Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have some old TP Link Powerline repeaters. The utility to manage them is now showing this image instead of loading normally. I'm guessing it's written in Flash and it's loving up after Windows stopped supporting it.

Are there any workarounds to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have some old TP Link Powerline repeaters. The utility to manage them is now showing this image instead of loading normally. I'm guessing it's written in Flash and it's loving up after Windows stopped supporting it.

What browser do you use? If you have one that doesn't have flash at all, like firefox out of the box, does it display a different page?

Temporary fix: set the date on your pc back 2 days, configure the thing, reset date.

Permanent fix: you say they're old, but have you updated their firmware to whatever the last supported version is? TP Link's poo poo got compromised by a worm that redirected people to install malicious versions of flash under the guise of a flash update a number of years ago. I'd bet that a bunch of stuff got new firmware to drop flash after that. Honestly if they're so old they haven't had a firmware update in 3+ years I'd be thinking about getting rid of them anyways.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You can also allow specific Flash apps based on URL

https://jclsn.medium.com/end-of-adobe-flash-player-520109caa05a

But like the above poster said, if the most updated version of this app is using Flash .... find something else, these people don't know what they're doing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't use flash in 2021. Thank you.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mystes posted:

Don't use flash in 2021. Thank you.

Not an emptyquote

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

What browser do you use? If you have one that doesn't have flash at all, like firefox out of the box, does it display a different page?

It's vendor software, not a web portal. Although it's very probable that the app itself is just some sort of wrapper for IE or something like that, but the point is that I can't just switch browsers.

Klyith posted:

Temporary fix: set the date on your pc back 2 days, configure the thing, reset date.

This worked, goddamn computers are dumb, thanks!

Klyith posted:

Permanent fix: you say they're old, but have you updated their firmware to whatever the last supported version is? TP Link's poo poo got compromised by a worm that redirected people to install malicious versions of flash under the guise of a flash update a number of years ago. I'd bet that a bunch of stuff got new firmware to drop flash after that. Honestly if they're so old they haven't had a firmware update in 3+ years I'd be thinking about getting rid of them anyways.

Yeah, it's the latest. Yes, I'm probably going to replace them soon, but they've been a JustWorksTM solution for the past 6 or so years. They're not web facing anyway so I'm not too worried about vulns.

Thanks again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

It's vendor software, not a web portal. Although it's very probable that the app itself is just some sort of wrapper for IE or something like that, but the point is that I can't just switch browsers.
Ahahaha lol, that's even sillier.

This worked, goddamn computers are dumb, thanks!

It works because adobe's just using a simple date check for their shutoff.

However, at some point in the near future a Win10 update will be going out that uninstalls the flash that comes with win10 out of the box. At that point your only options will be to reinstall flash, which will no longer be getting security updates at all.

If you wanna keep these APs and only need to use the configuration program once in a great while, I'd recommend grabbing an older version of flash (from before they added the shutoff date check), and use windows sandbox when you need to muck with the APs. Little bit tedious -- starting a sandbox, installing flash & the TPlink app, then configuring your stuff is a few extra steps -- but it means you don't have a critically vulnerable program on your machine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How long do 2tb mechanical HDDs usually take to quick format from a clean install? I'm doing it from the boot USB and in diskpart. The status has been stuck on 0 for the past 30 minutes. Is this normal? Its been forever since I did this to a non-ssd hard drive so I can't remember how long it takes or if I had this problem before. How long should I give it? If nothing doesn't change, any possible fixes or tips?

Thanks!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 14, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jimbot posted:

How long do 2tb mechanical HDDs usually take to format from a clean install? I'm doing it from the boot USB and in diskpart. The status has been stuck on 0 for the past 30 minutes. Is this normal? Its been forever since I did this to a non-ssd hard drive so I can't remember how long it takes or if I had this problem before. How long should I give it? If nothing doesn't change, any possible fixes or tips?

Thanks!
Are you doing a quick format?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

mystes posted:

Are you doing a quick format?

Goodness yes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jimbot posted:

How long do 2tb mechanical HDDs usually take to quick format from a clean install? I'm doing it from the boot USB and in diskpart. The status has been stuck on 0 for the past 30 minutes. Is this normal? Its been forever since I did this to a non-ssd hard drive so I can't remember how long it takes or if I had this problem before. How long should I give it? If nothing doesn't change, any possible fixes or tips?

Thanks!

That is very much not normal, it should be super quick. You might want to run a diag on it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Medullah posted:

That is very much not normal, it should be super quick. You might want to run a diag on it.

Any one in particular? Chkdsk doesn't let me on an unformatted partition.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Thanks!

