Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Imapanda posted:

Is there anywhere where that I can download the Windows 7 version of MS paint to previous versions of windows?

Having it would be a dream beyond my crappy Windows XP paint.

Probably not; most things that come with a given version of Windows are dependent on APIs that aren't necessarily in previous versions.

You COULD, however, grab Paint.NET and see if that's close enough to Win7 Paint to work for you.

You might see PaintRibbon around, but while it gets closer to the look, the functionality is lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

I'm trying to get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 from my MSDNAA account, but the download link isn't showing up anywhere. I put it in my cart and went through checkout, but it never gave me the download link. It did give me the key, but that's not very useful without the ISO. Is there some stupid thing that I am missing?

When you log in (seriously, try logging out and back in) it'll put up a "My Software" screen. There should be download options for the things you bought (even if free).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

I hope I'm not screwed on this.

I've got two licenses for Pro and am using a downloaded iso (hash ok). Whether I entered the serial on install or once Windows was already running, I get a message to the effect that it is not an appropriate serial for the installation. Is there some kind of Microsoft serial validator I can run to tell me what type of installations these are?

The hash in the OP is for Ultimate. If you already have that image, you'd have to edit* or remove /sources/ei.cfg to change the edition. (Note that this is a lot easier if you just extract the ISO to a folder (or flash drive for installs from outside the OS entirely)).

Tell me what it says at the bottom edge of the screen when you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Edit: If it turns out you did install Ultimate, just do what 'you'd have to' to the image for your current architecture (32 for 32, 64 for 64) and upgrade install. Current architecture is in the 'System' control panel.

*to say Professional instead of Ultimate, of course.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 9, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Yossarko posted:

Is there any way to get rid of this default "blue" [selection] color in 7 ?
As far as I know, the color of the selection box cannot be changed through the control panel. Maybe it can be in registry, I dunno.

quote:

And I just installed Office 2007 and the applications are all XP baby blue, I think it looks horrible (especially Outlook) and I'd much rather have a grey or beige color that goes with everything.

that one guy posted:

It may only be partially what you want, but - if you click the Windows Logo thing in Office 2007 stuff and go to "options" there's a way for you to change the color scheme to black.
Or silver. That's about it though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

IntoTheNihil posted:

:wtc: Is that true?

that same article posted:

Since this mysterious alternate Registry does not have an official name, let’s call it “Registry: The Starter Edition” because it is a greatly simplified and dumbed-down version. In fact, instead of five hives like the standard Registry, this one only has two: HKEY_CLUELESS_USER and HKEY_CRAPPY_MACHINE.

Does this sound like something that would be released in a general-purpose product to you?

Do you really think they could release this and not get crucified in the media for any number of things, ranging from abandoning their security initiatives to offending users?

How could you possibly believe this is a factual article?

Edit: Dang.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

NerdPolice posted:

Any idea why my HDD enclosure (2.5) won't work in win7? It will connect and work in WInXP but I can't even plug it in without literally 50+ warnings saying it needs to format then saying it cannot format the drive over and over. It was a HDD from my Dell that just died, want to wipe it clean after I transfer some files, any ideas?

The drive, or the controller in the enclosure, could have failed. Substitute for each (although the substitute drive shouldn't have anything important on it when you test the enclosure, just in case).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grawl posted:

I got another problem right now. Almost every window now has a diagonal line of dots, from the lower left to the upper right side of the corner. The dots are just a pixel big, and they're transparent. So if I move the screen around, the color of the dots change, making me think this is not a hardware failure but somehow software related. This happened yesterday, when I installed the latest updates Windows gave. I think I also got some small thing for my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 22NW), but I'm not sure how that'd affect this all.

First, roll back the monitor driver in Device Manager. If that works, hide the driver in Windows Update when it pops again and go on your merry way. If not, just update it again.

If the fix above didn't work and you downloaded a graphics driver in your updates yesterday, roll it back. Same idea.

v v v Also, see if your codec settings got mangled somehow.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 15, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Science posted:

I installed Vista 7 Ultimate about a month ago and for reasons that elude me Windows keeps showing a floppy drive in my computer. I built the computer myself so I'm pretty sure there is no floppy drive.

Every time I remember I remove the floppy drive from the Device Manager, but after restarting Windows adds it again.

Is there anyway to fix this? It's minor, but I'm anal about my computer not running perfectly.

