Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Odd one for me too.

Just installed the x64 Ultimate RC (Yay MSDN account) and my SoundMAX onboard sound only outputs through the front panel jack. This is the same after installing the Vista x64 driver from ASUS.

I've googled aroud a bit, but all I can find is some sketchy password protected RARs, and I don't know about them.

The board is an M2N-SLI Deluxe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Casual Racist posted:

I have a similar board the M2N-E and the default windows 7 drivers work perfectly (...)

That's the funny thing. I tried with the default Win7 drivers and they seem to be working fine, but it won't detect I plug anything in either at the back or front. S/PDIF is chosen as default and I can't even select any of the others.

I'll try with another driver to see.

EDIT: No dice. I've tried a few other drivers from that FTP site and still the same. At least with those drivers I get sound through the front jack. The Microsoft drivers aren't giving me anything.

Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 22, 2009

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Casual Racist posted:

Humm, this is what my sound properties look like

If I want to use my headphones that are connected to my analog out, I have to select the "Speakers" and set them as default to get sound out of them. I don't think it has ever notified me when I plugged anything into the onboard sound, that only seemed to happen when I used the SoundMax drivers.

Yeah, but when they're showing up as "Not Plugged In" you can't even set it as default. With that setup, try it with your HDMI output now without plugging it in.

EDIT: I changed the sound card setting in the BIOS from AC97 to HD Audio with no change.
Another funny thing is that the front mic jack now passes sound directly to the speakers without the OS picking it up, but if I plug it in at the back it works perfectly.

I honestly have no idea any more.

Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 23, 2009

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Looks exactly the same.

I'm gonna try flashing the BIOS to see if there's a fix for it, as some googling leads me to believe it might help. If not, it's not the end of the world. I get sound, just not where I'd normally get it from, so no real biggie.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Still no dice on the sound card, but I just discovered something nifty.

The taskbar icon shows progress of file transfers. This is fromcopying my Steam folder. Don't know if it was like that in Vista, but coming from XP that's just an awesome feature.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Slow is Fast posted:

Is there a recommended free anti-virus for Win 7 64 bit?

I'm running Avast! without any issues so far.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Discovered another nifty feature in WMP yesterday. If you have a DVD ISO mounted in PowerISO and drag in any file from the VIDEO_TS folder, WMP starts the DVD as if you just put in the DVD itself.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that there's very little swap going. I had a few torrents going and I was alternating between watching a movie and browsing, but my RAM usage was at 83%, or 5 of 6GB in use. The page file however never went above 200MB during this time.

However, when I exited all applications the RAM usage still hovered at around 5GB "in use" with the last GB being cached. I didn't test to see if that would get released if I started up another memory-hungry application, but I can only assume it does. Is this for fast startup of the applications if I decide to reopen them straight away?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

syphon posted:

Weird, I'm running on a system with only 2gb of RAM, and it still runs great. I can't imagine using 5gb just for torrents, browsing, and movies (I have all of that and more running most nights). It's gotta be how Windows handles memory management these days.

I honestly have no idea, but it's still nice not to hear the hard drive being hammered with the swap all the time. XP on the same rig with 2GB installed swapped like there was no tomorrow under the same load.

Has there been any papers on memory management in Win7 yet? Would be an interesting read.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Leathal posted:

I know ram is the thing to go for first, but any suggestions on what I should upgrade next before Win7 goes gold?

Depends on what your primary use for the PC will be. My first thought aside from adding a lot more RAM would be to beef up the CPU.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Alex007 posted:

What card or company should I go with, considering this is for Win7 ? I've read ugly things about ATI's lovely drivers (or was it Nvidia?) here, so I'd like to buy something with a good track record for drivers.

I'm not a big gamer so I don't need anything hardcore.

Thanks !

I'd say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162001 should work fine for you.

I prefer nVidia, as they usually have a more stable driver base than ATI. ATI's drivers have been on and off for quite some time, and while they're apparently good now, the last few years haven't been as good, according to many many complaints. nVida's driver quality seems to be on a far more stable level over a long period of time.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
:siren: Working drivers for the SoundMax AD1988 and possibly other SoundMax cards found! :siren:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/AD200B_6570_Win7.zip

This finally managed to pick up me plugging stuff into the various jacks and the sound control panel now identifies everything properly. Just run the setup as admin and reboot.

Been getting some crashes in games here and there as well befoer I updated, so hopefully this will fix it.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
And the servers are getting hammered. Unable to get a new key and the download only managing 140k/sec...

Ahwell, not really in a rush anyway.

EDIT: Microsoft really hates Firefox... Started the download from IE in stead, and all of a sudden I get 600k/sec in stead.

Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 6, 2009

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Just managed to get a key, but the download is down to about a hundred k/sec.

I'll share the key for those that haven't got one yet.

Foxtrot Charlie Kilo Golf Whiskey...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

The Gasmask posted:

Hmm, I never thought about this. I don't believe my system has onboard graphics, but I'll check that out. If it does, this might be an easier fix than I thought.

Yeah, that and Alcohol 120%. I had Alcohol installed, it was working, but for some reason (I can't figure out why), I uninstalled it. Going back and trying to reinstall, I ran into the issue of the SPTD driver not installing properly. I found some instructions saying to delete a registry key and delete the SPTD.sys file, before installing the drivers with the official SPTD tool, but that didn't work. Then tried Daemon Tools, but I hit the same issue.

Install SPTD 1.60 before you install Daemon Tools. Done deal.

http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd