Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Is anyone's windows update constantly pestering to install Games for Live 3.0 update? I've installed it about 7 times now, yet it still insists...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Yeah I am running the Win7 RC and see that Live 3.0 update too

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

redeyes posted:

Just load the Vista drivers that worked for you. Should fix the issue.

It seems to be some BIOS issue with the laptop assigning resources. On Vista I can keep this working as long as I use version 11 on my laptop. 12,13 and 14 all don't assign resources to the dock video card. 12 13 and 14 don't do crap for Win7 either though. I contacted Dell, maybe I can get an update from them. If not, I'll just reinstall Vista64 on here.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm trying to install XP SP2 on a second partition, with Windows 7 on my primary. I just want to run my music studio applications in XP.

Has anyone else installed XP after 7? I've heard there's some problems, and I want to make sure I get this right to avoid a lot of frustration.

Any help? :cheers:

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

No. 9 posted:

I'm trying to install XP SP2 on a second partition, with Windows 7 on my primary. I just want to run my music studio applications in XP.

Has anyone else installed XP after 7? I've heard there's some problems, and I want to make sure I get this right to avoid a lot of frustration.

Any help? :cheers:

Why not use the XP virtualization built into 7? It actually works quite well in my experience.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Treytor posted:

Why not use the XP virtualization built into 7? It actually works quite well in my experience.

This (unless you have one of the Home editions)

Also installing XP after 7 will wreck your bootloader leaving you unable to boot into 7 until you do a repair install from your Win7 DVD.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am about to take the plunge into Windows 7 Professional. What is the recommended antivirus? I use avast currently, but they do not mention anything about Windows 7 compatability. I imagine the Vista install would work with it, but I am interested in the experiences of those who have gone before me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Turnquiet posted:

I am about to take the plunge into Windows 7 Professional. What is the recommended antivirus? I use avast currently, but they do not mention anything about Windows 7 compatability. I imagine the Vista install would work with it, but I am interested in the experiences of those who have gone before me.

I'm running Avast on the RC and it works fine.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

A bunch of the AV's don't work on RTM yet, its a bit hit and miss.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

I am about to take the plunge into Windows 7 Professional. What is the recommended antivirus?

Trend Micro has a beta out for Win7. I've been using it since installing the RTM build. It has worked well so far.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Antivir's running great for me.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ok, running great with Avast. This software is blazing fast.

I prematurely aborted installing a local TCP/IP printer port, so now when I try to redo the installation I get a "This port already exists" error that I cannot get past. The MS knowledge base only mentions resolving this error in Windows 2k. Any pointers?

And whats the big idea with Aero point, or whatever it is that lets you move windows around on multiple display? So far I have been able to move fullsize windows around, and that is cool, but I am not seeing anything that is wowing me with the window management.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Turnquiet posted:

And whats the big idea with Aero point, or whatever it is that lets you move windows around on multiple display? So far I have been able to move fullsize windows around, and that is cool, but I am not seeing anything that is wowing me with the window management.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but you can move a window from one screen to another using win+shift+{left|right}. The window will not change size and will stay in roughly the same position on one screen as the other.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AVG Free 8.5 runs perfectly on both the RC and RTM versions, 64 and 32 bit. Also takes up like 600kb while running so I'm pretty happy with it.

Munky_Magic
Jul 3, 2004
I currently have Windows Vista Business (64 bit) on my Gaming Rig, and I just found out that MSDN Academic Alliance now has Windows 7 Professional available.

Now I was just wondering if there are any disadvantages of upgrading vs a clean install. For instance, does upgrading perhaps result in an overall bigger install (perhaps some of the Vista files remain after the upgrade)? Or should there be no difference in user experience if you go down the Upgrade route vs a clean install. I just don't want to have to download Steam and all my games again (although I realise you can copy their local files), and I also really don't want to go through the hassle of Downloading and updating WoW from scratch.

I also have run out of activations on my Office 2007, which is another reason I don't want to do a complete clean install.

