Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Hey guys, just a couple of questions that I'm sure have been asked (if so, I apologize and feel free to yell at me :) ), but I just installed Win7 the other day and so far I've only made it through the first 6 pages of the thread.

1) On a laptop, is there an easy way to disable the "tap-to-click" crap? It's getting really annoying having things get clicked on accident all the time and there are no settings that I can find for it in Win7 itself. I'd imagine it would be a setting in the driver itself but I can't find where those preferences would be, if they exist.

2) Is there any way at all to make it so that pinning a folder onto the taskbar doesn't force me to put it under the all-in-one Windows Explorer button? On WinXP I used RocketDock and kept certain folders on the dock for easy access and not being able to have that functionality on the Win7 taskbar is a bit weird. If there's no way to fix it, I'll probably just go back to using a dock or something.

I think these are the only two things about Win7 that I wish to change, otherwise it's a great OS. And again, sorry for not reading the whole thread yet but I'll be working on it when I get home. Thanks in advance for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Sorry if this question has been asked a bunch already, but this thread is enormous. Is there a way I could share a single mouse and keyboard with two computers over the internet as opposed to LAN? I know it sounds stupid, but here's why:

At work, I have two PCs at my desk: an IT box with 1 monitor (left) on the company's network, and a "test" box with 2 monitors (center & right) on our department's own network. This means I have 3 monitors sitting side-by-side but I have to use 2 sets of mice/keyboards.

I would like to be able to just move my mouse cursor from the middle monitor to the left monitor just like I would from the right to the center. I could just use a KVM switch like one of the other guys here is, but that's annoying and I'm lazy.

I've tried a lot of Googling but I'm thinking at this point that nobody has made such an app, which I could understand. It seems like it should be as easy as installing the client on both machines, authenticating them in some way (simple username/password in both clients maybe), and then telling the clients which machine(s) belong to which monitor(s).

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Absolutely, you're looking for IP KVM software. Look into Synergy and InputDirector.

I checked into those, but as far as I can tell both apps require the machines to be on the same network. Am I incorrect? I would love to figure out how to make either one of them work.

edit:

LoKout posted:

Beaten a bit, but Input Director uses a fixed port for the slave computers. You could do port forwarding and use a password/key auth for access.

This might be the ticket. I'll give it a try, thanks!

2nd edit: Well poo poo, the IT box requires admin access to install Input Director, which I don't have. At least with Synergy I could just run it from the desktop. Oh well...

bazaar apparatus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 18, 2011