Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Has anyone had problems getting their Kindle 2 to sync correctly on 7 x64? I had this problem on Vista x64 as well and I was hoping it would be fixed, but no dice. I have to use an XP VM to update stuff right now and Amazon just wants me to call them.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Sorry for the (probably) stupid question but once I get the .exe downloader from MSDNAA can I just burn it to a disc and stick it into an OS-less computer and have it install? Or do I need to burn everything that results from running the downloader (16 gigs)?

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 28, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Lum posted:

Assuming you already have a legit non-OEM XP key and a legit copy of VMWare then this will be the most cost effective way of doing it yet.

If it's an OEM key, you can't move it to a new machine, virtual or otherwise.

I thought vmware was free now days, so there should not be a problem getting a legit version. Or is the free one a player only and unable to create new VM's?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Spudsly posted:

Sorry for the (probably) stupid question but once I get the .exe downloader from MSDNAA can I just burn it to a disc and stick it into an OS-less computer and have it install? Or do I need to burn everything that results from running the downloader (16 gigs)?

You need to burn the image file after the download. What version are you downloading that it takes up 16 gigs? I got windows 7 pro x64 off of MSDNAA and it was somewhere around 3 gigs.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Will my MSDN Vista key work for a retail upgrade of Windows 7?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dominoes posted:

Will my MSDN Vista key work for a retail upgrade of Windows 7?

Do you mean use your Vista key for an install of Windows 7? What?

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

You need to burn the image file after the download. What version are you downloading that it takes up 16 gigs? I got windows 7 pro x64 off of MSDNAA and it was somewhere around 3 gigs.

Sorry, turns out I'm just retarded. Thanks for the help.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 28, 2009

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomorph posted:

Vista key to UPGRADE to Windows 7.

It should be fine because the Vista install will pass WGA

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Grab Foobar and enable the DSP effect "convert stereo to 4 channel" or something along those lines.

Is there something that can force this to other programs? I'm not really willing to change my music player.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

Xenomorph posted:

I think he means he downloaded and installed a MSDN vista. Now he has no access to that and wants to get the windows 7 upgrade.

I think the answer is... nobody knows, really, since the upgrade disc hasn't been released yet. Microsoft hasn't been very forthcoming with their information.

I don't think it would be a problem though. MSDN is just another volume licensing in MS's eyes, I think. Worst case scenario is he tries it and it doesn't work. Then he can either call MS or get some cheapo-XP license from somewhere and try again.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
Has anyone tried setting up a homegroup? I set one up and it works fine and all but I tried to stream a large mkv file on my laptop and about 30 minutes it made both my laptop and desktop lose connection to the internet. I tried to then copy the file from the homegroup to the laptop and it'll transfer for a while but it ends up happening again. Smaller files are ok though.

Any ideas? Laptop is using W7 Professional and desktop is using W7 RC.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
MSDNAA for my school offers both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions separately and it appears that the keys are different.

My understanding is that, as of Windows 7, a key can be used for either.

Does that mean I have 2 copies of Windows 7 (e.g., both 64-bit if I wanted), or am I missing something?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

muskrat posted:

MSDNAA for my school offers both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions separately and it appears that the keys are different.

Does that mean I have 2 copies of Windows 7 (e.g., both 64-bit if I wanted), or am I missing something?
You are absolutely correct.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jarito posted:

Has anyone had problems getting their Kindle 2 to sync correctly on 7 x64? I had this problem on Vista x64 as well and I was hoping it would be fixed, but no dice. I have to use an XP VM to update stuff right now and Amazon just wants me to call them.

Any ideas?

What do you mean by "sync it"? It shows up as a flash drive on my Windows 7 just like a Kindle 1 does.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Same for me.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Is BitLocker To Go going to affect performance when running files (playing a powerpoint presentation) off of a flash drive that's encrypted?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

All 32 bit programs will work fine. It will install into \Program files(32)\ or something along those lines.

