install win 7 beta driver, then patch then reboot? We'll see.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Woop, I just snagged 1 x Win 7 Pro @ £80 and 1 x Win 7 Home Premium @ £45.

That'll do nicely.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

fishmech posted:

I don't believe there's a way to really shrink it, but if you uncheck "Use large icons" in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties > Start Menu > Customize... you get a smaller version:

Thanks for listening.

Here is how it currently looks:

And here is how I'd like for it to look (gently caress the user picture):

Am I correct in thinking they made this design change because now the start menu only exists in that vertical space above the search bar?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanks for listening.

Here is how it currently looks:

And here is how I'd like for it to look (gently caress the user picture):

Am I correct in thinking they made this design change because now the start menu only exists in that vertical space above the search bar?

Considering you already disabled Aero and lost yourself all the performance benefits you may as well use KDE for Windows, WindowBlinds or other shell replacements.

I really don't see a point to using Windows Classic in 7, it makes the new taskbar useless.

WizardShotFood
Jun 18, 2001

Nuking nutrients.

rolleyes posted:

Woop, I just snagged 1 x Win 7 Pro @ £80 and 1 x Win 7 Home Premium @ £45.

That'll do nicely.

Is that from ebuyer? Seems places are offering their own discounts on top, amazon is doing it for £89.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

fishmech posted:

Considering you already disabled Aero and lost yourself all the performance benefits you may as well use KDE for Windows, WindowBlinds or other shell replacements.

I really don't see a point to using Windows Classic in 7, it makes the new taskbar useless.

It's pretty useful for me :(

I have convenient desktop access to programs I'd like to open combined with their taskbar entries :cool:

What am I missing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It's pretty useful for me :(

I have convenient desktop access to programs I'd like to open combined with their taskbar entries :cool:

What am I missing?

Also turning AEro off period makes the display system slower. You can still have it on without the glass effect if you don't like the glass effect or the glass effect renders slowly on your computer

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Oh. I've actually never fancied window previews in the taskbar. :D

fishmech posted:

You can still have it on without the glass effect if you don't like the glass effect or the glass effect renders slowly on your computer

edit: I'll give this a shot for a bit

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Ok, I know I'm going to sound crazy, but I think my beef is that I basically don't like color gradients in my window manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The deal is now available in the UK. http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx July 15th to 9th August 2009