Munky_Magic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 27, 2009

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Nod32 is working fine

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Munky_Magic posted:

I currently have Windows Vista Business (64 bit) on my Gaming Rig, and I just found out that MSDN Academic Alliance now has Windows 7 Professional available.

Now I was just wondering if there are any disadvantages of upgrading vs a clean install. For instance, does upgrading perhaps result in an overall bigger install (perhaps some of the Vista files remain after the upgrade)? Or should there be no difference in user experience if you go down the Upgrade route vs a clean install. I just don't want to have to download Steam and all my games again (although I realise you can copy their local files), and I also really don't want to go through the hassle of Downloading and updating WoW from scratch.

I also have run out of activations on my Office 2007, which is another reason I don't want to do a complete clean install.

If you have external storage that's big enough, you can copy your steam folder's GCFs to keep your games. For WoW, just copy the entire folder. It's self-contained and doesn't hook into your registry so you can move the game's folder from one computer to another any time you want without losing anything.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nod32 and Avira work fine on both the RC and RTM.

Munky_Magic
Jul 3, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

If you have external storage that's big enough, you can copy your steam folder's GCFs to keep your games. For WoW, just copy the entire folder. It's self-contained and doesn't hook into your registry so you can move the game's folder from one computer to another any time you want without losing anything.

Thanks for this advice - I copied the WoW folder over to my external hard drive. I didn't bother with my steam games, since I haven't been playing them lately.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

redeyes posted:

Just load the Vista drivers that worked for you. Should fix the issue.

Nah its definitely something with the RC, cause the same exact version that will work in Vista doesn't in 7100. I was mostly just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if it worked normally in the RTM. If not it's not a huge deal I don't do a lot of fullscreen gaming that can't otherwise be cobbled to work widescreen.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Munky_Magic posted:

Don't they give you a number to call when you run out so you can get more?

Stanley Pain posted:

Nod32 and Avira work fine on both the RC and RTM.

The ones that I know don't work are BitDefender and Kaspersky 2010 on x64. A driver gets blocked on install.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I intend to upgrade to Windows 7, and plan to get the 64 bit version so I can use all 4 gigs of RAM in this thing. Will programs not specifically made for a 64 bit OS still work, like some kind of compatibility mode or something? Forgive my ignorance here, please.

Also, are there any programs that are known to not work with Win 7? Like, at all?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shinryu posted:

I intend to upgrade to Windows 7, and plan to get the 64 bit version so I can use all 4 gigs of RAM in this thing. Will programs not specifically made for a 64 bit OS still work, like some kind of compatibility mode or something? Forgive my ignorance here, please.

Also, are there any programs that are known to not work with Win 7? Like, at all?

All 32 bit programs will work fine. It will install into \Program files(32)\ or something along those lines.

I'm running Win7 64 and so far no troubles with 32 bit programs.

The only program I know offhand is peerguardian, which if you google has some hacks but I hosed my poo poo up when I tried em.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shinryu posted:

Anything that doesn't need to install drivers will work fine on 64bit. Most of those applications will work fine too, if they've been updated. You're fairly late to the game on this. It's automatic, so don't worry about it.

And there are a few, but generally, anything Vista compatible is Windows 7 ready.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

One other question: Will Vista drivers for my sound card, video card, and network card work, or do I need to hunt down versions updated specifically for Win 7?

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

Shinryu posted:

16 bit Windows programs won't run natively, but they probably will run in XP mode if you are using a Win 7 version that supports it.

edit: on the 64 bit versions only, that is

fatcat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 27, 2009

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do I need to install any codec packs on win7? I mainly am concerned with streaming to my 360. So far divx and xvid natively work in media player.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Another question, if I get Home Premium Retail for my desktop that has Intel VT (C2D E8400) could I use VMWare to install XP using a legit key so I don't have to shell out another 100 bucks to use it on Professional or is that considered Piracy?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shinryu posted:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

One other question: Will Vista drivers for my sound card, video card, and network card work, or do I need to hunt down versions updated specifically for Win 7?

