Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So I'm contemplating installing Windows 7 over my current Vista x64 installation. I know this has probably been asked to death, and I read the OP and the last page here, but it's crucial: Are there any programs/games that work in Vista but DON'T work in Windows 7? Is there a comprehensive compatibility list for Windows 7 somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
One thing about Windows 7 that's royally pissing me off ever since installing it over Vista is not being able to access my own files on my D:\ drive. When I try to save a screenshot to "D:\" for example, W7 gives me a "You do not have permission to save this file here, would you like to save it in My Pictures instead?" message.

So then I go into my D: drive's properties>the Security Tab>and tick "Full Control" for every group, but when I try to save a screenshot to drive D:, I get a "A required privilege is not held by the client" message or some poo poo.

How do I get Windows 7 to stop bossing me around and let me do whatever I want with MY files?!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

c0burn posted:

Take ownership of the files via the Security Tab (Advanced>Owner).

For all people who keep getting ownership/security issues - wtf are you doing? Do you pick a different username and password for every OS install or what?

That seemed to work, but Paint still wouldn't save my screenshot to D:\...and then it hit me. I exited out of Paint, and this time right-clicked and ran it as an administrator. Saved without a hassle.

I had UAC disabled in Vista the whole time, and now I guess I have to get used to it again. Maybe that's messing with some programs now since Windows 7 re-enabled UAC? Ugh. Is there a way to not have to run every program as an administrator while keeping that UAC security layer?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Tivac posted:

Is Windows 7 going to be a lot cheaper than anyone expected?

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090606/best-buy-memo-leaks-windows-7-pricing/

If this is true, that's not bad at all. I usually buy full OEM versions from NewEgg when I get Windows. At least I could careless about the "Ultimate" edition this time with 7, but I wish Windows 7 kept DreamScene from the Ultimate Extras; I thought that was neat.

I'll admit it though: I thought I was going to stick with Vista, but the more I use 7, the more I like it a lot. I'm jazzed for a Home Premium copy with the way things are going so far.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Sorry I missed the differences in the OP.

It seems like home premium would really be fine for me. I have no need for the XP VM. I guess I would have to see a list of all the fine details before I made a decision. But $50 for home premium would be absolutely fine with me, and would be the first OS I would be willing to buy off the shelf at launch.

Here's a nifty side-by-side chart comparing each version. Unless you desperately need XP mode for old business (read: non-intensive software) or need to make your computer a remote host to another computer, Home Premium is the one to get.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Factor Mystic posted:

This really cannot be stressed enough and should go in the OP.

Yeah, I had it in my head that I could utilize it for games until I remembered that I have yet to stumble upon an old(er) PC game I want to play you can't somehow get working natively in Vista (using compatibility modes sometimes) or DOSBox (for DOS games, obviously).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
All you people talking about "elevating privileges" and all this UAC discussion about having it on yet not getting any prompts is confusing the hell out of me. Is there a general guide out there to keep UAC on but not get any prompts? Do you have to do it folder by folder and tick "Run this program as an administrator" on the program's .exe?

For WinRAR, I have it ticked, get prompted every time I open an RAR file, but then I can extract it wherever the hell I want, but with other programs like Paint, "Run this program as an administrator" is greyed out. :confused:

I didn't realize how important UAC was, because I had it disabled in Vista. Now I have it at the default level in Win7, and I would like to learn all this file permission stuff so I can keep it on.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Casao posted:

If you do go with Digsby, be sure to get the alt installer without the crap.

This is interesting since I've been wanting to try something other than Pidgin. Where is this alt installer you speak of, and can you create "aliases" for people on your buddy list like you can in Pidgin?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Casao posted:

It's on the download page, or linked in the OP of the Digsby thread here. Something like 'If you're having problems installing or putting it on a flashdrive".

As for Aliases, it's supported by pretty much every IM protocol natively, and Digsby supports storing them server side and renaming. I don't know anyone's IM names since I've got other names listed.

It also supports metacontacts, in case you have friends cross-protocols or with lots of usernames.

drat, this is pretty snazzy. Think I'm gonna keep this and uninstall Pidgin. Thanks for the recommendation!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Has anything been significantly reworked enough to warrant upgrading from v.7100?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

fishmech posted:

Various bugs have been fixed in each new build. If you have problems on 7100 or just want to upgrade, by all means upgrade to a newer build. It doesn't take very long to upgrade anyway.

Can I just magically update it, or do I have to do a complete reformat? I don't want to reformat again because it takes me almost a week to get everything situated the way I like it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Retrograde posted:

Is there any way to make ctrl-alt-del bring up task manager like xp did? I'm getting sick of the vista/7 lets black out brother screens and pause before bringing up that stupid menu where you select it from.

