Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Stupid uBlock Origin question: how do wildcards work?

e.g. the banner at the bottom of this page has the address:
code:
https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/d/9195.0001.gif
I've tried all the following rules and some of them should work, but don't, so I've clearly Got It Wrong

! 2020-09-16 https://forums.somethingawful.com
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/f/0/$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/f/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/f/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/*$image

||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/*.gif$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/d/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/f/0/*$image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Moo the cow posted:

Stupid uBlock Origin question: how do wildcards work?

e.g. the banner at the bottom of this page has the address:
code:
https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/d/9195.0001.gif
I've tried all the following rules and some of them should work, but don't, so I've clearly Got It Wrong

! 2020-09-16 https://forums.somethingawful.com
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/f/0/$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/$image

||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/*.gif$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/d/*$image
||fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/f/0/*$image

It seems to be like most wildcards where * matches anything from that character forward. I don't think $image is needed, try just * from that point forward. You can do fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/* or at a subdirectory below that. It worked for me with preview after trying the element picker and deleting the image name and replacing it with *.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Rexxed posted:

It seems to be like most wildcards where * matches anything from that character forward. I don't think $image is needed, try just * from that point forward. You can do fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/* or at a subdirectory below that. It worked for me with preview after trying the element picker and deleting the image name and replacing it with *.

That's what I thought would work, but it's still not working for me:

code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/a/2997.0001.gif[/img]
still appears.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Moo the cow posted:

That's what I thought would work, but it's still not working for me:

code:
[timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/a/2997.0001.gif[/timg]
still appears.

Well that's a puzzler. The exact same thing works for me. I use the element picker to click the ad, change the url to add the wildcard after goonbas/ just like you showed, and it goes away in preview. If I hit create it does show up in my filters as:
code:
! 2020-09-17 [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com[/url]
That kills the ads, even the Browse all ads url shows up as a blank page.
Maybe try a reload of the browser?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Rexxed posted:

Maybe try a reload of the browser?

You're a very clever person, you know?

Many thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gromit posted:

This must come up regularly, but what's the latest recommendation for a free tool that lets me edit or complete PDF forms? I don't want something cloud-based.

I located Adobe Reader XI and it would be ok if it didn't hang for 10 seconds or so whenever it starts up. I've been happy with viewing them in my Firefox browser but can't edit them there.

When you say you don't want something cloud-based, what do you mean? Despite the "Document Cloud" bit in the name, Acrobat Reader DC is locally installed and works with local documents. Why backtrack eight years to Reader XI?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I'm trying to remember the name of a free .pst viewer that had a great search facility - I seem to remember the GUI had red menus.

You could plug offline .psts into it and it indexed them - so searches were instant.

Ringing any bells? It looked like pro software, not freeware.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question:

I'm selling a Windows laptop. With Microsoft's Windows 10 system, how do I wipe the laptop but keep the license valid for the buyer? And can I install LibreOffice for the buyer after wiping without logging into my own MS account?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Toast Museum posted:

When you say you don't want something cloud-based, what do you mean? Despite the "Document Cloud" bit in the name, Acrobat Reader DC is locally installed and works with local documents. Why backtrack eight years to Reader XI?

Ah, ok. The name made me believe it required cloud connection and an account etc. I'll give it a go, then.

I didn't want something online-only, which a lot of pdf programs seem to be. That is, I don't want to be uploading my documents to the cloud in order to edit them.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 17, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Annath posted:

Question:

I'm selling a Windows laptop. With Microsoft's Windows 10 system, how do I wipe the laptop but keep the license valid for the buyer? And can I install LibreOffice for the buyer after wiping without logging into my own MS account?

Win10 does a hardware ID for the system that is saved on MS servers, so the activation / license should stay with the machine unless you have done something otherwise.

The reset option in settings (update & security -> recovery -> reset this pc) has "Remove Everything" which is pretty much the same as a clean install, removes all data, software, and user accounts. At some point they also added "and clean the drive" as an extra option, which also overwrites the drive with zeros. That should make your data pretty much unrecoverable, though it isn't the best method of doing so for a SSD*.