Go into your BIOS. Look for either a floppy or A:/B: option. It should say '1.44 MB floppy' or something to that effect. Change that to the equivalent of 'not present'. (Note that you may have to switch off some sort of 'Halt if no floppy' option. This is a chance to get familiar with your BIOS, which you really should take. Just make sure to either backup your settings or not save any settings that involve more changes than that floppy thing.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 26, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Binary posted:

Just installed a new copy of Windows 7 Home pro on a new PC. I've installed the latest video card drivers (HD 4890) and the text still looks blurry and the refresh rate seems to be bothering me. For whatever reason it lists the refresh rate as 59HZ, if I set it to 60 it's back at 59 when I check again, where in the world does this number come from? The desktop graphics right now look like I've gone to a previous version of Windows, not upgraded to the latest and greatest. Tested Fallout 3 and it seems to display fine, it's the desktop that's does not seem right.

Edit: the monitor is set to its native resolution as well.

59 is shorthand for 59.94 (which you'd think is close enough to 60 as makes no difference), which is the ATSC standard refresh (because it was the NTSC standard refresh). It comes from the fact that the difference between computers and home theater components is rapidly decreasing - if they're from the past couple years and not a games console, your DVR and Blu-ray player are probably running either a custom Linux build or Windows CE - as are the differences between TVs and monitors, since a modern TV is basically just a display panel with a tuner and maybe speakers. So they make the A/V geek's job easy (easier anyway) and leave it to the computer geek to solve his own problems (or - as of Vista, with nVidia and HDMI anyway - not).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

rotaryfun posted:

Every windows disk has the same image on it. Why wouldn't it?

Except you can't do an in place upgrade from 2000, XP, or even some verions of Vista. How is one "supposed" to accomplish that?

Start it from within the old OS, or at least boot to the image while the old OS is still on the hard drive? Clean install just means 'we'll drop a new OS on the disc, and if an old one exists we'll pack it off somewhere', not 'You must clear your platters before venturing forth'.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Just got Windows 7 installed on a new box I just built. First time using 7, installed Windows 7 Professional and was saddened to see no Solitaire.

I didn't see anything in the OP and did some searches but didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been asked a billion times. Where is Solitaire? Do I have to do whatever the Windows 7 equivalent of "Add and Remove Windows Features" or whatever to get it installed?

Indeed you do. Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Games checked. (Actually it's an entire category, so you could have JUST Solitaire on if you wanted.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Zorilla posted:

What kind of netbook doesn't support Aero? I have an MSI Wind, one of the earliest Atom netbooks and it does just fine with its GMA950.

The early Eee PCs (like back when they had names like 2G Surf) had 800x480 screens (no biggie) powered by a GMA 900 (well there's your problem).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

XK posted:

I understand how it should work, but something is apparently wrong with that feature. My hard drives access much less often now, opening folders and programs is quicker, and none of my programs are being starved of data any longer. I had been beginning to think my new drive was failing, or was simply slow (~5400 rpm Western Digital green), but choking while downloading at 100 Kbps or burning a 4x DVD-RW disk didn't really make sense for any modern drive. This would happen while there was nothing else running except for the programs in question, even with anti-virus disabled, on a several day old fresh install. I can't even remember the last time I used search, so it's really a worthless feature for me anyway.

You're masking a 'kind of a big deal' symptom. And for the sake of your data, you may want to fix it.

1. Review your SMART data. Most hardware profilers work unless you have a weird arrangement of computer equipment, and CrystalDiskInfo will work for just about anything that has SMART data. Your reallocated sector count should have a reported value of an even multiple of 100 (depending on # of platters) and if there's a raw value available (the actual number of reallocated sectors) it should be all zeroes. (Note that, if you're using Speccy, the only raw values it won't show are zeros, and future updates may show zero values as well.) If you do have reallocated sectors, back up everything you care about and replace your hard drive RIGHT NOW.

2. If that's okay:
Make sure your hard drive controller's speed settings (in Device Manager) hasn't been downgraded - if they're at PIO or any DMA setting lower than the maximum, go to step 4. Otherwise (or if they aren't listed, as with most AHCI SATA controllers) continue with the next step.

3. Run chkdsk (no flags). Any errors that need a restart? Go to step 4. Otherwise step 6.

4. Back up your stuff, if you haven't already, and run chkdsk /b. Save this for when you have to work or sleep, though; it can take a minute.

5. If your controller speed was below the maximum, set it to the maximum. Go back to step 1.

6. Defrag the hell out of your system.

7. Those features you disabled were enabled at install for a reason. You may want to turn them back on.

8. If you still have a problem, your issue may lie with the controller itself or with some other part of your system, and it's time to take it into the tech support forum.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 25, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kegwen posted:

Is there a simple way to change your installed version of Windows 7? I have a key for Professional, but I performed this installation with a retail copy of Home Premium. I didn't have a Professional ISO sitting around.

