Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah don't do it with the whole drive, you'll be 10 years (I assume) clicking okay on all those errors. It can take a while just on x;/users/account name if it's quite laden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I did it individually on all directories that I wanted deleted and it worked, mostly. "Windows.old" are being stubborn and some of the stuff in there won't delete because "This is no longer located in E:\. Verify the item's location and try again." I guess something extra messed up is going on with this folder, but the rest is gone and now I have 200+GB free on this drive! The Windows.old folder is only 1.7GB and I'm more concerned of the cleanliness of the drive rather than the space it's taking up. As dumb as that sounds.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I did it individually on all directories that I wanted deleted and it worked, mostly. "Windows.old" are being stubborn and some of the stuff in there won't delete because "This is no longer located in E:\. Verify the item's location and try again." I guess something extra messed up is going on with this folder, but the rest is gone and now I have 200+GB free on this drive! The Windows.old folder is only 1.7GB and I'm more concerned of the cleanliness of the drive rather than the space it's taking up. As dumb as that sounds.

Try and run a chkdsk /f on that drive. I've seen that work to fix that problem.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you're this worried about it, either format the drive or mount the partition as read/write in Ubuntu and delete the folder (also, checkdisk like that person before me suggested never hurts)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

redeyes posted:

Try and run a chkdsk /f on that drive. I've seen that work to fix that problem.

Didn't work, but no worries, this is good enough for now. Thanks to everyone that helped me out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I don't know whether this is a Windows- or motherboard-related problem, so please let me know if I should ask elsewhere.

I just replaced the motherboard -- was Asus 170-A with an i5-6600K, now MSI H270 with same CPU -- after frying it with (suspected) static discharge. It went surprisingly smoothly and Windows 10 just asked me to re-enter the PIN before continuing as if nothing happened... except for two changes in behaviour:

1) When my monitor goes to sleep (after 15 minutes), I'll start hearing the "a device has been unplugged" sounds, like the ones when you unplug a USB drive. On occasion it'll also make the "a device has been detected" sounds too, although fewer of those. And since this all happens while the monitor is asleep, I can't tell what's going on. Once I wake the monitor back up, the notifications tray is blank. All the HDDs are immediately available, and none sound like they've been spinning up or down.

2) Upon waking the monitor back up, all of the previously open applications/windows have been resized (to some size other than how I left them) and moved to the upper left corner. That's the only difference though -- everything else comes back as it was.

I think #1 is probably BIOS-related, but given #2 I'm thinking Windows is messing up. Can anyone think of settings which would explain this?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I bought a Windows 10 Pro Key a year ago, activated a laptop with it and forgot about it. Now I wanted to sell that laptop and reinstalled Windows Pro, but couldn't activate it, even when pressing "activation problems". It took me a while to find the key again, but with it activation worked as it should. If I had not found the key I guess I would have sold the machine without Win 10 Pro (but the ebay auction was up already). Now I am a bit worried. I thought Windows remembered on which machine it was installed (mainboard counting as far as I know). There is another notebook I am selling with a bought key and I guess I'll have to retrieve it. Not really a question, just expressing my surprise Windows wouldn't always activate when the hardware didn't change at all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What type of key do you have according to slmgr -dli (run in command line, is it VOLUME_MAK channel)?

Did you buy it off Ebay or a more legitimate source?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Trabant posted:

1) When my monitor goes to sleep (after 15 minutes), I'll start hearing the "a device has been unplugged" sounds, like the ones when you unplug a USB drive. On occasion it'll also make the "a device has been detected" sounds too, although fewer of those. And since this all happens while the monitor is asleep, I can't tell what's going on. Once I wake the monitor back up, the notifications tray is blank. All the HDDs are immediately available, and none sound like they've been spinning up or down.

2) Upon waking the monitor back up, all of the previously open applications/windows have been resized (to some size other than how I left them) and moved to the upper left corner. That's the only difference though -- everything else comes back as it was.

I think #1 is probably BIOS-related, but given #2 I'm thinking Windows is messing up. Can anyone think of settings which would explain this?
The symptoms are consistent with Windows losing contact with the display during power save.
The most common reason for that is DisplayPort hotplug standard which for some reason dictates that when the monitor communicates that it is going into standby then the receiving device should remove it entirely from the system (because naturally it will re-add gracefully on power-up regardless of what it's then plugged into) which in Windows' case results in it being removed from the screen topology entirely, discarding all of the icon positions. The change in motherboards could be the cause in that the previous one might not have supported the hotplug signal. Although from memory that behaviour does not generate a device removal sound.