Vista drivers work 99% of the time.

GreenNight posted:

Do I need to install any codec packs on win7? I mainly am concerned with streaming to my 360. So far divx and xvid natively work in media player.

Not really, if it plays it should stream (though the 360 has restricted streaming formats, keep this in mind)

spasticColon posted:

Another question, if I get Home Premium Retail for my desktop that has Intel VT (C2D E8400) could I use VMWare to install XP using a legit key so I don't have to shell out another 100 bucks to use it on Professional or is that considered Piracy?

Lemme be sure I understand, you want to buy legit Home Premium, use legit VMWare and install a legit copy of XP into a VM? Yeah, that's legal, more or less. EULA might be against it for home editions of XP (can't remember), but it's fine.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Which anti virus should I be running with Windows 7 x64? Is AVG still good?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

Which anti virus should I be running with Windows 7 x64? Is AVG still good?

Read a few posts back.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Munky_Magic posted:

I had a recent issue with WoW porting (the updater broke and could no longer find wow.exe), but the reinstall got a lot cleaner. You just pick up a small (1.5MB) executable from worldofwarcraft.com, run it, it starts an autodownloader, you give it an install path, leave it alone for two hours, and it fully installs and patches.

Eternal Traveler
Jul 25, 2007
Sacrifice
With WoW, after you have moved its folder, you just need to run the launcher with administrator privileges on first launch, it will set the installer paths and what not. Only need to do this once and you can revoke the admin rights after.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Has anyone else noticed a weird problem with 7 unable to calcuate disk space properly. It's happened since I upgraded on my new computer from Vista. I did use the RC on my old computer and it worked fine.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else had a problem with Windows Explorer not displaying changes to files or folders (deletes, copies, moves) until you manually refresh the window? This will happen to me maybe once a week, but luckily rebooting always fixes it.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

Fleedar posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with Windows Explorer not displaying changes to files or folders (deletes, copies, moves) until you manually refresh the window? This will happen to me maybe once a week, but luckily rebooting always fixes it.

I've noticed that on battery power, browsing libraries won't autoupdate until you manually refresh. I suspect this has something to do with windows pausing the indexer service on battery power, but I haven't really investigated it further. It is annoying though :argh:

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I really want a libusb-win64 :(

I ended up using an XP machine for a 2.2.1 jailbreak, the fuckery with ReadyDriver didn't work and just BSOD'd me when I actually went to run libusb.

I've also noticed my fan running on high for a few minutes after I boot up, then it starts being sensible. I have the newest motherboard drivers, so I'm not sure what's up.

Other than that, it rules. I wasn't expecting RivaTuner to work with the latest (and signed) nvidia drivers, I was stuck with 169.04 for my card in Vista 32 bit.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Casao posted:

Lemme be sure I understand, you want to buy legit Home Premium, use legit VMWare and install a legit copy of XP into a VM? Yeah, that's legal, more or less. EULA might be against it for home editions of XP (can't remember), but it's fine.

Assuming you already have a legit non-OEM XP key and a legit copy of VMWare then this will be the most cost effective way of doing it yet.

If it's an OEM key, you can't move it to a new machine, virtual or otherwise.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Sooo is there a way to get CMSS back with an Audigy 2 ZS card on seven? I tried some very old driver that worked with vista, some in between and the newest one for seven. I usually get a CMSS switch but it doesnt do anything.
I don't even care about games, i just wan't to hear music from my rear speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

Sooo is there a way to get CMSS back with an Audigy 2 ZS card on seven? I tried some very old driver that worked with vista, some in between and the newest one for seven. I usually get a CMSS switch but it doesnt do anything.
I don't even care about games, i just wan't to hear music from my rear speakers.

Grab Foobar and enable the DSP effect "convert stereo to 4 channel" or something along those lines.