Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I need a password manager that can sync between pc and an iPhone. What are the current recommendations? Preferably free if possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For free you're pretty much stuck with keepass. You'll need some kind of cloud storage too, dropbox, onedrive, icloud, whatever. KeePassium is a decent iOS option, for Windows I use straight keepass.

If you're willing to pay at all there are much easier options like dashlane, 1password or lastpass. I'm not sure what the current hotness is though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm ok on keepass, but if I had to start from scratch I'd probably give Bitwarden a whirl, which I believe is also free, but with modern conveniences.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

For free you're pretty much stuck with keepass. You'll need some kind of cloud storage too, dropbox, onedrive, icloud, whatever. KeePassium is a decent iOS option, for Windows I use straight keepass.

If you're willing to pay at all there are much easier options like dashlane, 1password or lastpass. I'm not sure what the current hotness is though.

Lastpass free will sync.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Xeras posted:

I need a password manager that can sync between pc and an iPhone. What are the current recommendations? Preferably free if possible

I've been liking Bitwarden for the last several months. Seems to work fine on my wife's iOS devices, although less convenient than on my Android.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I’m a keepass supporter through and through, but the client I use (MiniKeePass) is popping up a notification that it’s going away. I’ve been using it for years and it works well for me, but now I have to find an alternative. I don’t mind paying for an app, but screw subscriptions. Anybody have any suggestions?

IOS if it wasn’t clear

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

namlosh posted:

I’m a keepass supporter through and through, but the client I use (MiniKeePass) is popping up a notification that it’s going away. I’ve been using it for years and it works well for me, but now I have to find an alternative. I don’t mind paying for an app, but screw subscriptions. Anybody have any suggestions?

IOS if it wasn’t clear
Try Keepassium.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The two big ones are keepassium and strongbox, keepassium has a better feature set for free. The paid versions are feature equal.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
BitWarden is also a nice, open source, alternative that has a hosting option. I don't know the quality of the iOS app though.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

If I'm paying, I'd go 1Password over all others. Their white paper is more detailed, plus a better security model than the rest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Klyith posted:

It's not a great VPN, they had one of their exit servers hacked last year and kept it secret for months.

OTOH if the only thing you need from a VPN is to pretend to be in the UK to watch BBC or in the US to watch netflix, or for :filez:, then it doesn't matter that much. They're still good for that type of thing and they're cheap (because they need to get customers back lol).

If you need a VPN for real security ask in the infosec thread.
Well, thanks for the warning. I was already not interested, but now I'm very definitely not. I can tolerate a security failure, it happens to every service eventually. What I can't tolerate is trying to hide it from the users when it does happen. That's just too much of a breach of trust.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Buff Hardback posted:

If I'm paying, I'd go 1Password over all others.. a better security model than the rest.
Whoops, I had it backwards....

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been using BitWarden for a few months and really like it. I ended up springing for Premium so I could use it for authenticator tokens. I use the Android app and the Firefox plugin and it's pretty smooth once you teach it some URLs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What is a good email client for Windows 10? I was using the default built-in one, but it's getting worse and worse. I have 3 gmail accounts and will be adding an academic account soon; I'm ideally looking for something that's free or a one-time purchase and doesn't suck?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

one page back

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been happy with Mailspring so far.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

whoops I read that discussion which is what got me to realize Mail wasn't showing gmail attachments in the first place

mailspring looks like it's worth trying out, thanks!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hooah posted:

I've been happy with Mailspring so far.

I'm trying it out for the last hour or so and is a bit of adjustment coming from Thunderbird. It is an electron based application, which is less than ideal, but it looks fine so far, not too bad. The panels are not optimally placed (top emails list, bottom email preview I consider ideal) with no way to change that as far as i can tell. As I said, an adjustment.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Just add all the additional mail accounts to your main gmail account and use that. Or if you want a paid one use The Bat!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Volguus posted:

I'm trying it out for the last hour or so and is a bit of adjustment coming from Thunderbird. It is an electron based application, which is less than ideal, but it looks fine so far, not too bad. The panels are not optimally placed (top emails list, bottom email preview I consider ideal) with no way to change that as far as i can tell. As I said, an adjustment.