*Nor is it 100% effective at securely erasing all data on SSDs, but it's good enough for most purposes. Writing zeros to a SSD may leave some traces of data, but only for low-level tools and not generic consumer data recovery software. If you want full data security the best method with SSDs is to use a secure erase utility -- which will wipe the entire drive -- and then reinstall from scratch. If you have a HDD you can ignore this, as a single pass of zeros is nearly 100% effective on modern drives.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Klyith posted:

The reset option in settings (update & security -> recovery -> reset this pc) has "Remove Everything" which is pretty much the same as a clean install, removes all data, software, and user accounts.
On a sufficiently old and/or broken system, this can actually fail to work correctly and ruin your Windows installation instead of resetting things. At that point, the only thing you can do is to flatten everything and reinstall from a boot medium.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i certainly would never trust the “reset” function to work as well as or better than the ol’ usb wipe and reinstall. could just be an old-fashioned habit i guess

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have VEGAS Pro 14 installed and every time I boot my PC, I get a popup to upgrade. How do I get rid of this? I don't see anything related in the startup options. And I don't VEGAS boots anything on startup. I hardly ever use the program, I only got it cause it was super cheap and is useful to occasionally trim a video file.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uthor posted:

I have VEGAS Pro 14 installed and every time I boot my PC, I get a popup to upgrade. How do I get rid of this? I don't see anything related in the startup options. And I don't VEGAS boots anything on startup. I hardly ever use the program, I only got it cause it was super cheap and is useful to occasionally trim a video file.

evidently it's some secondary program called Magix Connect
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/how-to-prevent-popups-for-upgrade-to-vegas-pro-16--115519/
which you may or may not be able to uninstall separately from the rest of Vegas.

If you can nerd out on the command line, ffmpeg can do simple trims of most video files without re-encoding.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

Did you get that from Humble Bundle? I had a similar thing but can't remember which version from the bundle I got and it annoyed me so much I uninstalled it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yes, Humble Bundle. I tried looking for Magix, but didn't see it.

I rarely reboot, so I can live with it. Just every time I do, I remember again and look for a solution.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Uthor posted:

Yes, Humble Bundle. I tried looking for Magix, but didn't see it.

I rarely reboot, so I can live with it. Just every time I do, I remember again and look for a solution.

Get Autoruns:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Weedle posted:

i certainly would never trust the “reset” function to work as well as or better than the ol’ usb wipe and reinstall. could just be an old-fashioned habit i guess

Secure erase followed by clean install with deleting all partitions is the way to go. Especially if it's an older install. During the lifetime Microsoft has increased the size of recovery partition and enabled Reserved Storage by default for new installs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can anyone recommend a full-disk backup software to an external hard drive?

VVV thanks!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 21, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

~Coxy posted:

Can anyone recommend a full-disk backup software to an external hard drive?

Macrium reflect

VVV edit: yeah the free version, it does clones and images just fine. you don't need the paid unless you want to use it for differential / incremental backup.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 21, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Macrium reflect

Or Macrium Reflect Free.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MikusR posted:

Or Macrium Reflect Free.

This should be in the title IMO.

Its very good.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Advice re sorting .pst archives?

I've got a few years of emails stuffed into a 3.5Gb .pst - I created it by running the archive function of Outlook and trying to sort each year into a different subfolder.

I realise that it's a bit of a mess - some emails are present in more than one subfolder due to the archive function being a bit iffy. I want to sort them out.

Any thoughts on how to do it? I suppose I could run custom searches and manually drag them into the appropriate folders, but I suspect I may end up with lots of duplicates.

E: finally figured out Advanced Search for a date range search, then move them into a yearly folder, then using Outlook's Duplicate Remover to clear up - less painful than I imagined!

Moo the cow fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 21, 2020

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
I have a question on moving Windows.

I finished my new build a week or so ago and I have a few questions. I have windows installed on a 2TB NVMe and because I’m a bad person who hates money, I am buying a second, faster 1TB NVMe to move everything to. What’s the fastest way these days to move everything from the old NVMe to the new one?

My PC has two M.2 slots, the first being PCI-E 4.0 and the second being 3.0. Ideally the faster drive will be in the 4.0 slot (Where the slower one currently is) but I can swap them whenever is easiest/more convenient.

Normally I’d just reinstall windows, but I finally got everything set up the way I want it and would rather just transfer everything, which is currently sitting at 175gb of data in total.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DarkestLite posted:

I have a question on moving Windows.

I finished my new build a week or so ago and I have a few questions. I have windows installed on a 2TB NVMe and because I’m a bad person who hates money, I am buying a second, faster 1TB NVMe to move everything to. What’s the fastest way these days to move everything from the old NVMe to the new one?

My PC has two M.2 slots, the first being PCI-E 4.0 and the second being 3.0. Ideally the faster drive will be in the 4.0 slot (Where the slower one currently is) but I can swap them whenever is easiest/more convenient.

Normally I’d just reinstall windows, but I finally got everything set up the way I want it and would rather just transfer everything, which is currently sitting at 175gb of data in total.

Macrium Reflect Free

You can do the clone from inside windows.

