Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
And my mechanical drive has just died while thrashing away during the data tiering setup.

Thankfully, I backed up first.

I guess that moves up the schedule for replacing it then. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Lord Bude posted:

Windows 10 has a perfectly good calendar app; as does MacOS. I like having an email app that’s just an email app, with the calendar app separate- plus those two are pretty ideal on their respective platforms.

I can’t say I ever really look at my desktop calendar though - I use the iOS calendar app on my iPhone and my iPad; and although they sync to my desktop, it’s always made more sense to me to look at my phone when it comes to calendar appointments, reminders, to do lists, etc.

Up until now my phone and iPad have been my main devices for looking at email as well; since I hated everything I’d found so far. But you still need email
On your desktop so that you can more easily type lengthy emails, open links on your desktop browser, cross reference information and so forth.

Ok, I'm giving Mailspring + win10's calendar app a whirl, and I noticed one thing which may be obnoxious: since mail/calendar/people is really all one app, I had to provide all those permissions to my Google account just to use the calendar, plus I now get duplicate notifications for emails. Is there a way to use just the calendar?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

hooah posted:

Ok, I'm giving Mailspring + win10's calendar app a whirl, and I noticed one thing which may be obnoxious: since mail/calendar/people is really all one app, I had to provide all those permissions to my Google account just to use the calendar, plus I now get duplicate notifications for emails. Is there a way to use just the calendar?

There is a setting in the windows 10 settings app to turn off the syncing of email; which will disable the windows 10 mail app.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best mp3 player everyone uses now?
I was going to get foobar2000 again but I don't wanna spend 5 hours setting the loving thing up.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Mantari posted:

What's the best mp3 player everyone uses now?
I was going to get foobar2000 again but I don't wanna spend 5 hours setting the loving thing up.

You can just drag a premade foobar config into the foobar directory, but if you can't be hosed or want something more modern: https://getmusicbee.com/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Mediamonkey is good and has a free version. Jriver audio center Is great but not free.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
MusicBee is nifty but the default layout is *~~different~~*.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Although it hasn’t been developed in a couple years, and it’s a Linux port, I moved from iTunes (whose better versions are years back anyway) to Clementine. I tried MusicBee and really admired how it did so many things, like a big ol toolbox, but I spent so much time doing them I wasn’t listening to any music. It’s also kinda formless and shapeshifting, drove me nuts. Clementine does a bunch of semi smart things out of the box and sorta stops short of my smartlist OCD.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Lord Bude posted:

Mediamonkey is good and has a free version. Jriver audio center Is great but not free.

Seconding MediaMonkey. Has the best interface for managing portable MP3 players that I've found so far, plus it's a solid media player overall.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The April update has arrived belatedly even though it's nearly the end of May, and it has introduced some gimmicks and unwanted quirks that I've managed to scrub off eventually. But I still can't get rid of the way it requires me to enter my password every single time I turn on the computer. How do I go straight to desktop without having to sign in every single time? It's unnecessary. I appreciate the focus on security but sometimes a home desktop is just a home desktop, it doesn't need to be Fort Knox.

It's not overly annoying but it's the little things like turning the system on, going off to make a cup of tea and coming back to a fully loaded desktop. The password requirement in place is just clunky. The processes don't load until you've entered it.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 19, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Press Windows. Type netplwiz. Uncheck 'Users must enter a username and password to use this PC'. Then it'll ask you for credentials to automatically log in with.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That worked. Thank you!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Who thought this CredSSP patch was a good idea as configured. Jesus MS. So many broken home-user endpoints for RDS.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
When I use 100% CPU (usually running a game while having a browser and chats open) I get total freezes and sometimes skipping audio where it keeps playing the last 10 milliseconds over and over like "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb"

Any idea what causes this? Is something wrong with my processor?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeb! Repetition posted:

When I use 100% CPU (usually running a game while having a browser and chats open) I get total freezes and sometimes skipping audio where it keeps playing the last 10 milliseconds over and over like "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb"

It's because you're literally hitting the limits of what your computer can handle, op.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Check your temperatures. Are you overclocking? This is almost certainly a hardware issue, you can also troubleshoot memory and graphics card.

Fishmech are you serious? I don't post in this thread too much, so maybe this is some kind of meme. Otherwise, wtf are you talking about? CPU's are designed to run at full speed all day.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LRADIKAL posted:

Check your temperatures. Are you overclocking? This is almost certainly a hardware issue, you can also troubleshoot memory and graphics card.

Fishmech are you serious? I don't post in this thread too much, so maybe this is some kind of meme. Otherwise, wtf are you talking about? CPU's are designed to run at full speed all day.

