Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I've been playing around with Windows 7 64-bit (home) for about ten days now, and I don't like it. I don't really like messing around with my OS, hence why I kept my WinXP system for 7 years until it was completely unable to run the newest games.

First, the Win7 Start Menu kind of sucks, it's needlessly difficult to customize. I have to go to a hidden system directory to edit or create start menu folders, etc? I'm pretty sure I could do that by right-clicking and/or dragging folders around on the XP start menu. The default folder views are all over the place, whatever Win7 is doing with different folder settings depending on media type confuses me. Folders with a lot of files are incredibly slow to sort by date or filename compared to XP, unless you set them to optimize for "general" file type. Why isn't it set to "general" by default, it works 100x better?

It just seems like in 7, you have to do a lot of "stuff" to get it to show you all the details and make it work as fast as XP. The default control panel settings of "category" don't show you hardly anything. You have to change the control panel preference to "icons" to really see all the options for your PC. I really like the idea of UAC for security, but there aren't enough options for the user to configure it in a custom way. Why can't I leave UAC active globally, but give a specific program (like RivaTuner) permission to work without UAC prompts? The option to mark specific programs as "trusted" and exempt from UAC seems like a no-brainer, but it's not there.

Worst of all, backward compatibility sucks. I kind of expected this, and frankly I didn't expect my DOS games or Windows 3.1 apps to work in Win7 64-bit, (although they did in WinXP). However, I did expect Windows 98+ games that worked in XP to work in Windows 7, and so far I'm not doing well in that regard. The "compatibility modes" and settings are worthless. I'd list specific titles but then goons would laugh at me for trying to run 9-year-old games on a new PC. But goddammit, you ought to be able to. Most new PC games are poo poo anyway, the golden age of PC gaming was the late '90s and maybe early 2000s, and I hate to lose those games that are 75% of my software library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

strwrsxprt posted:

Keys aren't 32-bit/64-bit exclusive. Just install without a key. Windows 7 will run for 120 days without one.

When I was trying to activate my prebuilt system, on its first boot, things did not go well. After two failed attempts to enter the key (which I was extremely cautious to get right), Win7 got quite pissed off and went into "must activate today" mode. Fortunately the telephone activation process worked. (I don't understand how the telephone activation actually is able to validate your copy is legit, but whatever...)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
For those of you having problems with folders that are incredibly slow to load or sort by date or filename, etc., the following seemed to work for me. In Explorer, right click on the folder and choose Properties. Then select the "Customize" tab and where it says "What kind of folder do you want" choose Optimize for "General Items" instead of pictures, music, videos, etc. Until I did this, my big pr0n folders were killing Windows 7.

If that doesn't work you might also consider disabling indexing on big folders that you won't need to search.

FWIW I'm also using AVG Free and it doesn't seem to be hurting my performance very much, YMMV.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 22, 2009

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Doody the Clown posted:

Is there any kind of notorious fix for lag issues in online games with Windows 7? Hopefully it's something obvious, as not much has changed on my end except the new network card and my OS.

I've seen some threads on Windows 7 forums complaining about lag in multiplayer games, but I don't know if there is a definitive cause or fix. On the forum link below, on the first two or three pages there are a few threads about lag in online games. The second link is probably the most useful, and suggests a registry tweak to modify the the multimedia class scheduler service, which can throttle network performance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/31980-lag-online-games-windows-7-a.html

I've only sporadically done multiplayer games in Windows 7, and for me they seem to run about the same as they did in XP.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I notice quite a bit more random hard drive noise/activity in Win7 than I did in XP. It seems like 7 is constantly doing drive access in little bursts. However, my XP system had really loud fans that would have drowned out most drive noise, where my Windows 7 PC is almost silent (except for hard drive noise).

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

El Hefe posted:

I have Realtek high definition audio and I've tried every driver imaginable and I still get crackling sound from videogames, it's really annoying, thankfully videos and music aren't affected. I'm starting to think it's a DirectX issue.

Wish I knew how to help, but while I've heard of this issue, I also have Realtek "high def" onboard sound, and I haven't had any problems in games. But I literally haven't run any games newer than about 2005 on it yet.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Windows 7 is a bitch with permissions and ownership issues, I'm too much of a novice when it comes to PC security and account types to really absorb it all. But I've had problems with games that use manually-edited config files or saved games in "Program Files" subdirectories.