Depends on speed of drive.
90 Mb/s —- 6.17 hours

100 Mb/s — 5.56 hours

110 Mb/s — 5.05 hours

120 Mb/s — 4.63 hours

130 Mb/s — 4.27 hours

140 Mb/s — 3.97 hours

mystes
May 31, 2006

MikusR posted:

90 Mb/s —- 6.17 hours

100 Mb/s — 5.56 hours

110 Mb/s — 5.05 hours

120 Mb/s — 4.63 hours

130 Mb/s — 4.27 hours

140 Mb/s — 3.97 hours
Have you heard the good news about our lord and savior quick format?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mystes posted:

Have you heard the good news about our lord and savior quick format?

Quick format doesn't take 30 minutes, so either an accidental full format or faulty drive/cable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikusR posted:

Quick format just writes a partition table & file system, and does nothing to the rest of the drive. It should be near-instant on anything faster than a 3.5" floppy.

Jimbot posted:

Any one in particular? Chkdsk doesn't let me on an unformatted partition.

If this disk has nothing on it, you could use diskpart clean. Installing from a usb win10 media, you can get to the command line by pressing shift+f10.

Note that if you have any other drives with data on them on this PC, diskpart has a weird text adventure interface and few protections against mistakes, so you should amke double-sure that you're selecting & cleaning the right disk. Or remove other drives besides the usb & the 2tb if you're unsure of yourself.

diskpart clean overwrites the very first sectors of the drive with zeros. if it errors out, your drive is probably busted.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I did Diskpart and thankfully the drive is fine. I just replaced the cable and everything is working fine now. I didn't think to change it out because the Windows 10 install picked up the drive just fine. But I guess I'll do that first from now on if I run into similar problems and save myself the time and energy.

Thanks for all the replies!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jimbot posted:

I just replaced the cable and everything is working fine now.

argh right, I forgot to say that one.

I dunno what they make sata cables out of but they have a bizarrely high failure rate for a simple wire.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Quick format just writes a partition table & file system, and does nothing to the rest of the drive. It should be near-instant on anything faster than a 3.5" floppy.

jimbot didn't say it was a quick format at first

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Can someone please explain these options and whatever they imply to me in a way that makes sense? I'm somehow a professional developer and I've been googling this for years and have still never got a good grasp on it.

Maybe it's just the unintuitive way that Cancel is a valid way to proceed (I think?). Like I'm guessing if I have one PC at home, I don't give a poo poo about these networking options and it's fine that the firewall is blocking them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cancel doesn't stop it from modifying your firewall rules, if you bring up the rules table (search the start menu for firewall, in the resulting control panel click advanced) you'll see stuff still gets added to the inbound chain.

I don't have any better advice than that though, windows firewall is clear as mud to me. But if you're really worried about it the inbound rules are where you'll want to audit stuff.. deleting rules you don't want is pretty straight forward.

For a home lan there's a good argument for disabling it entirely and relying on your router to filter for you but windows likes to nag you about how unsafe you are if it's turned off.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VagueRant posted:

Can someone please explain these options and whatever they imply to me in a way that makes sense? I'm somehow a professional developer and I've been googling this for years and have still never got a good grasp on it.

Maybe it's just the unintuitive way that Cancel is a valid way to proceed (I think?). Like I'm guessing if I have one PC at home, I don't give a poo poo about these networking options and it's fine that the firewall is blocking them?

Windows firewall can prevent programs from opening sockets and making network connections. If there's a new program that tries to open one it will pop that up to make sure you want to do it. It has a different set of behaviors for private networks and public networks, where the assumption is that devices on your subnet are allowed to connect for a private network but not for a public one (so everyone on the subnet at the local café can't get into your network shares or whatever, but you can at home).

In this specific case only logitech knows what their driver package wants access to the network for. My suspicion would be that it's providing logitech with analytics data (because everyone does this now) and checking for updates to itself. It also might grab profiles for specific games, although I don't know anyone who uses those. I think you'll be safe blocking it if you want to but it probably wouldn't hurt to let it access the network either. Once you save the profile you want to your mouse you don't even need the software for it to work as programmed since it's got onboard memory that keeps all of its settings.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure it wants to open up sockets for the app-based control/second screen features they offer with some keyboards.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah sounds essential for Logitech Flow

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xzzy posted:

For a home lan there's a good argument for disabling it entirely and relying on your router to filter for you but windows likes to nag you about how unsafe you are if it's turned off.

For the firewall it thankfully only nags you once at logon, so if you rarely reboot you almost never see it.