100% CPU utilization has little to nothing to do with whether it's at 100% normal clock speed dude. The whole system hanging for seconds at a time indicates he's trying to do things his whole system just can't handle, including probably having issues with memory utilization and the GPU.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Freezes are usually an I/O related problem. Disks are the traditional first place to look but it can be anything that's moving data around. Failing memory, gpu, whatever.

CPU being at 100% is not really a useful diagnostic because they're rolling up several activities into a single value to produce that number.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Fishmech, I seriously doubt anything like that. Something is wrong, computers don't hang like that when hardware is functioning properly.

Hmm, yeah, it could be that a disk is spinning up or failing, or a network resource that the computer needs is held up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently started using Mailspring instead of Outlook. The only problem I've noticed so far is something strange, and I'm not sure if it's Windows or Mailspring (probably the latter, but we'll see). My keyboard has media keys, and the email one always worked before for the email program I had, from Thunderbird to eM Client to Outlook. I've set Mailspring to my default email program, but now when I hit the email key I see a cmd window for a fraction of a second that has C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Mailspring\Update.exe in the title window. Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LRADIKAL posted:

Fishmech, I seriously doubt anything like that. Something is wrong, computers don't hang like that when hardware is functioning properly.

What exactly are you doubting here?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Your computer plays sounds by copying them into some buffer somewhere that the sound card hardware reads from and transforms into sound in tiny segments of a few milliseconds each. The sound card continuously just reads this buffer and plays it out through the speaker whenever its active. If you're playing some audio and your pc goes crazy with cpu and IO usage, then the system starts to lag behind and can't fill the sound card's audio buffer quickly enough, but nobody told the sound card to stop playing so it keeps reading from its buffer and playing it, expecting the buffer to be refreshed with a few new milliseconds of audio, but getting the same stale audio data instead. Once the system load goes down enough for the audio subsystem to get a chance to refresh the sound card's buffers, it starts playing smoothly again.
Nothing wrong with your hardware, but if it happens often then you'll probably want to upgrade some of your system to handle the load better.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

hooah posted:

I recently started using Mailspring instead of Outlook. The only problem I've noticed so far is something strange, and I'm not sure if it's Windows or Mailspring (probably the latter, but we'll see). My keyboard has media keys, and the email one always worked before for the email program I had, from Thunderbird to eM Client to Outlook. I've set Mailspring to my default email program, but now when I hit the email key I see a cmd window for a fraction of a second that has C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Mailspring\Update.exe in the title window. Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

Mailspring is probably set to check for updates whenever it starts up, and they didn't set the update application to hide its window.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm not overclocking (that I'm aware of), and I tested my memory after this started happening and it came out fine.

fishmech posted:

100% CPU utilization has little to nothing to do with whether it's at 100% normal clock speed dude. The whole system hanging for seconds at a time indicates he's trying to do things his whole system just can't handle, including probably having issues with memory utilization and the GPU.

Well I've had the CPU at 100% before this started happening, and the memory isn't also at 100%

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

beuges posted:

Mailspring is probably set to check for updates whenever it starts up, and they didn't set the update application to hide its window.

I stupidly forgot to mention that this is while Mailspring is minimized to the tray. Previous mail programs would restore themselves when I hit that key. Mailspring is evidently trying to update instead.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I think this is the best thread to ask...

I'm recently coming from only using Apple products (except for work, where I use an outdated Dell desktop with an old version of Internet Explorer because government jobs allow no freedom in what browsers to use), and I just bought a new Thinkpad so I'm jumping back into windows, with a few questions:

1) What's the best browser to use? I've been using the stock version of Edge that came on Windows 10, which seems ok, but nothing special. I used Chrome for a while with Apple, but then people said it's a huge memory hog, so I switched to Safari, which was pretty good for my needs.

2) I really liked the mail app with Apple. I liked how I just synced my yahoo account and gmail account to it and I would get notifications anytime a new e-mail hit. Is there anything similar I can use with Windows that would do the same?

3) 1-password...I assume it works fine just like it does with Apple? It can store all my passwords and I can load an add-on into a browser where it will put in all my passwords?

4) Airdrop. I loved being able to share pictures from my iPhone directly to my computer. Any way to do that with an iPhone and Windows?

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 21, 2018

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I need some help figuring out the best way to share data across home network computers. I want to share files (some several gigs, some small) across my wired home network. I have a home NAS that runs windows 10 and has no login password. It has a main admin account and that's it. It doesn't have anything personal on it just media so I don't really want to hear about the security stuff. Moving on, I used to have the drive shared via homegroup. Apparently windows 10 got rid of that? It's no longer working and whenever I tried again to make them all join a group it won't let me. So now what do I do? Do I share the entire drive and create a user that matches each and every machine on my home network? Can I copy some kind of super user credientials and just make crap work again? This is terribly frustrating.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

simcole posted:

I need some help figuring out the best way to share data across home network computers. I want to share files (some several gigs, some small) across my wired home network. I have a home NAS that runs windows 10 and has no login password. It has a main admin account and that's it. It doesn't have anything personal on it just media so I don't really want to hear about the security stuff. Moving on, I used to have the drive shared via homegroup. Apparently windows 10 got rid of that? It's no longer working and whenever I tried again to make them all join a group it won't let me. So now what do I do? Do I share the entire drive and create a user that matches each and every machine on my home network? Can I copy some kind of super user credientials and just make crap work again? This is terribly frustrating.

