Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Dumb small question that's probably been answered but I've only just found the thread:

What's the simplest/lightweight program or Chrome extension that I can rip YouTube videos out with? Additional light editing tools built in would be nice but not necessary. Used to use something appropriately called "Youtube Downloader" but it turned into malware. Just want to rip music videos from youtube into an .mp4 file so I can pop them on the HTPC for my music video collection during parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I downloaded the .exe and ran it and it didn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Any other program suggestions that don't require typing poo poo into a command line to download a simple video? Is Replay Media Catcher still around and up to date?

EDIT: I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

EDIT X2: Newest version of Replay Media Catcher worked great. Thanks!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 8, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Oh poo poo, just tested this out and it's exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Hey thread, have a new hurdle/question. Looking for a lightweight program or online QR code reader that I can load a jpg or whatever image file into and have it spit out what it normally would with a smartphone. Looks like the "authenticator apps" it accepts are Google Authenticator, Duo, LastPass, Microsoft Authenticator or Other.

Was getting consistent results between a couple online ones when I tried looking yesterday but it's asking for a 6-digit code when every reader kept spitting out like the same 40 characters.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

What part of the data an app shows you depends on the app, not the QR code, because the code always contains all the data that a proper QR code parser would show you. It's just that not all of that is always relevant - if you need only a six-digit code, the rest of the QR code can be filled with noise to obscure that.

I tried this one and it shows you the entire contained data as both hex and plaintext: https://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

Figuring out which part of that would be what you need for your app would be up to you.
Thanks, huh yeah it's doing the same thing (giving me a full line of characters when I only want six).

It's in order to get through Datto's 2FA if that helps. I'm unfamiliar with mobile tech and I obviously can't scan this stupid poo poo with a flip phone.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

gariig posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you trying to setup an OTP two-factor account with a QR code? If you are you need a OTP app to read the QR code. The QR code is a nice way of sending a human a very large binary encoded secret that's used by the OTP algorithm to calculate the 6 digits used when challenged. I'm not sure where "flip phone" came from.
I'm trying to log into Datto. It's requiring me to enable 2FA before I can log in and the only option is through scanning a QR code on the screen and then entering whatever 6-digit verification code appears afterwards. I do not have a smartphone to do this.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

gariig posted:

Like most people said you need an TOTP (Timebased One Time Password). I'd suggest Authy which has a Windows app. You can also look to see if Datto supports SMS TOTP, where you request a token and Datto will send you a code. Just note SMS is pretty broken and if someone really wants to hack you it's super easy to spoof your phone number and receive the SMS code

EDIT: Also, having it on the same device does defeat the purpose some. However, if someone has your laptop and password to your laptop things are probably worse
I'd be happy with SMS but no, the only option is this dumb QR code scanner.

Finally managed to get in using an old lovely tablet I had in a drawer somewhere. Will explore the Authenticator options once I'm not seething with rage about stupid assholes constantly trying to integrate mobile tech into home office business software. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and narrowing down what I actually need to start figuring out!

RELATED: My bank removed the ability to scan & deposit checks with my scanner and I'm PISSED.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 29, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask but I'm not sure where to put it.

I really need to save two videos on two different sites just incase they are ever deleted I'd like to have my own copy. One video is on YouTube and one is on the PBS.com site. I've tried some chrome extensions but none of them worked.

Is there an easy way to save these? One of them is small news story that PBS did with my father and I'd like to have it saved to another place.

Anyone have a suggestion here?

http://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Hey all. Need to set up this ancient-rear end iPod Shuffle on my PC. What's the best easy/cheap/not iTunes solution for getting the drat music on it?
I believe that the iPod Shuffle is one of (if not the only) models that doesn't fragment it's files. Have you tried just dumping the .mp3 files onto it like a thumb drive?