Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why did my windows 10 decide to do this to some of my icons?

And how do I fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kinda looks like some cloud storage program is syncing your desktop.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Why did my windows 10 decide to do this to some of my icons?

And how do I fix it?
Not helpful, but wow that's a flashback to the first edition of Win98.

I think this should help fix it: https://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

On a more serious note, it looks like the program shortcuts (.lnk file extension) might have become associated with IE, which you could probably fix in the registry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Not helpful, but wow that's a flashback to the first edition of Win98.

I think this should help fix it: https://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/

OK thanks I'll give that a shot.

astral posted:

On a more serious note, it looks like the program shortcuts (.lnk file extension) have become associated with IE, which you could probably fix in the registry.

Ok I'll give that a look too. I'm not sure what happened since my computer was on all night and I came back this morning and they looked like that lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did you sync your desktop with OneDrive or something?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you already tried the simple stuff (f5 on the desktop, reboot computer if that didn't resolve it)?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Did you sync your desktop with OneDrive or something?

Yeah I guess it auto syncs but I didn't manually tell it to do that.

astral posted:

Have you already tried the simple stuff (f5 on the desktop, reboot computer if that didn't resolve it)?

Yeah did both and nada.

Edit: Wtf a few of them just fixed them selves. Maybe its a one drive issue? Fuckin weird.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 9, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It looks like your icon cache just poo poo itself. Try deleting \AppData\Local\IconCache.db and restarting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Possible long shot, but check you OneDrive settings. There is and option to only sync selective files, leaving a temporary file on your computer that downloads from the cloud when you try to access it. A long time ago, I had OneDrive decide to selectively sync my Documents folder, completely breaking all my game saves.

Under settings, it's in the Account tab, Choose folders.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Perfect! Between this and the SungLab stuff I'm pretty much set :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

astral posted:

Learning something new every day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can anyone tell me why I might stop getting email notifications from an imap email account? Works fine and then just stops sending me notifications.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I swear I'm losing my mind over here.

I've posted in this thread before about windows not letting my monitor go to sleep properly and also not activating the screen saver as it should. I couldn't fix the issue even though everything in power management is set correctly and it should be doing both of those things.

Anyway I gave up on it and have just been turning the monitor off figuring it could be the monitor doing something.

What's changed? Well I got a new monitor and things still don't work like they should.

I also set up my Intel NUC and it is doing the exact same thing

I have two different computers both running windows 10 using different hardware and different monitors and both of them refuse to let the monitors sleep.

If I manually turn the screen saver on (via preview) the screen saver stays running till I move the mouse (I've left it running for hours to test it) so AFAIK there are no inputs stopping it from running it just flat out refuses to run.

How in the bloody hell can this be? I'm logged in to both PC's with the same MS account so there must be something being shared across both of them that is preventing both of these computers from sleeping the monitors.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are you using settings synchronization through your MS account? If so, then yes, it's entirely likely that whatever misconfiguration you've got going on has spread from your first machine to your second. I would honestly consider just purging the entire setup at this point, there seems to be something irreparably broken there and it really does not seem worth the effort of troubleshooting it anymore at this point, not when you could just reset the whole thing and have it done and over with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you using settings synchronization through your MS account? If so, then yes, it's entirely likely that whatever misconfiguration you've got going on has spread from your first machine to your second. I would honestly consider just purging the entire setup at this point, there seems to be something irreparably broken there and it really does not seem worth the effort of troubleshooting it anymore at this point, not when you could just reset the whole thing and have it done and over with.

What exactly does that look like though? I've seen the windows "reset" option but is that like a complete format?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my laptop also sometimes refuses to sleep when connected to an external HDMI monitor. not all the time but enough to be annoying. starting to supect that windows 10 is a buggy piece of crap in which basic features no longer work reliably

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Windows keeps my monitor awake sometimes if I have a USB Xbox controller connected.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My desktop sleeps the first time it goes idle after a full reboot, then after waking up it will never sleep again. I tried to figure out why once, got annoyed, and gave up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

asciidic posted:

Windows keeps my monitor awake sometimes if I have a USB Xbox controller connected.

Controller drift? The thumbsticks on all of my 360 have all been bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

asciidic posted:

Hmm that might explain the main PC but not the NUC box. I'll unplug it and see though!

xzzy posted:

My desktop sleeps the first time it goes idle after a full reboot, then after waking up it will never sleep again. I tried to figure out why once, got annoyed, and gave up.

Fuckin lol that is kinda where I am at.

Honestly if the screen saver worked I wouldn't have an issue. I really don't want to leave a static image on the screen for hours at a time even if this is 2020.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Mine sleeps, Logitech's driver crashes, waking it up, and then won't sleep again UNLESS you push the button on the case.

I figure that's just Windows.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Late 90s. Warlords 3: Darklords Rising (the TBS, not the RTS).
Hey cool, same old game I decided to get working a few months ago. I got things up and running in VirtualBox / Win2K, although the sound wasn't functioning properly. I'd test it and tell you specifically what I did and what issues there are, but I haven't run it since then and now the VB instance fails to launch for whatever reason. I swear it was working fine during that one night of revisiting the game though!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Woebin posted:

Hey cool, same old game I decided to get working a few months ago. I got things up and running in VirtualBox / Win2K, although the sound wasn't functioning properly. I'd test it and tell you specifically what I did and what issues there are, but I haven't run it since then and now the VB instance fails to launch for whatever reason. I swear it was working fine during that one night of revisiting the game though!

oldgames.txt lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So power issues aside ( I've given up for now) I do have to say I am liking Microsoft Edge a lot more now. I've 100% moved off chrome and feel like things are much better.

