Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any remote programs that can send an actual keystroke to another computer rather than a virtual one? I use a program to mimic Playstation buttons by remapping the number pad on my keyboard, but if I remote into it it sends the number buttons rather than the remapped button. I saw IP KVMs are an option, but way too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Is there a tool I can use to remove pages from a PDF? I scanned in a single-sided document double-sided and want to get rid of the extra blank pages.

I did google this but all I could find was Acrobat (don't have it), and a handful of questionable online and/or sketchy software links.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GhostScript is probably your best bet, this StackExchange gives the formula:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/509030

code:
  gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite     \
     -sPageList=odd         \
     -sOutputFile=odd.pdf   \
     -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE      \
     file.pdf

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've used pdfsam (pdf split and merge) for that in te past, but I haven't kept up with whether it's gone to poo poo now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This might not be the place to ask but something odd has been happening.

I recently started leaving my PC on all night and the last few days I’ve woken up and my computer has Firefox running. Yesterday it was MSN.com, which I’ve never been to. Today it had my router homepage loaded (192.168.etc).

That last one is weirding me out. This PC is 99% for gaming. In the background at night I run nothing except a BitTorrent client. I don’t run anything I seed and lately it’s just been free ebook collections.

Windows full scan brought up nothing.

Edit: this time it loaded my router settings page but it showed http://www.msftconnecttest.com as the URL.
Pretty sure I picked up a virus somewhere.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 4, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Time for a wipe and windows reinstall my dude. Also your whole network might be compromised with a backdoor if they got access to the router.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lame. Really wondering how I picked it up but oh well.

Ok so moving forward, this is my only PC on the network, everything else is gaming consoles and iOS devices. What's step 2? Factory router reset and changing all passwords?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make sure you have all the details you need to set your internet connection back up before you factory reset the router, maybe do a reset, flash the latest firmware on again from the vendor site, factory default it again, and then set it up and change the admin password.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also if it matters, my router/modem is locked from any real settings access with a long complicated password that isn't "admin" or "guest."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Don't forget to change your passwords.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rolo posted:

In the background at night I run nothing except a BitTorrent client.

So I'd probably be going with nuke from orbit, but there are two things I can think of that are less than a full virus / trojan / malware compromise of the PC.

#1 is that some bittorrent clients have a remote-management option. The app doesn't run elevated so it shouldn't be a path to total system compromise, but I could easily see it being attacked in such a way to open browser windows. (A normal feature is remotely telling the app to download a torrent file and start it.) So if you're using outdated or weird bittorrent software, check that.

#2 https://www.msftconnecttest.com is a legit microsoft-operated domain, it's what windows uses to check if a network connection has actual internet access or not. There are malware that produce that as a symptom, but also you can get a browser opened to that by network mis-configs or DNS hijacks. Router malware exists.

Rolo posted:

What's step 2? Factory router reset and changing all passwords?

I would make the router step 1 actually, if you want to put off :pt: for a day or two to check the other possibilities.

Write down the major settings of the router, do a reset, and then update the firmware. If your router is ancient and doesn't have firmware updates past like 2016 consider getting a new one.

edit:

Rolo posted:

Also if it matters, my router/modem is locked from any real settings access with a long complicated password that isn't "admin" or "guest."
By default almost all routers don't expose settings or other access to the WAN (outside world) side, but that doesn't help if the router software has a security hole and can be remotely compromised.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 4, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok, I'm going to do router today. It's a fairly newly updated (I'll check again) AT&T BGW210-700. Normally I'd use my own hardware but I'm now on fiber, behind the times, and don't know what my options are for replacing a fiber modem. I promise I will look though. Here's some more details:

-As a test, I reset my router and when it came back online the issue replicated. Loaded a browser on its own with some AT&T tips telling me to check cables and plugs. When the connection completes it loaded my router's main page with the 'msftconnect' url at the top and leaves it there. It did not do this before a few days ago.

-I recently wiped my computer after some hardware changes. The install is about a month old, to the point that I haven't purged anything in my downloads folder. I looked through and it's just first party apps like Steam, Chrome and drivers, no weird freeware I decided to take for a ride.

-The client I'm using is qBittorrent 4.3.3. Only non-stock settings were turning off DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer Discovery. Trying to keep everything in the community I'm using.

-I'm not too up to speed on what anti-virus software is king, but after doing a full windows scan I did one with Avast, MalwareBytes and HitmanPro. All 3 found 0 threats.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did some digging on my routers firmware. It’s seemingly impossible to find an actual support page for this piece of hardware/firmware. Everything is years old or an AT&T support page telling me to restart my router.

Turns out not has the provider started pushing updates automatically, a new one dropped the first night this started happening. I think I've been had by my ISP.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 4, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's almost always best to use a router of your own and bridge the ISP modem into it. More secure, less of a target IMO.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

It's almost always best to use a router of your own and bridge the ISP modem into it. More secure, less of a target IMO.

Yep, plus you dont have to reconfuckure Wi-Fi passwords or whatever if you move or switch ISPs. Plus ISPs give out poo poo modems anyway, or at least they used to

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I actually already have an archer a6 that I use for dedicated wireless VR. It’s hard wired to my modem/router combo.

