Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Linux Nazi posted:

So, if I have a copy of vista business edition, can I upgrade to W7 Ultimate? The first post in this thread seems to indicate that:

Whereas the purchase page for Windows 7 on the microsoft site is much more ambiguous

Also, where is currently the best place to purchase Windows 7? I'd like to get a key to use for RTM when it's released.

I think all that just means that if you're trying to go Vista Ultimate -> W7 Home for example, you need to do a clean install, but if you were going from Vista Home -> W7 Pro, you would be able to do an upgrade install, keeping all of your programs and whatnot.

At least I think that's what it means..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Captain Novolin posted:

Neither of these are working for me. It gets past the SPDT install, asks to restart, then repeats on startup. I've tried just installing SPDT, but it doesn't help either.

I had this issue too. It is due to you not uninstalling the SPTD when you upgraded to either 7 from Vista or to a newer 7 build. There is some info on the SPTD forum about getting it uninstalled before you try to reinstall it again. If I remember correctly it involves deleting some registry keys. Click below.

SPTD won't install!

code:
Uninstall all software using SPTD layer (e.g. Alcohol, Daemon Tools), 
open registry editor (execute regedit) and go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
change the Start value to 4 (disabled), and reboot.
After reboot delete the whole sptd key in services hive. 
If you get error message about permissions enable all permissions on cfg key first.
Execute 1.42 stand-alone installer then to install SPTD, reboot, then run 1.42 installer again. 
If it says no SPTD version detected, do NOT install Alcohol etc., we've to ensure correct SPTD layer installation first.
If r0 key exists after reboot, delete it (in sptd key).

lignicolos fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 15, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

1997 posted:

Well Hamelin named Apple and I assumed he meant for a Macbook, but I forgot he was talking about iTunes as well.

Also I'm not wondering why that guy was using XP on a new machine with dual graphics cards. Why didn't he have Vista?
He built this computer a couple months ago, was all bragging about his awesome processor and his two video cards with SLI and his terabyte hard drive and his DDR3 ram that he only bought two gigs of. I don't have the stats on this computer but he pretty much just went through newegg and bought the most expensive things he could at the time and crammed it all in the computer. I wish I had access to his computer right now but it's not on and I don't know his password so I could look at what he has in that stupid tower.

No idea why he was running XP. I would guess that he's not terribly bright.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Funnehman posted:

I think all that just means that if you're trying to go Vista Ultimate -> W7 Home for example, you need to do a clean install, but if you were going from Vista Home -> W7 Pro, you would be able to do an upgrade install, keeping all of your programs and whatnot.

At least I think that's what it means..

Okay, that would make more sense.

Anybody know the best place to currently pre-order Windows 7?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hamelin posted:

I would guess that he's not terribly bright.

I had a strong feeling when my eyes first passed over "two video cards" and have now confirmed it with "two gigs of DDR3".

Your roommate should've read this.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I almost feel bad for Play.com. I can't be the only person to have stuck a "just in case Amazon don't get any more Windows 7 preorders in" order down, only to remove it less than 4 hours later. But then again £85 for two copies of 7 Home (I had a £5 Amazon voucher sat in my inbox doing nothing) is so much easier to convince myself I can afford than £100. Although if the Pound was doing a little better against the Euro, I'd have bought the German/French/etc. version instead - it's only an extra £1ish than the UK version, including shipping.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So I just realized that that Windows 7 logo seen on some of the boxes (the kind brush stroke-esque looking one on the ugrade box), is just the upper right area of the upper right "window" of the Windows logo!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 15, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

So I just realized that that Windows 7 logo seen on some of the boxes (the kind brush stroke-esque looking one on the ugrade box), is just the upper right area of the upper right "window" of the Windows logo!

I had to find a picture of the box by itself before I realized what you were talking about, but that's really cool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I had to find a picture of the box by itself before I realized what you were talking about, but that's really cool.

edited with the box by itself for clarity

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly
My apologies if this has come up before, I'm only up through page 35 of the thread so far.

I have installed Win7 x64 a couple times now, cleanly on my system. My system has an Nvidia 8800 GTS, 4 gigs, AMD 5000 dual core. Nothing special really.

