Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamz
May 12, 2007

Galoomp!
I'm trying to install the 64bit RC onto a new partition on a drive thats got an XP install and after several attempts I'm still not having any luck. On every attempt, the installation process gets to 'completing installation...' then after a minute or so the computer restarts without any warning. It then says there was a problem starting windows and do I want to boot safe mode etc. If I try to boot normal, it gets to "Starting Windows" then reboots itself after a minute and I keep going around in the same loop. I never get up to the part where it actually asks for my CD key and does all the final configuration type stuff.

I've tried burning a new install disk, checking that SHA hash for the iso matches, checked my RAM is fine with memtest and checked that a mountain of dust hadn't mysteriously accumulated inside my case since it was last cleaned out.

I'm just about out of ideas and I've got no idea what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Hardware:
-Athlon 64 X2 4000+
-1GB RAM
-ASRock ALiveNF7G motherboard (nVidia chipset)
-onboard video/sound
-2 HDDs, dual booting XP with Ubuntu 9.04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamz
May 12, 2007

Galoomp!

alseyn posted:

Using your display with DVI connection by any chance? Hook up analog until the install is done and you've installed latest Nvidia driver. Then switch it back to DVI.

Don't ask :v:

Plugged in an old CRT monitor and got everything installed and working. Thanks for the tip!