Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

When I connect via VPN to my work computer (Cisco AnyConnect), is all of my web traffic now funneled through my work network, even if I am accessing something outside of my remote desktop?

I am connected to my work VPN right now, but not to my remote desktop. I can go to my router setup page and see my home network info.

I ask because one of our web pages at work is throwing a SSL error and we've been doing testing. The page appears insecure on my remote desktop and on my home computer. Everyone else was showing it to be insecure only on their work laptops and not on their home computer.

I tried disabling my VPN connection and refreshed the page and the error went away on my home computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
VPNs funnel all your traffic through the network you are connected to. As the name says, it's a Virtual Private Network - for all practical purposes, your computer is part of your workplace network for as long as the connection persists.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends on if it's a full tunnel config or not. Try visiting a whatismyip web page and seeing if you get an address from your employer or your home internet connection.

Or click the little gear icon on the anyconnect window, it tells you the tunnel mode. If it has "split" in it some traffic is not going through the VPN (there's a couple different configurations, have fun with google).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

When I visit whatsmyipaddress.com on my remote desktop, I see one IP address. When I check outside of the remote desktop, it's another IP address.

When I check the gears icon on my Cisco app, it says:

Tunnel Mode (IPv4): Split Include
Tunnel Mode (IPv6): Drop All Traffic
Dynamic Tunnel Exclusion: None
Dynamic Tunnel Inclusion: None

What does that indicate?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

me your dad posted:

Tunnel Mode (IPv4): Split Include
Tunnel Mode (IPv6): Drop All Traffic
Dynamic Tunnel Exclusion: None
Dynamic Tunnel Inclusion: None

What does that indicate?
It means your VPN will tunnel requests to certain destinations but send other over your local connection. Which destinations these are depends on what the connection is set up for, but you should be able to find the configuration somewhere.

IPv6 Drop All Traffic means that it refuses to use IPv6 while you have the VPN activated, probably because AnyConnect does not support split traffic over IPv6. Some systems use IPv6 for DNS lookup, that might be why your connection fails. I don't think that's the case here, though, or the problem wouldn't be an SSL error. You just wouldn't be able to connect to the site at all.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 27, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Split Include" means some traffic goes through the VPN, some does not. It's based on subnets. On your windows client try running "route print" in a command window and seeing what's in there.. maybe with VPN on and VPN off, to get a sense of what it's doing to your routing tables.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have no idea how to decipher a routing table but I sure hope my work can't see where I go on my home computer :angel:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

me your dad posted:

I have no idea how to decipher a routing table but I sure hope my work can't see where I go on my home computer :angel:

If it's making you nervous, you can run RDP from within a VirtualBox virtual machine. You'll have multiple nested taskbars, but you'll know for a fact anything outside the VM isn't visible to your employer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anything like IINA for video files for Windows? VLC works great but IINA is very slick and minimal.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

me your dad posted:

If you go over to the Route Details tab, the address ranges listed under Secured Routes are the ones that get sent to the VPN.

tuyop posted:

Anything like IINA for video files for Windows? VLC works great but IINA is very slick and minimal.

I haven't used IINA, so I can't directly compare, but I like PotPlayer quite a bit.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm sorry, I know this has been asked&answered a lot but what are you folks using to rip audio from youtube?

im trying to put a song into a video clip & that seemed like the best way to get it

E: im just using the built in windows video editor if that matters

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm sorry, I know this has been asked&answered a lot but what are you folks using to rip audio from youtube?

im trying to put a song into a video clip & that seemed like the best way to get it

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.mediahuman.com/youtube-to-mp3-converter/

A lovely bit of freeware that is both simple and powerful.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I have a uBlock Origin question:

Running Edge with UO and overnight, it has stopped me viewing messages or generating postage labels.
After some experimentation, I worked out that disabling UO resolved the issue.
It's a vanilla install. I can't work out what it is blocking and why:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Moo the cow posted:

I have a uBlock Origin question:

Running Edge with UO and overnight, it has stopped me viewing messages or generating postage labels.
After some experimentation, I worked out that disabling UO resolved the issue.
It's a vanilla install. I can't work out what it is blocking and why:

The color on the left indicates what origin is blocked. Red meaning all current requests from there, yellow meaning some of them. There are probably some things on a blocklist you're subscribed to. If you want to go into more detail, you can open the logger (icon right next to the element picker) and reload the page. That will show you exactly which requests were blocked on account of which specific rule. And if you click on an entry, it will show you what list the rule is on. On the url rule tab, you can create very specific exceptions. On the static filter tab you can create a new static filter overruling what's in the block list in a broader sense.

