Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Have installed 7100 (and previous versions) on my Dell Studio XPS 13 and my E8400/EP35-DS3/8800GT desktop, and it just feels and looks right! Using it as primary and only OS on both.

Vista drivers can be used, and on older systems some XP drivers might even work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I cannot get Planescape Torment to work :( No go with compatibility mode or virtual XP. Running x64 7100. Anyone else had any luck?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

General Emergency posted:

It's running fine for me with the same setup. I did a fresh install of it and it didn't even need compatibility modes or anything.

Which version are you running? I'm trying to install from the 4 cd-version, and nothing happens. setup.exe*32 is running, but nothing visible on the screen.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Data posted:

Just spent ~5 hours attempting an install. After numerous freezes and blue screens (the various internet fixes re: ACPI/USBs didn't work), I'm left with XP and 20Gbs of windows 7 files that I can't loving delete no matter what.

Ughh, gently caress this. Having a lovely install experience kills any enthusiasm I have for a new OS.

What kind of PC are you using, and which version are you installing? Are you trying some kind of dual boot and several OS'es on one disk, or are you doing a clean install?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

General Emergency posted:

I have the original 4 CD version of it. Did you try forcing the setup to run as administrator?

It suddenly worked on its own, without any more fiddling. Don't know why, but crisis averted!

Had to set to software graphics though, but that doesn't matter.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

You'll want the patches and the resolution mod too by the by.

They have been on my disks ever since they came out, through 5 computers and countless operating systems and reinstalls. Don't know anyone besides myself who ran Torment on Windows NT 4.0.

To get back on topic, the latest Nvidia video drivers on windows update are really nice. Gave me a 100+ point bump in performance on my 8800GT.

I'm really surprised at all the stuff that Windows Update has drivers for. I've gotten drivers for older dell latitudes, a dell precision M70, a newish HP tablet, my Studio XPS 13, and some stuff in my home-built desktop.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jaime posted:

I'm unable to Clean Install Windows 7.

I don't have the Drive options (advanced) option when I try to install windows(I thought maybe I had an older version of the RC since I downloaded it two weeks ago, and no, even the most current version still doesn't give me the Drive Options option on the install menu). It tells me to restart windows from the CD to do anything to my drives.

So I did that and the only options it gives me are to repair Windows 7 or run it in a variety of Safe Modes.

Anyone know what I can do? Should I just delete my windows.old file, even though it is roughly 80gbs?

It sounds like you are trying to install from inside your current Windows installation. You need to boot off the DVD.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Ok, here's one that baffles me with harddrives and Windows experience index:

Desktop: Western Digital Raptor X 160GB 10000rpm, AHCI, Intel P35 chipset: 5,1

Laptop: 2,5" Western Digital Caviar Black, 320GB, 16MB cache, 7200 rpm, Nvidia 9400M chipset, AHCI: 5,8

The Raptor is listed as "Multi Word DMA" in Device manager, which is supposed to be slow, but real world performance is 80MB+ per second.

I would assume that the raptor is faster than the laptop drive, and should get a higher score. Even if the laptop is somewhat faster, I think the difference in score is conspicuously big. Anyone experience something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
More W7 awesomeness: I installed W7 7100 on a HP business notebook (NC8230) at work, moved the harddrive over to a Dell Precision M70, and then to a HP TC4200 tablet. Each time, W7 booted right up, installed new drivers, rebooted, Windows Update to get the missing drivers, and you're good to go! The only system I have had difficulties with is an ancient tablet with some esoteric 1GHz processor and 256MB RAM, which bluescreens at boot.

Also, drag and drop video to your MP3 player, and W7 automatically converts it to the right format for the player.

It seems like MS have hired a group of guys to just sit all day and think "What would be loving AWESOME to have in an operating system?", and then another group of guys just program it in.