I'm running Win7 64 and so far no troubles with 32 bit programs.

The only program I know offhand is peerguardian, which if you google has some hacks but I hosed my poo poo up when I tried em.
Most schools and business only have the 32bit version of Cisco VPN available for download, and SAS (a statistical analysis package) won't install under x64 either. As an academic, this is extremely frustrating.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

kevdude posted:

I'm getting constant disconnects of my internet access with the error "Default gateway is not available". This is happening every 5-10 minutes on average. I've googled the problem and it seems to be related to the fact my motherboard is nForce (680i) and Windows 7 doesn't like that.

Does anyone else have this problem? Most recent nVidia driver for my nForce series is from back in May, I really hope there's a new one out soon. I'm using the RTM 64-bit professional version, from the MSDN Academic site.
Do you have iTunes installed? If you do, this might apply: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970313

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

muskrat posted:

Actually, pretty sure you get 4 copies, on my MSDNAA account I've got access to win7 EN x86, and x64, and also win7 french x86 and x64.

All the keys work on any of the versions, so yeah, four keys. :smug:

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Most schools and business only have the 32bit version of Cisco VPN available for download, and SAS (a statistical analysis package) won't install under x64 either. As an academic, this is extremely frustrating.

There is a 64-bit version, you just need to know your school's VPN server address. My school at least didn't have the 64-bit version available, but if you emailed them they'd give you a link.

Gendor
Nov 1, 2004

I didn't see anything posted about this in the last few pages so I hope this isn't a repeat, but either way its a great deal that you should know about.

ACM.org is offering access to MSDNAA for only $19 (USD), this gets you two licenses of windows 7 plus a ton of other Microsoft software.

You can sign up via this link: https://campus.acm.org/public/QJStuWithBook/qjswb_control.cfm?form_type=Student

While you technically need to be a student to get access, ACM doesn't seem to be checking credentials.... Furthermore the license is for academic use only and non transferable, but it is good forever.

I have signed up for this, but they say it will take a day to for them to send me the access for MSDNAA, so I can't guarantee this but the ACM is a reputable place so I don't doubt that everything will work, and hey it's just $19. I will update this when I get access.

So for all you "students" out there this is a great deal that would be hard to pass up!

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Stuntman Mike posted:

Is BitLocker To Go going to affect performance when running files (playing a powerpoint presentation) off of a flash drive that's encrypted?

Not enough for it to be noticeable in that situation.

People will tell you to use truecrypt instead.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Gendor posted:

I didn't see anything posted about this in the last few pages so I hope this isn't a repeat, but either way its a great deal that you should know about.

ACM.org is offering access to MSDNAA for only $19 (USD), this gets you two licenses of windows 7 plus a ton of other Microsoft software.

You can sign up via this link: https://campus.acm.org/public/QJStuWithBook/qjswb_control.cfm?form_type=Student

While you technically need to be a student to get access, ACM doesn't seem to be checking credentials.... Furthermore the license is for academic use only and non transferable, but it is good forever.

I have signed up for this, but they say it will take a day to for them to send me the access for MSDNAA, so I can't guarantee this but the ACM is a reputable place so I don't doubt that everything will work, and hey it's just $19. I will update this when I get access.

So for all you "students" out there this is a great deal that would be hard to pass up!

Is this not mentioned in this thread?

Because there seems to be a whole thread on it already (do a search for threads with MSDNAA in their title). Lots of people got the ACM info from there.

The people running ACM just purchased themselves a giant safe like Scrooge McDuck so they can go swimming in all the money they just made this month.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.

Funnehman posted:

Actually, pretty sure you get 4 copies, on my MSDNAA account I've got access to win7 EN x86, and x64, and also win7 french x86 and x64.

All the keys work on any of the versions, so yeah, four keys. :smug:

Have you tried this out to confirm that the french key works on the non-french installation?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

Is there something that can force this to other programs? I'm not really willing to change my music player.