Windows installs fine, everything works fine, updates work, no problems. Until I try to run a 3d game or even run the "windows experience" test. As soon as it tries to render 3d the system shuts down immediately. No error screen, BSOD, nothing. Just immediate shutdown.

Anyone else run into this? I have tried both the video driver update from Windows and then the newest available from Nvidia, same thing.

knifehitz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 15, 2009

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

knifehitz posted:

My apologies if this has come up before, I'm only up through page 35 of the thread so far.

I have installed Win7 x64 a couple times now, cleanly on my system. My system has an Nvidia 8800 GTS, 4 gigs, AMD 5000 dual core. Nothing special really.

Windows installs fine, everything works fine, updates work, no problems. Until I try to run a 3d game or even run the "windows experience" test. As soon as it tries to render 3d the system shuts down. No error screen, BSOD, nothing. Just immediate shutdown.

Anyone else run into this? I have tried both the video driver update from Windows and then the newest available from Nvidia, same thing.

Maybe your power supply is crapping out because the video card draws too much power when it renders 3d?

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

Retrograde posted:

Maybe your power supply is crapping out because the video card draws too much power when it renders 3d?

I will have to check this out, but I forgot to mention that I never had this problem with XP, it just came up after installing 7.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

knifehitz posted:

I will have to check this out, but I forgot to mention that I never had this problem with XP, it just came up after installing 7.

I would tend to agree it sounds like a driver problem.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

John Wayne Gacy posted:

The €50 preorder version went on sale in Germany today and was sold out within the first ten minutes at Amazon and most other online retailers.

I got mine from the microsoft store around noon without a problem.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

univbee posted:

DVD Region codes are strictly a video thing, and not even a very effective one. It's a single byte in one specific file in the VIDEO_TS folder that determines region code. DVD discs that contain data (like software installation discs) do not have any region coding whatsoever. There are only two ways to do region coding for software:

I was talking about DVD video, which is trivial to bypass now but may factor into Blu-ray region coding still. I only say that because I don't know much about Blu-ray yet.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html is all you ever need for Region/decryption issues

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

c0burn posted:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html is all you ever need for Region/decryption issues

Too bad they don't offer lifetime licenses anymore

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Principia posted:

Too bad they don't offer lifetime licenses anymore

They do, they just cost more.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just installed this today on my laptop, however now I get the "plugged in, not charging" message and my battery isn't charging. I know it's not a problem with the battery itself since it was working when I had xp about half an hour ago, any ideas?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I was talking about DVD video, which is trivial to bypass now but may factor into Blu-ray region coding still. I only say that because I don't know much about Blu-ray yet.

Blu-ray discs do have region codes, but to a much smaller degree (there are three regions which are, roughly: A for developed world on NTSC, B for developed world on PAL, and C for poorer countries) and they can also be circumvented. AnyDVD-HD is a good way to do this, and I believe it works fine on Windows 7. I know there are free methods as well, although these are more complicated to set up and typically more limited in scope (e.g. you can use it to rip a Blu-ray to your hard drive but not to play directly off the disc). Also, HD-DVD had no region coding at all.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

BonoMan posted:

That's really fuckin cool. Microsoft's hitting both the technology and the marketing for Windows 7 out of the park.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

c0burn posted:

They do, they just cost more.

Hrmm I thought they discontinued that, I'm glad to be wrong.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I might be slow/stupid, but bear with me. I was setting up a 3rd party dock today and I was like "oh, why not just pin every-god-drat-thing to the taskbar" and have the same basic functionality? Is that the whole intention of the pin function and I just completely missed it or is there a downside to having like 30 programs on there?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Piano posted:

I might be slow/stupid, but bear with me. I was setting up a 3rd party dock today and I was like "oh, why not just pin every-god-drat-thing to the taskbar" and have the same basic functionality? Is that the whole intention of the pin function and I just completely missed it or is there a downside to having like 30 programs on there?

That's pretty much it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Piano posted:

I guess if you pinned 20,000 programs to the taskbar it might run slow but that's it.

Beforan
Jun 29, 2009

fishmech posted:

I guess if you pinned 20,000 programs to the taskbar it might run slow but that's it.

I'd be surprised if it slowed noticably - surely it's like having desktop shortcuts, or many shortcuts in the quick launch (or other) toolbar? when they're not running, they are just pinned shortcuts; when they are running it's just like having lots of programs running in any os really...