If you're not using DisplayPort then I'd check the Events tabs in Device Manager on your Monitor and Display Adapters devices to see if there's anything suspicious there.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Thank you for the suggestions! It's probably not a DisplayPort-specific issue -- I'm using DVI and tested it with HDMI as well and the weirdness happens on both. Also updated the graphics drivers (Intel, integrated) but I'm still seeing the problem.

I went through the event logs briefly and saw stuff that looks a little off, but I have to admit I've never really scrutinized those before. Will post them once home for someone to clue me in, if that's OK with the thread.

edit: turns out there's a way to fix this and it's... kinda dumb, as you'd expect. Per a post here, I uninstalled all of the hidden displays (I think I had 4) and graphics adapters (one) and that solved the problem.

It looks like Windows would, based on a temporary display setting during a previous installation, briefly default to a 1024x768 resolution (maybe?), resize my windows accordingly, and move them to the upper left corner. My guess is that it happened because of the new adapter but who the hell knows.

Trabant fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 4, 2019

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Windows built in document scanner is pretty bad, and doesn't have any PDF support.

I'd like to be able to scan multiple pages and save as a PDF.
Can someone recommend a good program for my needs?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SpaceAceJase posted:

Windows built in document scanner is pretty bad, and doesn't have any PDF support.

I'd like to be able to scan multiple pages and save as a PDF.
Can someone recommend a good program for my needs?

NAPS2 is great at that https://www.naps2.com/

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Wtf? My windows 7 pc that I use as a server updated and now my smb share will not work. When I put in the password it rejects. If I try a none password share that doesn't work either. Wtf.

Tried multiple devices connecting, same thing. Any ideas? It's worked flawlessly for years.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bigsteve posted:

Wtf? My windows 7 pc that I use as a server updated and now my smb share will not work. When I put in the password it rejects. If I try a none password share that doesn't work either. Wtf.

Tried multiple devices connecting, same thing. Any ideas? It's worked flawlessly for years.

The latest Windows 7 patch broke SMBv2.

(Neowin, includes possible workaround, back up yo poo poo)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I installed windows 10 on my new pc. It was working fine until like the 3rd boot or so. I had updated my gpu drivers and just installed an anti virus.

After that the bootup was really slow compared to before even though it's on ssd. When I log in the loading was also super slow. Then I got the black screen with the cursor issue. I couldn't see the task manager even if that's whats recommended to do and go regedit to see if explorer.exe value is there in windows logon. So I couldn't do that.

I booted with safe mode + net. Did system file scan and it found no integrity issues with the system files. I disabled my graphics card and I got through the login screen without safe mode. Although it was really slow and froze so I had to turn it off.

I did a reinstall by just deleting the partitions instead of cleaning drives.

Any idea what's causing this?

It's weird cause I was running w10 entreprise unactivated fine for a few days but I installed w10 pro because I couldn't activate that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For one, don't use an Antivirus. Seems like the most likely cause.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

dont be mean to me posted:

The latest Windows 7 patch broke SMBv2.

(Neowin, includes possible workaround, back up yo poo poo)

Chdrrs for that. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nvm reinstalling windows did the trick but I have no idea what was going on previously.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Bigsteve posted:

Chdrrs for that. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

It's easy, just unistall KB4088970 from Programs and Features.

Not listed? No surprise! Elevate a command prompt and do:

WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:4480970

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a task in mind that involves looking at a large number (dozen or more) of small PDF files (usually single page, some might be multi page) at a time. Adobe's own viewer is terrible for this. Anybody have a recommendation?

e: I would try one of the web browsers I have installed, but it is annoying to get them open because they don't appear in the File Explorer context menus when you have multiple files selected, even though they can all open individual PDF files.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hammerite posted:

I have a task in mind that involves looking at a large number (dozen or more) of small PDF files (usually single page, some might be multi page) at a time. Adobe's own viewer is terrible for this. Anybody have a recommendation?

e: I would try one of the web browsers I have installed, but it is annoying to get them open because they don't appear in the File Explorer context menus when you have multiple files selected, even though they can all open individual PDF files.

Set Chrome/Edge as your default PDF viewer and open multiple files at the same time by selecting them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hammerite posted:

SumatraPDF has always been my go-to for viewing PDFs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Lambert posted:

Set Chrome/Edge as your default PDF viewer and open multiple files at the same time by selecting them.