Which media player do you use? I'm not aware of anything outside of plugins for winamp/foobar that do this. Strange the CMSS isn't working.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

thedavid posted:

Have you tried this out to confirm that the french key works on the non-french installation?

YES

I just activated with the Win7 Pro x86 FRENCH key I got from MSDNAA.

I'm using Win7 Pro x64 English/US version.

That's 4 Windows 7 keys per account on ACM.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Which media player do you use? I'm not aware of anything outside of plugins for winamp/foobar that do this. Strange the CMSS isn't working.

Sadly im using Itunes because of my iPhone. But im thinking of switching back to Winamp. Got a link to a Winamp Plugin that does what i want?

I will try to get CMSS to work though. Maybe i should try something pointless like putting the card in another PCI slot. More than once this stuff fixed my problems...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a bit of a problem with the taskbars pinning thing. I have the Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft programs themselves, no launchers or anything, pinned to the taskbar but when I start either of them it creates a new icon on the taskbar anyway. If you right click on this icon, there's no Pin to Taskbar option.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

scarymonkey posted:

Installing a x64 version of Windows if you have a 64bit capable CPU (Core2Duo /Athlon 64) is also advisable if possible. Even if you have fewer than 4GB of ram you may want to upgrade later. The OS and any 64bit apps also run better than their 32bit counterparts. Another bonus is that viruses that infect 32bit system level files are more likely to not infect x64 systems at all.

I'd install 64-bit too. I installed 64-bit because I felt like I was going to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM one day and I'm going to because Premiere Pro takes up a lot more RAM than I expected it to take up.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Question about installing.

I'm currently on Vista 64. I want to upgrade to 7 64 Pro. I'll need to do a clean install. Would I have to manually install all of my programs again? Or would backup save me from it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a way to make Media Player Classic not run in "visual impaired" mode or whatever?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

JSARSOM posted:

Question about installing.

I'm currently on Vista 64. I want to upgrade to 7 64 Pro. I'll need to do a clean install. Would I have to manually install all of my programs again? Or would backup save me from it.

Reinstall.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
If you do a clean install you won't have the registry entries for the installed programs, so you'll need to reinstall them.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.

Xenomorph posted:

YES

I just activated with the Win7 Pro x86 FRENCH key I got from MSDNAA.

Thanks for the confirmation. The french key is going to go on the wife's computer. Not something that you'd want to have wind up being french. Or not passing the 'genuine windows' auth.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TLG James posted:

Is there a way to make Media Player Classic not run in "visual impaired" mode or whatever?

Should explain what you mean, because I have no clue what you're talking about.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

TLG James posted:

First of all, use Media Player Classic Home Cinema (it's newer and better), and make sure you output mode in the view>options is set to EVR (not Overlay).

Get an SVN build from here

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/content/view/839/2/

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
When I used the Windows 7 RC, I hated the ClearType that seemed universal. I turned it off in the Control Panel, but Firefox and other programs seemed to be still using it.

Since I've been using Windows XP for most of my computing lifetime, I'm not use to it and was wondering if there was something I could do.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Boris the Blade posted:

When I used the Windows 7 RC, I hated the ClearType that seemed universal. I turned it off in the Control Panel, but Firefox and other programs seemed to be still using it.

Since I've been using Windows XP for most of my computing lifetime, I'm not use to it and was wondering if there was something I could do.

This is Microsoft's discussion on Cleartype in Window's 7.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/06/23/engineering-changes-to-cleartype-in-windows-7.aspx

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

kapinga posted:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/06/23/engineering-changes-to-cleartype-in-windows-7.aspx

Holy poo poo. I've never seen so much discussion on font rendering before.

Thanks for this though. It looked to be exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I'll try Windows 7 again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

kapinga posted:

All of that discussion about font rendering, and ClearType still looks like poo poo. Shame.