Worst case I'll just reinstall when I have access to my Professional DVD again, but it'd be great if I could just upgrade it somehow without a new install.

Anytime Upgrade won't do the job, by the way. Not with a regular Professional key, at least.

Unless they have a different install.wim on the Home Premium install disc than on Pro (and if they do that I haven't heard of it), you could do this:

Back up any files you care about.
Copy the install media to a user-editable folder on your hard drive (like a folder on the desktop), even if you're using a/the administrator account.
Open ./sources/ei.cfg in a text editor.
Change 'Home Premium' to 'Professional'.
Save.
Upgrade from the HD installer with your Pro key.

EDIT: This could somehow work just fine but NOT solve your problem if your install medium and desired version of Windows don't share an architecture - say, you have a 32-bit disc but want a 64-bit Windows system (or vice versa, but it's hard to imagine why).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 20, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

A question for all those better at this sort of thing than I:

I have Win 7 Home Premium, and I've been noticing that when I play movies, clips, etc that I've saved to my HDD that whatever media player I use freezes for several minutes, and finally picks back up. I've tried uninstalling the players, and running virus checks. I had a few viruses, but they're gone now(I do data backups/recoveries for a few friends, and that's where they came from).

The problem started before I think I had any of the viruses, but has gone from sporadic to annoyingly frequent to where I can't even get through whatever I'm watching.

Anyone have any ideas to fix this? It'd be nice not to have to track down a disc, I bought 7 when it was $15 student price download only. I ordered a disc but never got one :(

1) What are your system specs? (Even if it's a prebuilt or laptop, marque and model aren't usually enough, and configuration codes are too easy for lay-users to confuse with serial numbers to ask for.)
2) What AV/other anti-bad-stuff software are you using?
3) What codec packs have you installed?
4) When did you last defragment? (If you have Windows on an SSD - tell us which one, if you do - this should be never.)

EDIT: You know your friends' data is untrustworthy. Stop letting it touch your system.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 20, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Edmond Dantes posted:

I put Win 7 in my netbook and wanted to install Baldur's Gate to it, but looks like Alcohol 120 does not work on windows 7 (at least not the copy I had). What's the "go to" program to set up virtual drives in win 7 nowadays?

DAEMON Tools Lite, Virtual CloneDrive, take your pic. Just pay attention to what the installers are doing. (Then again, a lot of installers cram extraneous crapware into themselves these days, so this is just good practice.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Factor Mystic posted:

No not really

Yes; 4GB is the max amount of addressable space, and you need to total other aspects (such as your video card ram) to calculate the real total. But you're not really going to have terrible performance or anything if you stay with 32bit. It's not really a big deal, unless you have a >= 1GB video card or are antsy about it.

Address space isn't the driving reason to go to 64-bit (yet). The driving reasons are that AMD64* is rather more secure than x86, and 64-bit addressing in general allows for faster and more efficient encryption and compression operations (which are both becoming much more prevalent with all the security concerns and internet media these days).

*This is the name of the instruction set 64-bit Windows runs on (in contrast to the Itanium 64-bit set, or IA64). Intel uses it as well, mostly because Microsoft said they wouldn't make an IA64 port of Windows and if Intel didn't adopt AMD64 they could get bent. Your Core and i# processors will run 64-bit Windows just fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

madlobster posted:

Isn't there a IA64 version of XP? Also, Intel seems to be using the name Intel 64, and everyone else is calling it x86-64 or just x64.

I... huh, so they DID make an Itanium version of XP. But it's generally not good practice to still be using XP or to ever have used XP64, and Microsoft did eventually issue such an ultimatum, and this is the Windows 7 thread. And the reasons they call it that is because, for the former, it's an extension of x86, and for the latter, AMD64 was deemed (and rightfully so) to be confusingly named.

As for why Intel calls it Intel 64, probably marketing.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 25, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AquaVita posted:

If it only added metadata to the tracks and left the actual sound file alone, that would be perfect. I'll play around with it and see how it comes out. Thanks for the suggestion, I think this might do it!