I was about to post and say that I couldn't get this to work, but I tried again on slightly fewer files and did get it to work. There seems to be a limit of 15 files you can open at once (I had been trying to open all 18 files in one directory). This is good enough for my purposes. Thanks for the tip!

hooah posted:

SumatraPDF has always been my go-to for viewing PDFs.

I will keep it in mind. It seems like "best PDF viewer" is one of those things that changes a lot.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Whats the best way to stream or access videos/audio on my Windows desktop from my Android TV/phone on my home network? I'm finding this much harder than I thought I would and I think I'm being dumb as poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In my experience, Sumatra is good for small PDFs, very slow for large PDFs, abysmal at printing large PDFs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Olewithmilk posted:

Whats the best way to stream or access videos/audio on my Windows desktop from my Android TV/phone on my home network? I'm finding this much harder than I thought I would and I think I'm being dumb as poo poo.

Kodi will work. It's not all about pirating poo poo! You owe it to yourself to invest into a NAS if you have a lot of content you wanna be accessing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

doctorfrog posted:

In my experience, Sumatra is good for small PDFs, very slow for large PDFs, abysmal at printing large PDFs.

foxit has been the best all-around replacement for acrobat for me, supports pretty much all the action script and field stuff, handles big pdfs, prints fine

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Are there any modern, feature-rich, regularly updated password managers that don't require a subscription? I don't mind paying for software, but I just hate 'renting' it.
*edit*
Needs to have Windows, Mac and iOS clients available and allow syncing between them.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Are there any modern, feature-rich, regularly updated password managers that don't require a subscription? I don't mind paying for software, but I just hate 'renting' it.
*edit*
Needs to have Windows, Mac and iOS clients available and allow syncing between them.

1Password if you want to throw money at it, KeepAss/MacPass/MiniKeepAss with whatever sync client you prefer if you don’t

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mr. Clark2 posted:

*edit*

I like Enpass. Desktop clients are free, mobile clients are ~12bux per platform.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

1Password if you want to throw money at it, KeepAss/MacPass/MiniKeepAss with whatever sync client you prefer if you don’t

1password is subscription only these days.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 17, 2019

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
1Password is good, buy it

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Factor Mystic posted:

1Password is good, buy it rent it

Keepass is fine and it's free.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Dashlane is pretty great

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I honestly hope wish there was a password manager with a business model like Newsblur. Open source AND you can subscribe for it or self-host it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crazysim posted:

I honestly hope wish there was a password manager with a business model like Newsblur. Open source AND you can subscribe for it or self-host it.

You mean Keepass?

Drop your database in dropbox and forget about it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

crazysim posted:

I'd be into that - Newsblur is amazing.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

xzzy posted:

You mean Keepass?

Drop your database in dropbox and forget about it.

I would prefer an annoying nagware like Cyberduck and/or maybe hosting from Keepass. Something professional. It's gotta be sustainable or you get poo poo like the OpenSSL fiasco.

https://keepass.info/donate.html

Piles of sites there donated for SEO purposes not in the name of security. That's just not right.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

here's a random but I can't find the answer when I google - all I get is a bunch of Adobe Acrobat help pages.

I have a couple hundred magazine PDF files, and it's impossible to track what is where when I want to go back and find something.

Is there software, out there somewhere, that would let me organize/see/refer to all of my bookmarks across these many files, in one central place? That way I could comb through the magazines, flag all the stuff that looks good (and even tag it with different categories), and then I have an actual reference doc that I can use to go back to it. I tried extracting the pages but it just wasn't working well as a process.

I thought that making a portfolio with Acrobat X Pro was the answer, but it wasn't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Guitarchitect posted:

here's a random but I can't find the answer when I google - all I get is a bunch of Adobe Acrobat help pages.

I have a couple hundred magazine PDF files, and it's impossible to track what is where when I want to go back and find something.

Is there software, out there somewhere, that would let me organize/see/refer to all of my bookmarks across these many files, in one central place? That way I could comb through the magazines, flag all the stuff that looks good (and even tag it with different categories), and then I have an actual reference doc that I can use to go back to it. I tried extracting the pages but it just wasn't working well as a process.

I thought that making a portfolio with Acrobat X Pro was the answer, but it wasn't :(

It's a bit tangential to their intended use, but what about a citation manager like Zotero?