Rather than wade through *all* 64 pages of this one, have people seen http://www.sevenclassicstart.com yet? Where some people decided it was totally 100% worth putting the "classic" start menu back in, as if people haven't gotten used to it since XP, 8 years ago? Furthermore, they're charging for the privilege.

In relation to this, I present: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Beforan posted:

In relation to this, I present: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/

quote:

Seven Prog Man enables the now unfamiliar and horrendously unproductive look and feel of Program Manager found in Windows 3.x and NT3.x for users of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Hahah, I wish I could install this. ;)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Beforan posted:

"Compatible with all 16-bit editions of Windows 7"!
If only more people knew :wtc:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Beforan posted:

Rather than wade through *all* 64 pages of this one, have people seen http://www.sevenclassicstart.com yet? Where some people decided it was totally 100% worth putting the "classic" start menu back in, as if people haven't gotten used to it since XP, 8 years ago? Furthermore, they're charging for the privilege.

quote:

This page is not compatible with Internet Explorer 6 or earlier.

How does he expect to cater to the neo-Luddite crowd if he won't support their browser of choice?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Is it known - if I am upgrading from 32 bit XP to 64 bit 7, thus having to do a clean re-install - can I clean install to a different HDD than the one XP was on, provided XP can see that HDD?

Beforan
Jun 29, 2009
since you're clean installing anyway, you can install to any hard drive windows 7 setup can see ;)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For some reason, Hulu stutters when in full screen mode but if I pop out the window and maximize the window so that it's rendering the same image size, everything is fine. The full screen stuttering also occurs for Youtube, and this is in both Firefox and IE. I'm running the RC. Thoughts?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
FYI, I'm sure many already know this, but the retail version prices are a complete ripoff. Whatever you do, do not get one of the 200€ Professional boxes. There are plenty of shops that don't give a gently caress about OEM sale rules and it will be much cheaper just getting an OEM version for them for half price.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Beforan posted:

since you're clean installing anyway, you can install to any hard drive windows 7 setup can see ;)
Just to clarify - using the Upgrade version of 7 will allow me to do this, right? I currently have XP but when I use the upgrade to get me to 7, I'd like to put 7 on a brand new HDD.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Um, where is the advanced search UI that was in Vista when I wanted to search a folder from the top right search box? Using 7 here and can't find it and it would be pretty darned useful right now.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my roommate says Windows 7 just won't cut it because the most important thing he does on his computer (play WoW) is impossible because of inevitable freezing. He's reinstalling XP.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For any Brits that want to get Home Premium while it's cheap, it's currently £44.99 (with free delivery) on PC World/Currys/Dixons. It's £49.99 on Staples, Comet and Anvika. The price has increased on Play.com, the UK Microsoft Store and Amazon.co.uk to £80, so you better be quick.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blodskur posted:

For any Brits that want to get Home Premium while it's cheap, it's currently £44.99 (with free delivery) on PC World/Currys/Dixons. It's £49.99 on Staples, Comet and Anvika. The price has increased on Play.com, the UK Microsoft Store and Amazon.co.uk to £80, so you better be quick.
Jesus, PC World really know how to sell the best version of Windows yet: "Open files and documents in just two clicks". Still, great price for 7.

Beforan
Jun 29, 2009

that one guy posted:

Just to clarify - using the Upgrade version of 7 will allow me to do this, right? I currently have XP but when I use the upgrade to get me to 7, I'd like to put 7 on a brand new HDD.

Yes the upgrade allows clean installs to account for people coming up from xp, but you may ahve to put an xp disc/product key in during installation to prove you're eligible for upgrade. this of course is not an issue in the eu since we don't get upgrade copies, just full versions at upgrade prices :D

Hamelin posted:

Welp, my roommate says Windows 7 just won't cut it because the most important thing he does on his computer (play WoW) is impossible because of inevitable freezing. He's reinstalling XP.

That's wierd, I used to play WoW a loooot, and it worked fine for me on the 7 beta and the release candidate - only stopped playing a coupla months back...

maybe something hardware at his end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Was worried i'd missed the deal when I couldn't find cheap copies on amazon or ebuyer, thanks for the heads up on pcworld.

Looking forward to upgrading from XP and actually using the 4 gig of ram I have installed.