Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Question : Is there ANYWAY to network in any shape between windows xp and windows 7? I'm the only one at my house running windows 7 and this is proving to be a real pain. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered a thousand times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Xenomorph posted:

What are you trying to do?

Do they both have a password set?

Did you share a folder on each to make sure the proper firewall exceptions have been made?

Can you ping each system from the other?

Networking should work nearly same in 2k/xp/vista/win7/mac/linux.

Windows usually has default policies requiring a password, and the firewall set to keep those ports closed. Making sure to have a password set and sharing a folder fixes that right up.

Was trying to share files, I did a quick google search and couldn't find any answers. I get a prompt for a username and password to login on my xp machine when trying to access files (though shared on the win7 box). I can't find where to create or locate or remove this username and password. It's probably something really simple I'm just missing it because I'm looking in the wrong place, just installed win7 like 2 nights ago.