Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

incoherent posted:

Steam overlay should work 100% of the time with steam games. IF its crashing delete the clientregistry.blob file, failing that update your drivers or excessively, run driver sweeper to clear out all instances of your drivers and start again.

Now it works. :psyduck: I really don't get it. I'd look up what error message I was getting if I remembered, but it was a documented error and the Steam Help database told me that disabling the overlay would fix it. It did, but just now I re-enabled it and my Source games launch just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I can't wait till installers start adding a "Pin to Taskbar" option under "Create shortcut on Desktop/Start Menu".

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Anyone have any luck using this:

http://www.divx.com/en/windows-7

To stream mkv files to your 360? I can't get it to work for the life of me.

I'm not sure if vanilla Windows 7 codecs let you do this, but with Shark007's Windows 7 codecs I can stream .mkv files just by setting up my shared folders in Media Center and accessing my movies from the 360.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Really? I downloaded his general codecs and his x64 addon codecs. I shared the folder but the 360 tells me there are no videos in them.

Have you tried just going through the My Videos folder on the 360's dashboard? I never use the Media Center on it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yeah absolutely. The Media Center on it blows. Maybe I'll just uninstall all the codecs I have and start fresh. I've been trying everything for months trying to get it working.

That's weird if they don't show up. I think if you're running x64 you may need to install Shark007's drivers for x64 over top the x32 ones.

e: just googled and if that still doesn't work, apparently you can use tsMuxer to take your .mkv files and convert them to .m2ts files, which the 360 supposedly reads just fine. It's just a different container. I haven't tried this though, but Shark's codecs should enough.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 27, 2010

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

chippy posted:

edit: Can someone explain to me exactly what the deal is with Divx and H.264 on Windows 7? Bearing in mind I don't fully understand about codecs and containers and splitters and things. Everything seems to suggest that W7 should support this out of the box, except the DivX website linked a few posts ago, which seems to categorically state that it doesn't. Most of my videos seem to play fine but I do have the odd .divx file which doesn't seem to want to open. I just want to be able to play all my videos with the absolute minimum of extra system bloat and installed codecs and things. Also if at all possible I'd like to be able to play QuickTime and RealVideo without having to actually install the official versions of either of those things, if possible.

You should probably install Shark007's codec pack. I used to have a few videos that didn't open, but Shark's codecs are really behind-the-scenes and let pretty much any video file you could encounter be opened within Windows Media Player. I'm not sure about QuickTime/RealVIdeo movies, but I think so. All you have to do is install the regular codec pack, and then his x64 pack over top of it if you're running a 64 bit OS. Also, I'm pretty sure Shark007 is or is made by a goon.

http://shark007.net/index.html

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I have an admin account on my computer as my main account; is there any downside or any issues to converting it into a standard user account? It appears to say I need to make another account and promote that one to admin first.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I did this recently and haven't needed to log on to the admin account. I even duped the password :ssh: and I just have to enter it when I'm updating Firefox or Comodo's firewall. No big thing, and allegedly it makes your system more secure. Not really sure if it does but a lot of security wags say that running as admin for day to day use/browsing is retarded. Also, you need to go to UAC to prevent yourself from upping your privileges.

So do I need to just create a new account and then grant admin privileges to that one, and then demote my current one?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Well, when I formatted I was automatically given an admin account; keep in mind I bought my computer pre-built so last time I formatted I used the re-imaging disk. When I installed 7 without flattening the whole thing, I didn't change anything about the account. Now, I'm not sure if the account I'm using is the secret admin account you're talking about mobn or if it's just a regular account with admin privileges. However, I apparently have to create a new one if I want to demote this one, so I don't know. I'll try creating one and demoting my current one.

e: well, I did the change and nothing seems to have broken. Does UAC asking for an admin password only happen for certain things? I've tried installing a couple of things and have only received the default UAC yes/no prompt.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 28, 2010

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Assuming you haven't changed anything in the group policy or similar then standard users should have to enter the password for one of the administrator-level accounts in order to pass a UAC prompt.

I got it working. I had created a new account, gave it admin and a password and demoted mine to standard user. I just had to reboot or something, because now it's properly asking for the password. Thanks!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

chippy posted:

Just a quick one: Is there any issue codec wise with installing VLC when I have Shark007 codec pack installed? VLC is fully self contained, right?

None on my end. I use Shark007's codecs and WMP but occasionally need to use VLC and I haven't had any issues.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

AquaVita posted:

Is there any way to do a system wide normalization of sounds that the PC plays, particularly MP3s? I use xbmc on windows 7 and during playlists it sucks because I listen to a lot of old and new music and the levels are just not remotely the same at all.

XBMC apparently doesn't have this feature built in which is stupid as hell, but I'm hoping there's a way to do it through Windows maybe? Any help would be really appreciated!

iTunes has a "Sound Check" option that supposedly normalizes everything that's playing. I've never tried it though so I can't comment on how well it works.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I've started backing up a few libraries to my external 1TB HDD and had a question about libraries. I have it set to back up my main libraries along with a custom library that includes my steamapps folder. One of my libraries is the regular default music library, but then there's also the "Alex" library (because that's my username).

