Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

Thanks, huh yeah it's doing the same thing (giving me a full line of characters when I only want six).

It's in order to get through Datto's 2FA if that helps. I'm unfamiliar with mobile tech and I obviously can't scan this stupid poo poo with a flip phone.

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you trying to setup an OTP two-factor account with a QR code? If you are you need a OTP app to read the QR code. The QR code is a nice way of sending a human a very large binary encoded secret that's used by the OTP algorithm to calculate the 6 digits used when challenged. I'm not sure where "flip phone" came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The QR code contains a "seed" which is used by the TOTP app to calculate the code you need to enter based on the current time. There's no encryption. This is a widely supported standard, if you don't have a phone handy pretty much all password managers support TOTP as well (Lastpass, 1password, Dashlane, Bitwarden etc.). An Open Source tool to do this would be https://keepassxc.org/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

gariig posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you trying to setup an OTP two-factor account with a QR code? If you are you need a OTP app to read the QR code. The QR code is a nice way of sending a human a very large binary encoded secret that's used by the OTP algorithm to calculate the 6 digits used when challenged. I'm not sure where "flip phone" came from.
I'm trying to log into Datto. It's requiring me to enable 2FA before I can log in and the only option is through scanning a QR code on the screen and then entering whatever 6-digit verification code appears afterwards. I do not have a smartphone to do this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You want an Authenticator. There appear to be two dozen in the Windows Store, but I don't know any of them and can't suggest one, much less know if any are compromised. Usually you want this on a second device than the one you are logging in on so you need both devices to log in.

You can also get extensions for Chrome and Firefox.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

I'm trying to log into Datto. It's requiring me to enable 2FA before I can log in and the only option is through scanning a QR code on the screen and then entering whatever 6-digit verification code appears afterwards. I do not have a smartphone to do this.

Like most people said you need an TOTP (Timebased One Time Password). I'd suggest Authy which has a Windows app. You can also look to see if Datto supports SMS TOTP, where you request a token and Datto will send you a code. Just note SMS is pretty broken and if someone really wants to hack you it's super easy to spoof your phone number and receive the SMS code

EDIT: Also, having it on the same device does defeat the purpose some. However, if someone has your laptop and password to your laptop things are probably worse

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If someone has physical access to your device you are hosed pretty much no matter what, so at that point it doesn't even matter anymore.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

gariig posted:

Like most people said you need an TOTP (Timebased One Time Password). I'd suggest Authy which has a Windows app. You can also look to see if Datto supports SMS TOTP, where you request a token and Datto will send you a code. Just note SMS is pretty broken and if someone really wants to hack you it's super easy to spoof your phone number and receive the SMS code

EDIT: Also, having it on the same device does defeat the purpose some. However, if someone has your laptop and password to your laptop things are probably worse
I'd be happy with SMS but no, the only option is this dumb QR code scanner.

Finally managed to get in using an old lovely tablet I had in a drawer somewhere. Will explore the Authenticator options once I'm not seething with rage about stupid assholes constantly trying to integrate mobile tech into home office business software. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and narrowing down what I actually need to start figuring out!

RELATED: My bank removed the ability to scan & deposit checks with my scanner and I'm PISSED.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 29, 2021

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Any company that replaces SMS MFA with TOTP MFA should be praised, not condemned

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I have a question for the dudes and dudettes who are experts at Excel. I use Excel for my invoices, which are usually day rates type of deals, but I have another gig that does hourly, and I'm trying to adapt my template.

Total Hours = X
Hours Hourly = Y
Hours Bonus = Z

So, basically, I get a flat rate for the first two hours of work. After that, I am hourly up until 5PM. After 5PM the Bonus Hourly is a different rate.

I'm trying to figure out the formula in excel, it would be total hours, minus 2. And then I would need to differentiate between the hours of the day. It seems like there would be an if(hour = < 5:PM) kind of deal? Right now, the fields that I manually enter are START TIME/END TIME/TOTAL HOURS

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Here's what I came up with. It may not be the most efficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VpIuLyJVuSvW5CLzjb84cDPe_wPhPKfo/view?usp=drivesdk

Enter a start and end time. There's a cell somewhere defining "5 PM" (as I didn't know how to reference it otherwise). Calculates the total number of hours. Calculates the total number of hours and the number of hours after 5 PM, does a flat rate for the first two hours, and hourly rate up until 5 PM, and a bonus rate after 5 PM. Also just gives the flat rate if less than 2 hours. Everything should be a variable except that 2 hours is hard coded into the formula.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 29, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can just do something like MAX(cellwithtime - TIME(17,0,0), 0) * rate for the part after 5 pm.