MP3s already have internal metadata, and adding flags into it doesn't affect the actual recording. If you're hoping that there's some way to make changes in file system metadata, and inject them at sync, then you effectively make the sound itself inconsistent in reproduction, since so many players handle files so differently (but usually with FAT32, which has extremely limited and non-extensible metadata). To have the solution you appear to want, you may as well ask twelve figures' worth of computer sub-industries to make a sea change just to suit you - it's about as likely to happen.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Green Puddin posted:

Real quick question, probably stupid but I wouldn't know the terms to use in a Google search so I'll ask here.

Is there a way to change power plans "on the fly"? As in, if I unplug my laptop, it'll go to Balanced, and when I plug it back in, it'll switch to High performance? It's not too back manually switching it, but hey, I figured if that's one more thing I can get out of the way in life (It's shaving 0.00025 seconds of my life GOD drat IT) then that'd be neato.

Not that I know of, but you could always set the Balanced 'plugged in' settings to mirror the High Performance ones.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Soul Glo posted:

In order to reinstall Windows, I need a repair disk, yes? Should it be a CD-RW or DVD? Just gonna make one for this new computer since I have a history of needing to reinstall for viruses and whatnots. Thanks.

You need an install disk, not a repair disk, and only if you do a clean install from boot. It will not fit on a CD, unless it's an official XP build (slipstreaming to SP3 will put you well over 700MB).

Vista and 7 can install from flash drives (although you'd need the entire contents of the DVD on it, and for it to be bootable). Also they can install from within Windows (with the former caveat) without causing the folder confusion doing so with XP would cause.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 7, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Soul Glo posted:

So if I just go buy a DVDR, I can just make an install disc? I don't see an option in the start menu search for it, only a repair disc.

Yeah, I figured you'd know that install media only legally comes in Microsoft-sanctioned formats (like retail boxes and MSDN). Sorry. If you have MSDN, you probably already know how to make install media (whether disc, flash or mounted). If you had retail, you'd have the disc.

See, this is why I don't like buying prebuilt systems - they never just give you an install disc. [/aside]

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

swalk posted:

I have an Nvidia GTS 240 in PCIE which works fine for dual monitors. I want to add a 3rd monitor so I tried my old FX 5200. It automatically showed up as "Standard VGA" which doesn't work.

I read you need to use the same drivers for both cards in 7 but Nvidia stopped supporting the FX 5200. I installed some modified drivers and the card is recognized but properly but still doesn't start.

I'll buy a new PCI video card if I have to. I think my options are the 8400GS and the 9400GT but I still don't know if that's guaranteed to work.

You have to, at least if you want a third display. (For that matter, in your shoes I don't think I'd hang onto the FX 5200 at all.) And I'd recommend sticking with something at least 8-series.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dendra posted:

Well installing 7 was relatively painless apart from the installation hanging and having to start the explorer process manually (apparently this is a common bug?)

Anyway, the windows.old folder that was created...can I get rid of that straight away or is some of the stuff still being used?

Nothing in there is attached to the new Windows environment.

Unless you're the Lord Protector of Backups, though, you might want to sift through it for stuff you don't want to throw out. (Media and stuff. Hanging on to old system files or libraries is a recipe for disaster.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dendra posted:

Just of interest, why is hanging onto old system stuff bad?

In and of itself it isn't, but mixing previous and current Windows environments is about as good of an idea as it sounds, and the less risk you expose your computer to, the better.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Landerig posted:

Part of the reason is sometimes I may want to access them using means other then Windows, and I want them to be easy to find if I need to.

Have you considered keeping the files on a neutral partition, instead of an OS system drive?

quote:

Yes, in time I will have to learn how to change my habits.

Fixed that for you. This change has been foretold since XP was first released - and it's been here since Vista was - so your rate of adaptation is glacial at best. From the outside, it makes more sense to assume you either CAN'T adapt or you're throwing out excuses in a desperate attempt not to.

quote:

I learn the hard way. If some script or virus comes along and destroys my system, I'll swap hard drives then figure out what went wrong and adapt.

Only extortionware still works like this. These days a lot of malware writers try to make their payloads as inconspicuous as possible. Leave the door open and someone could very well see anything you do, or 'borrow' your resources for their own ends, or remove specific files without you noticing until you go for them (because everything else is still okay), or even plant incriminating evidence on your computer.

As long as all you're hiding behind is prosumer-grade ubiquitous firewalls, you're barely above the underemployed people who download everything and click on all the attachments when it comes to the 'get your rear end kicked by hackers and botnets' totem pole, and as long as you're unwilling to change, not even constant real-time offsite backups will help you.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

This goes out to, well, probably everyone actually (and maybe even the OP):

The best way to minimize filesystem headaches with games and emulators is to install them anywhere except in Program Files*. In fact, a fair number of games installers will target C:\Games if it exists (warning - may target any other drive's \Games directory, so heads up), and a few will outright make it for you, so that's probably the best place to put 'em.

