Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

the posted:

What are the most useful desktop gadgets you fellas use?

I've got Everest running temperature readings and cpu speeds, as well as an analog clock.

I tried to get a Xbox Live friends gadget, but it refused to work and just showed the silverlight logo (which I have installed).

Click here for the full 197x627 image.

(Silverlight! :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Hung Yuri posted:

I'm talking about, logging onto the network (specifically the secure wireless) of my college, results in either norton or Sophos Protection silently installing itself and blocking me from uninstalling it from my computer saying I don't have permission to uninstall it (even as admin on the computer).

How the hell is that even possible? Unless you're running XP I can't see that happening if you have UAC and DEP enabled on a Win7 machine.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Hung Yuri posted:

Er, no I have a password to login and a thumbprint scanner on mine...

Maybe it's because I'm using their install of xp rather than my own. I just realized maybe there's some software on it that allows them to install stuff? I haven't seen anything weird like that however...

That could be it. You could always ask helpdesk if you could install your own OS on there. You can get Win7 for $30 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows.aspx

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

FISHMANPET posted:

Holy poo poo that looks awesome. Would that work when going from a 32 bit to 64 bit install using the same key?

It should, if I remember correctly your key is a single activation of 32-bit or 64-bit, it doesn't distinguish which one it is. The only thing the activation cares about is whether or not it's activated multiple times or if it's been blacklisted.