Also there's an excel thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Uthor posted:

Here's what I came up with. It may not be the most efficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VpIuLyJVuSvW5CLzjb84cDPe_wPhPKfo/view?usp=drivesdk

Enter a start and end time. There's a cell somewhere defining "5 PM" (as I didn't know how to reference it otherwise). Calculates the total number of hours. Calculates the total number of hours and the number of hours after 5 PM, does a flat rate for the first two hours, and hourly rate up until 5 PM, and a bonus rate after 5 PM. Also just gives the flat rate if less than 2 hours. Everything should be a variable except that 2 hours is hard coded into the formula.

That's awesome, thanks! I'm pretty sure I can parse your formulas, they look pretty straightforward. And I can just make a cell with that value and call the cell in a formula or something. I really appreciate that.

mystes posted:

You can just do something like MAX(cellwithtime - TIME(17,0,0), 0) * rate for the part after 5 pm.

Also there's an excel thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

I didn't know TIME was a defined variable, that helps, too. Thanks for think to the thread, I didn't see it when I searched through, but I could just be an idiot.

EDIT: Your both powers combined, it works perfectly now, thanks fellas.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 29, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Are there any more apps like EarTrumpet, i.e. improved UI for basic windows actions that require an unnecessary number of clicks? Bluetooth and Ethernet would be especially nice.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

Are there any more apps like EarTrumpet, i.e. improved UI for basic windows actions that require an unnecessary number of clicks? Bluetooth and Ethernet would be especially nice.

You can add Bluetooth & Network buttons to the quick access section of the Notifications bar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Bluetooth is there I think by default, but if you want to connect a device that you use with more than one host, you've got to open the full BT settings, which is kind of dumb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Double-click the icon, pick the device you want to connect, and click connect. That doesn't seem so onerous.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

I'd be happy with SMS but no, the only option is this dumb QR code scanner.

Finally managed to get in using an old lovely tablet I had in a drawer somewhere. Will explore the Authenticator options once I'm not seething with rage about stupid assholes constantly trying to integrate mobile tech into home office business software. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and narrowing down what I actually need to start figuring out!

RELATED: My bank removed the ability to scan & deposit checks with my scanner and I'm PISSED.

Removing the ability to use your scanner definitely sucks, boo on them. But using TOTP is a good thing, and it's not inherently a "mobile" thing, despite the awkward QR code setup they went with.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

What 3rd world country uses checks?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The United States.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MikusR posted:

I refinanced this fall.

There was a problem with the appraisal, so the process took more than a full payment cycle.

I got a check for the escrow changes. A check for the difference in principal between financing and closing. And an interest refund check for the same period. All paper, spaced like 2 weeks apart.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MikusR posted:

Well, I hope they check things, but cheques? I haven't ever used one, but then I don't live in the US

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Well, I hope they check things, but cheques? I haven't ever used one, but then I don't live in the US

I'm Canadian also and I think they actually write it as "checks" for some reason, zut alors.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do you guys know what some common reasons why a screen saver won't activate? It was working fine until yesterday.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Can anyone recommend a good video editing program, preferably free, for me?

I have over 200 episodes of a tv show that I want to cut the intro and end credits from, and am looking for something that can be used to easily do lots of edits like that. Either as a batch (remove the final 40 seconds from every selected file in folder), or a shortcut that I can set up (open each file and press CTRL+P or whatever to remove the next 40 seconds), or something similar.

I've grabbed a couple random free ones so far, and they are all overly complicated and take way too many steps to do what I want.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I have over 200 episodes of a tv show that I want to cut the intro and end credits from, and am looking for something that can be used to easily do lots of edits like that. Either as a batch (remove the final 40 seconds from every selected file in folder), or a shortcut that I can set up (open each file and press CTRL+P or whatever to remove the next 40 seconds), or something similar.