Just disconnect everything and throw it all on the A6?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rolo posted:

Just disconnect everything and throw it all on the A6?

Yeah, but also check if there's any way to make the ISP combo device not do the router function and just provide a single passthrough bridge to your A6. Putting a NAT router behind another NAT router is usually a recipe for aggravating network problems.

And disable the ISP device's wifi. Both to cut down on wifi interference for the A6, and to avoid having an unmonitored wifi network in your house (you never know with ISP provided stuff if they'll decide to run a hotspot off your home commection).

vvv edit: ooh, that's neat! I've actually never had an ISP modem+router myself, so didn't know that was the best way to do that. I was luck enough to always get a decent plain old modem, up until they started charging 'rental' and I bought my own.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 4, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To add to the above post, I've always been able to call my ISP and ask them to put the router into bridge mode and they know exactly what I'm talking about and do it immediately (remotely) and it's hassle free. I've tried to do it myself and it's possible but a lot of the settings are locked out to you because they don't want users trying to fix problems and causing bigger ones.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I guess this thread makes the most sense. What would you put on a 70 year olds computer to try and proof it from spyware/ malware? For the life of me I can't seem to get my parents to understand what are safe links to click on vs sketch poo poo. I put on malware bytes, ublock origins and adblock. Anything else that is recommended?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Create a non admin account for them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Make sure controlled folder access is enabled:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Set their DNS to 1.1.1.2 to block the worst offenders. If you're so inclined, you could also set up a Pi-hole, but that requires some level of maintenance wrt installing updates etc. 1.1.1.3 is a bit aggressive and activates YouTube's "restricted mode", which is essentially kid-friendly filter.

Disabling UPnP on the router is always a good idea, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pihole is probably worth the extra work because the block lists you can use are obsessively updated and so many of the "seniors getting viruses" poo poo comes from clicking on a link or pressing OK to whatever dialog box shows up. If you can make those links invisible or a dead end you fix a lot of problems.

Just need to be careful to not install one of those super draconian blacklists because they have a habit of breaking legitimate stuff too. The sites that distribute them make this clear so you probably won't do it accidentally.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Klyith posted:

Yeah, but also check if there's any way to make the ISP combo device not do the router function and just provide a single passthrough bridge to your A6. Putting a NAT router behind another NAT router is usually a recipe for aggravating network problems.

And disable the ISP device's wifi. Both to cut down on wifi interference for the A6, and to avoid having an unmonitored wifi network in your house (you never know with ISP provided stuff if they'll decide to run a hotspot off your home commection).

vvv edit: ooh, that's neat! I've actually never had an ISP modem+router myself, so didn't know that was the best way to do that. I was luck enough to always get a decent plain old modem, up until they started charging 'rental' and I bought my own.

VelociBacon posted:

To add to the above post, I've always been able to call my ISP and ask them to put the router into bridge mode and they know exactly what I'm talking about and do it immediately (remotely) and it's hassle free. I've tried to do it myself and it's possible but a lot of the settings are locked out to you because they don't want users trying to fix problems and causing bigger ones.

Oh awesome I’ll try this. At the very least I know I can disable wifi on the loaner.

Hey thanks everyone for helping me today!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zotix posted:

I guess this thread makes the most sense. What would you put on a 70 year olds computer to try and proof it from spyware/ malware? For the life of me I can't seem to get my parents to understand what are safe links to click on vs sketch poo poo. I put on malware bytes, ublock origins and adblock. Anything else that is recommended?

Do they do anything other than use the web? Because a Chromebox might be the way to go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

It really depends what they need but possibly Ubuntu.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Never Gnome, so Kubuntu at least.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
Got a bit of a situation at our organisation I was hoping to tap the brains trust for some wisdom. We've recently purchased some large mobile tv screens with built in conferencing cameras/mics for a function room. They have a NUC attached to them running Windows. The wish from the powers that be is that the computer will be available for both staff and the public to use at any time for presentations/Teams/Zoom etc and the staff will be able to reach internal network resources while the public cannot. Staff would like to login with their normal domain credentials and have SSO for Teams and so on while the public will just have a generic account available to them.

To me this just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and I'm not sure it's even technically legal under Microsoft licensing. The function rooms are available to hire for members of the public and I can obviously see the benefit of having a fancy conferencing device. I'm just unsure of the technical feasibility of having it available at all times to both staff and the public while also maintaining security.

What's the best way to separate trust/untrust on a single device? We've got Palo Alto firewalls so GlobalProtect is available. Ideally I'd like to be able to just lock it down for staff only and tell them the public have to bring their own devices, join our public wifi and connect directly to the display.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

This question could probably be posted a couple of places but I've had good luck with the people ITT so I'll try here;

Right now I use YouTube Music (subbed, migrated from google play)- a good amount of the time I listen its while I'm gaming and it would be nice to change what was playing from a different device like my phone or another computer. Depending on what I'm running tabbing out might be suicidal or cause issues that arent worth dealing with.