If you don't want to go into the detail, just from the screen in your image, you can just click the left third of the rectangle with the minus in next to the ebay.com and ir.ebaystatic.com to make it green. This will allow the requests for this page only (because you're in the right column). Don't forget to click the lock to save afterwards if you want that.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

The color on the left indicates what origin is blocked. Red meaning all current requests from there, yellow meaning some of them. There are probably some things on a blocklist you're subscribed to. If you want to go into more detail, you can open the logger (icon right next to the element picker) and reload the page. That will show you exactly which requests were blocked on account of which specific rule. And if you click on an entry, it will show you what list the rule is on. On the url rule tab, you can create very specific exceptions. On the static filter tab you can create a new static filter overruling what's in the block list in a broader sense.

If you don't want to go into the detail, just from the screen in your image, you can just click the left third of the rectangle with the minus in next to the ebay.com and ir.ebaystatic.com to make it green. This will allow the requests for this page only (because you're in the right column). Don't forget to click the lock to save afterwards if you want that.

Thanks, that is extremely helpful. Much appreciated.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Note that newer versions of uBlock Origin want you to double-tap the Control key to get the green rectangles to show up since people were confused and thought they needed to use green when they only needed to use gray.

This is one of the times when you would want to use green instead of gray.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

Note that newer versions of uBlock Origin want you to double-tap the Control key to get the green rectangles to show up since people were confused and thought they needed to use green when they only needed to use gray.

This is one of the times when you would want to use green instead of gray.
I didn't know that. I also couldn't really think of a situation where I'd use gray, but after dipping into the wiki I think it's because I use uMatrix alongside it and the only time I have to interact with the uBlock advanced mode is exactly when it's static filters breaking a website.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I've been using it pretty much since it first came out and like most users, just left it on default for everything* and it's been pretty darn good. This is the first time it's caused an issue - I guess maybe a duff block list.

Now that I have to use it....it's not the most intuitive interface, is it?

*added a couple of custom filters only

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I didn't know that. I also couldn't really think of a situation where I'd use gray, but after dipping into the wiki I think it's because I use uMatrix alongside it and the only time I have to interact with the uBlock advanced mode is exactly when it's static filters breaking a website.

Green means it will override all of the network filters, which is generally not something people want to do. They were clicking it when they meant to just no-op a more strict advanced blocking rule, like if they had blocked third-party content.

Even so, if a network filter is causing an issue it's usually better to just write a specific whitelist filter rule for the necessary content than to force-allow all the other junk from that domain.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

tuyop posted:

MPV (IINA is based on it)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Just installed Windows Defender on one of our oldest 2008 R2 VMs to finally bring it into compliance.

I'm getting an error when trying to update the Defender definitions:

The program can't check for definition updates. Error found: 0x80072f8f. A security error occurred.

There is no error in the Windows Defender Application logs, System logs or Application logs on the box. I do see two schannel errors that occur when I click the 'Update' button but they are both generic and do not help in diagnosing the problem.

Any ideas on where I can even look to begin addressing this issue?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the video player recommendations! I'm trying out MPV now. I'm pretty happy with potplayer but I don't like its icons, haha.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wicaeed posted:

Just installed Windows Defender on one of our oldest 2008 R2 VMs to finally bring it into compliance.

Don't have a solution for you, but 2008r2 EOL was last December. You should really be upgrading.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Yes, they should have upgraded to new hw 5 years ago. The server HW is EOS next year, the OS is EOS, the database software is EOS.

But it's a business critical system so we are never allowed to make high impact changes to this system "Just in case it breaks something".

They bought a "400K IOPS All-Flash SSD" array to solve their performance issues, when in reality their performance issues were all due to the fact that the application they run only scales with single core clock speed and not multiple cores.

