Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Mak0rz posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can start troubleshooting this? Google turns up gently caress all.

I would blame the network adapter and just plug a new one in. Odds are, it'll sort it out and network cards are pretty cheap these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Mak0rz posted:

Problem: this is a laptop.

Try something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812315001

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
You can just open Event Viewer from the start menu. The Application log has details about application crashes and the System log has details about BSODs (under the name Bugcheck).

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

ufarn posted:

Anyone know?

netplwiz has the username/pwd prompt option disabled, but the "Users for this computer" shows a "postgres" user. Dunno if this is the problem after I changed the name. No idea why it would map to my username in the log-in screen, though.

This mystery account should show up when you do Start->Run->control userpasswords2

If it still does not show up, there's an Advanced tab with an advanced user management option, where it will definitely show up.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to take the sysprepped laptop that was generated with the bad unattended answer file and simply import a good one? Or do I have to actually completely reinstall Windows, install Office and other apps, and re-do the sysprep and re-generate the image?

Not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether you can sysprep it again with the fixed answer file? Yes, you can.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
What I have found with my brief experience with my personal PCs is that on startup, the firmware (the thing called UEFI or BIOS, depending on the age of your computer) controls the fans. After Windows starts, the motherboard-provided drivers/apps can take over and apply their own settings.

So first check what your fan settings in the firmware control panel are - you can usually access it by pressing Delete on startup or in Windows 10 (time to upgrade, man!) shift-clicking on the Restart option and navigating through a few menus.

If those look sensible, try installing the latest fan management software from your motherboard manufacturer and tweaking the settings in there. If you are not sure what the model of your motherboard is, you can find out from Start->Run->msinfo32.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I can recommend duplicacy as the frontend and Backblaze B2 as the storage. Works great for me (some TBs of data stored) and pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
If I want to enable synchronized user accounts for my home network (Windows 10), is Azure Active Directory free tier a good idea? Having AD without having to have an actual AD domain controller would be pretty useful. But I have not actually used Azure AD - does it even have sensible feature set, especially in its free tier? Will it be more hassle than it is worth?

I mean, I am pretty sure it will be more hassle than just copypasting user accounts at home. But in case it is a miracle cure, I ask.