So yeah, is there any way I can use my phone as a remote control for youtube music or maybe something similar? I'd rather not an answer that involved going to a different service, since being subbed to spotify or whatever would not be as advantageous to me. I think iTunes did/does this. I remember having some kind of similar setup with iTunes and my iPad like 10 years ago? As I recall iTunes was running off my server and there was something called iTunes Remote or whatever.

So, that, but with youtube music? Since I don't have a single song on a single hard drive like I did back then

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think there is, it's why I switched to Spotify. Would be interested as well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I would be willing to stream or physically wire the music from another device too? I don't mind involving hardware/cabling and a bit of guile

I wonder if I could rig the PC to run a chromecast dev environment in a VM and set it up to just receive like any other similar device, then cast directly from my phone. i doubt i'm CPU or RAM bound in much of what i do?

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 7, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

I would be willing to stream or physically wire the music from another device too? I don't mind involving hardware/cabling and a bit of guile

I wonder if I could rig the PC to run a chromecast dev environment in a VM and set it up to just receive like any other similar device, then cast directly to my phone. i doubt i'm CPU or RAM bound in much of what i do?

Why not just get a Google Mini and stream to that directly from your phone? Or do you have a super duper speaker setup on your PC

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Medullah posted:

Why not just get a Google Mini and stream to that directly from your phone? Or do you have a super duper speaker setup on your PC

I play through a pair of relatively decent sennheisers in this particular context so having the game and music audio routed to those would be optimal, unless i'm missing something with what you suggested

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

I play through a pair of relatively decent sennheisers in this particular context so having the game and music audio routed to those would be optimal, unless i'm missing something with what you suggested

Gotcha, nope that eliminates the mini as an option.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://techwiser.com/how-to-control-youtube-music-playback-on-desktop-from-phone/

First google result, no idea if it works

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

greatapoc posted:

Got a bit of a situation at our organisation I was hoping to tap the brains trust for some wisdom. We've recently purchased some large mobile tv screens with built in conferencing cameras/mics for a function room. They have a NUC attached to them running Windows. The wish from the powers that be is that the computer will be available for both staff and the public to use at any time for presentations/Teams/Zoom etc and the staff will be able to reach internal network resources while the public cannot. Staff would like to login with their normal domain credentials and have SSO for Teams and so on while the public will just have a generic account available to them.

To me this just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and I'm not sure it's even technically legal under Microsoft licensing. The function rooms are available to hire for members of the public and I can obviously see the benefit of having a fancy conferencing device. I'm just unsure of the technical feasibility of having it available at all times to both staff and the public while also maintaining security.

What's the best way to separate trust/untrust on a single device? We've got Palo Alto firewalls so GlobalProtect is available. Ideally I'd like to be able to just lock it down for staff only and tell them the public have to bring their own devices, join our public wifi and connect directly to the display.

Can't speak to the licensing part of the question, but I think you can solve this by setting up Windows autologon* for public users. Internal users can log out of that account and log themselves in, you'll just need to train them to restart the device when they're done.

Then set up your network access control to key off user certificates. The autologon user cert should dump the device onto a public network, while the internal user cert can provide access to the internal network.

*https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

E: how did it take me five minutes to write this?

There's a third-party Youtube Music desktop app that comes with an Android remote control app or can be controlled with media keys. I've not tried any of it, but it looks ok.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something like a headphone mixer would be the perfect way to do this

https://artproaudio.com/product/powermix-iii-three-channel-personal-stereo-mixer/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

This might not be the place to ask but something odd has been happening.

I recently started leaving my PC on all night and the last few days I’ve woken up and my computer has Firefox running. Yesterday it was MSN.com, which I’ve never been to. Today it had my router homepage loaded (192.168.etc).

On the off chance you haven't wiped your machine or anything, one thing that might help you diagnose is running Sysinternals Procexp which can tell you what process activated firefox if you leave it closed overnight.

I actually used this when a goon (drat you Greg) coded and installed a benign virus on my computer back in uni and I used the same process to find he'd made a fake driver with an innocuous name to open a random URL every x minutes to annoy me. In your case it's probably less benign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Flipperwaldt posted:

E: how did it take me five minutes to write this?

There's a third-party Youtube Music desktop app that comes with an Android remote control app or can be controlled with media keys. I've not tried any of it, but it looks ok.

This is ok- Its an improvement from what I had, but unfortunately it doesn't allow you to, say, search for an artist or album or song, it seems to mainly control the current playlist (pause, advance, play, etc). Thanks for linking it- it does do that stuff well, if anybody would be well served by that.

Thanks Ants posted:

Something like a headphone mixer would be the perfect way to do this

https://artproaudio.com/product/powermix-iii-three-channel-personal-stereo-mixer/

This will probably be what I end up doing eventually, something similar.

As a secondary, but related question, do any of you have any experience with programs that let you mix volumes of individual tasks in windows? I know windows has its own volume mixer, but as an example, one of the games I play has native volume levels so low that I thought it was muted with my music between 15-20% volume. I've seen https://www.letasoft.com/ mentioned a couple of places, wondering if anybody had some thoughts?

It would be nice to be able to hear my TIE fighter over dimmu borgir, basically