Search for "advanced sharing features" in control panel/settings, select "turn off password protected file sharing". Then double check your folders are still shared afterwards. You should now be able to just browse to the folders again.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

nwin posted:

1) What's the best browser to use? I've been using the stock version of Edge that came on Windows 10, which seems ok, but nothing special. I used Chrome for a while with Apple, but then people said it's a huge memory hog, so I switched to Safari, which was pretty good for my needs.

With a new ThinkPad and thus an SSD and presumably more than enough memory? Whichever one you like best. If you want to dive into the world of addons/extensions, well that pretty much means Chrome or Firefox. Of those two it's safe to say Firefox is the current speed king, but, A) that is always changing, and B) on a nice modern machine it really barely matters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nwin posted:

I have 50 tabs open p much 24/7 in chrome on.my ~3yo PC and I play games and poo poo while watching twitch streams on a 2nd monitor and memory usage has basically never been a factor.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

fishmech posted:

Search for "advanced sharing features" in control panel/settings, select "turn off password protected file sharing". Then double check your folders are still shared afterwards. You should now be able to just browse to the folders again.

This did it. I wonder why they changed it. Thanks I didn't even see that option.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm not overclocking (that I'm aware of), and I tested my memory after this started happening and it came out fine.

Well I've had the CPU at 100% before this started happening, and the memory isn't also at 100%

It could be thermal throttling if you're on a laptop (or if your desktop has big problems). If your CPU starts to hit its temperature limit the system can clock it right down, everything judders and you can get sound glitches like you're talking about

But yeah otherwise it's probably an IO thing like xyyz says - the disk especially, if it gets too busy you can get freezes while system stuff waits for the data it was expecting to have already. Spinny drives are the worst for this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Memory faults can cause similar stuttering behavior, assuming the faults are in non-critical addresses that don't panic the kernel. Running it through a memcheck and Prime95 test to make sure its healthy would be a good step.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

simcole posted:

This did it. I wonder why they changed it. Thanks I didn't even see that option.

So basically Homegroup got removed in the latest Windows 10 feature update because it was considered no longer useful. It didn't really allow good security for the sharing and it had issues allowing things to be shared to other devices, like tablets and smartphones. And Microsoft didn't see a way it could be feasibly adapted in the future so that it would work with your tablets and phones and streaming sticks etc.

Things were thus reverted to the standard sharing method, with "must login with a username/password thats on the host computer" as the default mode for sharing. Hence why you had to go just now to enable non-password-protected file shares. (Part of the way Homegroups worked was it actually created an additional pseudo-user with its own password and the Homegroup password the computer asked you to share was the password to access that on all the relevant computers).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks. I didn't even know they had removed Homegroups. I'll have to setup some shared folders again now.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I use the US-International keyboard layout. After some updates (certainly all the major ones), Windows adds the regular US keyboard layout. The language settings menus don't show it as having been added, but the keyboard switcher shows up in my system tray, and the relevant hotkeys switch between the two layouts. If I then add the US layout in the language settings and immediately delete it, the keyboard switcher goes away.

I assume overzealous regionalization is to blame. Is there a good way to prevent this from happening without disabling a bunch of unrelated features?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toast Museum posted:

I use the US-International keyboard layout. After some updates (certainly all the major ones), Windows adds the regular US keyboard layout. The language settings menus don't show it as having been added, but the keyboard switcher shows up in my system tray, and the relevant hotkeys switch between the two layouts. If I then add the US layout in the language settings and immediately delete it, the keyboard switcher goes away.

I assume overzealous regionalization is to blame. Is there a good way to prevent this from happening without disabling a bunch of unrelated features?
This is almost certainly the same bug I encountered when Windows 8 came out and I haven't found a way to prevent it from happening again. On the other hand, I've only seen it happen twice since.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I'm in the UK and Windows loves adding US keyboard layouts on upgrades and fresh installs. Drives me crazy.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

c0burn posted:

I'm in the UK and Windows loves adding US keyboard layouts on upgrades and fresh installs. Drives me crazy.

Same, I ended up writing something to clear it without having to go through the GUI when it was happening frequently but it's been a while now (Windows 7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
No wonder my Windows users in Japan are so angry all the time...