Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Polish posted:

Cause it cost me 150 from Tiger and will probably cost 200 at Best Buy.

Nevermind... its 300 at Best Buy.. what the hell.

If you need it today, you should be able to do what you're describing, which is:

Purchase a copy from TigerDirect (done), purchase a second copy from Best Buy, install the copy from Best Buy, then return (to Best Buy) the copy that you got from TigerDirect.

Pay attention to what they do at Best Buy, they may be suspicious if there is a Best Buy sticker on the copy you buy (and not on the copy you return), or if TigerDirect ships you something in less-than-perfect sealing wrap, Best Buy may not want to return it (and then you're hosed if you opened the copy from Best Buy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Capnbigboobies posted:

Did you ask for the student deal and then give them a valid .edu email? You need one for the 29.99 price.

gently caress Quote =! Edit.

If you call and give a valid .edu, do you have to be able to _check_ this address?

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Watching the news today has been a headache.

"Microsoft is hoping this will redeem their reputation after the failed Windows Vista."

Vista wasn't a failure! It was a good OS goddamnit.

It definitely was not a failure -- I use it at work and it works just fine, but it certainly wasn't exactly a resounding success in the vein of Windows XP. The User Account Control (UAC) system drove people up the wall, and so many people resisted "upgrading" (and in fact, found ways to DOWNGRADE their system back to the OS they knew) that Vista was (comparatively) a failure.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I just got my .edu email addresses re-activated, what's the phone number to call to do this $29.99 deal? I didn't see that in the OP, and win741.com is poo poo about sending me an email.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Mission accomplished, and Win7 Professional Full (Disc) procured for $29.99. Thanks, Megathread!

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Xinlum posted:

The first page FAQ doesn't really answer my one question. Can I use the upgrade version of 7 with my upgrade edition of Vista?

In other words, I have the full version of Windows 98, and upgrade editions of XP and Vista. Can I buy upgrade for 30 bucks with my .edu email with no issues?

This may have been answered in the previous 30 posts, but you can purchase the FULL version of Windows 7 Professional (e.g. doesn't require prior installations) for 30 + shipping. Call the phone number.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Xinlum posted:

I mean that I am running Vista right now, its just that its the upgrade version. Can I use the upgrade edition for 7?

Probably, but why would you, when you can get the full version for so cheap?

Unless of course you're not a student, in which case you will probably be getting the upgrade version, but it should still work.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

5436 posted:

What phone number :(?

Sorry, thought this had finally been added to the OP. 1-877-696-7786, press option 7 at the first menu, then 1 at the second menu. This will connect you to an operator. Tell this operator you want a copy of the Student copy of Windows 7 Professional Full Retail. It should be $29.99 USD.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
As Sir Unimaginative, we can't point you at a particular file, nor can we point you at a particular tracker. But I can confirm that at least three large trackers have the file available for download, and TPB has indeed gone to poo poo.

If you need a hint, you're "hunting" for an "iso". If you can't figure it out from that, I can't really help you.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

nrr posted:

Cheers. I don't really see how it's ooga booga FILES when I have already purchased the program and have a valid key and the file I need is specifically mentioned in the OP, which means there has to be some legit uses for it and therefore it's possible that not everyone looking for it is a scumbag pirate. Like asking for your help to break into my own car, I don't think you guys are gonna get busted for Grand Theft Auto. But I'm not interested in derailing the discussion into a piracy shartfest, so thanks again for your help and 4 Day Weekend, I reckon you can probably sleep easy tonight knowing that your tenbux is safe bro.

I don't know how much easier I could have made it. It's the 4th goddamned result on Google, and if you missed the clue about "hunting for iso's" then I really don't know how much clearer we could have made it.

And, as you point out, if you've bought the key, it's a legit usage of the file. Just check the hashes before you install it.

Edit: I still don't understand how you can't get it directly from Microsoft, unless your ISP is powered by hamster wheels or your current setup is infested with gremlins.

wintermuteCF fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 30, 2009

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

nrr posted:

I don't know man, maybe you could've read the thread where I said so less than a page before I posted?

:supaburn:

No man it's all good, I found it straight away. That's kind of why I quoted you and said cheers and then thanked you again later on in my post. It was frustrating to have wasted 7 hours or so on useless downloads and you gave me exactly what I needed so thanks again.

Sorry if I got some panties in a twist by not knowing exactly what to do, but I did read the OP, put plenty of effort in, and only took the advice that I was given, so maybe a couple of you should chill out. Thanks for all your help. :)

I'm going to be mature and admit that I misunderstood you, and for that I apologize. I thought you were being sarcastic, when it turns out you were just being grateful. Being the internet, I failed to give you the benefit of the doubt, because most people are jerks, so I just assumed you were one too. It was also a little difficult to tell from your post, but it sounded like you were having trouble finding the file, so we figured you were inept or intentionally obtuse. Again, I apologize.

And the more I think about it, while 98% err, 99.999% of torrent traffic is illegal, I fail to see how providing something that Microsoft is also making available (that is, the ISO's of the OS) would constitute enabling piracy. If anything, we're doing them a favour by seeding that ISO for people that are unable to download it directly from them (like, say, nrr here).

End even if you are, that's exactly why Microsoft has, uh, licence keys and activation and all that rigamorale in the first place.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Dogen posted:

Technically, it's both a civil and criminal offense

Will anything happen if you do it? Probably not

Technically, without derailing this thread into a copyright and IP discussion, downloading or possession of digital content is only illegal if you don't have the rights to that content.

Which, if you own a key for Windows, makes it legal. It's only if you don't have a key that makes you be in trouble.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm keen to this myself http://ninite.com/

Seconding this, because it's loving amazing. I found it on LifeHacker recently, and it's great for setting up a PC with "the essentials" after a clean wipe.

The best part is that it downloads the most recent copy of all these programs, whereas if you've been keeping a folder with your install files, they'll be out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

redeyes posted:

There is no upgrading. You will get your old installation renamed to windows.old and a clean install.

This. But don't use this as an excuse to not back up your files (documents, movies, whatever you want to keep) just because your folders get saved to windows.old.

You'll load the DVD, it'll say that you can't do an in-place upgrade to 7, and ask you to do a clean install.

e; fb