I agree it's not ideal (I also like the list on top and the reading pane on the bottom), but it does its job well.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MikusR posted:

Just add all the additional mail accounts to your main gmail account and use that. Or if you want a paid one use The Bat!

Try doing that with my university's email account and find out that you've just violated our user agreement and get your account blocked. We forbid giving out your password to other people and Gmail counts as other people.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody loves overbearing admins that make work needlessly tedious.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, wow. Can you imagine getting your email blocked for using the "wrong" client? Like your email account stops working because you connected it to something that admins didn't like... and you miss an important email lmao

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Is there a goon favourite software for file recovery?
My music HDD died a ways back and I thought I had it all backed up but I'm noticing some bands weren't fully backed up.

I could re-rip my CD's of course but don't have a CD drive at the moment. I've tried photorec and it could recover the files but not the metadata or file names.
I know of recuva and active file recovery but don't currently have a license to either one (used to have an active bootdisk license, was good software but lost the license due to some fuckery I won't go in to)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
1password definitely has the better windows and Android app I'd say.

LastPass free doesn't sync to phones. You need to pay for that

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Saukkis posted:

Try doing that with my university's email account and find out that you've just violated our user agreement and get your account blocked. We forbid giving out your password to other people and Gmail counts as other people.

Does your university not use google as the mail provider?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ok quick question.

I've recently changed my ssd to a .m2 drive and thought it would be a good time to start from scratch with a new build.

The windows license on my old ssd is a Pro license. However, the license attached to my Hotmail account is a Home license. Which is what it picked up on the new install.

Is there any way of me retrieving the license key from the old ssd. It hasn't been wiped yet and is still caddied up so I can boot to it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

organburner posted:

Is there a goon favourite software for file recovery?
My music HDD died a ways back and I thought I had it all backed up but I'm noticing some bands weren't fully backed up.

I could re-rip my CD's of course but don't have a CD drive at the moment. I've tried photorec and it could recover the files but not the metadata or file names.
I know of recuva and active file recovery but don't currently have a license to either one (used to have an active bootdisk license, was good software but lost the license due to some fuckery I won't go in to)

Recuva is free though?

The last time I needed a data recovery program the trial version of EaseUS Data Recovery was what worked well. The trial is limited to 500MB recovered, but if your albums are mp3s or whatever that'll be enough.

(Also rather than buy software, a usb external DVD drive is like $25.)

CyberPingu posted:

Ok quick question.

I've recently changed my ssd to a .m2 drive and thought it would be a good time to start from scratch with a new build.

The windows license on my old ssd is a Pro license. However, the license attached to my Hotmail account is a Home license. Which is what it picked up on the new install.

Is there any way of me retrieving the license key from the old ssd. It hasn't been wiped yet and is still caddied up so I can boot to it

If your old windows install was using a real Win10 key (ie you bought Win10), yes.

If you got Win10 via upgrading an existing install, or by punching in a 7 or 8 key at install time, no. In those cases you only get a digital license that has no key.

What you can do about that:
1. Punch in a Pro key for 7, 8, or 10 into your current install in Settings -> Update -> Activation
2. Image your old drive to the new drive, use Reset this PC to get what is pretty much as good as a fresh install.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

Recuva is free though?

The last time I needed a data recovery program the trial version of EaseUS Data Recovery was what worked well. The trial is limited to 500MB recovered, but if your albums are mp3s or whatever that'll be enough.

If your old windows install was using a real Win10 key (ie you bought Win10), yes.

If you got Win10 via upgrading an existing install, or by punching in a 7 or 8 key at install time, no. In those cases you only get a digital license that has no key.

1. Punch in a Pro key for 7, 8, or 10 into your current install in Settings -> Update -> Activation
2. Image your old drive to the new drive, use Reset this PC to get what is pretty much as good as a fresh install.