I can't stand my own PC fighting me on file access and rights issues. If it was up to me, I should be able to do a FORMAT C without so much as a ARE YOU SURE YES/NO prompt. poo poo, I could probably still do that, yet I can't edit a text game config file in Progam Files without loving around to manually grant myself rights to that directory.

And that just raises another question: it makes no sense to me that I can upgrade my own ownership or permissions on my account. I'm glad I can or I'd be screwed, but if I can do that, what is the point of the restrictions in the first place?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Ryokurin posted:

I recently installed Ultimate 64 bit on a Athlon II 630 on a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with 4gb of memory. Runs circles around my old Opteron 175, but one thing is bugging me about this system which is it takes almost a minute and a half to boot. I've disabled esata, raid, serial ports, usb 3 and haven't gained a second. Is this just a byproduct of x64, or am I just missing something else I can tweak to get this quicker?

I think you have a problem. I'm running Home Premium 64, and it takes about 5 seconds for my rig to go through the BIOS stuff, then 18 seconds to load Win7 to the account login prompt, then another ~4-5 seconds to load the desktop with everything responding and usable. I have an i7-860 CPU, 4 gig RAM, and a fairly ordinary Western Digital 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive that's not even running in AHCI mode.

Actually, AHCI may be an issue for you, I've heard some systems take a long time to boot in AHCI mode. Also, you aren't using a solid-color desktop are you? There's a Win7 bug with solid-color desktops that slows down bootup.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Iblys posted:

Nope. It says it has restarted after an unexpected shutdown.

I don't know if it will really help, but I'm curious what your CPU and motherboard are. I had odd system reboots with my i7 860/Gigabyte P55 combination, but only in one particular game. Disabling C3/C6/C7 support in the BIOS seemed to fix it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Iblys posted:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard
Intel Q6600 quad-core

What's this c3/c6/c7 that you speak of? If I disable it, what are the adverse effects?

It's some kind of voodoo that defines or allows different power states for the quad-core i5 & i7 Intel CPUs. I think this is what allows the i5/i7 to automatically shut down some cores so that one or two cores can be overclocked like crazy and still stay within the allowed power envelope of the CPU overall. I don't think you have that feature on the Q6600 so I don't think this setting is relevant for your system.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait, the 32bit build of Win7 supports 16bit apps but the 64bit doesn't? Also, how often do you think people cling to these old apps? I haven't worked in the service industry in almost 10 years and even when I did (read XP days) I never came across any cases like that.

I'm disappointed that Win7 x64 won't run my ancient 16-bit freeware copy of LView Pro 1.something. Every new free image editor I try seems to have been designed for maximum interface complexity and user frustration.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why is "Program Files" so zealously protected by Windows 7? Isn't a game a program file? Games typically need a place to save information, such as configuration files and save game files. If a game by default installs under the Program Files directory structure, isn't the most logical place for the saved game and game config files used by that game to also be within the same Program Files/Game/whatever hierarchy?

It drives me crazy when a game by default installs to a directory in Program Files, but the config files or saved games go in some other, completely unrelated user directory. It just seems logical to me that games and applications should keep all associated data and savegame files within a directory or subdirectory that is directly under the installation directory.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Peven Stan posted:

Hi, is there a way I can gimp my download speed on win7? My 10 mbit connection is nice and all until my onboard ethernet shits itself and requires a reboot to start working again.

I don't really know jack about networking issues, but I know that I can change a bunch of the speed and protocol settings for my onboard ethernet thru Device Manager. Find your network adapter in Device Manager, right click for Properties, and click on the Advanced tab and see if you can set a lower data rate. (I have a "Speed and Duplex" setting, but on mine the lowest selectable speed is 10 mbps)

I bet you have a driver or hardware problem that changing speeds probably won't fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Centipeed posted:

I also tried putting the shortcuts in the start menu, and I am unable.

Even though I am administrator, apparently Windows 7 doesn't let you mess with the Start menu contents (I'm new to Windows 7)?

I'm not exactly sure what you need to do, but there are some ways to make changes (add folders, shortcuts, etc.) to the Win7 Start Menu. Here are some links that may be useful:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/296-start-menu-all-programs-add-delete-shortcuts.html

http://www.sharepointcomic.com/archive/2010/05/27/edit-the-start-menu-folders-in-windows-7.aspx

Disclaimer: I can't help you if this hopelessly fucks your start menu, so proceed at your own risk