Edit: I'm running Edge on an older NUC and it absolutely runs better than Chrome did.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 12, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t win... was doing the update to Windows 10 2004 and then this happens...

Kinda hosed I guess.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Woebin posted:

Have you enabled Hyper-V or Linux System for Windows since then? Doing either breaks VirtualBox.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Have you enabled Hyper-V or Linux System for Windows since then? Doing either breaks VirtualBox.
Not intentionally! I'll figure it out if I ever get around to messing with it again, kind of unlikely though to be honest. It's a good game and reliving the childhood memories for a night was nice, but I think that's probably enough for me.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sorry to double post, but I ran into a question. I tend to get pretty concerned about internet privacy and not letting all my personal information be used for ad targeting and who knows what else from time to time, start getting rid of invasive services and products, and then just sort of run out of steam and resignedly accept that privacy is a dead concept at this point. Anyhow, I went on another of those kicks some time back, downloaded all my poo poo from Google Photos, and deleted my albums from there. So now I've got all these pictures back on my computer in a really haphazard folder structure. Is there any useful app these days for organizing photos on my actual machine? Bonus points if it's got fancy poo poo like facial recognition, but that seems unlikely without going back into the whole "the user is the product" situation.

I don't mind paying a bit for something that's good, but I'd prefer it if it's a one-time fee rather than a subscription if so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kind of a weird assortment of problems that I think are software related. I'd like to use a new headset with its mic. It's not a USB headset, just a Steelseries Arctis 3. The mic shows up in levels in Discord but not in the Windows sound settings. However, even though it's registering on the little mic level display, I get no audio through the headset. I'll try a reset and stuff after work but it's kind of strange. The mic works fine if I plug the headset into my phone and record a voice memo.

I also opened up Realtek Audio Console to see if that would have anything worthwhile. Then I clicked these two little buttons above the level (the checkbox and the phone in the screenshot below) but now they won't click off! They also didn't seem to do anything but what are they and why are they permanent??

This is after I unplugged everything from the back and front audio ports.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think these icons are 'use this as the default output' and 'use as default output for communications'. In that context it makes sense that they can't be toggled.

To be clear: your mic doesn't work and never has in any sense on the PC, you don't have visual feedback of any signal, just places where it indicates a mic can be connected to your computer. Right? Does the headset have a single plug with three black rings?

Edit: does "it's registering on the little mic level display" mean visual feedback of incoming sound?

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 13, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think these icons are 'use this as the default output' and 'use as default output for communications'. In that context it makes sense that they can't be toggled.

To be clear: your mic doesn't work and never has in any sense on the PC, you don't have visual feedback of any signal, just places where it indicates a mic can be connected to your computer. Right? Does the headset have a single plug with three black rings?

Edit: does "it's registering on the little mic level display" mean visual feedback of incoming sound?

Yeah there's visual feedback of sound but no sound is being recorded or played. It has a proprietary plug that splits into the lime and pink 3.5mm jacks for the back or front of my case.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tuyop posted:

Yeah there's visual feedback of sound but no sound is being recorded or played. It has a proprietary plug that splits into the lime and pink 3.5mm jacks for the back or front of my case.
I'm not to familiar with discord, but generally in Windows you wouldn't hear your input device loop back to your output device by default. However if you did try recording, I can only confirm that, yes, you have a weird problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Any programs that will do microphone loopback without delays, like a mixer does? I wear headphones that block most sounds and I’d like to also use a mic at the same time but I find it very awkward to not be able to hear myself speaking.

I eventually figured this one out. It was a setting with my Realtek drivers the whole time! This video lays it out pretty well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxW03z-uZBc, but it's also just in the Sounds->Related Settings: Sound Control Panel->Speakers->Properties->Levels and turn up Microphone (or whatever your driver calls it).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Never install Realtek audio drivers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Speaking of audio drivers, I have a weird issue on my notebook where if I connect a headphone to the audio jack, I need to dial down the volume to 1-2% (that is one to two percent) or I get ear-shattering degrees of noise. I am not entirely sure where that all comes from, because the volume levels are fine over bluetooth. It's some kind of weird glitch in the settings, but I can't figure out how to correct it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

If I uninstall them, is there a default Windows driver that will take over?

I have a mobo with three jacks for front stereo, rear stereo, and sub/center. When I look at the audio settings, it seems to only be recognizing the front stereo jack. I get no sound from the other speakers.

I wanna say it's been like this ever since I got Windows 10 (aka years), but I honestly rarely do anything on the PC that is in surround, so I never really spent the time to troubleshoot. The above post made me look into it, but other than updating the driver from the mobo website, I don't know what else to try.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 14, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean it's like, my motherboard's Realtek drivers if that matters! And they've worked better than the other stuff I've tried. :(

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

If I uninstall them, is there a default Windows driver that will take over?

I have a mobo with three jacks for front stereo, rear stereo, and sub/center. When I look at the audio settings, it seems to only be recognizing the front stereo jack. I get no sound from the other speakers.

I wanna say it's been like this ever since I got Windows 10 (aka years), but I honestly rarely do anything on the PC that is in surround, so I never really spent the time to troubleshoot. The above post made me look into it, but other than updating the driver from the mobo website, I don't know what else to try.

Yes, the generic Windows driver will take over. On my system, all ports are recognized (including the front headphones jack):

If that doesn't help you, check whether your motherboard manufacturer has the newer Realtek HD Universal driver available (which uses the new DCH driver model)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I had a nice piece of software a while back that allowed you to take a re-sizeable snippet of a window and have it overlayed alwyas on top of everything else, it was good for watching youtube videos, any idea what this was called?