Unless a program hard locks my PC, I've been getting used to right-clicking the taskbar and clicking "Start Task Manager".

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

FallenGod posted:

Just took the plunge and wiped Vista 64 out of boredom. Working great so far, just need to play around with the task bar a bit more and see what I do / don't want pinned.

Haven't tried any games yet, but every program I use day-to-day works fine and my whole CCCP / MPC / CoreAVC setup works just as it did under Vista.

I didn't realize how helpful the whole "pinning programs to the taskbar" would be, but I can't believe Windows never had it before.

And Windows 7 is the first Windows I've never felt the urge to download a codec pack for. Every .avi file I've thrown at WMP has played natively with no problems and Windows now supports QuickTime files. What do you need a codec pack for anymore?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If I knew for sure the Home Premium Upgrade for Windows 7 worked with the RC of Windows 7, that would be awesome, but I guess you would be screwed then if you ever wanted to reformat.

I've fallen for Windows 7 so much, that I sold all of my old copies of Windows (XP Home, Vista Business, and Vista Ultimate respectively), and am just running the RC on my PC here. Worst comes to worst, an OEM Home Premium x64 DVD of Windows 7 from NewEgg can't be that much.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

bradzilla posted:

Tried to search, but goddamn if this isn't a big thread, so apologies if it's been asked:

At this point, if I install the release candidate of Windows 7, will it reboot every two hours? I'd still like to use it for a bit before deciding on purchasing a full copy, without being bothered every two hours. I read the OP but I'm just trying to verify that.

If you're using the RC you can download from Microsoft, it won't start doing that until March 1st of next year.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So I just rebooted and two of my Gadgets (the clock and calendar) just completely vanished, and I can't open the "Gadgets" window from the right-click menu when I clock on the desktop. What the hell? I'm running the RC (7100).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

kapinga posted:

I've occasionally seen this happen, no idea why, I haven't really tried to reproduce it. Go to the task manager (ctrl-shift-esc is the better way) and kill the sidebar.exe process. Then right click on the desktop and select gadgets. The window will open and all your gadgets will reappear on the desktop where they used to be.

I do and always have run UAC at the default Windows 7 settings for those who are wondering.

I turned my computer off when I left for my girlfriend's house earlier today, and turned it back on a little while ago and now everything is back to normal, but I'll keep that in mine for future issues. Must of been a weird glitch or something. Thanks.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Xenomorph posted:

That's some collection.

Indeed. It also reminds me I need to watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit again.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyone here been having problems getting their wireless 360 controller to work in games? Windows 7 found my controller's receiver from Windows Update and installed it. The controller responds fine when I test it out in the control panel, but for Windows games I can clearly use it in, it won't respond at all. Do I need an additional driver or something?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

No one answered my question earlier so I guess its a no but: Is there a patch out to make the "build 7100" watermark on the bottom right of the desktop go away like there was for build 7000?

FWIW, I just tried this from the first link from the Google search above and it worked just fine. Hooray!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

redeyes posted:

So if you want to pre-order Windows 7 full version Professional? http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional/product/B985134B

Yeah that loving sucks. I'm not impressed at all.

So $199 for the retail version of Home Premium? That sounds normal, I guess. I wonder how much an OEM 64-bit disc will be.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Spatule posted:

How much ram do I need to make Windows decently fast ? 2, 3 or 4 gb ? It doesn't quite work with 1 as I currently have.

Nowadays it's ideal to have at least 2GB, but 4GB is optimal and isn't that much more.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

that one guy posted:

So does this mean a few years down the road if I want to wipe my Windows 7 computer and do a clean re-install, or I get a new HDD and want to start anew, I need to re-install my old XP, then install 7 on top of it?

Yes, which is why I'm waiting to buy a full OEM copy instead of the upgrade because installing an OS on top of ANOTHER OS kinda ruins the whole "squeaky-clean" feel of a re-format like I want.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

That's what I was going to do but at 4x (or 3x for pro) the cost, I'm fine with installing vista/xp first.

I know this has been asked to death and back, but I want to be sure:

If I bought an upgrade disc, could I install Vista without entering a product key and immediately install the Windows 7 upgrade disc immediately after that...? If so, I think I could stand to save that much.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I went ahead and pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium from NewEgg since I won't re-format all that much and would rather save the money. I'll re-install Vista a few times first if I get Win7 for just $50. Free shipping too, and NewEgg ships fast.

I just wanted to get my order in before the promotion ends in 2 days too.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
:siren: Last day to order your Home Premium ($49.99) and Professional ($99.99) Upgrades for those prices!