Also I have LGS installed, for me lcore.exe is on the startup list but then apparently quits by itself. All I have is a G700 mouse and it's set to on-board profiles, so it looks like logi are at least being good about not running their stuff all the time if you're not using any of the features that need it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cancel means "I agree with you blocking that", the other things are "No, remove the block and make an allow rule according to these specs".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would personally recommend using something like Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control. Unlike many other options, it does not actually replace the standard Windows firewall or make it behave any differently, it just gives you a much more clearly formatted interface with more information and control over what is going on.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

There's no good argument for doing this, it increases the attack surface from corrupted devices inside your LAN a great deal. Home routers have been mass-compromised plenty of times, trusting anything inside the LAN is a bad idea.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no good argument for doing this, it increases the attack surface from corrupted devices inside your LAN a great deal. Home routers have been mass-compromised plenty of times, trusting anything inside the LAN is a bad idea.

Look I've had the same firmware and same password on my router for 15 years now and no one has broken into my Windows Vista machines

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

For a home lan there's a good argument for disabling it entirely and relying on your router to filter for you

That's really dangerous advice.

If anything, it's the other way around: people buy always-online internet of poo poo devices and stick them on their home network, many of which do not receive updates and are just waiting for the next Mirai. While there's of course no guarantee Windows Firewall would protect you, it's better than leaving the machine wide-open.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

astral posted:

That's really dangerous advice.

If anything, it's the other way around: people buy always-online internet of poo poo devices and stick them on their home network, many of which do not receive updates and are just waiting for the next Mirai. While there's of course no guarantee Windows Firewall would protect you, it's better than leaving the machine wide-open.

It's super bad advice because telling people their NAT router is "a firewall" is really inaccurate. NAT provides some protection from threats on the internet, but it ain't a firewall. The average router does not run any firewalling ootb and when you do enable the firewall features they're primitive and totally manual. Plus routers themselves are a target these days.

OTOH I also think that turning off windows firewall, on a home network behind a good router that's kept up to date, is an acceptable convenience vs security decision. It's not a "good argument for turning it off" though. You are less secure, but as you kinda say the attackers are generally looking for holes in stuff that the firewall is configured to allow by default (or that large numbers of people have pressed the allow button on). Windows firewall is unlikely to be effective at blocking a zero day attack on windows services.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
TBF, hardly anything is likely to block a zero-day attack on integral parts of your OS. That's just not something consumer-grade security is built to handle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I cant think of the last time I had to modify any windows firewall settings at home. It's quite unobtrusive

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I cant think of the last time I had to modify any windows firewall settings at home. It's quite unobtrusive

Same. The buttons on the alert box should probably be allow/block instead of allow/cancel, and it would be nice if it gave once/always options for each, but I've never really had cause for complaint otherwise.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Windows firewall can prevent programs from opening sockets and making network connections. If there's a new program that tries to open one it will pop that up to make sure you want to do it. It has a different set of behaviors for private networks and public networks, where the assumption is that devices on your subnet are allowed to connect for a private network but not for a public one (so everyone on the subnet at the local café can't get into your network shares or whatever, but you can at home).

In this specific case only logitech knows what their driver package wants access to the network for. My suspicion would be that it's providing logitech with analytics data (because everyone does this now) and checking for updates to itself. It also might grab profiles for specific games, although I don't know anyone who uses those. I think you'll be safe blocking it if you want to but it probably wouldn't hurt to let it access the network either. Once you save the profile you want to your mouse you don't even need the software for it to work as programmed since it's got onboard memory that keeps all of its settings.

I'm pretty sure windows firewall only does the popup thing for opening sockets. If you want to block outgoing connections like telemetry and updates, you can, but it'll be a silent block and a pain in the butt.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

couldnt find a better place to ask this: what's currently the best way to edit a pdf file in windows? is there a program (free, preferably) that works best for this? i'm talking about things like changing the existing text in the file

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

couldnt find a better place to ask this: what's currently the best way to edit a pdf file in windows? is there a program (free, preferably) that works best for this? i'm talking about things like changing the existing text in the file

Not sure how well it works for that purpose, but LibreOffice Draw can edit PDFs.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You can also try opening them up in Word and then printing to PDF, it can work surprisingly well.

That said, I use PDF XChange Editor (from the unfortunately named Tracker Software company). A lot of the features aren't free, but it's really good and you can try it out for free.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
(pc xpost)

I have an msi gaming edge b550 and just updated the latest chipset drivers. For some reason I plugged my a7iii into one of the usb 3.2 ports with a usb 3 cable and windows is telling me it isn't connected to a usb 3 port. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Even checked the drivers for the usb 3.0 root hub device in device manager and it had no updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Not sure how well it works for that purpose, but LibreOffice Draw can edit PDFs.

thanks! turns out the program i needed was the one i already had installed, it works perfectly for what i wanted to do