MarcusSA posted:

This should be in the title IMO.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Klyith posted:

Macrium Reflect Free

You can do the clone from inside windows.

Perfect, I did glance the OP but if it was obviously there and I missed it I apologize!

When it comes to M.2 slots, should I swap the drives before, after, or it doesn’t matter?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DarkestLite posted:

Perfect, I did glance the OP but if it was obviously there and I missed it I apologize!

When it comes to M.2 slots, should I swap the drives before, after, or it doesn’t matter?

I’d probably just swap them after to be on the safe side.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DarkestLite posted:

Nah it's not in the OP, was just a joke because the same answer was a few posts up.

You should be able to do the swap before the clone, which will save you steps because you won't have to open the PC up again to swap afterwards. The asterisk is that you may need to change the boot order after you swap them to boot off the original drive in the 2nd position. Not sure though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there such a thing as a replacement start bar, or other app switcher?
The problem is a Citrix remote desktop thing that doesn't have one. You can minimise apps but then they just go to the bottom of the screen like it's Windows 3.1.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

~Coxy posted:

Is there such a thing as a replacement start bar, or other app switcher?
The problem is a Citrix remote desktop thing that doesn't have one. You can minimise apps but then they just go to the bottom of the screen like it's Windows 3.1.

You can run just about whatever you want in place of explorer.exe, but I'm not sure I follow what's happening with your current setup.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm guessing Citrix is doing just that, so there's no start bar. I want a program I can run that displays a list of running programs/windows.
I can put in a screenshot of my Citrix desktop but it's just going to be a big black window.

Edit: I found a AHK script that builds a custom alt-tab replacement on the fly, pretty good for remote desktops and Citrix: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35971452/what-is-the-right-way-to-send-alt-tab-in-ahk
I changed the bind to Alt+F1 which is not intercepted by Citrix.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 22, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Kind of a weird request but is there any software to redo and override Windows' audio and bluetooth settings?

I teach remotely and my day is like, a slightly stressful sequence of juggling different audio devices (headset with wired mic, bluetooth headset, a lav mic and my webcam mic in a pinch) in Teams calls and like, Captivate and other recording tools.

Each time I switch poo poo around I have to like, click on Windows audio settings and adjust both inputs, and adjust both from Teams, or sometimes even open the bluetooth menu and click connect on the device because Windows can't manage bluetooth properly in 2020 somehow.

So I guess I'm looking for something that can just reduce the amount of clicking. I accept that this may just not be an option since it'll only introduce another link in the chain but it would save me so many clicks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

You can run just about whatever you want in place of explorer.exe, but I'm not sure I follow what's happening with your current setup.
Can I change my shell to progman again like you could in windows 9x by editing the ini file?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tuyop posted:

Kind of a weird request but is there any software to redo and override Windows' audio and bluetooth settings?

I teach remotely and my day is like, a slightly stressful sequence of juggling different audio devices (headset with wired mic, bluetooth headset, a lav mic and my webcam mic in a pinch) in Teams calls and like, Captivate and other recording tools.

Each time I switch poo poo around I have to like, click on Windows audio settings and adjust both inputs, and adjust both from Teams, or sometimes even open the bluetooth menu and click connect on the device because Windows can't manage bluetooth properly in 2020 somehow.

So I guess I'm looking for something that can just reduce the amount of clicking. I accept that this may just not be an option since it'll only introduce another link in the chain but it would save me so many clicks.

I think this nirsoft tool allows you to create presets for your device levels and mute states. Don't know how much of the problem that solves.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just moved and realized I forgot my wired keyboard. I only have Bluetooth devices that aren't paired with my Windows desktop, so I have no way to log in. Is there some way around this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does your mouse work? There's an on screen keyboard that should be accessible from the log in screen.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nope, both of my mice here are Bluetooth. I do have an xbox controller though, lol.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a way to tell Win 10 not to bring displays out of power save just because there are notifications? I keep coming in the morning and finding out that my monitor has been on for hours because two of my friends had a 4am chat on some Discord channel where I have notifications enabled, or someone Signalled me after I went AFK.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I think you need to go into advanced power settings and turn off Allow Wake Timers for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Is there anything inherently wrong with using a .pst as an archive for email?

Once a year I make a copy of my emails from the year and add them to a .pst. It's nearly 4GB now.

I don't actually use this to access them very often: maybe open it in Outlook 4 times a year and I am setting up Mailstore Home which extracts everything and makes a searchable achive using its own database, so it's not like there are many opportunities to break it, but I know that people get funny looks on their faces when people mention multi-GB .psts and I was wondering if there was a generally-accepted Better Way to do this?