I know one of the biggest perks to Professional is domain join...is that like if you wanted to connect your laptop to your desktop and transfer files by making your desktop the host? Is there another program that could do that if you don't buy Professional? Honestly, that's the only thing I would miss.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

LooseChanj posted:

No, it's a server thing and if you don't know what it is you don't need it. You can copy files and whatnot with Home.

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure Professional wasn't missing any "home-centric" versions before the promo expired. I've gotten along fine with all of the Home versions in the past, so I'll stick with my Home Premium pre-order*.

*Unless the OEM version isn't that much more when it's released, then I'd rather have that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

quote:

If you are running the Windows 7 Release Candidate, and you have activated it, you will not need to reinstall an older version of Windows before using an Windows 7 upgrade disk.

This would be extremely good news, considering it could do a clean install and start from scratch.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Heran Bago posted:

From the OP:

Can I upgrade from XP with a Windows 7 upgrade disc or not? I also have the latest Windows 7 RC disc image and a valid key for that, which would work according to the more recent posts, but I'd like to skip the process if I can.

That just means you can't do an "in-place" upgrade, but you have to do a "clean install" where you have to re-install your drivers/applications, which I like better since there will be much less conflict with things.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

redeyes posted:

Yes, I just installed them and they work fine, just like the older 64bit Vista drivers...

Going into a slight derail here, but is it worth getting a Xonar card if you only have a decent Logitech 2.1 speaker setup? I have a Chaintech AV-710 Envy24 card now that looks and sounds just fine to me, and I hear nothing but horrible things about Creative and their drivers. Would the Xonar be a worthwhile upgrade on a 2.1 system?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I've switched over to the free version of Alcohol 52% from Daemon Tools and am enjoying it more.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hamelin posted:

I would guess that he's not terribly bright.

I had a strong feeling when my eyes first passed over "two video cards" and have now confirmed it with "two gigs of DDR3".

Your roommate should've read this.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Lenins Potato posted:

Assuming you have the version with the correct hashes, yes. You can install RTM now and continue to rearm until you get the key.

But isn't the RTM ISO that's out right now the "Ultimate" edition? What happens if people try and just use their Home Premium and Professional keys when they get their copies in? Will the RTM take them since it's technically "Ultimate"?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mister Bung posted:

So if I do an upgrade from Vista will it still be 'clogged' with Vista crap?

Or is it best to do a complete flatten and reinstall?

I always recommend doing a clean install. That way, you'll see how much faster and leaner Windows 7 really is.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

giZm posted:

loving hell, MS decided to not include Windows Movie Maker with 7, for who knows what reason :psyduck:

At least Windows isn't BLOATED anymore hurf durf

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

deep square leg posted:

The extra crap that used to come with Windows used to annoy me, and back when I had a 800MB drive I'd go through after the installation and delete whatever crap I could (sounds, backgrounds, screen savers). This was before most people were online, though, so I could understand why they included this 'value added' stuff.

With the size of hard disks nowadays it really doesn't matter, but now that most people are online and can download whatever extras they want they don't need to pad the default installation as much.

I'm the opposite. I love all the little superflicious things that used to be in Windows, like DreamScene in Vista Ultimate, neat desktop themes, and especially the Plus! packs of yore in the Windows 9x days.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

LooseChanJ posted:

You people who don't like screensavers are dead on the inside. :colbert:

:hfive:

diarrhea for girls posted:

the AfterDark series

gently caress yes! I used to always have the After Dark sets on my older Windows 3.1/9x PCs. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :(

Just found an XP/Vista compatible freeware set of After Dark modules here, but I can't run the Setup because it requires a 32-bit machine and I have 64-bit. =/

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Parachute Underwear posted:

Kaspersky has a technical preview of their new W7-certified IS solution that you can still use for free until they decide it's good enough for release. I'm currently using it right now with the RC on my laptop and it works fine. Save your license for later.

http://www.kaspersky.com/windows7

Whoa. :wth: I'm using KIS 2009 and my license is about to run out. I didn't know they were starting another version so soon. Thanks for the heads-up!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So for you guys that have the RTM version installed, is there any immediate differences between it and the RC? I'm still running the RC until I get my Home Premo disc in because I'm too lazy to reformat right now.

And all this keyboard shortcut is new to me. In all my PCs since Windows 3.1, the only keyboard shortcut I've ever used are the really common ones like Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc., etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Ham Session posted:

I just installed windows 7 RTM and what is making me angry is the aero glass reflection, vista didn't have this but windows 7 does and it makes the selected icons on the taskbar apeear brighter then they should be.

I, too, get angry when Microsoft tries to improve the GUI and make it look more snazzy. loving assholes.