Thing is, the Alex library contains my actual music folder. Am I right to assume that when backing up libraries, it just uses the links and figures out what it needs rather than back up stuff twice?

One more while I'm asking: for some bizarre reason my system image backup is loving HUGE. Originally I had it let Windows manage the system images but since it was really big I told it to only keep the last copy. Since then I've re-backed up hoping it would fix itself but it's still huge. Here's a pic:

e: is there any way of browsing the backup to see what's inside?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Does Windows Backup remove files that no longer exist on the local hard drive from the backups it produces?

I had accidently set it so it would save new system images every time initially. I later changed it so it would only keep one system image. However, this did nothing to change the huge size of its backups.

Additionally, it backs up my steamapps folder and I have no idea if it's removing games I've uninstalled during the week (which I want it to do) or if it just leaves them in the backup even though they're gone from my hard drive. The backup keeps getting larger and I'm running out of space on my external.

I'm just annoyed that there's no real way to see exactly what your backup contains. I want to know why it's so huge compared to all the stuff it's actually supposed to back up but there's no apparent way to do this. It's using 584GB to store roughly half of that, and that seems pretty ridiculous.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I believe the system image backup saves the backup as a VHD, in which case you want this: http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelazyadmin/archive/2009/01/15/mount-a-vhd-within-windows-7-server-2008-r2.aspx

I just tried this and it showed the disk's data as being unallocated and the Initialize Disk option was greyed out.

I decided to have a peek inside and here's what I got: the VHD itself is 429GB, which seems not too bad. But then inside another folder are what seem to be all the backup files, again, but this time packed within ~200MB .zip files. Why the gently caress is it seemingly keeping two copies (one in the VHD and another in the various .zip files)?

Maybe I don't understand how backing up data works but it seems like a terrible waste of space.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I made the mistake of attempting a Windows Backup (which hung) and now I've got a flag in the system tray saying there's a backup in progress. I can't see any way to abort the backup, which happened like 3 months ago.

Open the Control Panel and click the address bar. Copy and paste "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore" and you can change the settings there.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

That was the first place I tried. Nothing there says anything about an ongoing backup I can abort.

The only other place I can think of where you could access an ongoing backup is through the Action Center itself. Expand the Maintenance area and it should say it's in progress or something similar. If not, then the service hosed up somehow.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, it says there's a backup in progress, but clicking the link just leads me back to the control panel section where there's no way to cancel it.

I don't know, then. :( I've heard stories of people whose Windows Backup just broke and stopped working. What happens if you disconnect the drive it's using to back up to?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Is there a reason why one of my cores (4th one, specifically) would be at 95-99% for extended periods of time while the system is idle? Every now and then, it'll do that. Resource Monitor says System Interrupts are using all that juice. I tried updating my motherboard network drivers, but that didn't change anything. I also read that it might be a conflict between my video card trying to provide sound. Sure enough, when I went to Device Manager, there was an entry for 'ATI HDMI Audio something', so I disabled it. It hasn't really changed anything either, as it still occurs.

The weird thing is when I open up Everest and go to the CPU page, it stops immediately. :psyduck:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

FrantzX posted:

It's mostly like the Defragmenter running in the background. Check the event viewer (Windows Logs->Application) and search for events with the source Defrag.

That doesn't seem to be it, as the last instance of it happening is June 26 and the CPU thing happened about an hour ago. Could it be the indexing service?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

I'm gonna piggyback off of this and ask what's a good gadget for displaying hard drive space and space available on external drives? I used to use a program called "Memory and CPU Observer 2.3 Personal (Beta)" on XP, but being as that program was designed for Windows 98, it doesn't work right at all in 7.

The trio of Drives Meter, Network Meter and CPU Usage work pretty good.

http://gallery.live.com/author.aspx?a=0655416a-96bf-45df-9876-57dd36972107

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

A while back I posted here (I think) about hardware interrupts causing CPU core #4 to stick to 100%. If I'm browsing and checking my email, it never happens. However, the instant I play games, it acts up. The odd thing is that it'll usually start doing it after I stop playing. Anyway, I tried a combination of audio/driver/network drivers and nothing seemed to fix it.

Using some Windows 7 SDK tools and a guide, I managed to trace it down to ACPI.sys. From what I gather, this is a power management thing, so it makes sense that it would act up whenever I'm doing something system-intensive that would require more juice. However, I'm at a loss about what to do to fix it. Disabling ACPI in my BIOS just makes Windows freeze when I boot up (as the four lights combine to form the Windows logo, specifically).

I see a few ACPI-related things in Device Manager; there are the two at the top of the list and then further down there are two Microsoft ACPI drivers:

I'm wondering if the two at the top would be in conflict with the two bottom ones, but I'm unsure what would happen if I disabled either. I never had issues until a few months ago and back then it happened less frequently, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly when it started.