Non-technical people have a complete stranglehold of technical decision making at this company and it shows.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Clearly IT just needs to engineer harder. :colbert:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ynglaur posted:

Clearly IT just needs to engineer harder. :colbert:

They need to do computering gooder.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Looking for a better way than the file system to manage my iPod classic that I've recently resuscitated since it's dead as far iTunes is concerned. I got Rockbox up on it and started using Strawberry, but devices don't seem to be supported on Windows.
Edit: Also Foobar wants it to be formatted with the default iTunes library.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Looking for a better way than the file system to manage my iPod classic that I've recently resuscitated since it's dead as far iTunes is concerned. I got Rockbox up on it and started using Strawberry, but devices don't seem to be supported on Windows.
Edit: Also Foobar wants it to be formatted with the default iTunes library.

Not sure if it still supports classics, but try MediaMonkey?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Years ago I would use a tv tuner with antenna to watch tv using windows media center. Then WMC ceased to exist for some dumb unknown reason and I lost my tuner card. What's the best tv tuner card and software these days? Just want to be able to easily watch/record tv like it was on WMC.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Years ago I would use a tv tuner with antenna to watch tv using windows media center. Then WMC ceased to exist for some dumb unknown reason and I lost my tuner card. What's the best tv tuner card and software these days? Just want to be able to easily watch/record tv like it was on WMC.

https://sichbopvr.com/ no contest. Supports a lot of cards including my ancient hauppauge tuner.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
tips on a card? any happuage should do, no?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have no issues with my TBS 6281SE under Linux, other than the drivers aren't in the kernel by default so I have to recompile them every time the kernel is updated. That wouldn't apply to Windows.

They have a wide selection of card variations
https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs-tv-tuner-pcie.html

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a favorite beginner's guide or cheat sheet for Adobe Illustrator? My wife has a product tag for her business that lives as a .ai file, made by a freelancer. It's a layer of text over a white background, she's trying to change parts of the text but only some of it can be edited at-will, while other bits do completely bizarre stuff when you try to change them at all. Thinking that it's probably best to just re-make the tag from scratch but I don't know anything about Illustrator.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone have a favorite beginner's guide or cheat sheet for Adobe Illustrator? My wife has a product tag for her business that lives as a .ai file, made by a freelancer. It's a layer of text over a white background, she's trying to change parts of the text but only some of it can be edited at-will, while other bits do completely bizarre stuff when you try to change them at all. Thinking that it's probably best to just re-make the tag from scratch but I don't know anything about Illustrator.

I'd probably hit up any of the "illustrator in ten minutes" type tutorials that you find on YouTube. My guess is that some text is outlined shapes or the stacking of elements is goofing up.

Most complex part of illustrator is the pen tool which most students can take anywhere from one 2-3hr illustrator session to a couple of weeks to get the hang of -depends on the student. If you end up having to recreate it and it's a complex looking shape, that'll be some pen tool work. If that happens, just hit up a pen tool in ten minutes tutorial on YouTube.

Terry White has good tuts, but they're a lot longer than what you probably need.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Does anyone have a suggestion for converting video from a digital camera to the dvd format so I can burn them to disc?

A friend of mine asked for help converting video from cassettes to dvd so they don't need the camera to play them on the tv. I don't know the type of camera at the moment. From what I found by searching, the copying of the files from the camera should be easy enough. But I read that in order for it to be playable on dvd-players the video needs to be converted first. And that the type of dvd disc can matter as well.

I haven't tried the programs I've found yet as I don't have the data yet, but what I found is "dvdflick" but I'm not sure that will work on Windows 10. And also dvdstyler although that seems to come with a warning of having adware during installation.

Interested to hear of others experience with, preferable free software for this task.

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Windows 10 has some built in stuff as well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17205/windows-10-create-films-with-video-editor

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dvdstyler is good, just grab it from fosshub to avoid the adware

https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
This must come up regularly, but what's the latest recommendation for a free tool that lets me edit or complete PDF forms? I don't want something cloud-based.

I located Adobe Reader XI and it would be ok if it didn't hang for 10 seconds or so whenever it starts up. I've been happy with viewing them in my Firefox browser but can't edit them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Will have a look thanks.

Weedle posted:

dvdstyler is good, just grab it from fosshub to avoid the adware

https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html

Ah good to know, thanks!