Also: On the off chance that whatever program is in DLL Hell isn't installed in Program Files, what kind of software doesn't recognize DLLs in its own directory?

Double-also: If you have DEP enabled for everything (also a good idea), keep in mind that some things, like ePSXe (and, I've found, Deus Ex) run afoul of it. They'll need to be whitelisted on the DEP page, or replaced.

*Note that \Users, \Windows, \ProgramData and any filesystem-mandated directories probably aren't hot ideas either.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

devmd01 posted:

I think he's possibly talking about 7 Enterprise, which doesn't have games installed by default? Y'know, because it's intended for enterprise use?

Doesn't Windows 7 Professional also install with games switched off?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

El Grillo posted:

Sorry, I guess this must've been asked somewhere, but does anyone know why they've removed the graph display on disk defragmenter in Windows 7? And can anyone recommend a decent freeware defragger which will give me a chart display similar to that which XP's defragger UI had? Cheers.

Probably because they're trying to make the computer seem as bone-simple as possible. Also: Is this your card?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Who cares? I guess you can use Defraggler if you really want to see stuff move around, but who honestly watches a defrag?

Apparently he does? I can attest that watching cluster charts in motion can be almost meditative (or - for some - a cure for insomnia).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Windows 7 for System Builders (1 license):
ULTIMATE           180.
Professional       140.
Home Premium       100.

Note that A) You'll only need to go above Professional in certain circumstances and B) should never have to go all the way to Ultimate.

So yes, you may in fact be a jackass.

Also: FalloutGod: Make sure to get the 64-bit version, unless you're using an Atom or something (and even then check against Intel's specs for the chip to see if you can do it). If your system is so old that it can't run 64-bit and ISN'T an Atom, then you need to replace it anyway.

Each key works on either architecture, but it's a pain in the rear end if the disc isn't the right one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

kri kri posted:

K-lite has 64 bit codecs if people are looking for them still

http://codecguide.com/

That's a funny way to spell http://shark007.net/.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

On behalf of everyone without MSDN (or with a slow MSDN AA server :argh: or something), I'd like to ask whether checksums for the official SP1-integrated images are :filez: now.

If they aren't, you'll probably spare a lot of goons a lot of frustration by posting them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nask26 posted:

Is a Antivirus needed nowadays? Most people I know use Microsoft security essentials, is that usually enough? We are upgrading from MBP's so its something we havent dealt with in years. Any recommendations would be great.

Yes, but MSE is antivirus enough if you aren't basically trying to infect your PC.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell did this happen, and more importantly how do I fix it? I'm logged as as a typical admin user...

This is intended behavior. It MAY go away if you log in as "Administrator", but this would be senseless. It should also go away if you monkey with UAC, but this is also senseless.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

efb

Or just drop it into an enclosure.

Also 'Administrator' is standard on many XP Home installs and doesn't have a password by default what the hell were you thinking Microsoft.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 16, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It's probably in the thread, but it's not readily apparent, so:

I'm switching out an AMD/nForce motherboard for a Sandy Bridge motherboard later today. What do I have to do (besides the obvious reactivation) if I want to keep my existing instance of Windows 7?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Factory Factory posted:

Install the SATA drivers from the Intel board before you make the switch, make sure the SATA controller on the new board is set to AHCI (same, presumably, as on the old one), and be prepared to reinstall anyway because it'd be faster than fixing it if it mucks up.

I suppose I should hold off until the last day of the grace period to reactivate, then.

All right, thank you.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I switched out a Phenom II/nForce (Asus M3N-HT) setup for a Sandy Bridge/Z68 (MSI Z68MA-ED55) setup recently, without reinstalling, and just about everything worked fine, except now my mouse (Logitech MX518) doesn't work on boot.

Boot menu (UEFI)? Works just fine. Windows? Gotta uninstall it from device manager and rescan to make it go. Every single time.

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone else know how to solve this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

agentq posted:

Thanks for the tool. Why wouldn't Microsoft want the most updated software to be published?

Dunno.

Technet has the checksums for install images for pretty much everything Microsoft's ever put out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Role Play McMurphy posted:

What do RMA and peaky mean? Guess I'll have to order a new one.

Your drive is starting to fall apart. Save what data you can and turn it in for the warranty.