For what it's worth, putting the computer to sleep does not fix it, but pressing my power button to make it hibernate and then waking it up immediately does fix it (until I play a game again or something).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Is there a way to make power plans changeable through the tray on a desktop? I might have found a temporary fix for my ACPI interrupts. I want to try going to High Performance while playing games and then back down to Balanced when I'm not, but it's annoying to go through the CP every time. This is mostly just short-term until I have time to try a reinstall of Windows (which I'm probably due for soon).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

Simply enable the power tray icon, after you do that its one left click on the icon and you get a menu to switch between balanced and high performance or balanced and power saver, depending on which power plans you use most.

It's greyed out so I can't enable the icon. My workaround for now is to keep a desktop shortcut to Power Options (can't create a taskbar shortcut to specific CP items--this is dumb).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Toolbars, they are your friends.

Also, I believe there's a command line thingy to do what you want. Oh hey: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28WS.10%29.aspx

Thanks, but the desktop shortcut thing works for now. Oddly enough, hardware interrupts have reduce to 0 so far, so I'm chalking it up to some sort of gently caress-up whenever I quit games and ACPI doesn't know to clock my CPU back down. Will try a format when I've got time.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Hmm, that's useful. All my important files are on other physical drives separate from my system drive, though. I was just going to format my system drive before the install, since there's a virus hiding somewhere on it.

Does the "Windows.Old" file just have your stuff from My Documents and Desktop and such?

I believe it only does Program Files, Windows and Documents and Settings.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

You realize you can change the size of UI elements to get stuff to look pretty much like Classic in Aero right? A few clicks changes it to this:
http://fishmech.info/191991.png

I know this is totally unrelated but what Firefox theme is that?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Landerig posted:

Okay, tell you what: I'll find a benchmarking program, or if you guys want to recommend one that'd be great, and I will do benchmarking tests, both with Aero on and the classic Windows theme. I'd even be willing to post the results in this thread.

If you have a computer older than 2005 you will literally not see a difference

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Landerig posted:

Oh lord I may not be as well informed as the rest of you regarding Windows 7, but I am not stupid enough to run it on 5+ year old hardware, well apart from this monitor which was made in 2003.

I actually meant newer but whatever, at this point if you're not a troll then I don't know what to say.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Quick question about that cheap .edu download of windows 7. Do they email you the key right away or how does that work?

When I bought mine, that's what happened. I got an email with the key and links to the ISOs.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Slopehead posted:

Hi gentlemen. I am having an issue where when I get a message from AIM it steals focus from any fullscreen game I am playing. This is causing metro 2033 to crash and it is causing me much distress. How do I fix this post-haste.

Many thanks.

What version do you use? I'm still using 5.9 and you can just set yourself as away, then tick the "Hide windows" box or whatever.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I used AIM Lite for a long time and it didn't do this. I changed over to the latest version of full AIM about 3 weeks ago so I could have formatting options (embedded hyperlinks and buddy icons) not to mention my hope that there was some way to increase the readable font size.

Mega bummer gentlemen. Mega Bummer.

Sorry man, any AIM beyond 5.x is pretty terrible all-around :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

A few things.

* I would usually recommend 64-bit all the way, but I don't know about an older system like that. My old Athlon 64 3000+ system (754) hasn't had any proper chipset drivers in 5 years (and nothing updated for Vista/Win7). I'd only use 32-bit with it. Even though the platform is technically "64-bit", the drivers may be an issue. Even 32-bit Vista ran like crap on it (XP was the only thing really supported).

Old post, sorry.

I know it's a bit of a newer processor (compared to yours anyway) but I gave my parents my old gaming rig with an Athlon 64 3800+ with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5500 FX and it ran Vista 64 for the longest time and they've been running 7 64 since January now without a hitch. They've upgraded to a 7600 GT I gave them and the system will very occasionally blue-screen while my sister is playing Sims 3 but I figure it's just because it's old as poo poo and the game's new, and it was the first computer I put together myself.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Is there a quick fix for the Windows 7 taskbar bug where whatever you moused over last stays highlighted until you mouseover something else? It's kind of annoying because it'll often make open programs highlight with their usual colour and for some it looks like something is happening (ie if I mouseover AIM, it turns yellow-ish and looks like someone messaged me). Logging off and on fixes it but I'd rather not do that and it happens semi-frequently.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

wildsprite posted:

We had a computer doing this occasionally (maybe a few times a month). Have you tried holding shift and right clicking on the taskbar icon? After doing that, it seemed to be gone on our system...

It hasn't happened to us in a while. We updated a bunch of drivers including the video driver, so maybe that helped. It's hard to know with intermittent problems, it could crop up again tomorrow!

Hell yes, that fixed it. Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my current video driver (Catalyst 10.4a, Radeon HD 4850) because any other version of the driver more recent than this one will cause visual sync to break for all OpenGL games despite being set to Always On in CCC. But I've given up on that particular problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Belligerent Monk posted:

I wanted to post this question in a megathread and this seemed like the most fitting so here it goes:

Can anyone recommend me a free antivirus program to replace this awful piece of poo poo Trend Micro? I've had this on my computer for about a month and I can't take it anymore. Thanks. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/