Aright cool, I'll probably just do the reset option

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Raldikuk posted:

Does your university not use google as the mail provider?

No, we use Office 365. And when you go to your webmail you are redirected to our internal single-signon server before jumping back to O365, so your password never touches MS servers. I believe something similar happens when you use Outlook as client. We have decided to turn a blind eye in the case of Thunderbird, since I don't think there is a similar mechanism for IMAP. But we would have riots from all the TB users.

But that doesn't mean we like it. Lot of people in IT staff and people from other departments too were not at all happy about switching from inhouse email service to an outsourced. It was a fun day after switching, when one of our IT guys was checking through the headers on a mail he had received and then asked in our chat channel why does our email travel through servers of UK Ministry of Defence. Thankfully it was just some IP Microsoft had bought from MoD and it hadn't been reregistered yet, nothing to do with Five Eyes.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 21, 2020

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

Recuva is free though?

Huh, so it is... I could have sworn recuva used to be free up to some file amount or something. And yeah I know I can buy an external dvd drive and probably will have to at some point but I want to try avoiding having to find and rip all my cd's again :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

organburner posted:

Huh, so it is... I could have sworn recuva used to be free up to some file amount or something. And yeah I know I can buy an external dvd drive and probably will have to at some point but I want to try avoiding having to find and rip all my cd's again :D
I think it is. I had to recover a file six months ago and I'm fairly sure Recuva wouldn't let me restore more than 500MB of it or something like that. Did that change?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it is. I had to recover a file six months ago and I'm fairly sure Recuva wouldn't let me restore more than 500MB of it or something like that. Did that change?

Looks like recuva can't deal with the damage on the disk, so I might have to try active file recovery at some point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a drive that was bitlocker protected, Windows recognizes when I plug it in but when I type the password it spins and eventually disconnects. Can any of these file recovery programs get past Bitlocker?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Medullah posted:

I have a drive that was bitlocker protected, Windows recognizes when I plug it in but when I type the password it spins and eventually disconnects. Can any of these file recovery programs get past Bitlocker?

No.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From what I know, Bitlocker is hardware-bound encryption, so even if you paid someone to mirror the data on the broken disk to a different one bit-by-bit, you still couldn't decrypt it anymore. It's one of many reasons why it's really not worth it to ever use Bitlocker or other full-disk encryption methods like it unless you actually have a pressing need for that kind of security.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

organburner posted:

A few years ago I signed up to Apple Music and took all my CDs to the nearest pawn shop. It's a very liberating experience. I now have an order of magnitude more music than I used to.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
I think the recovery key is enough to decrypt any bitlocker drive, whether or not drive hardware or a TPM is involved that might make the password insufficient.

Google says this "UFS Explorer" file recovery program can handle bitlocker, so that's at least one program.

But if the drive is just disappearing that's not a good sign. Also this program warns that if the bitlocker metadata area is damaged then it can't read anything even with the recovery key.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cardiovorax posted:

From what I know, Bitlocker is hardware-bound encryption, so even if you paid someone to mirror the data on the broken disk to a different one bit-by-bit, you still couldn't decrypt it anymore. It's one of many reasons why it's really not worth it to ever use Bitlocker or other full-disk encryption methods like it unless you actually have a pressing need for that kind of security.

The bitlocker "recovery key" is just the actual key, same as what's stored in the TPM. If you move a bitlocker-ed drive to another system, and punch in the recovery key, it'll work fine.

Full-disk encryption is a good thing, especially on portable devices. If you're worried about failure, make a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

A few years ago I signed up to Apple Music and took all my CDs to the nearest pawn shop. It's a very liberating experience. I now have an order of magnitude more music than I used to.

I used to use spotify myself but got enough of them deleting poo poo from my library so went back to loving around with mp3's instead.
I'm not gonna gently caress around with apple products, got enough bad experiences to stay away from that.