I've grabbed a couple random free ones so far, and they are all overly complicated and take way too many steps to do what I want.
Everything is pretty much based on ffmpeg one way or another, and `ffmpeg -ss` with `-c copy` is what you want.

What you have to remember though is that you can't just trim video arbitrarily, because not all frames are complete frames (keyframes), so you should probably inspect a video, navigate by keyframe and pick the closest one you want to trim by. Otherwise you're not going to trim at the exact timestamp without some issues. The MPC video players should all have the ability to seek by keyframe somewhere in the hotkey list. It's going to be a little harder to do accurately with the outro, unless it happens at the exact same time each episode for the specified reasons.

Test a single video before you queue up a batch job.

I just use the Ubuntu subsystem in W10 to run batch commands because the syntax is easier, but you can also do a Windows batch job in the command prompt or PowerShell.

To install ffmpeg, just download the .zip to a folder and add the folder to PATH in your Windows environment variable settings, and "ffmpeg" should work as a command now.

EDIT: You could also give LosslessCut a shot.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 31, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

ufarn posted:

Everything is pretty much based on ffmpeg one way or another, and `ffmpeg -ss` with `-c copy` is what you want.

What you have to remember though is that you can't just trim video arbitrarily, because not all frames are complete frames (keyframes), so you should probably inspect a video, navigate by keyframe and pick the closest one you want to trim by. Otherwise you're not going to trim at the exact timestamp without some issues. The MPC video players should all have the ability to seek by keyframe somewhere in the hotkey list. I'm assuming that ffmpeg will take a timestamp and go to the nearest frame,

Test a single video before you queue up a batch job.

I just use the Ubuntu subsystem in W10 to run batch commands because the syntax is easier, but you can also do a Windows batch job in the command prompt or PowerShell.

To install ffmpeg, just download the .zip to a folder and add the folder to PATH in your Windows environment variable settings, and "ffmpeg" should work as a command now.

Oh wow, thank you! I had no idea such commands existed, time to learn some new stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I see that you figured out another way with the poster above but not sure if you tried Davinci Resolve, it's free and one of the best video editors for $0 for general use.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Narzack posted:

Do you guys know what some common reasons why a screen saver won't activate? It was working fine until yesterday.

Nope! I couldn’t get anyone to give a good explanation either when I had the same problem.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Another possible solution depends on what video player you want to use. At least VLC has plugins available to skip automatically.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I see that you figured out another way with the poster above but not sure if you tried Davinci Resolve, it's free and one of the best video editors for $0 for general use.

I second this

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Nope! I couldn’t get anyone to give a good explanation either when I had the same problem.

Well, shoot. Did it ever resolve itself?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I'll check that out if I can't wrap my head around typing raw code into command prompts, thanks.

Saukkis posted:

Another possible solution depends on what video player you want to use. At least VLC has plugins available to skip automatically.

Sadly no, I'm using my computer as a file host and then watching the stuff on a terrible program on the PS4 (its the only way), so the file needs to be chopped up.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

If you've ever used Plex, it now detects intros, so you can skip them and starts the countdown for the next episode during credits

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Narzack posted:

If you've ever used Plex, it now detects intros, so you can skip them and starts the countdown for the next episode during credits

Thats what I'm using, but it still requires you to push the buttons. I'm wanting them gone so when my partner is bingewatching adventure time when cross-stitching, she doesn't have to deal with it at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Narzack posted:

Well, shoot. Did it ever resolve itself?

No it didn’t. I just put the computer to sleep now instead :shrug:

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get an .iso of SQL Server 2008 R2? I have a license, but for the life of me I can't find the aqctual media ANYWHERE.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Does this provide the download you need? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26113

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Unfortunately not. As far as I understand that's a full image of Win 2K8 Server with SQL 2008 already installed. I'm hoping to get SQL up on my W2K12 server so I'd need the installer. Thanks anyway though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LiterallyAnything posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get an .iso of SQL Server 2008 R2? I have a license, but for the life of me I can't find the aqctual media ANYWHERE.

I know you probably know but I have to say "you know that's long past End of Life", right? I know it's common sense but I work with multi billion dollar companies that are still on 2008 and come audit time are shocked, SHOCKED to find out their software is obsolete. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look, they only just bought it, OK?